Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#820763 - 09/01/10 11:33 AM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: mmc427ss]  
kevins88ss Offline
kevins88ss  Offline

Southern Maine
If you take the time to manually set the High and Low on the SPAL v3 then it works excellent. I use an AutoMeter sender in the manifold coolant neck and its worked great for me.

#854348 - 02/17/11 04:41 AM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: kevins88ss]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
No time to build a PWM controller as of yet. Got into other projects with water fuel cells and that has taken up a lot of my time lately. I've just recovered from an auto accident for the most part and will be resuming work on some controller ideas. The V3 Spal PWM's have a built-in over-current protection circuit which will shut the unit down if start-up current exceeds 25 amps....from what I have tested, the inrush current is tripping the circuit. So for any fatory style HO fan, the V3 is not the best choice.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#868162 - 04/20/11 11:52 PM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: gmachinz]  
sslover85 Offline
sslover85  Offline

Killeen, Texas
I'm almost finished my install. I'm putting a taurus fan in my Monte. Now all I really have to do is figure out how to finish my 144 alternator install.....

85 SS Sold
80 El Camino Sold
62 Chevy Impala
96 Impala SS

#871399 - 05/05/11 06:12 PM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: sslover85]  
jons86 Offline
jons86  Offline

greensboro,nc
hey anybody, got my serpentine sys on finally. need info on electric Intrepid fans I have 4 wires. i'm currently using the 2 middle wires going to the cheap adj fan controller. i need high speed to run my a/c.

#871413 - 05/05/11 07:57 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
BP One Offline
BP One  Offline

Lyman, SC
Greetings,

Been reading this FAQ and finally nabbed a Mark VIII fan this past week. Since I'm doing a frame-on resto-mod, installing the fan is a ways off yet.

My question is: has any one considered using the STOCK fan controller off of the donor car? I must've been the first guy to molest this particular car in my local U-Pull-It, and everything was still in place. I mean, if the factory had worked out the initial current draw problem, why not swap over the controller too?

Just wondering.

Brian

Brian

My Homepage

1987 Monte Carlo SS
1987 Monte Carlo LS
2001 Silverado

#893383 - 09/04/11 09:33 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: BP One]  
tall t-top Offline
tall t-top  Offline

San Antonio, Texas
Would there be any issues pulling my constant 12v from the stud on the back of the altenator. I have a dual fan set up. Each fan is gonna have its own relay that will be triggered by a ignition 12v sorce. the dual fans are from a camaro.

Last edited by tall t-top; 09/04/11 09:34 PM.

Andrew

86 MC SS t-top, 305 with port and polish, Edlebrock Performer Intake, Flowtech Afterburner headers, duals to Jeg's chambered mufflers, Jeep steering shaft, Turbo Eclipse seats (Weekend toy but a project at the moment)
91 C1500 extended cab, TBI 350, 2in suspension lift, Jeep steering shaft. (Daily driver)
2012 Mitsu Outlander Sport (wife's car)
#921576 - 03/04/12 08:09 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: tall t-top]  
tall t-top Offline
tall t-top  Offline

San Antonio, Texas
any thoughts on my question?

Andrew

86 MC SS t-top, 305 with port and polish, Edlebrock Performer Intake, Flowtech Afterburner headers, duals to Jeg's chambered mufflers, Jeep steering shaft, Turbo Eclipse seats (Weekend toy but a project at the moment)
91 C1500 extended cab, TBI 350, 2in suspension lift, Jeep steering shaft. (Daily driver)
2012 Mitsu Outlander Sport (wife's car)
#921591 - 03/04/12 09:56 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: tall t-top]  
Hunter79764 Offline
Hunter79764  Offline

Grand Prairie, Tx
It would work if you had to do it that way, but its better to hook it to the battery if can. You will get a dip in your lights etc when the fans come on if you are hooked to the alternator directly. The battery helps smooth it out. Technically it shouldn't matter since there is wire connecting the battery and alternator, but it makes a difference.

Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer...

