Print Thread
Page 65 of 65 1 2 63 64 65
#1058945 - 09/04/18 07:51 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
This was my last session on Sunday. We ran the course in reverse with one small change...

https://youtu.be/56_1FLNDzVY

I was leery of my tire wear and the car didn't quite feel right so I quit pretty early in the session after a few good clean hot laps. After the car sat in paddock for a while, I noticed the left rear going flat. Good thing I quit early and this finished my day.

Still haven't investigated what it picked up and don't really care...as all tires are shot now.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1058946 - 09/04/18 07:57 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
FrankOC Offline
10+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
10+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
I cheated first time through and fast forwarded to 6:10!

84 - Stock
85 - ZZ383, 6-speed
#1058947 - 09/04/18 08:15 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
lol... laugh Did you like my recovery?

Lance
#1058961 - 09/05/18 03:34 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
What a blast that must be, open track, some good company and a car that comes home in one piece. The elevation changes aren't extreme but interesting enough to make the car work harder. A couple corners seems to be difficult, off camber maybe and it's easy to carry to much entry speed.

Car and engine works very well, sound good. When cranking out in 4th what's the rpm and mph you saw?

Something overlooked is running hard like that takes it's toll on the body, Lance is still young yet and probable that doesn't wear on him. About 5 laps would be my limit.

Sat going to drive one of those dirt car experiences, the Kenny Wallace thing, I'll sleep all the way home after that short ride.
Bob

#1058963 - 09/05/18 04:08 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
It was more fun than should be allowed by law... Every time I do one of these weekends I ask myself why I don't do these more often. Especially when they go well... The blind hills and corners were awesome!! Thankfully I had a good friend there that is also an instructor and a great driver himself to ride with me on my first 3 sessions on Sat and he really taught me how to get around the track. The corner I had my off on I messed up a few times by braking too late (as cresting the hill instead of before) and it unloaded the rear tires causing them to lock up. I also had trouble finding 3rd gear several times...this has kind of been a reoccurring theme last couple of track days. Not sure if it's just me or the shift rail starting to get a bit wonky...

Dash showed a high RPM around 5900 RPM and a high speed of around 118 mph there. What was more fun was the 100 mph solostorm showed going up the hill after the straight on Saturday's course...THAT was a blast once Dale convinced me it would stick, no brakes were needed and to hammer the gas up there...

And yeah, it's work doing this... I put over 125 miles on my car on track, at speed in a day and a half during (7) 20 minutes sessions. It was also hot, and at a higher elevation...I drank a ton of water though and made sure to continue to munch healthy food all day both days as well.

Not sure about the 1 piece part...still haven't inspected the car. My trunk release fell off and was hanging by the cable, a bolt fell out of my shift handle rendering it useless in neutral while on track during my first session, and my tires are shot...one is even flat... I do know this though, I got hardly anything out of the catch can after running all day on Saturday.

Have fun at the dirt track deal Bob...would love to do that some day myself...

Lance
#1058966 - 09/05/18 03:39 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
Crusher Offline
15+ Year
Crusher  Offline
15+ Year

Jersey Shore
Lance, your garage sucks. Frank and I will come to your house in January and offer you some suggestions on how to make it more user-friendly and a bit more ascetically pleasing. It's what we do. lol

1988 502/502
ProCharger SC
Fast XFI Fuel Inj.
564 RWHP 574 TQ
http://SSMonteCarlo.com
#1058968 - 09/05/18 04:01 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Perfect!! I'd really appreciate the input... smile

Lance
#1058971 - 09/06/18 01:08 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
FrankOC Offline
10+ Year
FrankOC  Offline
10+ Year

Cape Cod, MA
Originally Posted by SSLance
Perfect!! I'd really appreciate the input... smile

Happy to help

84 - Stock
85 - ZZ383, 6-speed
#1058987 - 09/07/18 05:15 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Lance tell them to pack a tire machine and balancer in their suitcases when they come out for Barrett Jackson. Kevin can pick the color.
Bob

#1058994 - 09/07/18 04:09 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Business is about to pick up once again here in the shop.

The car has been cleaned up, new skins for the Forgelines will be here early next week and then there is this...

