MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#1021451 - 03/24/15 12:16 AM High nine's from zero liters (0 CID)  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Greetings,

Yes, a deliberate teaser of a title to attract attention. If the thread about 450hp from 2 liters was startling, perhaps this is even more so.

This person got his Fiero into the high-9 sec range by using two series-wound electric motors. The motor/battery combination reduced the weight of the car by very roughly 200 lb in the process as I recall:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/dc-plasma-build-thread-10sec-fiero-69476.html

The general forum entry point is here. I admit I've had close to zero time to digest the mountain of information to be had at this site:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 03/24/15 04:53 AM.
#1021455 - 03/24/15 12:55 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters... [Re: MAP]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
Electric motors are much more efficent than IC engines. 85 -90 % efficiency for electric vs 18 %-20 % for most types of IC engines. Rockets which are a type of IC engine get 70% efficiency.

While that car is quick, I wonder what its travel range is between recharges? Batteries usually do not have the enegry storage capacity as a tank of fuel does.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#1021470 - 03/24/15 05:02 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters... [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Buick,

For all I know, a single full-power 1/4-mile run may exhaust the batteries! His data shows 850 battery hp (~630kW) peak during one such run.

For everyday driving I hope the range is longer, but if such a car is driven with a typical hotrodder's leadfoot in normal traffic, maybe some tens of miles can be had? One plus is that if the transmission doesn't free-wheel while coasting/decelerating, then the batteries should see a mild recharge as the electric motor functions as a generator.

However since I think most hotrods aren't driven for long stretches, maybe short range is an acceptable limitation for many.

Another factor not known to me as of yet: cost of the motors, controller, batteries, and transmission (he uses a single GV OD unit for two speeds.) And, relating to this, the life of the batteries. Since an electric motor's torque is limited by the supply voltage and the motor's back-EMF, which goes in direct proportion to rpm from Faraday's law, an electric motor's torque output tends to be much flatter than that of an ICE, so transmissions can have fewer speeds and thus be made smaller and lighter.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 03/24/15 05:11 AM.
#1021495 - 03/24/15 06:06 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
Hunter79764 Offline
Hunter79764  Offline

Grand Prairie, Tx
While electric cars aren't the environmental answer that people and politicians want them to be, they do have some pretty good useful benefits, like low operation cost and high torque...
I have an '85 S15 sitting unused with an electric conversion lingering in the back of my mind... I came close to pulling the trigger with a 30hp 230VAC motor and inverter combo (inverter could run off of something like a 320V DC bus input) that I could have sourced for scrap price from a previous employer, all that was left was the battery bank (something like 25 12v batteries) and charger setup (more challenging than it seems, unless you want to pay a bunch of money for a purchased system) plus physical install in the engine bay to the existing 4 speed. I chose to do the 5.3 swap in the Monte instead. Looking back, I should have grabbed the parts anyway for use at a later date... doh

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1021649 - 03/27/15 07:08 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Hunter, folks,

I think the lack of engagement in this thread, despite the teaser, has to do with the unfamiliarity, if not outright skepticism, about converting to an electric drivetrain. I count myself in this same camp of unfamiliar/skeptical. So in the interest of launching a joint journey of discovery, I found this "starter kit" in the aforementioned DIYelectric site:

http://www.diyelectriccar.com/wiki/

To me the enticements are:

1. No exhaust system - drivetrain is nearly silent.
2. Flexibility of drivetrain layout.
3. Compactness of drivetrain - a rear-engine configuration is far easier to execute than with a high-output ICE.
4. Potential viability for a transmission with only two ratios, with or without TC = reduced weight and cost.
5. Potential for a significant weight savings overall => handling and acceleration benefits.

But there are significant detriments too, such as the fact that the batteries would need to be replaced every several years. Cost remains a major unknown as well, but nowadays a high-output ICE drivetrain (let's say roughly 600-800 hp) with good reliability and reasonable (!) economy, is probably at least a $20k deal anyway.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 03/27/15 07:10 PM.
#1021652 - 03/27/15 10:38 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
1 Slow SS Offline
10+ Year
1 Slow SS  Offline
10+ Year

Small town KY
I would think it's kinda obvious what electric motors can do seeing locomotives use them. They use diesel engines to power the electric motors.

A little info from online.

The hybrid diesel locomotive is an incredible display of power and ingenuity. It combines some great mechanical technology, including a huge, 12-cylinder, two-stroke diesel engine, with some heavy duty electric motors and generators, throwing in a little bit of computer technology for good measure.

