CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#508830 - 12/03/07 07:20 AM lot of electrical problems  
uptownSOULdier253 Offline
uptownSOULdier253  Offline

Auburn(Seattle), Washington
so i'm having tons of problems on my 87 ss. i bought the car as a non-runner and fixed everything mechanically wrong with the car. the problem is, i only know the basics of auto electrical and can't diagnose the problem. i should start off by saying that the computer was taken out by the previous owner, but who also chopped up the wiring. also, a chevy 350 motor and turbo 350 trans were swapped in, and the heater-a/c box was taken out. so basically, there isn't much under the hood. the headlights turn on, brights work, the hazards flash. the tail lights don't come on, but when you hit the brakes, the brake lights are as bright as the taillights should be, not as bright as brake lights should be. when you turn on the blinkers, the taillights light up, but the brake lights still won't work. none of the gauge or interior lights come on either. also, the engine won't even turn over. i know it's not the starter because we bumped it over by giving it direct power. so it's got to be a problem with the electrical from the fuse block to the steering column or vise-virsa. i have no way of telling what's wrong with the lights and whatnot. i know it sounds like a big job, i'm just hoping some wires got crossed or something's not hooked up correctly, or something of that sort. does anybody have any clue what's going on with this thing? haha. i really can't work on this much of the electrical, so i need to find somebody, or a shop to work on it. does anybody in the seattle area want to take a crack at it? or does anybody know anybody else, or a shop, in the seattle area that can? i really appreciate everybody who took the time to read through all of this, i know it's a lot to read. thanks so much everybody

87 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. Small Block 350 - Basically Stock. Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold and Carter 600cfm Carb. Turbo 350 Transmission - TransGo Dash2 Shift Kit. G-Force Crossmember. Hooker Competition Headers. Custom 2.5" Exhaust. B&M Pro Stick Shifter. Currently And Always Under Construction
#508974 - 12/03/07 07:21 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  
baaboo Offline
baaboo  Offline

Racine, WI
Honestly, it sounds like a trouble shooting issue. Do you know someone local who could help you out? It would take days to explain this. The starting thing is relatively easy. Battery to starter, power to coil and a ground. Check those to make sure, and leave the rest for after this. There's another purple? that has to go to the starter to energize it first.

1987 Aerocoupe, 383 Super Ram and 20-gallon custom aluminum tank. Car retired (for now) from open road racing, but I'm not.
#509345 - 12/04/07 10:03 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: ]  

i don't know anybody locally to help me out. nobody's come forward anyways. there's a guy i talked to that might come by, he's a mobile mechanic, but he's kind of shady and i'm not sure about him. i've had a couple shops call me back, but haven't given me any quotes or anything. but they'd need me to tow my car to their shop before they could even inspect and diagnose anything. i know how the wiring for the starter's supposed to be, but from the ignition i'm not sure, i've never had to do anything wiring related like this before. thanks for the input, can anybody else help out? thanks a lot

87 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS. Small Block 350 - Basically Stock. Weiand Stealth Intake Manifold and Carter 600cfm Carb. Turbo 350 Transmission - TransGo Dash2 Shift Kit. G-Force Crossmember. Hooker Competition Headers. Custom 2.5" Exhaust. B&M Pro Stick Shifter. Currently And Always Under Construction
#509513 - 12/05/07 05:39 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  
monte87LSsssssssss Offline
monte87LSsssssssss  Offline

