CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1074244 07/01/22 02:09 AM
TMANN Offline OP
OP Offline
Guys please help,

Several days ago I drove the Monte to work and back with no issues. The next day I started it up and noticed the following:

1), once in drive the carb seem to bog down.

2), it will shut off if I remove the lid from the air cleaner.

3). It will start up after pressing the accelerator but will not run/idle unless I place the lid back on the air cleaner.

The car runs fine as long as it's idling in park. I have since cleaned the carb and linkage, inspected for vacuum leaks (none so far). None of this corrected the issue.

The car is pretty much stock (with emission).

Any insight will be helpful.

Thanks

Terence/Orlando, FL

1988 Monte Carlo SS, T-Top,Black With Saddle Interior, Stock Engine and Transmission.
15+ Year
15+ Year
Sounds like it is running lean, most likely a vacuum leak. Do you have a analog dwell meter? Once fully warmed up the engine should idle at 600 rpm in drive.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
TMANN Offline OP
OP Offline
Buick Runner,

I really appreciate your response, I ended up installing a remanufactured carb Saturday morning (the car runs much better).

I do not have an analog dwell meter but I plan on ordering one today. I hope to give it a full tune-up by the end of the week, I will let you know how things go.

Thanks again for chiming in.

Terence

1988 Monte Carlo SS, T-Top,Black With Saddle Interior, Stock Engine and Transmission.
15+ Year
15+ Year
I wish you luck with thr reman carb as they are infamous for having problems. Its far better to rebuild the original carb. Reman guys often cobble together mismatching Qjet parts and use low quality replacement parts

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
TMANN Offline OP
OP Offline
Buick Runner,

I definitely get your point.

Unfortunately, I replaced the factory unit years ago. However, I'm beginning to understand these carbs as I've started to read one of the two books you recommended in another post.

The choke adjustment, and a full tune-up is scheduled to be performed this weekend (I will let you know).

Thanks again

bad float my guess

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes