Print Thread
Page 27 of 28 1 2 25 26 27 28
#1056737 - 04/03/18 01:13 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
I think I have seen pictures once and was very impressed. I'll have to find him on FB I assume?

#1056739 - 04/03/18 01:40 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_wGMA_DkHg

Check out the quick adjust on these. If incorporated into your mounts you wouldnt have to stagger them, and if put in an arc you could adjust without changing bar length.

Wehrs also has a really trick bolt for the front of the trailing arm made out of hex stock so it has a head long enough to sick out of the frame.

Also a panhard can be mounted in single shear just use a 3/4 or bigger bolt and have a thick mount on the back side.

86 SS
400SBC, 4l80e, MSD Atomic injection/trans controller, Tilt glass clip, all tubular arms, corvette brakes, 9" rear
In progress
#1056740 - 04/03/18 02:06 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
one last thought, have you considered making the springs/dampers more perpendicular? better motion ratio and less damper side load.

86 SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS intake, Summit Stage 3 NA Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Microsquirt ECU, FABbot AR5 5-speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, QA1 Lvl 3 Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces.
#1056741 - 04/03/18 02:25 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte
I think I have seen pictures once and was very impressed. I'll have to find him on FB I assume?

Yes... Look in my friends list. He is battling some pretty serious health issues right now and hasn't been as active lately but a really good guy and a great friend of mine. He calls his the "Ober-link" setup. laugh

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1056743 - 04/03/18 03:28 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
Thanks for the tips Mason! I guess there's not much concern for those loosing adjustment as long as you clamp down on them?

I'm kind of worried about the PHB just because the entire cornering load for the rear goes through it and if it busts, that's a BAD day...

Travis, I do plan on pulling the top mounts outboard some now that I have the room. There shouldn't be much side loading on the dampers either way though because they are mounted with rod ends at both ends. All they can take is compression/tension along the shaft axis. As for motion ratio, I'll just factor that into my rates, but the more perpendicular they are, the less angular change there is and that makes the rates more linear.

I'll send him a request Lance.

#1056749 - 04/03/18 07:30 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
If you look at wehrs' pinion plates and frame side J bar mounts they are in single shear and use a "climber" nut to adjust, they are trick too.
Ive seen a pinion plate bend and a j bar break but never the single shear mounts themselves, and that was all from wrecks.

If they dont come with them already get some thrust bearings for the springs to put in between the spring and adjuster.

Mounts are more than capable of taking the force of the bumpstops being on the shock shaft, I suppose where they are is 6 one half dozen the other if you dont plan on tuning with them anyways

Last edited by MC96; 04/03/18 07:30 PM.

86 SS
400SBC, 4l80e, MSD Atomic injection/trans controller, Tilt glass clip, all tubular arms, corvette brakes, 9" rear
In progress
#1056750 - 04/03/18 07:36 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
I was trying to find info on what the climber nut does, but I can't find it on their site and I didn't get any results when I searched for videos on it. Probably a little too fancy for what I'm doing, but interesting nonetheless.

#1056755 - 04/03/18 09:45 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
The climber nut spaces the heim of the j bar away from the mount and has a spacer built into it that goes in the mounts slot. as does the nut on the back side of the mount.

Loosen the back nut. Turn the climber nut and the spurs in it climb or lower on the mount. Jam the back side back tight. No taking bolts out. Allstar has them too and possibly even BSB.
The infinite adjustability is the real selling point.

86 SS
In progress
#1056863 - 04/11/18 03:08 AM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
Onebadbowtie86 Offline
10+ Year
Onebadbowtie86  Offline
10+ Year

Traverse City Michigan
Just saw the guys on hot rod garage using your clutch pedal Bernie, your famous!

'86 Monte carlo ss-Frame off resto-mod.
Ls2/t56/8.5"
#1056869 - 04/12/18 06:19 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
Your 3-link thread has my mind working on swapping an S197 2011-2014 Mustang rear and using their 3 link setup... There's room under the car, the 3rd link is only 8.25 inches long, and the trailing arms are 18.5 inches, ours are 19 and some change. Granted you'd have to narrow the housing and get some custom axles, but they come with 31 spline axles and a torsen T2 from the factory...