[Linked Image]

Lance
#1058999 - 09/08/18 12:27 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Does he now sell kinda a bolt in kit? Back seat is already gone.
Bob

#1059011 - 09/08/18 09:43 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Sometimes when you make an upgrade to a car, you make other weaknesses appear and become prevalent. Such was the case after we added the ATS spindles and new brakes to Barney. The increased Ackerman and better camber gain created a bunch more front grip which made the front of the car roll way more in turns. This increased roll released the inside rear tire more than before causing both a loose in condition because the brakes would lock up and slide the inside rear tire as well as a free post apex condition. This became ever so apparent when we reviewed the pictures from the Good Guys event last March.

[Linked Image]

The grip was great and the car was fast...but if we could tame the roll down and get the inside rear tire back into the track again, it will be even better. So a plan for a new front sway bar was put into place. Since I already had a few steps stiffer than the stiffest bolt in sway bar available for a G-Body, we decided to step up to a weld in tube style mount for a 3 piece splined end front bar. This will give us a ton of more options for front bar specs...

[Linked Image]

Now that the parts are here, I can take things apart and see just how and where it is all going to fit. I know the UMI front triangulation brace will either need to be cut up or replaced with something custom made as well as it is directly in the way of where this tube needs to go. I love that part...it is awesome!! I kind of hate to cut it up but that may be the best option rather than just starting from scratch.

The tube, bar, and swing arms will all hang under the frame and I'll weld double shear tabs on the front of my control arms for the end links to bolt to. It looks like these swing arms will end up 4-5 inches shorter than the ones on the the current MuscleBar which means the bar will need to be about directly under the pitman and idler arms instead of up in front of them where the current bar rides. The shorter arms help with way less leverage on the bar which means a stiffer overall rate (less roll).

I have new tires being mounted up Tuesday and have a local SCCA Autocross Next Sunday the 16th, so I'll probably wait until after the 16th to start taking things apart. The goal is to have the new bar in place and tuning done at an SCCA event before the Good Guys Fall show the 2nd weekend in November. Wish me luck!!!

Lance
#1059018 - 09/10/18 01:05 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
thepezking639 Offline
10+ Year
thepezking639  Offline
10+ Year

Livonia, MI
Originally Posted by SSLance
Sometimes when you make an upgrade to a car, you make other weaknesses appear and become prevalent. Such was the case after we added the ATS spindles and new brakes to Barney. The increased Ackerman and better camber gain created a bunch more front grip which made the front of the car roll way more in turns. This increased roll released the inside rear tire more than before causing both a loose in condition because the brakes would lock up and slide the inside rear tire as well as a free post apex condition. This became ever so apparent when we reviewed the pictures from the Good Guys event last March.

[Linked Image]

The grip was great and the car was fast...but if we could tame the roll down and get the inside rear tire back into the track again, it will be even better. So a plan for a new front sway bar was put into place. Since I already had a few steps stiffer than the stiffest bolt in sway bar available for a G-Body, we decided to step up to a weld in tube style mount for a 3 piece splined end front bar. This will give us a ton of more options for front bar specs...

[Linked Image]

Now that the parts are here, I can take things apart and see just how and where it is all going to fit. I know the UMI front triangulation brace will either need to be cut up or replaced with something custom made as well as it is directly in the way of where this tube needs to go. I love that part...it is awesome!! I kind of hate to cut it up but that may be the best option rather than just starting from scratch.

The tube, bar, and swing arms will all hang under the frame and I'll weld double shear tabs on the front of my control arms for the end links to bolt to. It looks like these swing arms will end up 4-5 inches shorter than the ones on the the current MuscleBar which means the bar will need to be about directly under the pitman and idler arms instead of up in front of them where the current bar rides. The shorter arms help with way less leverage on the bar which means a stiffer overall rate (less roll).

I have new tires being mounted up Tuesday and have a local SCCA Autocross Next Sunday the 16th, so I'll probably wait until after the 16th to start taking things apart. The goal is to have the new bar in place and tuning done at an SCCA event before the Good Guys Fall show the 2nd weekend in November. Wish me luck!!!