This 270,000-pound (122,470-kg) locomotive is designed to tow passenger-train cars at speeds of up to 110 miles per hour (177 kph). The diesel engine makes 3,200 horsepower, and the generator can turn this into almost 4,700 amps of electrical current. The four drive motors use this electricity to generate over 64,000 pounds of thrust. There is a completely separate V-12 engine and generator to provide electrical power for the rest of the train. This generator is called the head-end power unit. The one on this train can make over 560 kilowatts (kW) of electrical power.

Enjoy life, family first!
#1021750 - 03/30/15 03:17 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

GM used to have a electro motive division (EMD) that built diesel locomotives, until they sold it off to China a few years ago.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

#1028390 - 08/21/15 09:29 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Folks,

Thought I'd resurrect this thread from several months ago. In the interim, the Tesla P85D S model (with "ludicrous" mode,) specs were released, with:

2.8 sec 0-60 mph
10.9 sec 1/4-mile
1.1g maximum centripetal acceleration

285 mi (65 mph) cruising range
4,936 lb curb weight
1,500 lb battery weight
The 470 hp rear electric motor weighs 300lb.

A potential buyer "aeroscott" recently posted:

"Drove the 690hp all wheel drive beautiful black on black ' space ship' today in Sacramento . It was in the ludicrous mode but limited to 80 mph for test drive, which I promptly hit. I didn't ask about state of charge. Not even a hint of wheel spin, just the fastest acceleration I ever experienced . And that faint turbine sound is so hot! Such an easy car to drive, except for going much faster then it feels or sounds. Seats are improved since the first ones as is the interior. More Mercedes type of refinement. Thank you Jackson and the rest of the Tesla team."

Link: http://www.diyelectriccar.com/forums/showthread.php/test-drive-tesla-s-p85d-138058.html

The first three numbers are impressive by themselves, but when we consider the last three as well, they become even more impressive. I studied the chassis of this car carefully at a mall in San Diego about two weeks ago, and considering what I saw and these numbers, I'm struck by:

1. If weight could be gotten down into the 3,500 lb range (by reducing battery size, mass, and energy mostly,) 10.9 sec could become about 9.2 sec. Yes, the range of the car would be much reduced, but for most hotrodders, that's probably not a problem.

2. The battery pack underlies the entire floor of the Tesla. This, plus the physical compactness of the driver motors, might place the COM of the car at as little as 12-14" above the ground, versus 22" (ish) for an A/G body. The handling benefits are obvious.

3. The P85D model S re-uses their stock 470 hp motor at the rear plus a 221 hp front motor. If they had developed a single, larger motor for the rear alone, they probably could have saved more weight. With such a low COM height, a more rear-heavy weight balance could be tolerated.

Other things I like:
4. No exhaust system = practically no noise.
5. No transmission.

About battery life, several years was common in the past, but Tesla told me they are up to 15 years nowadays.

I'd love to convert a G-body this way! (Now all I need is a gold mine and a few years with nothing to do to make this happen...)

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 08/21/15 09:44 PM.
#1028392 - 08/21/15 10:45 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
This video shows CR's testing of the roughly 700-hp Hellcat vs. the also roughly 700-hp Tesla. The contrast is striking! The Tesla is faster, but the real rush comes off the line. The Hellcat is soft off the line, but accelerates harder after 2.5 sec or so.

http://cleantechnica.com/2015/07/10/the-...-hellcat-video/

To the 1/4 mile, the Tesla still wins, but the video makes me think that we can do better than both cars by using a very powerful ICE in a rear-engine position (the body shape of the Monte Carlo is unusually favorable for this.) See this thread:

http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1021426&page=1

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 08/21/15 10:52 PM.
#1028400 - 08/22/15 01:28 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
ls1_monte Offline
15+ Year
ls1_monte  Offline
15+ Year

Eastern Iowa
If the Hellcat would hook directly off the line without peddling the throttle, I'd think the g force measurements would spike more like the tesla...

'87 Monte SS With a stock 11,000 mile '98 LS1/T56.

#1028509 - 08/24/15 07:23 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Lsi,

I think you're right. If we believe CR's tast data showing roughly 0.8g forward acceleration once the tires hook for the Hellcat, then this is quite impressive for RWD assuming that something like 50% of the car's static weight rests on its rear wheels.

But if we could shift more weight to the rear wheels, then we could accelerate even harder.

