MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32
#994446 - 02/09/14 04:07 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Howehot,

You won't use an automatic transmission on a pro-touring build? That's one big, global indictment. How can a few bad experiences on one transmission cause you to dis an entire industry segment?

Or is there more to this than you've posted?

Thanks,
MAP

#994452 - 02/09/14 05:45 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: MAP]  
howehot Offline
howehot  Offline

Lawler, IA
Originally Posted By: MAP
Hi Howehot,

You won't use an automatic transmission on a pro-touring build? That's one big, global indictment. How can a few bad experiences on one transmission cause you to dis an entire industry segment?

Or is there more to this than you've posted?

Thanks,
MAP

We'll see how it lives this year. Last rebuild Jeff did quite a bit to increase the performance of the trans. One was increased line pressure and another is a Corvette pan which has I reccessed sump in it. He thinks I may have been pulling the fluid away from the pickup in high G cornrers. It does run a bit warmer which may become another concern. I also don't get the engine braking when downshifting.

If you look at the top performing pro touring cars, those track driven, the vast majority run manuals. There is a reason for this, durability. If my car was just street driven I would have no problems with the auto.

#994462 - 02/09/14 02:47 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
1 Slow SS Offline
10+ Year
1 Slow SS  Offline
10+ Year

Small town KY
PATC is the best builder for the 4L60-70 series. They have them holding down well over a thousand HP. You need a bit more than line pressure for them to hold up. I would recommend you contacting them before you start your season.

Enjoy life, family first!
#994469 - 02/09/14 03:16 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
Norm Peterson Offline
15+ Year
Norm Peterson  Offline
15+ Year

state of confusion
I'd want to know if PATC has much/some/any experience with transmission builds aimed at road race and autocross uses, even more than any HP or torque ratings.

Norm

'08 GT coupe, 5M, suspension unstockish (mine)
'10 Legacy 2.5GT, 6M (hers)
'01 Maxima 20AE, 5M (spare, winter driver)

Gone but not forgotten dep't: '95 Mazda 626, V6/5M; '79 Chevy Malibu, 4M/5M; '87 Maxima, 5M; '72 Ford Pinto, 4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A . . .
#994471 - 02/09/14 03:35 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: Norm Peterson]  
clean8485 Offline
clean8485  Offline

Lindsay, Ontario
Thanks for sharing the information with us Dan. I'm assuming that the automatic in your Monte will be swapped for a manual. Any idea on which manual transmission you'll go with?

#994478 - 02/09/14 05:55 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: Norm Peterson]  
1 Slow SS Offline
10+ Year
1 Slow SS  Offline
10+ Year

Small town KY
Originally Posted By: Norm Peterson
I'd want to know if PATC has much/some/any experience with transmission builds aimed at road race and autocross uses, even more than any HP or torque ratings.

Norm

Norm I understand your concerns but I wish you all the best in finding an trans builder that specialized in one aspect of racing. Power goes in may directions weather it's mud, straight, curves or round and round.

For sure they have experience in racing applications in general, strip, street, mud, road courses. I know a fellow personally that part time road races a 700HP corvette with one of these units. That's why I bought this one below for my sons Super Slug. laugh

This is from their site.

We have many reports of the Level 5 Extreme Raptor transmission holding 1500 horse power.

Every man has dreamed of it, thought about it, and even vision himself doing it. The build all of all build all's. The time in your life when the kids are gone, wife is set up in her house like she wants, and you have some extra cash. It's time to build your dream car, and today we are designing a gear head's dream transmission. The transmission we always dreamed about, the transmission with the best of the best. The transmission you know nobody has ever developed before. On this date 03-29-12 nobody in the world has the transmission parts available to build this but us. With the release of the new Smart Tech Input Drum we are proud to present this new development to you.

"When designing this transmission we were given the Carte Blanche by Turbo Don our Owner and Founder, we were told we did not have any budget guidelines but it has to handle 800 hp reliably. We are living vicariously through somebody else's checkbook. Is there a better job?" - PATC Development Team.

