Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#1071750 - 08/22/21 06:40 PM EFI Options  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
Looking for EFI options.
The original 5.0 is coming out and have a new 5.7 roller cam crate motor with mechanical fuel pump option if desired.
Have a pair of aluminum 63cc L98 Corvette heads going on.
Not sure if I'm going to put a new carb on the original aluminum intake or an EFI system on it, but this mongrel electronic carb/system is GONE off the new engine.
What is the simplest fuel management system to install without dropping the tank?
This not a street racer, but its time has come for a little upgrade.
All advice and personal experiences on this are welcome.
Thank you

#1071753 - 08/22/21 11:15 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
I’ve been tuning and building cars for a long time - well,, not so much here lately. Anyway, tuned many computer controlled carbs back in the day (stock 305 to 500+HP 406). I’m going to be that guy and can tell you a properly running electronic carb with a few minor tricks WILL run as good or better than a vacuum 750 Holley and get better gas mileage on most mild to moderately powered 350s. The problem is, there probably isn’t someone local to you that can work on them and there is a learning curve that most won’t want to pursue by doing it yourself. The good news is though, there a number of people on the board that have used a few places that have rebuilt the electronic carb with good results – if you can be persuaded or convinced to go that route.

Check out this recent thread.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1071405&page=1

As far as fuel injection, the 4-barrel throttle body injection systems are a bit of a step up from the CCC, but I personally wouldn’t go through the hassle of converting from a CCC on anything around and under 400HP. Multiport Injection is by far the better choice, even a TPI conversion using the electronics and possibly a different manifold (if maximum performance is needed) would be a good choice. If going multiport, as far as dropping the fuel tank, I think the easiest conversion is using one of Holley’s Retro Modules that replace the stock sending unit. It requires dropping the tank, which isn’t that hard and appears to me to be a better option than most. I probably would be mindful of the fuel level and not run below 1/4 tank, unless you spend another $180 or so on an EFI replacement G-body tank.
https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_tanks/muscle_car_efi_modules/parts/12-306

Original owner of 1985 SS black hardtop w/gray interior. Frame-on restoration in progress. 406 sleeper w/ heavily ported FIRST TPI. 1.875" headers and dual 3.5" Borla exhaust. TH400, Ford 9", anti-roll bar, and notched frame. Dropped 2", 18" wheels, and F/R disk brakes. 10-point cage w/swing-out bars, custom gauges, and audiophile stereo system.
#1071760 - 08/23/21 03:08 AM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
A little back ground on this and myself.

When I got this car I noticed the fender mounted map sensor before I noticed the E4MC carb.
The map sensor didn't have a vac hose supporting it, which I added figuring it needed one.
I am very well schooled on conventional carbs and Rochester Qjets and EFI theory as a marine tech/business owner.
This one kinda threw me, but ordered the correct kit for it to freshen it up.
When I hear owners say they are ripping out a TBI or TPI management system to go carb cause they don't speak the language or understand it I cringe the same way I do when somebody refers to a Qjet as a Quadrabog if you know what I mean.
The car has forever thrown a service code on deceleration and not having a scan tool for it took it to a local well known shop to isolate the problem who specializes in automotive diagnostics.
He did say the TPI ref voltage was stuck on 5 and not moving prompting me to put a new sensor in over the winter but offered no other reason for the service light.
This did not cure the code and made the engine unstable, its currently unplugged and running pretty well but has an off idle hesitation.
I jumped the data port plug and blinked a code 24 I believe which came up as a trans speed sensor which is connected at the speedometer, ordered and replaced with nos with no change to the code.
So without a scan tool I can read during the lamp on time, I'm kind of stuck with that along with the lack of techs that know this particular system.
This 305 runs pretty good with 85k, but has a small leak at the pan front/rear gasket, not sure but small.
I initially got this new engine to replace the engine in my 88 IROC, but that car is so pure I'm leaning towards a freshen up rather than replacement.
Any assistance guys here can offer regarding tuning I will follow, but just figured where this is kind of a transition mongrel between straight up carburetor and EFI, I'd start fresh with an EFI upgrade is all.
If I can make this fuel management system work well I will leave it and in the mean while do some reading on the links you posted.
Thanks for the help on this, Rick

#1071761 - 08/23/21 04:23 AM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Check out this thread for some scanner info - invaluable when troubleshooting these electronic systems.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1071511

Here's the link to the scanner Brent is using ($75)
http://www.1320electronics.com/12pin_ALDL_BT_MK2.html

Looks like there is a used Brainmaster 3250 on eBay right now also.