Marlton ,NJ
myself..after dealing with electrical on my fully loaded 87 ford TurboCoupe...the monte is simple..theres really only a few places to look ont he monte...try your grounds under the hood to start with..the starter and altenator ground themselfs out but if the alt brackets were recently painted you wont get a good ground..take the alt bolt out and slide a "round connecter" around it with maybe 10 guage wire..run that wire from the alt to a head bolt and another from the head bolt to the firewall and the frame...now thats done take a "voltage tester".$10. to your fuse box..if im not mistaken every fuse should read 14 volts with car running .12 with car turned off...if thats good check the bulbs in the tailights..i forget if the monte has the "2 in 1" bulbs but if she does put a "electrical power tester"..$3..to the harness once u take the bulbs out..put the tester point to the harness and have a friend press the brakes ,flick the blinkers,hazards, and turn on lights..if u turn the lights on and the tester glows thats your taillights,push the brakes and it lights up thats ur brakes..if that tester glows everytime you test a different light then your bulbs are in backwards...thats what it sounds like to me..trust me it happens..your tailights and starter may be from 2 differnt problems..check your fuses for the interior lights again too..and if i remember correctly its the purple wire that actually activates the starter so maybe you have a problem with the keys ignition crap..you can bypass that purple wire out of the steering column if you want..just get a "push button"..$3..and mount it somwhere so when u hop in your car you just turn the key foward and push the button to start the car..electrical nightmares usaully end up being somthing really stupid in the end..so what im saying is maybe the keys ignition isnt activating, and your bulbs could be backwards, and a sneeky blown fuse causing the dash not to light up..this may sound like a lot of work but its all very easy to do and shouldnt take long at all.this is just some things i would try first.maybe you already tryed this stuff but if you didnt ide give this stuff a try before taking the car to a shop, a shop can get away with charging you whatever they want with this situation..if you want more details before tackling this feel free to ask..maybe thisl help a bit..good luck

1987 MonteCarlo LS---345HP/370torque GM ZZZ crate motor---Holley 670cfm Street avenger---Mallory HEI---TH350/shift kit/2300 stall converter---GN 8.5" rear 342 gears---2" drop spindles with 1" springs up front, Moroso drag springs in back---275/60r15 Mickey Thompson drag radials---reduced weight to about 3000 pounds even
#510147 - 12/07/07 08:56 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: monte87LSsssssssss]  
84ss_stock4now Offline
84ss_stock4now  Offline

indiana
the car not starting kinda sounds like the ignition switch may ne bad its at the bottom of the column i would check that first and with the tail lights it could even be as little as the wrong bulb ib them but its just a thought.

84ss 385 stroker aluminum heads 3000 stahl dynomax mufflers b&m shifter 2nd stage b&m shift kit msd ignition 586 hp at flywheel
#510619 - 12/09/07 01:52 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: 84ss_stock4now]  

well i had a guy come out and look at his. i know that he knows what he's doing because he's got a super nice 68 camaro with a bored out 454 and a weiend supercharger on it. this thing's sick, it's super tubbed in the back with a full chassis and full rollcage. it's got a 2007 corvette dash and center console stacked full of autometer gauges. this thing was magnificent. anyways haha, back to my monte. he came out last night and was here for 4 hours, until 1 in the morning, and pretty much fixed most of my problems. i helped him along the way and watched was he was doing, so i have a better understanding of what's going on now. the reverse lights are going to be run later because i don't have my b&m installed right now. and the original owner hacked up the harness that protrudes out from underneath the windshield wiper motor, so i have to get a new one of those before he can come back and make the power windows and door locks work. anybody know the best way to get my hands on a new harness? also, i'm missing the driver's door jam switch, so he told me to buy one and he'd wire that up also. then there's the matter of the dash lights, i noticed that they're still not working, anybody know why? i'm going to be running autometer's eventually, but for the time being i'd like my gauges lit up. and that the glimpse of it. i wanted to update you guys and thank everybody for all of the input and advice. my baby should be running here towards the end of the weekend/beginning of the week. i'm soooo excited to hear it run for the first time. no exhaust as of right now though, so she'll rumble for a mile of course. does anybody know what emissions is for exhaust? washington state to be specific. i mean, does the exhaust have to come out the rear of the car? or can they dump out before the rear tires? thanks again for all of the help everybody! thanks so much!