Available now the level 5 Extreme Raptor Transmission, the worlds fastest strongest 700R4 / 4L60E transmissions - Stronger because it has the "Smart Tech Input Drum" - This drum is able to use 9 Red Eagle clutches and 8 full thickness Kolene steels with a special ZERO-FLEX backing plate - This was never possible before - Faster because it has our PATC "Power Gear" planetary - This planet gear has the correct gear ratios so you don't get the usual RPM / power drop-off between first and second gears - This gearing will lower your quarter mile time by 3/10 to 5/10 of a second - "Thirty years in the making, these where the last two parts needed to make the 700R4 / 4L60E truly awesome transmissions" - This transmission is able to handle extreme horse power, higher than any other 700R4 / 4L60E transmission ever built before.

This transmission has broken all the rules and all the records. After 30 years of research, development, and destruction the COMPLETE solution has arrived for the 700R4 / 4L60E platform. We have 14 major design changes that have been performed on this transmission. We have always wanted a 700R4 / 4L60E that could handle insane power reliably. It has arrived Ladies and Gentlemen.

Our 1st area we wanted to address is the gear ratios in this platform. From the factory we are faced with a 3.06 1st gear ratio and a 1.63 2nd. When the 700R4 was 1st designed the V8's were packing a measly 180hp from the factory, so when combined with a 4,500 lb vehicle the 3.06 1st gear worked great. Fast forward to today when a 500hp daily driven street car is the norm and you soon realize that you blow through 1st gear rather quickly and just blow the tires off. Then you hit 2nd gear and you see this large RPM drop and high horsepower vehicles are at a lower part of the engine efficiency. This is exaggerated even more with the addition of larger camshafts with tighter lobe separation angles and you soon find yourself trying to shift later out of 1st so your drop isn't as low coming into 2nd where you have very little port velocity. So we are faced with a 1st gear that is useless and a 2nd gear that initially lugs our engine. We were sick of this and said we will not let this be an issue in our dream transmission. We changed the gear ratio on this transmission from the factory 3.06 1st gear to a 2.84 1st gear. We took 2nd gear and changed it to 1.57 vs. a stock 1.63. We achieved this with our 6 pinion front planet. This is the 1st time we have ever offered this planet set in a transmission.

We then moved to the rear planet replacing the pathetic 4 pinion factory style planet with our NEW AC Delco rear 5 pinion planets. These planets have 25% more load carrying ability. Keep in mind GM felt the need to turn to this planet in 2002 with the y-body and made it standard on all LQ9 equipped trucks. These vehicles only came with 345hp and 385 ft lbs of torque with loads of torque management programmed in from the factory. You can imagine the added production cost involved in adding these. These planets are new GM, not the inexpensive aftermarket Taiwan planets sold elsewhere. The GM planets runs twice the cost of cheap aftermarket and standing them side by side it becomes very apparent the differences. The 1st being that the planets gears themselves do not move as freely as the Factory ones. The aftermarket planets also have a weaker thrust bearing with less roller bearings, this is immediately noticed when attaching the reaction shaft to the top of the planet and spin it. The inexpensive planets spin at a much slower rate and you notice a significant amount of drag, which equals parasitic loss. Bottom line we did the right thing here yet again.

Ahhh, the infamous 3-4 clutch. This has been a headache on this platform for too many years. We have many arguments, debates, and even fights over this clutch pack. We have seen clutch solutions from mild to wild, while nobody really looked at the real issue, deflection in the drum. How many of us have air checked our input drum at 60-100 psi and seen the bending and flexing of the plate and snap ring? This deflection can and will lead to coning within the 3/4 clutch pack which always cause premature failure. This was most apparent within the industry when General Motors modified the clutch pack in 2006. When the LS2 platform was released in the Trailblazer SS GM added another clutch to the set-up to try to end all of there woes. While adding another clutch to the 4L70E did help improve the life, the problem didn't go away. At this point in development GM already had the 6 speed 6L80 sitting in the y-body that year and further development ceased. This is where we picked up. We knew that our last obstacle was making the 3/4 clutch survive for more than half a race season. Fast forward to today and we are proud to present the last piece of the puzzle. With the new Smart Tech drum we were able to finally solve the issue with deflection with in the 3-4 clutch pack. This allowed us to not only get radical with our pressure apply rates (no coning) but it also allowed us to no longer worry about the end of the drum blowing out under extreme conditions. This gives us the ability to have tremendous clamping load within the drum. We were also able to achieve more clearance with the new design pushing our clutch count to an astounding 9 Red Eagle full thickness double sided clutches and 8 FULL THICKNESS Kolene coated heat treat steels. End result, is a drum that can withstand tremendous apply force, incredible clamping load, additional clutches and absolutely no deflection in the 3/4 clutch pack. If we had the option this drum would go in every single transmission we build here, but at $500 a pop, it is only an additional option on our level 2, 3 and 4 700R4 / 4L60E transmissions. Bottom line, this is the end all of all end alls for our 3-4 clutch pack woes.