#1071764 - 08/23/21 12:15 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
Which one would you chose of the two?
tx r

#1071766 - 08/23/21 02:30 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
88ssBrent Online content
88ssBrent  Online Content

Friendsville
The most valuable things for tuning, troubleshooting, and understanding the ccc that i have found is the GM service manual for your car and year, this forum, 3rdgen.org has some good ccc info, cliffs high performance quadrajet forum has a little ccc info, Doug Roes quadrajet book touches on it some, cliffs book doesn't touch on ccc at all.

This is a link to the service manual and I recommend getting the electrical supplement with it. Once again make sure its for your model year, mine is an 88.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1988-GM-Fa...46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0

This manual and this forum will have all the info you need on the ccc. The manual is invaluable.

I started using just a used cheap ebay dwell meter to check the mixture control but I needed more so I started wanting to dig in more. I searched for a brainmaster but ran across 1320 electronics device. John the owner built an app for it so the device is bluetooth and you can watch everything on your phone, app is ALDLSCAN. Here is a few screenshots of 3 of the 5 live screens there is no info there because car is not connected.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It also has the capabilities to datalog. Remember the baud rate is slow and you are dealing with 1980's technology but this is one of the datalog screens. I have my a/f ratio gauge going to the spare channel to the right. This would be a quick wot pull.

[Linked Image]

Another one of my old datalogs.
[Linked Image]

I touch on some of my ccc tuning in my build thread on this forum. Now I think I'm around 350 h.p. with my 305 and plan to dyno it this winter. I run 100%, 93 gas but my car fires with a flick of a switch and my a/f is spot on from idle to wide open throttle. At cruise it stays between 14.5 to 15 a/f.

https://youtu.be/eiKtI-UGMsA

If you stay with the ccc I like using cliffs parts on rebuilds.

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 08/23/21 03:32 PM.
#1071771 - 08/23/21 04:46 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
So a quick peek at this I see temp, are there both analog and digital sensors in this engine?
I also see speed which has me wondering about running changes made over the years.
Mine may be older as a reason.
Good info, thanks
r

#1071772 - 08/23/21 05:35 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Yes, temp for the ccc comes from sensor in the water neck, temp for dash gauge comes from water jacket in head on drivers side atleast on 88 and I would think the same on all monte carlo ss. The vss if I remember correctly is an optical reader located in speedo head i think its what sends speed signal to computer for Trans lockup and the cable from the trans goes to the speedometer gauge. There were a few changes to the computer in 87 i think was the year but it was not much. The file i use is for 84 up ccc so im willing to bet as long as your car is intact everything im speaking of is there or atleast should be.

#1071773 - 08/23/21 05:55 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Gm training videos for the ccc it says 81-83 but it does apply to ours.
Part 1 https://youtu.be/8jGqIBAUnMY
Part 2 https://youtu.be/vDStPuQyo_Q
Part 3 https://youtu.be/OVrvSDuFOjM
Part 4 https://youtu.be/wbscqaLYNjw

If you know quadrajets and efi theory you should be good to go. Also you can look into burned eprom chips from member bitflipper for the ccc helps with a few things depending on your build if you decide to stay ccc but not needed, as Kevin (BADSS) said the ccc is more than capable for some pretty good h.p. Also know Lance (SSlance) used his on a 383 and Bob (mmc427ss) used the ccc on his 427. At the end of the day you will just need to decide whats best for you as far as carb or efi.

