MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#1051811 - 06/26/17 02:10 PM Re: New member's SS [Re: tedgley]  
Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,861
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

Member

Joined: Dec 1999
Posts: 11,861
New Berlin, WI
Those are some tall/meaty looking tires, the car looks good. Rubbed the wheel well all the way through and into the e-brake cable, wow.

Lance is really close, stock size is 215/65/15.

I also wanted to chime in that Photobucket is extremely annoying and feels pretty junky at this point. Transferring all of my photos from there to Imgur seems daunting but might be worth the effort.


-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42 -313/344@RW - 13.35 @103
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF2004r-7.5" 3.42 -248/340@RW - 14.55 @ 96
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#1051815 - 06/26/17 03:05 PM Re: New member's SS [Re: tedgley]  
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,456
SSLance Offline
Member
SSLance  Offline
Member

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,456
Smithville, MO
I run a 5" backspace rim and my tires just touch the sway bar and frame at full lock. I would think a 4" backspace rim would be fine, pretty sure stock rims are 4.25: back space. There are other factors involved though, alignment, camber and caster settings all affect where the wheel sits in regard to the frame.


Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1051831 - 06/27/17 10:19 AM Re: New member's SS [Re: SSLance]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 34
tedgley Offline
Member
tedgley  Offline
Member

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 34
Covington, KY
Originally Posted by SSLance
I run a 5" backspace rim and my tires just touch the sway bar and frame at full lock. I would think a 4" backspace rim would be fine, pretty sure stock rims are 4.25: back space. There are other factors involved though, alignment, camber and caster settings all affect where the wheel sits in regard to the frame.


What is a good alignment setup? I am thinking maybe -0.5 camber, 2.0 caster, and maybe 1/16 toe in.

#1051838 - 06/27/17 01:42 PM Re: New member's SS [Re: tedgley]  
Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,456
SSLance Offline
Member
SSLance  Offline
Member

Joined: Dec 2007
Posts: 5,456
Smithville, MO
Well... laugh That depends...

I currently run about -1.75 camber, +9.75 caster and zero toe and I love it. Your results may vary though and it does take some work to get that much caster out of a stock G body spindle. If you try to get that much caster with a drop spindle, your tire will be into the rear fender well pretty badly.


Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1052271 - 07/14/17 12:52 PM Re: New member's SS [Re: tedgley]  
Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 956
84ss355*4spd Offline
Member
84ss355*4spd  Offline
Member

Joined: Apr 2008
Posts: 956
Edmonton,AB,Canada
Those tires are the issue for sure. Tall tire with a drop .tire is sitting close yo the wheel well as it sits.


84ss current restoration
86 ss gone
85 ss new
85 z28 tpi
[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]
#1052329 - 07/16/17 02:02 PM Re: New member's SS [Re: 84ss355*4spd]  
Joined: May 2017
Posts: 34
tedgley Offline
Member
tedgley  Offline
Member

Joined: May 2017
Posts: 34
Covington, KY
Originally Posted by 84ss355*4spd
Those tires are the issue for sure. Tall tire with a drop .tire is sitting close yo the wheel well as it sits.


There have been a few comments about these tires being tall. And I have asked if I can run 8" rims with P245/60R15 in the front and P255/60R15 tires in the rear. Wouldn't that wheel/tire combination be pretty much just as tall as the ones I have on there now?

At this point, I'm not sure if anyone has really said whether I can run this wheel/tire package without cutting the frame and/or rolling the fender lips or that I would be fighting a losing battle. If I can run them, what changes will it take to do it?

#1052739 - 08/04/17 02:38 AM Re: New member's SS [Re: SSLance]  
Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
merky45 Offline
New Member
merky45  Offline
New Member

Joined: Jul 2017
Posts: 9
Hinesville, GA
Originally Posted by SSLance
Well... laugh That depends...

I currently run about -1.75 camber, +9.75 caster and zero toe and I love it. Your results may vary though and it does take some work to get that much caster out of a stock G body spindle. If you try to get that much caster with a drop spindle, your tire will be into the rear fender well pretty badly.


Sounds a good alignment set up. What tires you have? One buddy here got another 1985 Monte Carlo SS and he's looking for either Goodyear or Toyo tires as he got them on his trucks.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Random Images
500/thumbs/MC22.jpg
by 87Aerocoupe87
500/thumbs/Photo_8.JPG
by Chief Jimbo
500/thumbs/seats_for_monte.jpg
by Chevy Man
1164/thumbs/WP_20160523_004small.jpg
by Witman69
500/thumbs/frontss.jpg
by Mr-SShadow
Help MonteCarloSS.com


Site Maintenance Fund
Contributors this
Past Month


notsocleaverusername

Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!


CustomMonteSSParts.com
Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
GSI Interiors
HRpartsNstuff
Mikes Montes
Savitske Classic & Custom
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.6.0