Every single component of this transmission has been over engineered. This transmission is ready for anything you could possibly throw at it. Whether it's your supercharged H2 Hummer with oversized tires or your twin turbo'd C5 Corvette. There's NO OTHER transmission on earth built to this magnitude. Our level 5 Extreme Raptor has left no stone unturned and no expense spared. "Thirty years in the making, these where the last two parts needed to make the 700R4 / 4L60E truly an awesome transmission" (#2 & #3 below). Lets take a look at our build in detail.

Last edited by 1 Slow SS; 02/09/14 06:08 PM.

#994484 - 02/09/14 06:59 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Yeah...but it's still not a T56... wink

When you are cornering at speed, either autocross or road racing, there is a huge difference in feel between a direct connection between your right foot and the rear tires and an indirect connection.

Staying together is one thing, being able to help the driver improve his lap times by helping him or her drive at 10/10ths while still staying on the track is another.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#994486 - 02/09/14 07:01 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: miker82]  
The PC Surgeon Offline
The PC Surgeon  Offline

Salisbury Mills, NY
Originally Posted By: miker82
Dan,
Thanks for the info. I think that everyone always wants the latest and greatest. In saying that not all things work the way we would like. Your details about this complete build are a world of knowledge.

X2

#994491 - 02/09/14 07:14 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: SSLance]  
1 Slow SS Offline
10+ Year
1 Slow SS  Offline
10+ Year

Small town KY
Originally Posted By: SSLance
Yeah...but it's still not a T56... wink

When you are cornering at speed, either autocross or road racing, there is a huge difference in feel between a direct connection between your right foot and the rear tires and an indirect connection.

Staying together is one thing, being able to help the driver improve his lap times by helping him or her drive at 10/10ths while still staying on the track is another.

Lance, I won't get into semantics over this post I made. I only offered an alternative that helps the cause.

BTW I have had well over a dozen T56 cars as fare back as twenty years ago and I have raced them on road courses at the strip and anywhere I could in my younger years. By no means am I a stranger of building cars in multiple forms and yes I can drive them too, which I think anyone can with a good budget. wink

#994537 - 02/10/14 01:58 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
Norm Peterson Offline
15+ Year
Norm Peterson  Offline
15+ Year

state of confusion
1 Slow - I much appreciate all that further information. The original as-released gearing flaws are evident, and the strength issues mostly so.

What I'm still not seeing are the kinds of things that would improve compatibility with road course use, and I am seeing the intent of executing shifts faster. You can increase fluid system pressures and stiffen/quicken up the shifting for drag race use pretty much indefinitely without running into performance downsides there, such is the nature of the brutal dragstrip beast.

But for good road course behavior you want to soften the shifting so as to avoid unintended wheelspin or partial lockup should you either downshift during corner entry or upshift during corner exit (between the apex and the track out cone). The trick appears to be to get the shifts done quickly enough to minimize internal friction element slippage under power but slowly enough to avoid sudden shock loading to the rear tires. Whether this can be accomplished entirely by mechanical means or if electronics might have to get involved is probably beyond the scope of Dan's thread.

FWIW, there is still a pretty big RPM drop from 1st to 2nd, and I've added this PATC gearing to a transmission gearing lookup table in case I ever run across it elsewhere. Thanks.

Norm

Gone but not forgotten dep't: '95 Mazda 626, V6/5M; '79 Chevy Malibu, 4M/5M; '87 Maxima, 5M; '72 Ford Pinto, 4M; '64 Dodge V8/3A . . .
#994557 - 02/10/14 03:39 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: clean8485]  
howehot Offline
howehot  Offline

Lawler, IA
Originally Posted By: clean8485
Thanks for sharing the information with us Dan. I'm assuming that the automatic in your Monte will be swapped for a manual. Any idea on which manual transmission you'll go with?

