MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1053211 - 09/04/17 01:34 PM Caring For Paint?  
longislandcamper Offline
longislandcamper  Offline

Port Jefferson Station, NY
I've had my 85MCSS for almost 7 months now and have only given her a bath twice. Just a basic, two bucket hand wash with micro fiber towels. She is filled with swirl marks and I'd love to see about removing them. I gave her a bath yesterday and then snapped a pic.

[Linked Image]

I know it's not the original paint and there are a few spots in the outside edge of the doors where the paint is chipped so I was thinking about doing a little touch up to cover those spots. Here's my plan.

1) Give the car a good cleaning
2) Touch up the spots were the paint has chipped off
3) Clay bar everything.
4) Wash car again
5) Compound everything
6) Wash car again
7) Wax car

That's my plan of attack. Some of the exterior decals are starting to peel up just a bit. Would can I use to can them lay flat against the car again?

#1053223 - 09/04/17 10:29 PM Re: Caring For Paint? [Re: longislandcamper]  
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year

Reno, NV
Maguire's and Mothers has videos on how to fix your paint.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwgyaFpMP6w

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, column shift, silver with maroon bench interior

#1053228 - 09/05/17 04:33 PM Re: Caring For Paint? [Re: longislandcamper]  
tomh115 Offline
tomh115  Offline

Russellville, AR
Check out Adams polishes. I washed mine, clay bay and then used the paint correcting compound, finishing polish and a coat of their buttery wax. Looked great last year and I haven't had to rewax the car though I want to badly right now. Something about that process that relieves stress and relaxes me.

[Linked Image]
1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe
Objects in mirror are losing
https://www.flickr.com/gp/34317731@N08/3xk4xk
#1053833 - 10/11/17 09:57 PM Re: Caring For Paint? [Re: longislandcamper]  
84 ZZ4 Offline
84 ZZ4  Offline

San Antonio, TX
I have been using the Griots Garage brand for a while, and not only do they work good, but they are money back 100% if you are not satisfied.

I would do this:
- wash car thoroughly
- cleanup lower fender grime last, use a clean rag and wd40 to remove any asphalt, gum, etc, wash off the oily residue with your sponge & soap, & rinse.
Do NOT get wd40 on the stripes, it will begin dissolving the adhesive.
- get the clay bar and spray lubricant that goes with the product you are using. (Use disposable gloves to keep your fingers clay free, it will get into every pore and fingernail)
- clean one panel or a 2x2 foot area at a time, wipe down w clean micro fiber go topside first: roof, hood, trunk lid top, then front fenders, doors, rear fender from the top to the belt line, nose and tail last. No clay on rear bumper unless it is spotless, avoid black trim, fender arches, or any dirty area.
- knead the clay often as you work each panel.
- do not clay bar the lowerfender area, get grit on the clay, or drop it, as you may as well just throw the clay out.
- wax with a nice carnauba, let one panel dry as you apply one ahead,
- if you have an orbital keep the temperature on the sponges cool, low to medium speed is enough.
- wipe wax off with a micro fiber towel, final buff with a cleaner micro fiber.

Dark paint looks amazing when you use a carnauba wax, it fills in the micro scratches, and after coating the car, it will look much darker, as the paint pores are clean. Black cars look ink black. The wax bonds better to the paint too, extending the time between waxings.

If you buy the Griots Garage products, their spray wax works to extend the wax even further.

If you were closer, I'd invite you over for some Garage therapy with your Monte, I have orbitals and the decision to polish the car, or just wax, is not much extra effort, as the tool does the work.
I would suggest a clay bar cleaning and waxing, the least aggressive approach first. Test the wax on the hood, see how the results are, if you have to polish it, use the least aggressive polish. If your car has any original paint, it was extremely thin, rub delicately or not at all.

Once you clay bar a car area, you are committed to waxing those areas, plan your time accordingly, invite a friend over with some cold beverage.
beer

Some links:
Clay bar:
https://www.griotsgarage.com/produc...by=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search
Speed Shine (lubricant for the clay bar)
https://www.griotsgarage.com/product/speed+shine.do?sortby=ourPicks
I suggest the 35 oz bottle, the sprayers are tops!
Some of Griots Garage products are available at Advance Auto stores.
Get some micro fiber towels at Costco or Walmart

Random Images
500/thumbs/DSC05879.jpg
by Joe87monteSS
500/thumbs/83863863.jpg
by gmguy3car
500/thumbs/montecarlo1.jpg
by Nino
883/thumbs/monte_body_rust_012x2.jpg
by DSMonteSS
809/thumbs/monteeee2.jpg
by jenifuriouSS