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#994574 - 02/10/14 03:56 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: BP One]  
onovakind67 Offline
onovakind67  Offline

Fairfield, CA
Originally Posted By: BP One
Greetings,

Been reading this FAQ and finally nabbed a Mark VIII fan this past week. Since I'm doing a frame-on resto-mod, installing the fan is a ways off yet.

My question is: has any one considered using the STOCK fan controller off of the donor car? I must've been the first guy to molest this particular car in my local U-Pull-It, and everything was still in place. I mean, if the factory had worked out the initial current draw problem, why not swap over the controller too?

Just wondering.

Brian

The guys over at NastyZ28 have beat this thing into submission with a stock Volvo part.

http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/showthread.php?t=200028

#994608 - 02/10/14 11:53 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
Well, having been building Mark VIII and other Motorcraft fan kits for 9 years now, I can tell you the Lincoln VSC controller for the fan can't realistically be configured for universal use because they use several fixed capacitors to vary voltage load to the fan based on vehicle speed, coolant temp, ambient air temp, AC useage, etc. It's basically a PCM to control all aspects of fan speed. Cracking Lincoln's code for input values would be tricky enough.....way over the top for a fan control imo and a waste of resources.
I have dealt with at least 150+ Mark VIII fans both new and used and have yet to encounter a 2-speed Mark VIII. The Volvo relay is a tuff unit to be sure....I use them for both the T-Bird fans as well as the 2-speed Crown Victoria fans which I install in a lot of 73-87 trucks, K5's and Suburbans. For a dual speed fan, they can't be beat.

My resistor harnesses utilize parts that are readily available at any parts store or dealership even....so this makes it more "serviceable" than even the Hollister kit imo. My kits aren't voodoo-they're based on a proven resistor method which GM and others have used on millions of vehicles. My relays act as carriers of current based on amount of resistance they must flow throw to vary voltage at the fan. Temp. switch ground and/or override feature determine which relays are "on" or "off" as it were. I can send you some info if you'd like....I'd put mine up against anybody else's kit for evaluation.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#994653 - 02/11/14 01:17 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
FrankOC Online beer
10+ Year
FrankOC  Online Beer
10+ Year

East Sandwich, MA
I had a Mark VIII single speed fan which would cause the engine to stumble when it came on. I replaced it with a new, true 2-speed fan out of a 94 Cougar XR7. It looks identical to the Mark VIII fan and approximate airflow of the Mark VIII fan. It cured the stumble issue and makes for a clean looking installation.

84 - Stock
85 - ZZ383, 6-speed
#994726 - 02/12/14 03:39 AM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
Yes-that is the same RF24 fan as the Tbirds use. Using a Volvo controller with it is the way to go for the 2-speed fans.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#1006251 - 06/29/14 08:09 AM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: sslover85]  
Fred SS Offline
Fred SS  Offline

Glassboro, NJ
Originally Posted By: sslover85
I'm almost finished my install. I'm putting a taurus fan in my Monte. Now all I really have to do is figure out how to finish my 144 alternator install.....

I have the Ramcharger fans, and my volt gauge would read fine until I had my headlights on while idling. I installed a CS-144 alternator using the aluminum bracket from gmachinz and it is great. The volt gauge stays over 12 volts no matter what electrical accessory comes on.

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Edelbrock TES Headers (Jet Hot Coated). GM Goodwrench 350, TPI & Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, ported plenum, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, Bilsteins, TCI 2400 stall converter, Ramcharger fans, SLP ZR1 rims.
#1006306 - 06/29/14 09:54 PM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
Nice, Fred! I did a charging system upgrade on a 70 Monte and seen similar results. Running system voltage was 14.66 out of the alternator and measured 14.62 @ the fuse block BAT terminal inside the car. With AC on high, headlights on, running an amplified stereo system up and operating the power windows system voltage only dipped to 14.52-54! That combined with the 4ga. system upgrade was a substantial improvement over the stock charging system.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#1013929 - 10/08/14 03:50 PM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
Keithss Offline
Keithss  Offline