We are putting a T56 Magnum un the El Camino. Once we learn all the ins and outs of what it takes we'll take this knowledge and put one in the Monte.

As far as an auto being superior or even equal to a manual, if this was so more of the top rides would have autos. By rides I mean cars actually used on the track, not the ones pictured in magazines that are driven on and off the trailer. I won't say that someone can't make it work but at this point it's not for me.

I am a very amateur driver and I don't like the feel of diving into the corner with the car in coast mode. I can paddle shift to the gear I want on exit and it picks up as soon as I get into the gas and easy to control, but I am far from 10/10ths and will be for a long time.

#994576 - 02/10/14 04:17 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
gmguy3car Offline
Authorized Vendor
gmguy3car  Offline
Authorized Vendor

Silverdale,Wa
Dan, the slandering is getting ridiculous, I've never said anything on here but two years later your still out for blood,
The day you texted me and got upset it was 5am here I was asleep and did not reply, as I was asleep, your texts after that got nastier and nastier, to which I decided we should not work together and you blew up,
You know darn well we discussed the fix on the phone and I found a great match and you thanked me for that,( I also offered you to buy the vinyl from Scat and you said no) to which you said 'go for it' I said no, let's get you to look at the sample to be %100 on the same page, a week later you were upset I had not shipped anything, My supplier dropped off the vinyl you approved the day before, your dragging it out as if I purposely did you wrong. You slandered me on Facebook and on here, get over it, I'll take the compliment that you had to copycat my design to use in your car, I see your on to the next Vendor to bash.

Last edited by gmguy3car; 02/10/14 04:30 PM.

#994577 - 02/10/14 04:46 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: gmguy3car]  
SS Ninja Offline
15+ Year
SS Ninja  Offline
15+ Year

Stoughton, MA
Originally Posted By: gmguy3car
Dan, the slandering is getting ridiculous, I've never said anything on here but two years later your still out for blood,
The day you texted me and got upset it was 5am here I was asleep and did not reply, as I was asleep, your texts after that got nastier and nastier, to which I decided we should not work together and you blew up,
You know darn well we discussed the fix on the phone and I found a great match and you thanked me for that,( I also offered you to buy the vinyl from Scat and you said no) to which you said 'go for it' I said no, let's get you to look at the sample to be %100 on the same page, a week later you were upset I had not shipped anything, My supplier dropped off the vinyl you approved the day before, your dragging it out as if I purposely did you wrong. You slandered me on Facebook and on here, get over it, I'll take the compliment that you had to copycat my design to use in your car, I see your on to the next Vendor to bash.

I need to stick up for Jon on this one. The vast majority of the interior in my SS is comprised of his products, including the rear seat that I had him custom design to match my Procar Elite seats (You know, the same ones that you installed a few years later wink )

I don't know Jon personally, but as a businessman he's been nothing but great to me and other members on here that have also ordered his products.

When we were going through the process of building my rear seats, we exchanged multiple emails and fabric swatches were ordered, sent, and reviewed (And paid for on his dime, if I remember correctly) all to get a color and finish that I was happy with.

If that fell apart, I'm having a hard time believing that it was on Jon's end.

I'm getting deja vu as we had this same discussion back in '12 when you complained about not getting things your way on your schedule.

1987 Monte Carlo SS: The toy
Click here for my build thread
1987 Monte Carlo LS: Daily Driver
Build thread for the LS
#994586 - 02/10/14 06:49 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
gmguy3car Offline
Authorized Vendor
gmguy3car  Offline
Authorized Vendor

Silverdale,Wa
Originally Posted By: howehot
As we build our rides we learn from them and then try not to make the same mistake others have. That said, all I can do is report my findings on the products I've used during this build. I have purchased from major manufacturers all the way down to that one guy producing one piece to make my life simpler. I've learned so much and have taken this knowledge onto our next build, the El Camino. And once again have tried to use the best pieces from recommendations and needs. A few members on this forum have some of my money and have some pretty neat pieces in exchange. As the El Camino comes together I can't wait to report on said pieces and how they perform. Couple are pretty trick.

