Next Thread
Print Thread
#1070916 - 06/02/21 01:29 AM Body Bushings Recommendations  
Cos86SS Offline
10+ Year
Cos86SS  Offline
10+ Year

Westfield, MA
I'm looking at replacing the body mount bushings on my 86 SS. The original body bushings are still on the car and are long overdue for replacement. I would like to purchase a complete kit (bushings, washers, and bolts) and looking for recommendations from others who have installed them on their cars. Dixie Monte Carlo, Mikes Monte and OPGI have kits but want to make sure that they include all the mounts I will need for my 86 SS. Any other recommendations are welcome.

Also, I have heard that Polyurethane bushing tend to make noise (squeaking sound) after they age. Is there a brand that reduces or eliminates this squeaking noise?

Thanks,
Cos

86 Monte Carlo SS W/T-Tops 'Original Owner'
355 CI, Hooker Super Comp Headers, True Dual Exhaust, Comp Cam Roller Cam (XR276HR-10), Q-Jet Carb 795CFM. 200-4R Transmission. 2" Lowered Suspension.
#1070919 - 06/02/21 04:45 AM Re: Body Bushings Recommendations [Re: Cos86SS]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
You need to decide, poly or rubber. I've had Prothane black poly for several years now, no squeaking here. You shouldn't get any squeaking as there is very little movement at the bushing, the frame and body almost become one.

Have you read through the post about body bushings?
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=621162#Post621162

I can't speak for the quality of the aftermarket rubber bushings available, are they as good as original, I'm cynical when it come to re-popped parts these days. The rubber kits give you one durometer (hardness) for all the common bushings, 2,4,5,6 . The original stock bushing there was several different durometer used depending on the make and model of a G.
That said go rubber if it's a cruiser and tightening up the wet noodle isn't important.
The difference between rubber and poly is noticeable. The NVH suffers a little anytime you add poly to a suspension/chassis point.

After checking durometer numbers between Prothane and Energy Susp I choose the slightly harder Prothane black. But i also have Delrin in the #1 and #2 body bushings positions which really tightens up the frame to body connection at the front of the car. But i also threw NVH worries out the window long time ago.
Bob

#1070921 - 06/02/21 07:32 AM Re: Body Bushings Recommendations [Re: Cos86SS]  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
I can confirm what Bob said. No noise coming from my SS either. Mine is Energy Suspension unit. You will notice the difference but couple of my body bushing was in sad shape (Two of them were in very sad shape, with almost half of the rubber gone) so maybe that is the reason why I noticed huge difference. Looking at the bushing, it's dirty but looks like new still.

I also have to agree with Bob with aftermarket rubber. Over the year, I had to replace like control arm and such (not on SS but other DD or friend's car) and within few years, rubber started to deteriorate or started to make noise. My current ride for DD is 2004 Lincoln LS, so I had choices of aftermarket parts like control arm but I went with Ford original parts due to difficulty of the repair (not the repair itself, but to take off or put anything in it. Try Google search. You will find tons of horror story). I'm not too crazy about busting my knuckle (I'm not joking) every 2 years or so to change aftermarket control arm.

Bottom line, it's your choice but I never had any regret with my bushing choice.

1986 Silver MCSS - Poly bushing and Hotchkis spring w/Bilstein, Posi w/3.73, MSD 6-AL, E-Brock 600cfm, Aluminum 2-row radiator.
1986 Black MCSS - R.I.P............Finally.
#1070929 - 06/02/21 10:09 PM Re: Body Bushings Recommendations [Re: Cos86SS]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
Whichever you decide to go with, rubber or polyurethane, make sure you get the the bushing that is located just above the rear wheel well opening. It is called "GNX" bushing and only GNX's had it. When I installed mine, there is a spot on the frame where it fits into. I bought mine from Dennis Kirban.

Good Luck

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9.
#1070932 - 06/03/21 02:11 AM Re: Body Bushings Recommendations [Re: Cos86SS]  
Cos86SS Offline
10+ Year
Cos86SS  Offline
10+ Year

Westfield, MA
Great info everyone. Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like Polyurethane is the better choice for longevity. I did read the Sticky on Body Bushings but it did not make sense to me, however, after reading your responses, I reread the post and I now understand what it's stating. Based on what I read, it seems to indicate that the GNX bushing is #5 and is not installed on the Montes. I assume this will improve the ride by installing the GNX bushing.

My car is not a daily driver but want it done right. I am installing a new exhaust (Borla Muflers with 2.25" Al pipes) next week (or week after) so I have some time to think about the body bushings.

Thanks again everyone for your help.
Cos

86 Monte Carlo SS W/T-Tops 'Original Owner'
355 CI, Hooker Super Comp Headers, True Dual Exhaust, Comp Cam Roller Cam (XR276HR-10), Q-Jet Carb 795CFM. 200-4R Transmission. 2" Lowered Suspension.

Random Images
500/thumbs/IM001255_2_.JPG
by ProchargedMonteSS
500/thumbs/IMG_0251_2.jpg
by DannyB
500/thumbs/IMG_0693.JPG
by 565bbchevy
500/thumbs/IMG_0395s.jpg
by Turbo5
500/thumbs/FanWiringDiagram3poleAndAC.jpg
by SickSpeedMonte
Help MonteCarloSS.com