Jackson,mi
I am looking at the Billet Specialties V-Trac pulley system number V3220. It comes with a 105 amp. alternator and there is no option to up grade. Do you think 105 is enough to run the AC and Fan's??
Any one know what the stock out put is for a 85 Monte SS?
Keith

#1013935 - 10/08/14 07:19 PM Re: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
I believe the stock amp rating is 78A and is an SI type. There are other options for a serpentine conversion if that's your main reason unless of course you like the looks of it. I would suggest taking a look at the stock GM serpentine setup if for no other reason other than parts are easily accessible at any parts store.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#1041809 - 07/25/16 07:42 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
Lobito Offline
10+ Year
Lobito  Offline
10+ Year

North Bergen, NJ
Gents,

I'm on the final stretch of upgrading to electrical fans on my black Monte, just waiting on one final piece to my puzzle. So far I have replaced (not by choice) the water pump, radiator and upgraded to a CS144 and ramcharger fans.

I'm a huge DIY fan. Anything I can do myself I'll do. But after doing the fan upgrade to a couple of my previous Montes, I have come to terms with myself and just going to buy the wire harness next time. Buying little things here and there to get these to work can be a pain. Not to mentioned the wire they sell at some of these auto parts stores is garbage.

I have never bought a full wire harness from Gmachinz, only a pig tale for the fans. But next time, he will be the person I go to. I have had him on the phone in two different occasions, and the guys knows his $hit. From the amount of strands in a certain gauge wire to the amp draw of a flux capacitor.

If you sit there and figure out the cost of the parts and time you spent putting everything together, his prices are VERY reasonable. And let's face it guys, some of us suck at soldering and wiring things that work correctly.

Just in case, here's my disclaimer:
I don't make a cent from him or get any sort of discounts. I have been around on this board long enough to know a good vendor from a "ehhhh" vendor.

just my 2 cents =)

[Linked Image]
#1058190 - 07/10/18 02:37 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Yep an old thread, but need to update my 12 year old Spal PWM install.

After more than a decade using the Spal controller it started to behave erratic, low fan would come on when the engine was started cold. Tried to reset low/high set points and it wouldn't respond to the new points. But it would run both fans when the overide was turned on. Took the car for a short ride up the street, pulled back in front of the shop doors and the A/C compressor pressure relief blew off dumping some R12, fans didn't turn on. Checked all the connections for corrosion, removed all power from it and reconnected, now the controller is dead, unresponsive. Time to shop for a new controller. As it goes the reviews on several of the controllers out there are not good.

Looking at all the available controllers there is only one stand alone that does what i need and is weatherproof to some degree. Don't want a probe stuck in the rad, need to have A/C request, need to be able to run the fans via an overide, want a PWM version, needs to be small and not a visual eyesore, weatherproof to some degree. My Spal dual 11" fans draw only 25 amps each so don't have the high current draw some of the other dual fans have.
Yesterday ordered an Autocoolguys 85 PWM controller along with their inline sensor which installs in the lower rad hose. http://www.autocoolguy.com/ Several conversations with Darrel, who was immediately available for questions, and the unit will ship out today.

Have already pulled out the Spal unit and it's extensive harness that was made 12 years ago to see what can be reused, which is most of it. Curiosity had me take what can be taken apart in the Spal PWM to see what caused it demise. Water had leaked past the seal around the low/high/LED area and corroded the PC board. The low switch and a 100mf cap were effected which are exposed, the rest of the board is epoxy sealed.
The water pump and rad were pulled prior to the failure and the cooling system and areas washed. That might have been the last straws for the Spal. But the amount of green corrosion around the low switch says water was seeping in for quite some time.

Will update the Autocool install and performance. Their take on sensor location is to install it in the outlet of the rad so the controller monitors return water temp. This is the first I've seen of this approach, time will tell how this concept works.
Bob

#1058196 - 07/10/18 06:04 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
200kSS Offline
15+ Year
200kSS  Offline
15+ Year

Bloomsdale, MO
Thanks for the update. My recently installed used SPAL PWM controller has been ok so far controlling Intrepid fans.