Last edited by 88ssBrent; 08/23/21 06:40 PM.
#1071774 - 08/23/21 07:15 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
I waited forever to do my EFI swap, because I wanted to make sure I did it right. The fuel pump, tank pickup being my biggest concern. I ended up custom building the tank I needed and it works perfectly...but certainly not a bolt in solution. Once you get the fuel pump portion figured out, the rest of the EFI setup is fairly simple. I went with Holley Terminator 4 bbl throttle body but now that there is a multiport intake that works with vortec heads, I'd go that route if doing it again. But yes, it's awesome once you get it dialed in. The Holley software is super easy to deal with and I know a guy that can remote tune it to make it run as smooth as a 5th gen Camaro...

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1071776 - 08/23/21 07:56 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
I really appreciate all the input on this.
I am a stock kind of guy and would rather keep it that way aside from wanting the 5.7 in there.
This discussion has changed my mind over the EFI I think.
The car came at me while looking for a 69 442 which was turning up junk or super high numbers and I bought it.
Meanwhile last year about this time that 442 popped up and yup now I have 3 of them running me ragged.
The resto was mainly cosmetic but I did a 2.5" SS exhaust first cause I had to and its got flow masters that sound great.
This is the start to finish album on my FB page, it was a long way back for this one, but still has most of the original paint.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10219216671381632&type=3

#1071779 - 08/23/21 09:05 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: SSLance]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
OK, So I found the manuals, got the 87 supplement though.
Hoping for the best with the supplement.
Tried to call and order the BT scanner but called due to PP acct.
Will try again tomorrow.

#1071780 - 08/23/21 09:11 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
Originally Posted by 88ssBrent
Yes, temp for the ccc comes from sensor in the water neck, temp for dash gauge comes from water jacket in head on drivers side atleast on 88 and I would think the same on all monte carlo ss. The vss if I remember correctly is an optical reader located in speedo head i think its what sends speed signal to computer for Trans lockup and the cable from the trans goes to the speedometer gauge. There were a few changes to the computer in 87 i think was the year but it was not much. The file i use is for 84 up ccc so im willing to bet as long as your car is intact everything im speaking of is there or atleast should be.

Its all starting to connect now.
That code 24 was for that speed sensor, but no change.
Just knowing its tied in now makes sense.
My brain is still seeing the 400 olds, yes the therm sensor is on that engine.
Its gotta be something stupid, for a cammed 305 it runs excellent all around.

#1071784 - 08/23/21 09:49 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
Originally Posted by Rick Hodgkins
Will try again tomorrow.

Just for your info 1320 electronics is a 1 man show and its his side gig. Any time I have left a message or email he usually returns the call or emails back after 6 or 7 eastern time.

#1071785 - 08/23/21 09:51 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Hunter79764 Offline
10+ Year
Hunter79764  Offline
10+ Year

Grand Prairie, Tx
My $.02, I think your two best options are:
A. Keep the factory stuff and tune it up right
B. Go with a Holley EFI setup (pick your poison on which features and budget you want)

Factory system is complicated but simple, if that makes sense, and the answers can all be found on here, in books, or from a few calls to some smart guys. You can make the system work well and keep all of your functionality like proper transmission function and check engine systems.
For Aftermarket EFI, I'm not seeing where anybody has it figured out as well as Holley. Some of the others may be relatively simple and function well enough, but either they end up being not nearly as simple as they are sold to be, or not nearly as adaptable and capable as they should be. Holley seems to hit it well at the different levels, and the software by all accounts is the easiest to use for beginners and pros alike. You will run into problems that you will have to decide how to fix (fuel pump choice, fuel line connections, cable routing, transmission lockup, cruise control, etc.). None of those have a simple answer, you will need to consider what you want out of it and go from there. none are insurmountable, but they are all personal and will require some looking.

Of course there are other options if you wanted, like a custom port setup with MegaSquirt or a factory TBI retrofit, but it doesn't sound like that is what you are looking for at all. Old school carbs can be an option if you have experience setting them up, but you will still have issues to overcome like the transmission lockup (and TV cable on an aftermarket carb - that catches a lot of folks with a burned up transmission from a wonky bracket etc), cruise control, etc. Again, nothing crazy but there's more to it that just cutting some wires and throwing a double pumper out of the Jegs catalog on it.