About electric motors, the torque reduces with increasing RPM because the effective drive voltage (rail voltage minus the motor's back-EMF,) drops in linear fashion with increased rpm. The only way to overcome this is to increase drive voltage with motor rpm, which is technically possible.

So I suppose my point is that there are still cards to play in this game to get even faster, and, incidentally, to stay with RWD with a single motor. The Tesla and Hellcat are amazing with about 11 sec 1/4-mile times - and especially considering that these cars are about 1/3 heavier than a typical MCSS! Weight reduction is key - that's how that Fiero in the first link is in the 9's in the 1/4-mile.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 08/24/15 07:28 PM.
#1028517 - 08/24/15 10:48 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Folks,

Lone Star racing (the folks with the 9-sec Fiero at the beginning of this thread,) are shown here with their Miata that does 0-60 mph in 1.5 seconds.

http://video.pbs.org/video/2365328431/

Look for the segment starting at 8:30 and ending at 13:06. It costs $1, or so they say, to "re-fuel" this car.

They claim that to be "really fast" costs $15k; to break records costs about $30k, and that once set-up the drivetrain requires very little maintenance.

Best,
MAP

#1028792 - 08/31/15 09:42 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Folks,

A further update: I contacted Lonestar EV conversions to learn more about whether to proceed with the usual ICE front-motor/RWD approach to hotrodding, or to convince myself to go for an all-electric design.

The short of it is that I continue to see all-electric as the better route, amazingly enough.

Some posts back I wrote:

Quote:
To me the enticements are:

1. No exhaust system - drivetrain is nearly silent.
2. Flexibility of drivetrain layout.
3. Compactness of drivetrain - a rear-engine configuration is far easier to execute than with a high-output ICE.
4. Potential viability for a transmission with only two ratios, with or without TC = reduced weight and cost.
5. Potential for a significant weight savings overall => handling and acceleration benefits.

Updating this with Lonestar’s feedback:

The preferred path would be to put two electric motors (most probably the Netgain warp 9 or warp 11 design,) in the transmission tunnel. A transmission may not be needed at all, but if one were needed, a GV overdrive would probably cover the needed range of gearing more than adequately. The drivetrain would be coupled through a short drive shaft (18" may be all that's necessary,) to the existing live rear axle.

As such, the entire drivetrain would extend from the rear axle, forward to roughly the existing firewall location. The engine bay would then be left empty, save for steering, brakes, and AC (I leave those details for another time.) Lonestar recommended putting the battery pack in the engine bay, but I would definitely put it in the trunk. With a rear-heavy weight balance, I could get the car to do 0-60 in less than three seconds, and maybe even 2.5 seconds, even with street tires. Amazingly, they claim 200hp may be enough to get the job done. Low 1/4-mile times, however, would obviously require far more than 200hp, and that's where we need to add more weight in batteries and electric motors.

For a sub-three-second 0-60, we're looking at roughly 400lb in batteries with a 60-ish mile "normal" driving range, and about 200hp in motors and possibly transmission too. Motor life: probably about a million miles. The only maintenance would be with the commutator brushes. Battery life: if charged/discharged properly, about 2,000 cycles, or roughly ten years of typical life. Batteries would be replaced individually and not as a whole.

The net vehicle weight after conversion would probably be about 100lb lighter than a stock MCSS. We could break-down the mass contributions roughly as follows:

1. SBC motor and transmission: roughly 700lb, centered about 12” behind front axle.
2. Everything else in the car: roughly 2,900lb, centered exactly between the front and rear axles.
Resulting mass: 3,600lb total, centered about 46” behind the front axle ( = 57% front and 43% rear axle weight distribution.)
3. After removing the SBC motor and transmission, now add 200lb for the elecrtic motors/transmission, centered about 60” behind front axle.
4. Also add 400lb for the battery pack, centered about 22” behind the rear axle.
Resulting mass: 3,500lb total, centered about 63” behind the front axle ( = 42% front and 58% rear axle weight distribution.) I’d like to see an even greater fraction on the rear wheels!

