MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1072625 - 12/02/21 05:30 PM How do you set needles on gauges correctly?  
Supa.Slo.SS Offline
Supa.Slo.SS  Offline

Rancho Cucamonga CA
So I made the mistake of not paying attention on the orientation of the needle before removing them, all the gauge needles for the entire cluster, i.e., Speedo, RPM, Fuel, Oil Pressure, Temp & Voltage were removed & replace.

I snapped the new retro-fitted needles (self-made) without worrying about the orientation but now I don't know if the readings are correct.

Current readings at idle, Speedometer - 4 MPH, Fuel - Past Full, Voltage - 16, Oil Pressure - 60, Temp - 100, RPM 300-400.

Anyone know how to set them up? I thought about having the ignition switch to the on position (2 clicks) & set all the needles at 0, except for the fuel & Voltage.

The fuel gauge previously did not give the correct reading because of a faulty sending unit that needs to be replace, so I guess I will have to address that one later, but once fixed I would imagine filling up the tank & set the needle at full.

The voltage I thought about doing the same, turn the key and check the voltage at the amp? with volt meter then set the needle at that number?

Thanks in advance.

#1072629 - 12/03/21 02:11 AM Re: How do you set needles on gauges correctly? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
OK, here is my theory, warm the engine up to operating temp(if you have a picture of that, all the better) then install the needles. The temp gauge at about 190 if you haven't installed a cooler thermostat, the voltmeter at 14 volts, oil pressure at 10 or 15, the tach at idle at around 700 rpm(if you know it's correctly idling) and the speedo should be at zero. good luck with the gas gauge!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1072636 - 12/04/21 12:09 AM Re: How do you set needles on gauges correctly? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
Two other possibilities with stock: I read up a very long time ago about the stock sensor voltage outputs as a function of input (specific to level, temp, etc). Anyone remember? Would give a very good approximation by testing voltage output (or maybe resistance?) and setting needle. As I am not using stock gauges any longer and its been awhile I may be off, I think some of the gauges retain the last setting. Now if you pulled power off the sensor and powered the gauge it would read max hi or min low? Then, knowing which, you could set the needle accordingly. Thoughts from others?
Gordon

1987 Aerocoupe. Frame-off, notched/mini-tub, 383 with AFRs @ 535HP/487TQ, March Serpentine, 304 SS headers (Jet-Hot) & 304 3" dual exhaust w/ Borlas, Janis 200-4R, TrueTrac w/ girdle and Moser 28, Hydroboost, computer delete, lowered, every part replaced or messed with (several times).
#1072637 - 12/04/21 01:26 AM Re: How do you set needles on gauges correctly? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
PB86SS/87LS Online beer
Administrator
20+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Online Beer
Administrator
20+ Year

New Berlin, WI
Or get another set of gauges, with key on note the needle position and copy it with yours. Might take a couple attempts switching gauges with the key on or operating temp, but would think it would get you pretty close if not right on.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 350 CCC Q-Jet/CZF 2004-r/8.5" 3.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#1072642 - 12/04/21 05:26 PM Re: How do you set needles on gauges correctly? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
Are we overthinking it? Maybe just place needles at zero/minimum with ignition off? I don't remember which if any of the (original) gauges hold their last value?

An FYI on calibration; resistance of sender:
Fuel - 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full(+)
Coolant - 1365 ohms at 100 deg F and 55 ohms at 260 deg F
Oil Pressure - 90 ohms at maximum press and 0 ohms at 0 press

(BTW - the coolant temp alarm switch closes at 258 deg F.)

HTH
Gordon

1987 Aerocoupe. Frame-off, notched/mini-tub, 383 with AFRs @ 535HP/487TQ, March Serpentine, 304 SS headers (Jet-Hot) & 304 3" dual exhaust w/ Borlas, Janis 200-4R, TrueTrac w/ girdle and Moser 28, Hydroboost, computer delete, lowered, every part replaced or messed with (several times).
#1072643 - 12/04/21 06:41 PM Re: How do you set needles on gauges correctly? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
69hurstolds Offline
69hurstolds  Offline

Aiken, SC
I know it's probably not the easiest thing to do or the best thing to do, but if I needed to reattach the gas gage needle, and I know it worked, I would park it in the driveway, on a level surface, empty the gas tank, pour a couple gallons back in and crank it up, sit back in a lawn chair with a beer and watch it run it until it dies. Or wash the car and start detailing other crap or whatever while I wait but once it dies, it's EMPTY. Then pour 2 gallons of gas in it and then put the needle back on at E mark. Then you'll know you have exactly 2 emergency gallons left to get to a gas station when on E. Or put the needle on E when the car dies running out of gas. Just make sure it doesn't hit E again though or you'll be walking. So you'll have to remember where it's at when on E. You could do it as Full as well, but which is more important? Knowing how full that FULL is, or when you'll have to start thumbing a ride to the next gas station? I always start hunting for a gas station when I just start below 1/4 of a tank anyway. I haven't had to walk yet. Knock on wood.

Most of your indicators like volts, oil pressure and temperature are just ballparks anyway. Not even sure you could calibrate them or not. I only use them to familiarize myself to what "normal" would be for that car and say if voltage is normally looking like it's around 13V running, then you can tell when it's drifting under or over your normal would be and hopefully take action before something goes pop.

#1072679 - 12/06/21 07:42 PM Re: How do you set needles on gauges correctly? [Re: AkronAero]  
Supa.Slo.SS Offline
Supa.Slo.SS  Offline

Rancho Cucamonga CA
Originally Posted by AkronAero
Are we overthinking it? Maybe just place needles at zero/minimum with ignition off? I don't remember which if any of the (original) gauges hold their last value?

An FYI on calibration; resistance of sender:
Fuel - 0 ohms empty and 90 ohms full(+)
Coolant - 1365 ohms at 100 deg F and 55 ohms at 260 deg F
Oil Pressure - 90 ohms at maximum press and 0 ohms at 0 press

(BTW - the coolant temp alarm switch closes at 258 deg F.)

HTH
Gordon

Thanks Akron. I think is will be the most effective way to set the gauges.

Someone mentioned on a different forum that correct resistor value between the sender wire and ground and then set the needle where it's suppose to be. So I'll try it this way & see how it all works out.

Random Images
500/thumbs/Monty_ps.JPG
by 85RESTOSS
528/thumbs/ForceGeometry.jpg
by SickSpeedMonte
500/thumbs/CCC_Dwell_Fixed_over_50.jpg
by Ritttzz
957/thumbs/DSC00003_1_1.JPG
by SSLANE
500/thumbs/143.JPG
by CashMoneyMotorsports
Help MonteCarloSS.com