CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1005782 - 06/24/14 03:38 PM Removing and Installing Front Nose Cover  
LXXXIV SS Offline
LXXXIV SS  Offline

Lower Peninsula, Michigan
I hope this helps the guys who want to know how to remove the nose cover on the SS. I pulled mine to do some work and when putting it back together, used brand new Push retainers from clipsandfastners.com

A12757 GM Push-Type Retainer 1" Head Dia. 3/4 Length for 1/2" Hole.

They come 15 to a package, and you'll need 16 total. Hey, you'll have some spares at least. These are the OEM parts. If you can salvage one of the old retainers, then a package of 15 will do fine.

To begin with, remove all 8 retainers across the top, and all 8 on the bottom. If you're replacing with new retainers, the bottom 8 are easiest to remove by simply sliding a putty knife under the head and whacking it with a rubber mallet to cut the old head off.

Once you get all 16 off, remove the screws at the very bottom which hold the air dam on the bottom of the nose to the side extensions on the fender. These are the two purple arrows in the pic. Right click on the image and select "View Image" to see the pic full size.

There are 7 screws holding the nose to the fender on both right and left sides. These are in blue.

These are the corresponding 7 screw locations on the fender itself. Again, in blue. A 10 mm socket will be needed.

#1005789 - 06/24/14 04:03 PM Re: Removing and Installing Front Nose Cover [Re: LXXXIV SS]  
LXXXIV SS Offline
LXXXIV SS  Offline

Lower Peninsula, Michigan
Thanks for the compliment!

I do this with everything because at my age, a week after I pull something off I forget completely how I did it. So I take lots of pics every time I do anything. smile

#1005894 - 06/25/14 04:37 PM Re: Removing and Installing Front Nose Cover [Re: LXXXIV SS]  
Ole Blue Offline
Ole Blue  Offline

Lugoff, SC
I'd like to know how to add arrows, etc. to pictures like above and I've seen previously.

#1006162 - 06/28/14 03:48 AM Re: Removing and Installing Front Nose Cover [Re: LXXXIV SS]  
glet88 Offline
glet88  Offline

Portsmouth, VA
Nice post. I found it a little easyer with a 10mm deep socket.

To add arrows, or text, open the image in Windows Paint, click > file > save as, and rename the file.
Example - original name - R door jam.xxx
rename as - R door jam mod.xxx
This way you can play with the "mod" file and still have the original to use in case you screw up the "mod" file beyond repair.

Random Images
500/thumbs/02-05-08_1620.jpg
by RoadWarrior
500/thumbs/dyal_snorkel.jpg
by
500/thumbs/2007_Atlantic_Nationals.jpg
by MikePEI
1110/thumbs/PHILLYMONTE.jpg
by biggshugg13
644/thumbs/Monte_SS_Left1sm.jpg
by Dad's SS
Help MonteCarloSS.com