Since you specifically asked about the fuel pump, avoid the "fuel command center" from FITech, it is overcomplicated and overpriced, and doesn't work the way it is described. External fuel pumps are loud and relatively unreliable, but the factory EFI tanks and hanger/pump assemblies are cheap and easy on these cars. Dropping the tank is easy, run high pressure fuel line as needed, and either run to a regulator in your EFI system or to a "Corvette Regulator" mounted somewhere reasonable (and I always vote as close to the engine as possible for best control). Look on RockAuto for a tank and hanger/sender for an '85+ Monte with a 4.3l or something like an '88 Grand National, then swap the pump for an appropriate aftermarket high pressure/high flow pump for $150 and be done.

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1071793 - 08/24/21 07:51 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
For the cost of the EFI system you could do a "free" efi swap with an LS based engine.

its kind of silly to spend the money on a standalone EFI kit when a complete motor with an EFI system can be had for about $500...

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
#1071805 - 08/25/21 04:56 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
+headers
+exhaust
+new transmission
+new driveshaft
+electric fan setup
+new air intake setup

Shall I go on? laugh

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1071819 - 08/26/21 03:24 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: SSLance]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
Originally Posted by SSLance
+headers
+exhaust
+new transmission
+new driveshaft
+electric fan setup
+new air intake setup

Shall I go on? laugh

Headers - $200 (even with stock truck manifolds the MY2000+ 5.3 was rated at 285hp)
Exhaust ~ $200 (assuming you have a welder or a buddy with a welder)
You can use any GM old auto trans for $60 with a flexplate spacer a little ingenuity on the kickdown/TV setup/vacuum modulator, I ran my 200-4r for a few years with my LQ4. Granted you probably want a built transmission for anything making significant power over stock.
If you're not running an electric fan setup in 2021, you're either concerned with keeping your car all original so engine upgrades aren't your thing, or you're an idiot. (EFI/Carbed/LS/SBC/BBC even a Ferrari engine swap you should ditch the power and response robbing mechanical fan)
Air intake setup $90 (really you should try to get cold air into any engine, but the EFI system will pull timing if your IAT's are too high)
engine Mounts ~150
Oil pan ~ $350 (I mean technically the truck pan fits, but its risky as low as it hangs)
and the rest of the fuel system is nearly identical between an EFI system and an LS. so the costs are a wash.

A 5.3 LS is the cheapest available cam away from making a legitimate 420 hp, you can make more if you choose a slightly better cam. The rest of the engine can be untouched

Sure there are articles likes this one https://www.motortrend.com/news/0611em-vortec-small-block/ which show a "$3500" 447HP small block but then you see the article was written in 2006 and now that's nearly $5000. Then there's these type of articles, which show a $500 junkyard motor, and $500 worth of cam and valve springs making 467 https://www.cpgnation.com/the-100-horsepower-upgrade-cam-only-5-3l-test/ (both are tested with headers and an electric waterpump so the cost of headers/WP is a moot point)

Unless you are a class limited, there is not a single practical reason put a dime into a Gen I SBC in this day and age. You're like folks in the late 50's still believing the flathead is a competitive or worthwhile engine to build. Because of the value, because of the known results in my mind its borderline irresponsible to recommend doing anything other than an LS in one of these cars because it is so easy and cheap. Either keep the CCC system and the L69 and enjoy the horsepower of the 80's or rip it out and replace it with an LS, a motor actually worth your time and money.

Shall I go on?

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
#1071824 - 08/27/21 12:09 AM Re: EFI Options [Re: Travis Jones]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
Originally Posted by Travis Jones
For the cost of the EFI system you could do a "free" efi swap with an LS based engine.

its kind of silly to spend the money on a standalone EFI kit when a complete motor with an EFI system can be had for about $500...