Looking hard at fan control devices/kits for a couple other cars in the fleet. A friend/shop owner recommends this: https://www.speedcooling.com/Programmable-Dual-Electric-Fan-Controller-Kit.html and runs it on his car (G-body sbc w/air). Says he's installed several with zero issues.

Looking forward to your install and review.

88 SS Black/Oxblood. Power Tour car
80 Malibu 2dr. Drag Week car
#1058206 - 07/10/18 10:19 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
Hunter79764 Offline
Hunter79764  Offline

Grand Prairie, Tx
I think lower radiator hose temperature sensing is close to optimal for actually knowing when the fan needs to come on, but there might be a slight system lag from when you want cool water to when you have it. I'm planning on building a controller (as a project, just because I can not because I can't find something off-the-shelf that would work). When I do, I plan on running it off the air temperature leaving the radiator. It is a little bit overkill as far as system response goes, but should ensure that there is always a steady supply of cool water to feed the engine. In reality, running off the lower radiator hose is going to get 99% the same result, which is reduced fan run time and power consumption.
If you (or anyone)has concerns about the power handling ability of a given PWM controller, you might look at using the controller to drive a Solid State Relay instead of the fan itself. It would add a few dollars, but you could size it to match High Amperage fans that would kill most controllers if you ran them directly. Just my $.02

Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer...

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1058256 - 07/14/18 04:02 AM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
The new controller arrived yesterday, spent hours finding the necessary pieces to wire it in. At almost twice the size of the Spal it will be much harder to hide and access. It will go in the same place as the Spal, between the battery and rad support, mounted to the rad support. An alum box shielding it from the elements similar to the Spal box and allowing it to breathe will require some effort and the hardest part of the install.

Alternator and ground wires where upgraded when the Spal was done way back when, they are good. The Spal fans pull 25 amps, they are fuses at 30 with #12 wire. A new #8 from the 85 PWM for the grounding of the fans will make for an more than adequate system. The new PWM grounds the fans using the controller, both fans run on PWM at the same time. A ground runs from each fan to the controller, a common ground back to the battery is used for both fans, this the reason for the #8.

All the Spal harness connections, 7 of them, were done with Metri-pack borrowed from 80s, 90s GM donors, 480 and 630 series, it was much easier finding new correct terminals to use then. Tried a dozen places looking for them and finally pulled some strings at my local Chev dealer parts guy, bingo. It's amazing how much junk electrical parts are on the racks at the car parts houses. Needed #8 wire, #10 stud ring connectors, forget it, ended up in my brother's stash from 25 years ago to find two. Yes, you can find some of this stuff on line, in a bag of 25, made who knows where, and have it next week. I like touching stuff before i buy it, gotta break that habit.
Bob

#1058269 - 07/15/18 02:57 PM Re: STICKY: Electric Fan FAQ [Re: lazygearhead]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Got the alum controller mount/water shield fabbed yesterday and dropped off to TIG the seams. Should pick it up Mon, dress the edges and maybe drop off at the powder coater Mon afternoon for some matte black coating. Fortunately have good guys here that turn stuff around quickly. The bracket for the oil catch can was 6 hour turn around for powdercaoating.

Autocoolguy, can't say enough about the tech support, OUTSTANDING! Called him last week twice for questions about which controller to buy, no voice mail needed, he picked up right away. Order shipped on Mon last week, Priority Mail, arrived Thurs. Emailed him last night, Sat 10pm, got response this morning. Emailed him again at 8:30am Sun morning, got response back in minutes. Now that is customer service !!!! And he is on the West coast, I'm East coast. With some of the other controllers I've heard bad things and poor customer service, weeks for replies or don't have an answer to why their controller failed again. So far VERY happy with Darrel at Autocoolguy.
Bob

Page 8 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Random Images
633/thumbs/IMAGE_00004.jpg
by sside25
500/thumbs/IMG_6813.jpg
by T-TopGene
500/thumbs/My_81_SS_Monte_clone3_454_decal.jpg
by Dave84
500/thumbs/423869_2936183456074_1605735519_2521566_97332247_n.jpg
by 02intimidator
1103/thumbs/207236_10200670103783447_2019535848_n.jpg