86 SS 6.0L LQ4, TBSS intake, Summit Stage 3 NA Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Microsquirt ECU, FABbot AR5 5-speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, QA1 Lvl 3 Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces.
#1057311 - 05/17/18 12:16 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: Onebadbowtie86]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
Originally Posted by Onebadbowtie86
Just saw the guys on hot rod garage using your clutch pedal Bernie, your famous!

That was pretty cool seeing them use my kit!! He should have bought the other one though, and he could have used the master he had. I sent him a message on FB and he read it but never replied. I guess he gets a lot of fan mail.

Originally Posted by thepezking639
Your 3-link thread has my mind working on swapping an S197 2011-2014 Mustang rear and using their 3 link setup... There's room under the car, the 3rd link is only 8.25 inches long, and the trailing arms are 18.5 inches, ours are 19 and some change. Granted you'd have to narrow the housing and get some custom axles, but they come with 31 spline axles and a torsen T2 from the factory...

That's a good idea... and I'm sure a hell of a lot cheaper than the other option of building a custom 9". Would leave more money for the 3-piece wheels I'm going to need...

#1057326 - 05/18/18 03:40 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
I was just looking at an ad for a 2013 Mustang rear end and there didn't appear to be any offset built into the upper link mount. Interesting...

#1059157 - 09/21/18 02:30 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
I haven't messed with the car for a while... been working on some new digs so that I can have a little more shop space.

Our first house had a standard 2-car garage that I have outgrown over the last 8 years. I parked SSM in there and used it to do quite a bit of metal fabrication. I think she has more miles on her in the last few years getting moved in and out of the garage so that I could have room to work than it does driving around. It also served as storage for way too much car stuff.

[Linked Image]

The plasma table is a pain to set up and tear down. I have to roll the table outside and set up the power, plasma cutter, computer, something to catch the mess under it, and a fan to pull the fumes/dust out to the driveway. It takes a good 15 minutes to set it up and a little longer to clean it all up when I'm done. It means I don't use for quick things that I would really like to.

[Linked Image]

I hate clutter, and I really try to stay organized, but I'm just out of room at this point. Plus, being an attached garage is not the greatest setup for metal fabrication. Those God-awful metal splinters getting into the house has to stop. I can deal with them by my wife and young boys don't have as much patience for them.

[Linked Image]

So the new place... we have been house hunting for well over a year. I want a big shop and my wife (a vet tech) wants a farmette. We had plans to build with my wife's brother and parents for a little while. We tried to work out a deal on 30 acres with 3 building rights that we could each build on but couldn't come to an agreement on the price and had to walk away. Found another site in our price range but didn't really like the location and neighborhood as much. After talking to builders and an engineering firm, we decided that we would really rather buy pre-owned if possible due to Maryland's laws. Subdividing, depending on the history of the property, could cost upwards of $50k with storm water management and forest conservation work, all new homes in MD require sprinklers to the tune of $10-15k, and the gutters have to plumb into a dry well which is another $10k. So we would be $75k into stuff we didn't really want, plus the land, by the time we started spec'ing out a house.

So we found a house on 6 acres with an adjacent 11-acre lot on the same deed. We put an offer on that figuring my BIL could build next door with a perk contingency. Turns out it wont perk, so I put in an offer 100k below asking and ended up in the middle. The BIL bought a house 5 minutes away, so it worked out well.

So now we own 17 acres with a pond and a ~3-acre fenced in pasture, a 1974 colonial with a recent addition and an attached 2-car, and a 30X70 pole barn.

The pole barn was recently re-roofed and sided with corrugated metal panels, and they added on to it. It started as a 30X50 barn. They added R22 in the walls and finished inside with more corrugated panels, and added a ceiling and blew in R49 in the attic. Then they installed 2 Mitsubishi mini-splits, put Pergo on the concrete floor, and used it as a gym.

