MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1033890 - 01/03/16 04:48 AM Shifter woes, 84 Monte SS with a 700r4, I guess?  
RoadrunnerRod Offline
RoadrunnerRod  Offline

Davey, NE
Hi guys, name is Rod. I'm a new poster, but have been searching the forums for awhile. I recently bought a 84 Monte SS that sat for a decade or more in and out of barns. When I got it the column stuff to the trans was disconnected and there was a new shifter cable going to the floor shifter, but it wasn't all hooked up. Now trying to piece it together I noticed my tranny pan is a big square, that's a 700r4 isn't it? Tried installing a brand new shifter cable bracket for a turbo 350 onto the trans earlier and it wasn't lining up at all bolt hole wise, that's when I googled quick and noticed my pan wasn't like a th350!

So, if this is a 700r4, what all would I need, being that it's an 84? It's a running, driving car and all, so any mounting probs or driveshaft differences are taken care of. I'm guessing I'll need a different shifter cable, possibly shifter too, out of a later Monte with overdrive? Unless mine could be modified, I'd go that route. Also, would there be any differences in the linkage that goes to the column? And I'll probably have to find a overdrive plate for the shift indicator in the gauge cluster.

And thinking about it now, wouldn't I need some manual switch or something for the overdrive, or for the lockup converter? Not sure how or if this transmission is wired up yet, have two toddlers and an old acreage we live on, plus tons of overtime at work... so basically, I don't get much free time to play with my new Monte! Thanks guys for letting me pick your brains, its real nice having a site like this with so much information

#1033900 - 01/03/16 02:34 PM Re: Shifter woes, 84 Monte SS with a 700r4, I guess? [Re: RoadrunnerRod]  
cj84ss Offline
10+ Year
cj84ss  Offline
10+ Year

Jacksonville, Fl.
Your shifter will work for this trans. If it's a 700r4 get a shift cable for a floor shift camaro of the 80's with a 700r4 and a bracket on the trans pan also. For the steering column if you have a stock setup it will work with the shifter. You can leave it alone unless you want it to indicate you have overdrive? If it has the stock computer and still functioning it will control the lockup you just need to ensure it is wires correctly.

[Linked Image]
1984 SS, w/87 Grand National 2004R, 355 vortec, CCC, Crane XE262.
1969 Road Runner
2003 GMC Serria

Random Images
500/thumbs/2_tone_seats.jpg
by gmguy3car
500/thumbs/100_1617.jpg
by myfirstmontess
664/thumbs/9e8c_1.jpg
by tomkat
500/thumbs/TPI.JPG
by JAWSS
500/thumbs/0428DSC_9237.jpg