Another benefit: the batteries and drivetrain are more vertically compact than the ICE equivalent, so the COM height for the car could be significantly reduced. I’m guessing this could go down from about 22” to roughly 19”, which would generally improve handling. Yet another benefit: with a more centrally-compact distribution of weight, and the yaw center moved closer to the rear axle, steering response should get much crisper/nimbler.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 08/31/15 10:13 PM.
#1028899 - 09/04/15 08:13 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
Motor City Monte Offline
Motor City Monte  Offline

blah,MI.
there is an electric motor cycle out that get over 100 miles on full charge and it has DC charging and can have batteries back to 80% in 1 hour i think is what i read. and its just as fast and picks up speed almost at same rate as gas bike. no shifting 1 gear.

http://www.energicasuperbike.com/energica-ego-electric-superbike/

#1028913 - 09/04/15 09:00 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Motor City,

Good point, and I think the analogy carries over (at least partially) into a full car platform. I absolutely love the idea of using no transmission at all, or at the most, just a GV overdrive unit for two speeds. That's because for a gas motor, while powers are climbing year by year, transmission technology for the most part (at least on the aftermarket side,) isn't keeping pace. My experience over the years is that it's increasingly likely for me to experience some kind of transmission failure as power goes up, and the cost associated with such failures is very high. Transmissions are getting bigger, heavier, and more expensive too.

And as for the electric motors themselves, they have few parts, and last virtually forever. Replacing commutator brushes is as easy as changing jets on a carburetor, and then after that, bearings may have to be replaced every several 100k of miles or so. And the cost for this is very low. It's a dream from a simplicity and reliability standpoint. The biggest maintenance item is the batteries, but even those are a once-in-a-ten-year or so deal, and cells can be replaced individually when they go bad.

Plus: no exhaust system. No, or practically no, cooling system. Electric motors are roughly 90% efficient, as opposed to the 30% top efficiency of a gas motor. Oh, and a big reduction in fueling cost.

I've only found one hurdle, and admittedly, it's a very big one: cost of conversion. I was quoted roughly $50k (gulp!) to convert an MCSS to get the performance into the realm of a Tesla P85D S, or a Hellcat. That's not exactly pocket change, although it could be argued that just going out and buying one of those cars (where's the fun in that?) certainly wouldn't be any cheaper.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 09/04/15 10:52 PM.
#1060759 - 02/14/19 09:16 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Folks,

In 2019, and 3.5 years since the last post, I thought this would be a good time to resurrect this highly worthwhile thread. I'd urge a quick re-read of it from top to bottom. If anything, given an electric drivetrain's greater traction (pun intended) in the mainstream of current automotive thought, there is greater incentive to do this now than ever before. I see the advantages of an electric drivetrain, and especially for an MCSS, to be unusually attractive, since the MCSS platform stands to benefit more than most from a COM shift downward and rearward. Plus, there's that huge trunk by today's automotive standards...

Surely some forward-thinking hotrodder out there is thinking about making a go of this? (That would have been me but the time and money weren't there. What can I say: life and family obtrude.)

Any fresh thoughts on this topic?

Thanks; best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 02/14/19 09:17 PM.
#1060782 - 02/17/19 12:08 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
Fred SS Online content
10+ Year
Fred SS  Online Content
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
MAP, I think you are on the right track. I think electric drivetrain conversions will become popular someday. The one big obstacle right now is cost followed by the lack of recharging infrastructure. We are car guys and cannot stop tinkering. Someone will do an electric Monte Carlo SS conversion someday and that day is not far off.

I recently gave up on my gas powered lawn mower. Would not run right. No matter what I did. Cleaned, adjusted but still would die. My friend talked me into buying an electric mower, Lowes Kobalt brand. Best decision I ever made. Has plenty of power to cut high grass. It automatically ramps up speed when it gets into high grass. I have a 1/4 acre. I can cut the entire front yard and half the back yard on one charge. Mower comes with two batteries. That one experience sold me on electric. I am waiting on a company to build an electric pickup truck.

Fred

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Edelbrock TES Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, Bilsteins, TCI 2400 stall converter, Ramcharger fans, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Wheels.
#1060787 - 02/17/19 05:24 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Fred,

Interesting reply. You're exactly one electric lawnmower ahead of me (!) For me, a really powerful ICE-based powertrain is risky due to the unknown of the transmission (at least if it's an automatic.) Aftermarket claims for HP and TQ limits for transmissions are still usually shaky and usually optimistic. At least GM E-rod transmission offerings are conservative, but at about $6k for the 90 TQ series, that's a big, heavy, and expensive transmission, and it needs an electronic controller. I absolutely love the fact that a single GV overdrive unit can handle all shifting for electric motor(s).

The cost of electric conversion is still high, but folks are picking up used Tesla battery packs from wrecks and putting them to good use as I understand it. Chances are as time goes by and more electric drivetrains from wrecks become available, the cost of conversion will come down too.