[Linked Image]

They added a garage to the side of it and framed over the sliding doors on either gable end. I'm sure I could squeeze 4 cars in there if I had to.

[Linked Image]

My plan is to remove the sheathing and framing over the divider wall and give myself a way to get from one side to the other. The big side will become my workshop and storage and the small side will be the garage/car shop with a 2-post eventually. I want to try to keep that side as uncluttered as possible so that I can work on our vehicles. For plasma cutting, welding, and grinding, I want to frame out a room inside the big side to contain the mess and install a downdraft table for welding/grinding and either a second downdraft or a water table for the plasma table. I'm excited for the day when I can just walk out to the shop with my laptop and cut something out without having to spend 30 minutes setting up and tearing down the setup. Now I'll have the room for some machinery. I would like to get a lathe first, and eventually a mill. I'll have to build/buy some shelving too so I can organize all my stuff. For now, it's a storage unit until we move in.

[Linked Image]

For now though, I'll be working on the house installing new flooring, knocking down a couple walls (one is done, converted to a column, one more non-load-bearing wall to go) and painting

#1059161 - 09/21/18 03:22 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Heck yeah!! Congrats on the new house! I bet the wife is pleased with the extra acreage as well. Win win...

That's a nice shop to start out with, should be able to adapt it to your needs pretty easily.

Lance
#1059164 - 09/21/18 05:22 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
Thanks Lance! It is definitely a hell of a head-start on a shop. I'm a little concerned with the 10-ft ceilings for a lift, but I think it will work fine... just might not be able to stand under the truck.

My pop pop gave me his old 70's Long 360 to take care of the land with a 5' bush hog. I want to get an 8' finish mower too and some turf tires for it.

#1059165 - 09/21/18 05:49 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Depending on how rough the surface is and how nice you want the turf to be, the Zero Turn mowers REALLY help speed up the mowing time. I had 5 acres of lawn with over 30 trees, a bunch of driveway and 1500' of fence to mow around and I could mow it all in just under 2 hours. It would have taken 4-5 hours on a tractor\mower or small lawn tractor to mow.

In fact, my wife did the majority of the mowing on it they are that easy to handle.

Lance
#1059185 - 09/23/18 03:31 AM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
mvp Offline
mvp  Offline

Los Angeles, CA
Congratulation on your new home!

1988 Monte Carlo SS Project Car [Build][Instagram]
#1059188 - 09/23/18 07:06 AM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
20+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline
Administrator
20+ Year

McDade, TX
Congrats Bernie! Definitely a step up! It sounds a lot like the property we're in escrow with currently east of Austin, TX. 16 acres with two homes, barn, large metal building (dirt floor). I'll be adding a ground-up shop of my own eventually. Like you, have to concentrate on the house(s) / repairs etc. We'll be doubling the size of one of the homes while we live in the other. We're closing in early October. I'll post about my journey to a custom shop here eventually. Looking forward to following your progress, and perhaps snagging some ideas.

PaulC

[Linked Image]
PaulC PaulC@MonteCarloSS.com - - - - Album Pictures
Original Owner, Custom two-tone T-Toped 86 SS - Webmaster of:
[Linked Image]
#1059194 - 09/23/18 12:00 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
Good call Lance, I’ll have to look in to that. I think the widest zero turns are 60”. Im not sure how wide I can go with 38 horsepower but I know those zero turns scoot. And it would save me from having to do an acre or so around the house with a regular riding mower. Cost is the other part, I can get an 8’ mower deck for ~2k new.

Thanks mvp and Paul!

And congrats to you too Paul! That’s exciting! I’ll post pics here too as I get going on the shop. I might do some before/after pics of the house in the loungs in a few weeks too. Check out garage journal too for ideas, there are lots of nice setups over there.

#1059199 - 09/23/18 03:26 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Congrads to both Bernie and Paul, more is better when you are still young.

