#1048533 - 02/28/17 08:23 AM Message Board Software Upgraded  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

El Camino Village, CA
I've just upgraded the message board software to the latest release. This is the first upgrade we've had in about 3 years. I'm still working through some issues with certain images not showing up. It's now past midnight, so I'll take up that challenge tomorrow.

Supposedly this new version is Mobile compatible. So it should look much better on a mobile phone. I have yet to test this functionality. Please report what you find if you happen to test it on a smart phone.

There are bound to be new features that I haven't found / checked out. Again, that will continue tomorrow. The board seems stable at the moment so I've decided to re-open in the mean time.

Oh, there are new styles available. I believe you can easily switch between them with the option box at the bottom of the page. Choose one of your liking. If I have time, I'll hunt for and add more styles.

That's it for now. It's been a long day.

PaulC

[Linked Image]
PaulC PaulC@MonteCarloSS.com - - - - Album Pictures
Original Owner, Custom two-tone T-Toped 86 SS - Webmaster of:
[Linked Image]
#1048535 - 02/28/17 11:48 AM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
kevins88ss Offline
kevins88ss  Offline

Southern Maine
Thanks Paul!

#1048538 - 02/28/17 03:21 PM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Couple things I noticed.
When in a forum you can't go "back", need to go to the "Forums" at the top and reopen entire forum. Doesn't seem to happen everywhere. Seems to be working better after I clicked on "previous thread".
Another is the "stickies" are highlighted, unreadable, until you put the cursor over them. Maybe tone down the background?
Bob

#1048542 - 02/28/17 07:02 PM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

El Camino Village, CA
Ok I think I got the icons / images issue straightened out. Bob, I'm not sure I understand the "back" issue you're describing. I can use my browser's back button to retreat from the current page. I'll look at the stickies next.

PaulC

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1048543 - 02/28/17 07:22 PM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

El Camino Village, CA
The sticky post style has been updated on the "Original Site" and "Original Site Dark" style sheets. This new version has much more flexibility in the style definitions. They added elements which were undefined in the old styles... the sticky post display being one of them.

I urge everyone to have a look at the various styles that are now available. I know a lot of users stick with the Original Site blue, which is default, or the Original Site Dark (my favorite). But there are alternatives available. You can quickly switch with the drop-down menu at the bottom of the page.

Please let me know if you find any other quirks or bugs. I'm still poking around in the background learning the new features.

PaulC

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1048544 - 02/28/17 09:30 PM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
Onebadbowtie86 Offline
Onebadbowtie86  Offline

Traverse City Michigan
When viewing on my phone, you can't see the most vurrent thread to the right of the topics.

'86 Monte carlo ss-Frame off resto-mod.
Ls2/t56/8.5"
#1048546 - 03/01/17 01:12 AM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

El Camino Village, CA
Jason...
The mobile view shows the Last post date / time and who posted under each forum, but not the name of the post. I think that's what you're referring to. I'll check to see if that is something I can add to the display.

Edit: I just noticed this only happens in 'portrait' mode on the smart phone. If I rotate the phone sideways to go into 'landscape' mode, the traditional information is shown to the right. In the mean time, that's a solution. I'll still look into what can be done.

Paul

Last edited by Z65_Paul; 03/01/17 01:14 AM. Reason: more info

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
#1048547 - 03/01/17 01:21 AM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
mmc427ss Offline
15+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
15+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
The stickes are good now.
What i meant by the "back" was my ISP wasn't allowing me to go back to the previous page on the forum, now it's working fine.
I prefer the original, but a nice feature to change things up now and then,

Lots of new things in My Stuff, any way of changing up the order so the few things you do use are at the top?
Bob

#1048564 - 03/01/17 04:26 PM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
DiamondSnake Offline
DiamondSnake  Offline

Québec, QC
Ah good to know! I thought The board had network problems of some sort. Good to know it's an upgrade smile

I'll try it on mobile as well once i get in a wifi zone smile

#1049453 - 04/01/17 01:16 AM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
AkronAero Offline
AkronAero  Offline

Akron OH
Paul - I am a big fan of all you do and appreciate what a chore this can be, so thanks again.
Happy with all the changes (probably not using everything available) but got confused a few times when I posted and then that same night (I thought) I saw that I actually posted "yesterday".
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but our site's clock is running on GMT which makes it 4 hours later than Eastern. Maybe it's always been that way and I am just aware of it now? That means that items posted prior to 8PM Eastern (midnight GMT) appear as "yesterday" at 8:01 Eastern (and will be logged as being posted 4 hours later, say 12:01 AM). For those posts which list a time (not the most recent ones which say for example "19 minutes ago"), perhaps you could add GMT? and no daylight savings calculations either!
Thanks again,
Gordon

#1049458 - 04/01/17 03:13 AM Re: Message Board Software Upgraded [Re: Z65_Paul]  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
15+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline
Administrator
15+ Year

El Camino Village, CA
Hi Gordon,
The server is actually running off of east coast time as it's located in Washington D.C. But the software is smart enough to know that and has provisions to set the timezone for each member. It appears that the setting was reset for everyone when the software was upgraded. Prior to the upgrade I had mine set to west coast time. I just checked and yes, indeed it was set to GMT.

To set your time zone, got to the My SStuff link in the navigation bar, then look for Preferences at the top of the drop-down menu. You will find the time zone setting about half way down the page.

Thanks for pointing that out.

On other topics, I realized some have been complaining about the old-school look. I'm working on upgrading that with some imagery. I'm also reworking all of the other non-message board pages here on the site to modernize them. It takes time, which is something that always seems in short supply these days. Please have patience.

PaulC

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  PB86SS/87LS, ss4ever, Z65_Paul 

Random Images
500/thumbs/my_81_SS_Monte_clone2.jpg
by Dave84
500/thumbs/IMG227.jpg
by dub562
809/thumbs/monteeee2.jpg