And on the flip side, the cost of a very powerful ICE motor/tranny combination is rising. So, on the whole, the cost gap is closing.

But even with a sizeable cost gap, the handling and traction benefits alone of going all-electric with an MCSS are mighty attractive. That's the problem with staying with an ICE: as the combination gets more and more TQ and HP, the front end of the car gets heavier and heavier, so all that extra output just goes to turn tires into smoke. And the car plows worse through turns. Not so with electric...

Who can resist?!

Best,
MAP

#1060792 - 02/17/19 07:27 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

I am not a big fan of ICE lawn mowers engines as most seem to be low quality. They are pretty much built to be disposable, not long lasting and easily serviced. Most of them do not even use connecting rod bearings! That is why I also have an electric push mower. However, I also have an ICE lawn tractor and a 1946 farm tractor for big mowing jobs.

#1060847 - 02/20/19 08:21 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
New just today:

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/chevys-electric-camaro-can-do-wheelies

9.837s 1/4 mile, 750lb of batteries, which could probably be reduced for folks not interested in long highway range. And then this quote from the same article:

"Chevy doesn’t yet have plans to sell a turnkey eCOPO, but it is considering offering the electric setup as a crate motor someday." (Italics mine.)

Be sure to click on the link to watch the 9-sec blast. One of the things that stood out to me was the lack of exhaust roar which surely would have been prominent with an ICE engine. I know many hotrodders love that sound, and I respect that opinion, but for me, it's nothing more than unwanted noise.

I can't wait for the crate motor. I only hope my wallet will be ready in time!

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 02/20/19 08:29 PM.
#1060849 - 02/21/19 12:03 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
There has been talk about putting speakers at the back bumpers to make an exhaust sound. The neighbor has a Focus, I almost walked out in front of that car cause I didn't hear it coming.

Maybe they can recreate that "fart can" muffler sound the kids put on their Honda's.
Bob

#1060852 - 02/21/19 02:58 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Bob,

Any sound can be reproduced. The automotive industry has been doing it for a while now, and it will become more common. The two major areas of interest are "engine enhancements" modes (usually the fourth engine intake harmonic,) and interior cabin noise cancellation.

But as far as I know the OEMs aren't interested in creating what most people outside of the hot-rodding community would consider to be noise. A sound created as a warning in the interest of navigational safety might be another matter, however.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 02/21/19 02:58 AM.
#1060853 - 02/21/19 03:34 AM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Kinda like a backup alarm on a forktruck.
Gotta love it.
Bob

#1060855 - 02/21/19 02:17 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: MAP]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
20+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
20+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Very interesting. A response to anyone who's annoying about LS swaps and thinks they are the end all be all, this might replace them at some point in the next wave. Might be awhile before they are cost effective but this will be the future.

The sound thing could be fun, people could choose any traditional V8, turbo sound, a fart can Honda. I'd personally want it to sound like the Jetson's car.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 3.8 2bbl/200C/2.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#1060856 - 02/21/19 02:26 PM Re: High nine's from zero liters (0 CID) [Re: PB86SS/87LS]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
Originally Posted by PB86SS/87LS
Very interesting. A response to anyone who's annoying about LS swaps and thinks they are the end all be all, this might replace them at some point in the next wave. Might be awhile before they are cost effective but this will be the future.

The sound thing could be fun, people could choose any traditional V8, turbo sound, a fart can Honda. I'd personally want it to sound like the Jetson's car.

The one area where electric powered vehicles will struggle vs gasoline powered vehicles is road racing. The batteries lack the energy density and add a bunch of weight.

They are very good at getting a car moving from a stand still though.

Personally, I'd choose the mario kart motor sound.

86 SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS GEN IV intake, 92mm TB, 30lb injectors, Summit Stage 3 NA Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Microsquirt ECU, FABbot AR5 5-speed, Torsen LSD, QA1 Lvl 3 Suspension Kit, UMI Front & Rear Braces. Check out my build blog on Summit Racing's OnAll Cylinders https://www.onallcylinders.com/author/travis-jones/
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Random Images
500/thumbs/20.jpg
by Phifdawg
500/thumbs/IMG_0387.JPG
by PB86SS/87LS
500/thumbs/monte34.JPG
by JeffNKarolynss
500/thumbs/GN_rear.jpg
by jnw86
500/thumbs/M31.jpg
by devider440