MonteCarloSS.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1050194 - 04/21/17 09:38 AM Choke light and high idle at the same time  
Razinhail Offline
Razinhail  Offline

Kansas City Area, MO
This is a frustrating issue because it's inconsistently happening. Every once in a while my choke light will come on. When it does, my car idles a bit higher than normal and I can't get the idle to kick down below ~1500 RPM. Sometimes it goes out on its own after a few minutes (after which idle returns to normal), other times it stays on constantly for the next couple of days. I'll get in the car one day to go to work and as I fire up the car, the choke light goes out just like it should! I'm fairly confident it's the oil pressure sensor that provides power to the electric choke that is causing these issues (or the connections directly on it, but I suspect it's the sensor itself), but I can't find where it's at. I tried following the wiring from the choke, but it disappears in a wire loom and runs between the block and the firewall. I can't see down in there and I can't trace it any further. Does anyone have a picture of this oil pressure sensor so I can see its exact location? What's the part number so I can make sure I get the proper replacement? If I can find a way to get my hands back there to where it's at, is this something I can replace in my driveway or will I need to take the car to a shop to perform this service?

I should add, I have checked the voltage at the plug for the electric choke. With the key ON but the engine OFF, It's showing 12.4 volts (with the battery showing 12.5 volts during the same scenario.) This is with it unplugged from the electric choke. If I plug it in to the choke, the reading drops to ~0.5v. If I start the car, none of these readings change (while the choke light is on.) I haven't tested these when the choke light is not on during normal driving due to a lack of time recently, but that's on my to do list so I can compare. One of the previous owners for this car butchered the wiring harness so it's possible that instead of going to the oil pressure sensor, it goes elsewhere, but I've had the car for 3 years now and this is just now becoming an issue in the last 2-3 weeks. So... yeah, I dunno. When the choke light goes out right after starting the car, everything behaves exactly as it should.

Anyone have any pictures? Thoughts? Advice? Confessions?

EDIT: Completely bone stock 84 MCSS with 305 H.O. motor and quadrajet carb, computer intact.

Last edited by Razinhail; 04/21/17 09:43 AM.

1984 Monte Carlo SS with a stock 305 H.O. and stock TH350C
#1050197 - 04/21/17 01:07 PM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Razinhail]  
Richie Cat Online content
Richie Cat  Online Content

Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.
Oil pressure switch is at the back of the engine next to the distributor. 2 prong switch. Any auto parts store should have it. Just give them make/model/year and engine size.

83 SC, 355 w/TPI
#1050206 - 04/21/17 04:02 PM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Razinhail]  
86ttop Offline
15+ Year
86ttop  Offline
15+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
the switch refered to above connects the electric choke to 12 volts to start the process of heating the choke coil and relaxing the coil to allow the choke to open and kick off the high idle, good luck!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1050269 - 04/24/17 11:18 AM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Razinhail]  
Razinhail Offline
Razinhail  Offline

Kansas City Area, MO
Ok, so this is the part I'm looking for? I didn't realize it was called an oil pressure "switch". Good to know. As always, thanks for all the help!

http://www.autozone.com/external-en...last-oil-pressure-switch/123521_0_0_5835

#1050293 - 04/25/17 03:24 AM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Razinhail]  
86ttop Offline
15+ Year
86ttop  Offline
15+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
That switch, by the description on the product page, looks like it's for the oil light, did you do an application lookup??

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
#1050299 - 04/25/17 09:58 AM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Razinhail]  
Razinhail Offline
Razinhail  Offline

Kansas City Area, MO
Yeah, I did a specific lookup. I noticed it said the oil light, but we don't have any oil light on the SS, so I figured since it's a part for multiple applications that it's talking about what our car uses as the Choke Light.

This is why I created this thread. I have never messed with this before and want to make sure that I get the right part before I start yanking parts out LOL

Thank you for your help. I appreciate it!

#1050329 - 04/25/17 09:16 PM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Razinhail]  
86ttop Offline
15+ Year
86ttop  Offline
15+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
As you pointed out, when you see the choke light, the circuit to the choke heater is open, the switch closes it. the switch you posted most likely will do the job. If you have a decent parts store in your area such as a NAPA, go there and ask for the part, good luck!!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
#1050338 - 04/26/17 03:37 AM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Razinhail]  
ChasUno Offline
ChasUno  Offline

Bradenton, FL
Originally Posted by Razinhail
Ok, so this is the part I'm looking for? I didn't realize it was called an oil pressure "switch". Good to know. As always, thanks for all the help!

http://www.autozone.com/external-en...last-oil-pressure-switch/123521_0_0_5835

I removed the oil pressure switch on my Monte a couple of months back to make removal and installation of the inlet manifold slightly easier. Looking at the picture in the link above, it looked exactly like that. From my understanding, this is the switch that controls the choke and also the choke light on the dash.

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]
#1051108 - 05/25/17 09:00 PM Re: Choke light and high idle at the same time [Re: Richie Cat]  
Luis087 Offline
Luis087  Offline

Dallas,TX
Im having the same issue on my 87MCSS; it idles high and stays idled at 2500 rpm.. Is this the oil pressure switch??

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Random Images
500/thumbs/1988_and_2006_Monte_Carlo_SS_edited.jpg
by 84casper ss
594/thumbs/100_0353.JPG
by Kyrik
500/thumbs/0323071341a.jpg
by sick84cl
530/thumbs/GaugeConsole.jpg
by Phoenix
500/thumbs/Aerocoupe_Updated_Engine_Bay_Medium_.JPG