Depends on the area, some places you can't even buy a bare LS engine for less than 1k yet alone a complete running one with all the many accessories it needs to run. Cheap LS engines are fast becoming unicorns. Maybe too many people blowing them up with cheap Ebay turbos exhausting the supply.

Really, in this day and age its not worth putting a dime into G bodies when you can go buy a used factory powered LS car which is going to be all around far better car for less than updating a 80's downsized granny car. Even with an LS swap a g body is still an outdated 60's based design that will horribly hamper your LS motor withouf major and expensive upgrades to the frame, body, suspension, brakes, etc.

Last edited by Buick Runner; 08/27/21 12:18 AM.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#1071828 - 08/27/21 03:49 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA
Really not a swap fan, more of a retro type.
Its a cruiser, not a street car.
Not looking to wreck it or spend time in court.
Just thought given the leaks I'd use this new motor I already own.
The advice to keep the CCC is taken, manuals on the way.
The 5.0 actually runs well as it sits, but want it tight with no leaks.
If its gotta come out, may as well use this motor I have is all.

#1071829 - 08/27/21 08:21 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
Hunter79764 Offline
10+ Year
Hunter79764  Offline
10+ Year

Grand Prairie, Tx
Sounds like a plan thumbs

Lots of opinions on LS vs CCC vs SBC vs whatever, ultimately it is your car, your choice, and your enjoyment that counts.

Shawn

'85 MC with budget 5.3L swap, TH350 with stock 2.14 rear end
It ain't much off the line, but it's nice on the highway
#1071831 - 08/27/21 10:43 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Hunter79764]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Originally Posted by Hunter79764
Sounds like a plan thumbs

Lots of opinions on LS vs CCC vs SBC vs whatever, ultimately it is your car, your choice, and your enjoyment that counts.

I'll second that!!

Good luck with the engine swap - keep us posted on how it's going.

Original owner of 1985 SS black hardtop w/gray interior. Frame-on restoration in progress. 406 sleeper w/ heavily ported FIRST TPI. 1.875" headers and dual 3.5" Borla exhaust. TH400, Ford 9", anti-roll bar, and notched frame. Dropped 2", 18" wheels, and F/R disk brakes. 10-point cage w/swing-out bars, custom gauges, and audiophile stereo system.
#1071832 - 08/27/21 11:49 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
88ssBrent Online content

Friendsville
I have found thats its easy to get caught up in what other people think you need and get a person away from what they truly want. A person has to be honest with themselves on how they want to use their car and what is important to them. Its great that we all have so many avenues to explore, it sure would be boring if we all had the same thing.

#1071845 - 08/29/21 01:28 AM Re: EFI Options [Re: Rick Hodgkins]  
200kSS Offline
20+ Year
200kSS  Offline
20+ Year

Bloomsdale, MO
"Shall I go on?"

Yes please. Which front accessory drive system and intake are you using for this mythical 5.3? Does your plan keep the working cruise control, a/c and factory gauges?

88 SS Black/Oxblood. Power Tour car
80 Malibu 2dr. Drag Week car
#1071851 - 08/29/21 10:24 PM Re: EFI Options [Re: 88ssBrent]  
Rick Hodgkins Offline
Rick Hodgkins  Offline

Freetown, MA

Originally Posted by 88ssBrent
Originally Posted by Rick Hodgkins
Will try again tomorrow.

Just for your info 1320 electronics is a 1 man show and its his side gig. Any time I have left a message or email he usually returns the call or emails back after 6 or 7 eastern time.

I tried to order online, but it was NIS
Sent email
Maybe its just these times we're in taking its toll, I totally get it.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Random Images
500/thumbs/front_seat1.jpg
by Rodney
1113/thumbs/BadAssFender7.jpg
by Z65_Paul
500/thumbs/Monte_Carlo_at_CCWD-06.jpg
by upflying
500/thumbs/old_pics_084_-_Copy.JPG
by MaverickMonte85
1125/thumbs/IMG_5004.jpg
by The PC Surgeon