Lance, you will definitely have your solution to lifting the inside tire done first, but I just pulled the trigger on this today:
[Linked Image]

S197 Mustang 8.8 rear. Came with all of the links and hardware. It will take some work to get it in there, the tubes have to be shortened 3 inches aside, custom axles, rotors, etc. but it will be interesting to see how two different solutions to lifting the inside tire compare.

86 SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS GEN IV intake, 92mm TB, 30lb injectors, Summit Stage 3 NA Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Microsquirt ECU, Built 200-4R, B&M Megashifter, Torsen LSD, QA1 Lvl 3 Suspension Kit, UMI Front & Rear Braces. Check out my build thread: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126188-SSLOW6-0-Build
#1059044 - 09/12/18 12:38 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Added my Solostorm data overlay to my fast lap from Saturday's session.

https://youtu.be/dx9w72wPx2M

And here was Sunday's lap running counter clockwise.

https://youtu.be/f9Vxt0mBiqU

Lance
#1059045 - 09/12/18 01:55 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
thepezking639 Offline
10+ Year
thepezking639  Offline
10+ Year

Livonia, MI
Looking good out there Lance.

Every time I see the car step out of line, it seems like it can be blamed on the triangulated 4 link. Or maybe your foot, but I’m willing to offer the benefit of the doubt to the 40 year old chassis design it seems that corner exit is where you are losing time. That being said..

Corner entry looks great, you’ve got the line and the car is gripping. Your steering input looks good, but you’re busy. What box are you using? Have you considered one of the sweet 10:1 boxes?

Also despite being “a boring truck motor”, the audio is great. It would be nice to see an RPM overlay, I think you could stand for more gear with the T56.

86 SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS GEN IV intake, 92mm TB, 30lb injectors, Summit Stage 3 NA Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Microsquirt ECU, Built 200-4R, B&M Megashifter, Torsen LSD, QA1 Lvl 3 Suspension Kit, UMI Front & Rear Braces. Check out my build thread: http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/126188-SSLOW6-0-Build
#1059047 - 09/12/18 02:25 AM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Thanks Travis...

I think the majority of my loose condition can be attributed to 2 things, the outside front is dipping so far because of the front grip and the rebound in the rear shocks is picking the inside rear up. This causes the inside rear to start sliding if on the brakes creating an instant loose in condition.

That said. I'd much rather have that than the constant push the Charger im following had. I HATE driving a car that wont turn..

Ron sure things stiffening the front roll stiffness up will cure all ills... we'll see soon enough.

Lance
#1059104 - 09/17/18 04:14 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Raced with AZSOLO SCCA yesterday. Put brand new tires on a couple days before so it took a run or two to get the mold release off them...then it stuck pretty darn good. Didn't hear any fender\tire contact anywhere even with a 270# passenger in the right seat on my last and fastest run so the work with the Fender roller might have been enough to fix the issue at autocross speeds.

Here was the fastest run of the day.

https://youtu.be/-7gD0qIUUBI

Got about a month before the next local SCCA race and have the opportunities to do some road course stuff soon as well...but thinking about pulling the shocks to do some work on them and working on the sway bar install instead. Would love to have the sway bar installed and tested BEFORE Good Guys in early November.

Lance
#1059106 - 09/17/18 06:18 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
200kSS Offline
15+ Year
200kSS  Offline
15+ Year

Bloomsdale, MO
How big was the shoehorn to get the passenger out of the race seat? Asking for a friend....

Always enjoy the videos, thanks for sharing.

88 SS Black/Oxblood. Power Tour car
80 Malibu 2dr. Drag Week car
#1059108 - 09/17/18 09:28 PM Re: SSLance's Build thread [Re: SSLance]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Lol... he had to get back out of the car to put his helmet on, couldn't get it over his head while in the seat... laugh

Lance
Page 65 of 65 1 2 63 64 65

Random Images
903/thumbs/slab2.jpg
by Heavy Chevy
558/thumbs/Z65_Paul-10HQ1024x768.jpg
by Z65_Paul
500/thumbs/Picture2.jpg
by mrengineer
500/thumbs/monte_interior.jpg
by NYmonteSS