#510790 - 12/09/07 07:29 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  

Marlton ,NJ
dumps are illegal in NJ, ive got 3inch chrome tips comming out before the front tires with the new flowmaster knockoffs (half the price) supposely flowmaster lost there patent and sombody took there exact design, they sound awesome..good luck hearing your radio though, I love hearing the cam anyways.I dont know the name of the exhaust but your local speedshop should know..good luck

1987 MonteCarlo LS---345HP/370torque GM ZZZ crate motor---Holley 670cfm Street avenger---Mallory HEI---TH350/shift kit/2300 stall converter---GN 8.5" rear 342 gears---2" drop spindles with 1" springs up front, Moroso drag springs in back---275/60r15 Mickey Thompson drag radials---reduced weight to about 3000 pounds even
#510792 - 12/09/07 07:30 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: monte87LSsssssssss]  

Marlton ,NJ
sorry wrong post,,I dont know how that happened

#510794 - 12/09/07 07:32 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: monte87LSsssssssss]  

Marlton ,NJ
mmmp..sorry that was the rite post

#511144 - 12/10/07 08:45 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: monte87LSsssssssss]  

another electrical question! on my alternator, i have a black plug that consists of a green wire and a black wire. connecting these wires at the plug is a resistor, is this normal? also, the green wire is getting power, but what is the black wire for? thanks again everybody

#511323 - 12/11/07 03:08 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  

can anybody answer the alternator wire question? i really need to know before i try and start this beast for the first time tonight. thanks everybody

#511369 - 12/11/07 08:50 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  

bump. please help. thanks

#511765 - 12/12/07 04:48 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
You need a GM Electrical Diagnosis manual. They were made for G-bodies and cover everything you need to fix your car. I bought mine a few years ago from eBay.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#511969 - 12/13/07 07:07 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: upflying]  

could you take a look for me pleeeeaaaaassseeee? haha. if anybody else can help i'd really appreciate it. thanks a lot

#516245 - 12/28/07 08:37 PM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  
thealarmguy Offline
thealarmguy  Offline

Spanaway, WA
Jake, ever get those electrical problems fixed?? I'm fighting a fuel guage issue right now. Shawn - Tacoma

#516330 - 12/29/07 01:45 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: uptownSOULdier253]  
jigsaw Offline
jigsaw  Offline

Laredo TX
 Originally Posted By: uptownSOULdier253
another electrical question! on my alternator, i have a black plug that consists of a green wire and a black wire. connecting these wires at the plug is a resistor, is this normal? also, the green wire is getting power, but what is the black wire for? thanks again everybody

i dont know what u mean, but here is a pic so someone else can chime in

the lights not working properly could be a simple fix. if u have a green arrow on ur dash when u turn ur lights on then it means that one of the light bulbs is burnt (depending on the side of the arrow) say u have the right arrow lit then the problem is on ur right side.... hope it makes sense i know mine wouldn't turn on, the problem is not the bulb itself (u can put the bulb either way) the problem is in the socket itself, mine still had the original GM bulb grease (which looked like lube grease IMO ) anyhoo, remove the old grease and take a look at the connectors inside the socket. the connectors loosen with time, all u need to do is crimp them closer together and they should work. to test ur sockets for a loose connection, put ur flashers on and sort of pull/push the bulb while holding the socket. i know i had to crimp all of the bulb sockets on mine to get them working

good luck

#517008 - 12/31/07 02:30 AM Re: lot of electrical problems [Re: jigsaw]  

i don't have the stock harness like that anymore. the previous owner chopped it up when he took out the computer. i have a small block 350 in now, the alternator doesn't have a red and a black wire, it has a green and black. i'm just wondering what the wires go to. i'm assuming that the green wire is getting the juice, does the black wire go to the electrical gauge? thanks

Random Images
500/thumbs/IMG_3947s2.jpg
by MillerMonteSS
934/thumbs/Side_Pic_after_Paint2.JPG
by Sherdep
500/thumbs/00000.jpg
by Fjbonez
595/thumbs/Final_assembly_side_panel_emblem_left.jpg
by StripedSS
500/thumbs/1986_7.JPG
by Rich S
Help MonteCarloSS.com