I've had 3 issues with the Monte. The interior, the EFI and the transmission. GSI interiors failed to color match to my seat and cost me time and $$$, the FAST EFI never lived up to its claims proven by 3 dynos, and the transmision, built by a very good friend, failed twice due to improper torque convertor shimming my fault, and one more time due weak links in the build. I won't ever order a product from GSI, use FAST product, or use an auto transmision on a pro touring build.

As you read this and look at your build and future upgrades, you can take my experience and use it or ignore it. I can only tell my experience and you must decide on your own.

'Failed to color match' But you approved the swatch and I paid for the material. Seabrook White ordered 6/6/12 4 yards to do a back seat and door panels.

#994595 - 02/10/14 08:08 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: gmguy3car]  
howehot Offline
howehot  Offline

Lawler, IA
Originally Posted By: gmguy3car
As we build our rides we learn from them and then try not to make the same mistake others have. That said, all I can do is report my findings on the products I've used during this build. I have purchased from major manufacturers all the way down to that one guy producing one piece to make my life simpler. I've learned so much and have taken this knowledge onto our next build, the El Camino. And once again have tried to use the best pieces from recommendations and needs. A few members on this forum have some of my money and have some pretty neat pieces in exchange. As the El Camino comes together I can't wait to report on said pieces and how they perform. Couple are pretty trick.

I've had 3 issues with the Monte. The interior, the EFI and the transmission. GSI interiors failed to color match to my seat and cost me time and $$$, the FAST EFI never lived up to its claims proven by 3 dynos, and the transmision, built by a very good friend, failed twice due to improper torque convertor shimming my fault, and one more time due weak links in the build. I won't ever order a product from GSI, use FAST product, or use an auto transmision on a pro touring build.

As you read this and look at your build and future upgrades, you can take my experience and use it or ignore it. I can only tell my experience and you must decide on your own.

'Failed to color match' But you approved the swatch and I paid for the material. Seabrook White ordered 6/6/12 4 yards to do a back seat and door panels.

Yup, I'm a liar and have a lot to gain from bashing you. I needed a release and you are it. I approve a swath I never received or offered until after the fact but I approved the color. My fault. Sorry to slander you I apologize.

All that need interior pieces contact GSI Interiors. They do tremendous work.

#994599 - 02/10/14 08:25 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Folks,

The development about the transmission question was very helpful - thanks to everyone. Dan, I knew there was more to the equation than simply transmission robustness, and I was trying to draw this out of you. Thanks for doing exactly that; it was helpful. Ditto Norm and 1Slow - great input.

Thanks,
MAP

#994696 - 02/12/14 12:10 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Diving back in for a bit - Norm's argument that PATC's 1/2 shift is still a big jump seems correct. It would also seem, at least on the surface of things, that tighter ratios, and more ratios, are ideal. As ratios tighten, the change in internal kinetic energy with a gear shift lessens, which means a shorter shift time can be tolerated before breaking traction.

Or, with fewer/wider ratios, increase the shift time to reduce peak torque transmitted during a shift. But then, as Norm said, we're back to soft parts longevity, which is analogous to clutch life in a manual. (I suspect that finding the right balance is likelier to come electronically than mechanically, because the shift time should be made a function of input torque in a manner perhaps somewhat converging toward the "torque management" we see everywhere today. Does anyone know whether the 4L60E controllers have adaptive shift speed?)

No free lunch, and no surprise. But I still wonder what is the best overall compromise.

Best,
MAP

#994697 - 02/12/14 12:24 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
Norm Peterson Offline
15+ Year
Norm Peterson  Offline
15+ Year

state of confusion
I'm thinking more on the lines of electronic rev matching, which would have to be transmission-specific.

Maybe unlocking/locking a lockup converter during shifts as well, as I suspect that once the rev matching business is taken care of there wouldn't be many situations on a road course other than during shifts that you'd want to have a difference in revs across the TC. Such a TC could be a little looser than OE but mild by comparison to TCs intended for strip or hot street purposes.

Norm

#994769 - 02/12/14 06:44 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
Rebelson101 Offline
Rebelson101  Offline

spring lake nc
nice car good info and the new trans specs look good too 800 hp and a good over drive sounds awesome vs my 2500 rpms at 55 mph and 3100 at 70 od would be really nice

ETHER RAY
#994772 - 02/12/14 08:13 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hmmm...

