MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1053297 - 09/09/17 12:51 AM Removing Body Stripes  
guitars Offline
guitars  Offline

Toronto, Canada
This is on my 86 SS, white, mostly original paint, repainted areas must be more than 10 years old.
The OEM stripes are showing their age and I am thinking of removing them and go with a 87 striping scheme.
-will there be discoloration of the paint that was under the 31 year old stripes? I'm fairly certain the car had been garaged the majority of the time - dash is crack free, door seals are good, and the grey cloth interior looks good.
-safe method of removing old tape?
Just a thought for now

#1053307 - 09/09/17 09:09 PM Re: Removing Body Stripes [Re: guitars]  
upflying Offline
15+ Year
upflying  Offline
15+ Year

Reno, NV
I used a heat gun to soften and remove the stripes. It's slow going, heat just a small section at a time. I used a wooden or plastic scraper..like a popsicle stick.. Don't use heat on the bumper covers.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, column shift, silver with maroon bench interior

#1053313 - 09/10/17 02:09 AM Re: Removing Body Stripes [Re: guitars]  
BadSS Offline
15+ Year
BadSS  Offline
15+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
If you don't have a heat gun, if the wife or girlfriend has a serious blow drier, they'll work pretty good. As old as the stripes are, they'll probably be brittle and come off in small pieces, so it may take a while. WD-40 does well to remove any left over residue. Also,,, if it's been repainted, double check that they didn't tape over the stripes if they painted in their area. That's fairly common practice and would leave two paint line ridges if you removed the stripes. Good luck!!

Original owner of 1985 SS black hardtop w/gray interior. Frame-on restoration - 406 sleeper w/ heavily ported FIRST TPI. However the 1.875" headers, 3.5" duals, TH400, Ford 9", notched frame, and 10-point cage w/swing-out bars might tip you off it's not a lil' ole 305 TPI. Other mods: 2" drop, 18" wheels, f/r disk brakes, and custom stereo system.
#1053317 - 09/10/17 04:53 AM Re: Removing Body Stripes [Re: guitars]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Also if the paint is original lacquer the stripes were applied very soon after the car was painted. I removed the stripes on my car many moons ago, like 2001. The car is still original black lacquer, has been compounded, polished, waxed many times and you can still see where the adhesive from the stripes mixed with the still out gassing lacquer when installed and resulting in a ghosted appearance of the stripe in the paint to this day. I didn't try wet sanding the areas, always felt the paint was to thin to do that. The paint under the stripe will be perfect, also will be thicker due to not being touched by anything for decades. Removing of the ghost edges would be difficult.
Even when repainting an area that has had a stripe glued to the paint it's necessary to remove all the paint to bare metal to insure the adhesive won't reappear in the new paint.

As Kevin said a heat gun carefully heating the stripe will usually remove it, and because it's 30 years old may be tedious and come off in pieces, especially on the nose of the car because of stone chipping. There is a decal removal disc available but wouldn't use it on very old paint. Fifteen years ago when I removed the stripes I managed to buff through the paint in a very small area on the taillight housing. That's when I decided to not try to remove the ghosting of the stripes.

Others may have had better success with totally eliminating the ghosting. Maybe I'm the only one who ever looked at the paint hard enough to see it.
Bob

Random Images
500/thumbs/DSC05879.jpg
by Joe87monteSS
500/thumbs/83863863.jpg
by gmguy3car
500/thumbs/montecarlo1.jpg
by Nino
883/thumbs/monte_body_rust_012x2.jpg
by DSMonteSS
809/thumbs/monteeee2.jpg
by jenifuriouSS