CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#932088 - 05/15/12 02:32 AM Trans Cooler Advice  
Hunter79764 Offline
Hunter79764  Offline

Grand Prairie, Tx
I'm going to be swapping radiators soon and thought that would be a good time to add an auxiliary transmission cooler since I'll be leaking some fluid out anyway. I've got a (non-built) TH350 with less than 300 hp, but 2.14 gears in Texas. Added all up and I think a trans cooler would be worth it, right? I'm also chronically cheap on this project, so...
Will a copper tube/aluminum fin heat exchanger from an HVAC outdoor coil work ok? I work for a major Air Conditioner manufacturer so it wouldn't be any problem to cut a scrap piece to size and braze some return bends to make it into a 6 pass or whatever size I need, and these are rated to 600+ psi. Would there be any issue with the copper tubes and trans fluid though? I wouldn't think so, but want to run it by some of you just in case.

Also, I've got extra electric fans. Is it worth mounting one in front of the trans cooler on a switch, or only if I had a thermostat/temp switch for the trans fluid?

The other route would be scrounging the salvage yards for one from another car. Any ideas on what to look for if I go that route?

Thanks.

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#932097 - 05/15/12 03:18 AM Re: Trans Cooler Advice [Re: Hunter79764]  
Sixtoes1313 Offline
Sixtoes1313  Offline

Abingdon, Maryland
On mine when I had the auto I just pulled a cooler from a dodge truck or something

Bigger the better!
Not sure if you wanna run it like: trans-rad-cooler-trans or: trans-cooler-rad-trans. I think I did mine rad first. When I blew my radiator, I ran only that small trans cooler and saw temps around 180-200. anything 180 and below is ideal. If you want- bypass the rad completely and run a large fin type cooler. I cant say a bypass is necessary. Temp controlled fan is a nice addition. I also cant see why the HVAC cooler wouldn't work either.

I've seen alot of aftermarket jobs that look like copper. It conducts heat well and would cool efficiently. Just make sure to thoroughly flush it!

LsX: DO IT~ 11.32 @120mph
#932305 - 05/16/12 11:51 AM Re: Trans Cooler Advice [Re: Sixtoes1313]  
Retro Offline
Retro  Offline

Macon,Ga.
With the Texas heat I strongly recommend using the Radiator and Auxillary Cooler. Trans fluid also needs to be heated in Winter to prevent Condensation from accumulating.
A round Tube & Fin HVAC Condensor will work fine for Trans fluid. The thin Plate/Flat Tube & Fin HVAC Condensors flues are too small for Trans fluid.

From PATC's Trans Site:
Transmission Cooling:
"You must have a transmission cooler in your radiator regardless of what someone has told you for the transmission to last. Auxiliary coolers are just that, in addition to. Water cools 32 times better (faster) than air always, period. In the case of air vs. water, there is no contest - water is way better. The transmission fluid comes directly from the torque converter at a much higher temperature than the water in your radiator and is cooled to the water temperature fast. Then it goes to the auxiliary cooler to be cooled far below the water temperature. If you don't need a cooler in your radiator why does GM spend all that money doing so? If you wanted to cool a red hot piece of steel fast would you stick it in water or air, see the point."

Cooling Line Routing, prevents air pockets:
Bottom Trans Fitting/Line Out/Feed to Bottom of Radiator Fitting/Line.
Top Radiator Fitting/Line to Bottom of Aux. Cooler.
Bottom Aux. Cooler Fitting/Line to Top Trans Fitting/Line In/Return.

The 200-4R Trans In/Out lines/fittings are Reverse of above fluid flow routing.

A seperate Aux. Cooler Fan isn't really needed but, wont hurt if wanted.

Cheap & efficient HD Cooler >> http://www.ebay.com/itm/360148641365?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by Retro; 05/16/12 11:56 AM.
#932412 - 05/17/12 02:59 AM Re: Trans Cooler Advice [Re: Retro]  
baaboo Offline
baaboo  Offline

Racine, WI
Are you sure you have a 2.14 ratio? That is pretty tall. I thought that they had a 2.4-something in these type cars. Anyway, you might want to consider getting a gauge first and see if you really need a cooler. Like was said, you don't want the fluid too hot, nor too cold either. After I ran a gauge for a while, I should have been more concerned about too cold, as opposed to too hot.

1987 Aerocoupe, 383 Super Ram and 20-gallon custom aluminum tank. Car retired (for now) from open road racing, but I'm not.
#932469 - 05/17/12 04:17 PM Re: Trans Cooler Advice [Re: baaboo]  
Hunter79764 Offline
Hunter79764  Offline

Grand Prairie, Tx
Yeah, 2.14 was offered and I've verified it with the chocked-wheel method, haven't counted teeth yet. The 2.29 and 2.41 were more common, but the 2.14 did exist, mainly on BOP's with 3 speeds before the OD trans started popping up in everything. WOT shifts at about 75 MPH into 2nd and who-knows-what into 3rd smile
It definitely works the converter in city driving though, and it doesn't have a lockup converter. I may plumb in a bypass valve as a manual thermostat for winter driving if needed, but it rarely gets too cold here, and most of my driving is plenty to warm everything up right (25 miles in traffic each way to work).

I'm planning on using rad and cooler for sure, if not I'd definitely be using dedicated fan with temp switch with an overkill HX for the fluid. I don't like overheating anything... Even have a PS cooler from the wrecking yard, might even get a heat sink at some point for brake fluid. Folks have rust problems up north, we have heat problems here in Texas, especially in traffic like I'm in every day.

Thanks for the advice, especially the bottom-to-top part. Don't know that I'd have thought of that till I had issues otherwise...

Shawn

#932508 - 05/17/12 11:52 PM Re: Trans Cooler Advice [Re: Hunter79764]  
SKIDMARK Offline
SKIDMARK  Offline

New Bern NC
HUNTER do you work at GOODMAN MFG. by any chance.

#932606 - 05/18/12 09:35 PM Re: Trans Cooler Advice [Re: SKIDMARK]  
Hunter79764 Offline
Hunter79764  Offline

Grand Prairie, Tx
No, they are based in Houston, I think. I'm work for Mr. Dave Lennox at the R&D plant.

Shawn

Random Images
737/thumbs/small_DSC00316.jpg
by McNamee
500/thumbs/MCSS4.jpg
by Wrathchild
500/thumbs/SD530544.JPG
by pearl83SS
500/thumbs/87_Monte2.jpg
by mightymonte10