MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1053397 - 09/14/17 06:50 AM FiTech fuel injection  
siberhusky0 Offline
siberhusky0  Offline

Kelso, WA
Any one have any experience the throttle body fuel injection? Thinking about going with this & curious about what was done for a return line & if a in tank or external pump was used. Also if a bracket was needed to correct the geometry for the throttle valve cable. Any input is welcome.
Thanks...

[Linked Image]
#1053399 - 09/14/17 07:12 PM Re: FiTech fuel injection [Re: siberhusky0]  
thepezking639 Offline
thepezking639  Offline

Clawson, MI
Originally Posted by siberhusky0
Any one have any experience the throttle body fuel injection? Thinking about going with this & curious about what was done for a return line & if a in tank or external pump was used. Also if a bracket was needed to correct the geometry for the throttle valve cable. Any input is welcome.
Thanks...

I really don't like throttle body EFI. too much money for a computer controlled carb.

First you have to do something about your factory fuel system. The easiest way is find out what level of pressure the FiTech system will tolerate. If it will handle 58 PSI, run a corvette filter regulator and run a returnless system with a 4.3l EFI tank, and a GN fuel sender with a walbro or aeromotive pump. Or at least that's what i did for my LS motor.

If you're really happy with your existing motor, going aftermarket EFI is a simple way to improve drivability, but if you're under 400 hp, I'd just toss a cammed 5.3L in there, it wont cost that much more in the long run if you can get a complete donor motor, and since you have to do the fuel system anyways, you might as well take the plunge to an LS motor. Just my .02

86 Monte Carlo SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS intake, 92mm TB, 30lb injectors, LS3 cam and valve springs, 3/4 inch primary stainless long tube headers, Microsquirt ECU, Fully Built Th 200-4R, B&M Megashifter, Auburn LSD, Qa1 Level Three Suspension Kit, UMI Front & Rear Suspension Braces
#1053440 - 09/18/17 12:38 PM Re: FiTech fuel injection [Re: siberhusky0]  
Hunter79764 Offline
Hunter79764  Offline

Grand Prairie, Tx
I know it will take regulated 58 psi (a la Corvette Regulator), and I believe it will handle the typical high pressure pump with it's own vacuum referenced regulator but I'm not certain there.
A buddy with a 86 Mustang just installed a kit, and used the Fuel Command Center. They say you don't need a return line, just a vent, but what they don't say is that the vent needs to be about 5/16" line, go directly to the tank, and handle liquid fuel. Also, it can't be the tank vent, as that is still needed. So basically, you need a return line. Other than that, he's very happy with the increased throttle response, cold start, and part throttle power from the FITech unit. It's a 450+ hp 351 (Ford), everything done the right way. He had a tuned Holley that made great power but always needed tweaking, so he switched to an Edelbrock and sacrificed a little performance for easier drivability (it's his daily driver). He compared the full throttle power to the tuned Holley with better midrange power.

On our cars, get a TBI Monte ('85+ 4.3l) or Grand National tank and an in-tank pump. Anything else will probably be more headache than it's worth, and still not provide what you want. All the other band-aid options line external pumps and weld-in sumps are for cars that don't have a drop-in, factory designed EFI tank like we have...

Sometimes you just need a bigger hammer...

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1053444 - 09/18/17 02:36 PM Re: FiTech fuel injection [Re: siberhusky0]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
I agree with Hunter.

Buy a spectra premium EFI sending unit for a 4.3l EFI car and be done. If needed upgrade to a Aeromotive 11169 or the equivalent Quantum brand (supposedly comes from the same manufacturer as AEM and Aeromotive)

I think there is still some debate on whether or not you will need a baffled tank, a lot of guys say even if you are auto crossing as long as you are above 1/4 tank you will be fine.

From what I remember with all the seminars I sat through pretty much every aftermarket TBI only needs 45 PSI at the throttle body. I think 58 psi is what the LS cars need at the rail and that is an oddball number compared to the rest of the industry, but 58 psi going to a TB that only needs 45 is just fine. Note: I could be completely mixed up on that.

Last edited by MC96; 09/18/17 02:37 PM.

86 SS
400SBC, 4l80e, MSD Atomic injection/trans controller, Tilt glass clip, all tubular arms, corvette brakes, 9" rear
In progress
#1053478 - 21 hours ago Re: FiTech fuel injection [Re: siberhusky0]  
Sloe87 Offline
Sloe87  Offline

Northern IL
Originally Posted by siberhusky0
Thanks...

I am running a FiTech unit. I installed a new baffled tank for 4.3L Monte with a Racetronix in-tank fuel pump. I ran -6 fuel lines along the passenger side frame rail. I am using a Holley corrector bracket that needed to be modified to clear the throttle blade shaft. For the wiring I used weatherpack connectors and placed all the connections between the distributor and the throttle body. You will need to run a relay for the fuel pump per FiTech tech support. I have about 600 miles on it and I'm very pleased so far.

1987 Monte Carlo SS
350 / 2004R
FiTech EFI
T-top
#1053480 - 20 hours ago Re: FiTech fuel injection [Re: siberhusky0]  
Zach Offline
Zach  Offline

Lawrenceville, GA
Running Holley sniper I love it

First car I bought was an 88 Mc ls when I was 16 been in love every since. Currently running 82 Mc cl with holley sniper efi 200-r4 4:10 gears work in progress

Random Images
500/thumbs/DSC_0016.JPG
by wanadrv
530/thumbs/Trunk13.jpg
by Phoenix
500/thumbs/Copy_of_DSC00109.JPG
by Aeroaddict
500/thumbs/engine31.JPG
by mightymonte10
500/thumbs/monte34.JPG
by JeffNKarolynss
Help MonteCarloSS.com