TCI's six-speed variant of the 4L80E has an average inter-ratio ratio of 1.317:1 ( = [2.97/0.75]^0.2). Unusually tight for an automatic, which may make it friendlier than most for not breaking traction during shifts. But, so many unknowns remain: shift times, TC locking/unlocking, etc.

Rebelson - great point about the possibility to add OD and drop high-speed cruising rpm. At 3,100 rpm, it might take 15hp (guess only) just to spin the motor at that speed.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 02/12/14 08:14 PM.
#994998 - 02/15/14 02:47 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
howehot Offline
howehot  Offline

Lawler, IA
Wednesday we installed the new harness and GM PCM. Installation wasretty simple since I stood by the wayside and let Jesse, the expert tuner dude, do the work. Most was plug and play but some spicing was needed such as the fans, tach, and the LS7 MAF. The harness could have been ordered with the correct MAF connector but time didn't allow it. My color blindness makes me shy away from wiring unless someone is there to tell me the correct color. The harness was configured for a T56 so the TCI TCU is still controlling the 4L60E.

Jesse worked his magic and had the Monte running. A little tuning here and there and it has a very smooth idle, quick starts, and snappy throttle.

First thing I noticed was the reduced injector noise. The FAST is a batch fire system, it fires all 4 injectors on each bank simultaneously. Alternating each bank. The GM is sequential, it fires each individual injector as needed. Starting is also much improved. FAST required frequent pedal pumping and several cranks at times, not always though, GM starts almost without turning the key, immediately it is running with no need to touch the go pedal.

Next will be a trip to back to Westbend Dyno for a final tune. Jesse is predicting a 50rwhp improvement, I hope he's right. He said if we don't get that gain, the induction, stock throttle body and LS6 intake, will be the fault. The added cubes from the stocker is requiring added air.

When I get the PCM mounted I will post some pictures of how I did it. Josh will be priming the El Camino tomorrow and Sunday he will spray the UPol Raptor bedliner tinted to match the paint. Then on to block sanding.

#995083 - 02/16/14 02:56 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
howehot Offline
howehot  Offline

Lawler, IA
I used a factory LS mounting bracket for the PCM. I built a couple stands and did some trimming of the bracket and mounted it on the inner wheel tub. Made for a pretty clean install. Now I wonder if you can polish the PCM, it looks bad.

And the El Camino got etch and high build primer today.

#995106 - 02/16/14 01:48 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
Norm Peterson Offline
15+ Year
Norm Peterson  Offline
15+ Year

state of confusion
Now I wonder if you can polish the PCM, it looks bad.

Judging by the presence of what looks like cooling fins, I'd be a bit cautious about brightening it up beyond what it would have been when it was brand new. Don't think I'd want to paint or coat it with anything.

Norm

#995345 - 02/18/14 07:23 PM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
MAP Offline
15+ Year
MAP  Offline
15+ Year

Yuma, AZ
Hi Dan,

The concern here is thermal resistance. Was that unit originally mounted in the donor vehicle's engine bay? If so, then what Norm said is spot-on, however a very light coating of black paint might help. If not, then I'd relocate it to wherever else it might have been mounted in the donor vehicle, since that spot would almost certainly have been cooler than the engine bay.

But no matter the location, polishing it would be a bad move and would precipitate a shorter lifespan for the enclosed electronics.

Best,
MAP

Last edited by MAP; 02/18/14 07:23 PM.
#995395 - 02/19/14 03:04 AM Re: OneHotKnight with Schwartz Perf. G-body chasiss [Re: howehot]  
howehot Offline
howehot  Offline

Lawler, IA
So polishing is out. The harness is to short to move the PCM forward and with our best effort to find room in the cabin failed. To big for the kick panel where the original was and the glove box to small to hold it. Had the option to remove the glove box but in the end I chose not to. So for now I'll leave it as is.

The El Camino will be getting the same system but when I order the harness I will add length to the harness so it can be mounted out of sight. Given more time this harness could have been made to our specs.

Page 27 of 32 1 2 25 26 27 28 29 31 32

Random Images
500/thumbs/stein07_01.jpg
by GregK
500/thumbs/indo_black_006.jpg
by Hailhorror77
500/thumbs/montedecaled_001.JPG
by Monster
500/thumbs/0711111820.jpg
by tetamcssmokin
500/thumbs/DSCN3990.JPG
by Aeroaddict