CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#495366 - 10/23/07 06:20 AM Replacing Upper Door Panel Pull Straps  
Phoenix Offline
Phoenix  Offline

Kansas City, Missouri
The reason for people wanting to do this varies. Some people buy recovered uppers for restoration, which don't come with pull straps. Others have older model pull straps and want the '87 style ends. People occasionally have pull straps that crack or peel, and simply want to replace them.

The pull strap ends are riveted through the uppers, which are sandwiched between the straps themselves and a flat strap of steel on the back side of the panel. To remove them, you simply take a drill bit that is the same diameter of the rivet and drill all the way through, carefully enough not to increase the diameter of the original hole in the ends and back strap.

To reattach them without rivets, you can simply use pan head screws and thin nuts. The only constraint is this part of the ends that sticks through the back side:

Once tightened down, the nuts, washers, locking washers (if you want them), or any of the thread still sticking through should not extend beyond that. Best thing to do is get pan head screws that fit the holes in the strap ends and back straps right, and after putting on the nuts and tightening them, cut off any excess thread that sticks through with a dremel cutting wheel. Cutting the threads like that, right where they come out of the nuts, keeps the nuts from backing off in the future with vibration, but they can still be removed if you want them off. You can also put some clear silicone caulking on the threads before you put the nuts on.

I don't think I used locking washers, but I do have small flat washers on both sides that just fit the pan head of the screw and the nuts on the back.

#1005513 - 06/21/14 12:24 AM Re: Replacing Upper Door Panel Pull Straps [Re: Phoenix]  
monte_man_2020 Offline
monte_man_2020  Offline

Lisle, IL
Great thread. Still trying to get my used straps on. Will post pics when I get them done.

#1005801 - 06/24/14 07:36 PM Re: Replacing Upper Door Panel Pull Straps [Re: Phoenix]  
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year

nj
i cant see the pix. cant wait to see yours

86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.

Random Images
500/thumbs/02-05-08_1620.jpg
by RoadWarrior
500/thumbs/dyal_snorkel.jpg
by
500/thumbs/2007_Atlantic_Nationals.jpg
by MikePEI
1110/thumbs/PHILLYMONTE.jpg
by biggshugg13
644/thumbs/Monte_SS_Left1sm.jpg
by Dad's SS
Help MonteCarloSS.com