I've heard that living, building, remodeling is much more difficult in Md because of the storm water requirements. Other states will follow, Pa has them in place but haven't enforced them, YET. Have a friend who's son in law is a doctor in Md and pays a fee on the percentage of his property that is covered by non-permeable area.

Paul, moving to Texas, getting out of CA, smart move. I've read that Texas has money available to help in the relocation costs for people baling out of Ca, businesses yes, residency maybe. Driving up the coast from San Diego to Oregon in a new Vette and back down the eastern side of the state is a bucket list item for me, but that's all the time that i would need to spend in Ca.
Bob

#1059202 - 09/23/18 04:09 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: Z65_Paul]  
oemtech Offline
10+ Year
oemtech  Offline
10+ Year

Jarrell, TX
Originally Posted by Z65_Paul
Congrats Bernie! Definitely a step up! It sounds a lot like the property we're in escrow with currently east of Austin, TX. 16 acres with two homes, barn, large metal building (dirt floor). I'll be adding a ground-up shop of my own eventually. Like you, have to concentrate on the house(s) / repairs etc. We'll be doubling the size of one of the homes while we live in the other. We're closing in early October. I'll post about my journey to a custom shop here eventually. Looking forward to following your progress, and perhaps snagging some ideas.

PaulC

Give me a call Paul.... would love to a grip & grin.

Dale (AKA - Oemtech - Oemy)
[Linked Image]
83 Monte Carlo SS
My Monte Carlo SS Web Site
#1059203 - 09/23/18 04:29 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Bernie, wider is not necessarily better on a zero turn. Again, it depends on how smooth the ground is...a 72" zero turn will scalp in areas and leave others tall because it can't conform to the surface. I always had 60" zero turns which still covered a lot of ground in a hurry but were MUCH more maneuverable around obstacles which led to way less trimming.

When comparing a finish deck mower vs a zero turn, look at tip speed of the blades. The zero turns turn SUPER fast which pulverizes the trimmings leaving nothing left to lay on top. Most finish mowers just cut the grass off and push it out the side or back leaving it laying everywhere.

The extra plus is you can stripe it to make it look like this....

[Linked Image]

That is my wife's handy-work on our old mower. smile

Lance
#1059204 - 09/23/18 06:13 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: oemtech]  
Z65_Paul Offline
Administrator
20+ Year
Z65_Paul  Offline
Administrator
20+ Year

McDade, TX
Originally Posted by oemtech

Give me a call Paul.... would love to a grip & grin.

Definitely Dale! I look forward to it. Will let you know when we're settled.

Paul

[Linked Image]
PaulC PaulC@MonteCarloSS.com - - - - Album Pictures
Original Owner, Custom two-tone T-Toped 86 SS - Webmaster of:
[Linked Image]
#1059205 - 09/23/18 06:51 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
Hey-O Offline
10+ Year
Hey-O  Offline
10+ Year

Ballwin, Mo
Congrats to all!!
I remember years ago when I was on my way up to bigger and better, it was life at it's best!! Now the older I get the smaller and more confined it gets. Life is short and I love watching it from this side of the street as you all have come into your own!! It's truly fun to watch and you can't see the big smile on my face, but it's there!!..... By the way Bernie, Lance is right about the width on the deck, it can eat your yard to the ground on one side and leave to much on the other, been there, done that, got a t-shirt.......... Ulli

... " HEY - O " ... LET THE HORSES RUN

#1059212 - 09/24/18 03:23 PM Re: The SickSpeedMonte [Re: SickSpeedMonte]  
Crusher Offline
20+ Year
Crusher  Offline
20+ Year

Jersey Shore
Damn it. Now I have to move to a bigger and better property. I don't want to but I don't want to get left behind. Seems everyone is doing it. ugh grin

1988 502/502
ProCharger SC
Fast XFI Fuel Inj.
564 RWHP 574 TQ
http://SSMonteCarlo.com
Page 27 of 28 1 2 25 26 27 28

Random Images
737/thumbs/small_DSC00316.jpg
by McNamee
500/thumbs/MCSS4.jpg
by Wrathchild
500/thumbs/SD530544.JPG