Print Thread
#1070867 - 05/27/21 10:18 PM Aftermarket door weatherstrip  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
Aloha guys.

I knew this would happen and it's time for me to replace it before I make any window adjustment. So want to hear your experience and if you have, any tip(s) before I make the purchase.

Couple days ago, I took my car to car wash. It's one of those type that you stay in your car and let the washer push the car through. Reason why I did this is to see if I have any leak (which I knew I will have at several places) and where and how bad it is. Sure enough, my right side, above the window and trickled down to where the computer sit (No, I don't have the computer any more). Surprisingly, driver side held up, but I'm not gonna just change one side.

So, eyeballing either from Dixie's or Mike's Monte. For now, I'm planning to replace upper/lower door strip. Do you guys have any recommendation which one to use? I'm leaning towards Mike's for now because he have upgraded lower door strip (this one. https://www.mikesmontes.com/Upgraded-Door-Seals_p_3032.html ).

Now, I hear and read lots of horror stories about aftermarket weatherstrip. So I know it's not perfect fit, but what's the problem with these? inconsistency? I hear/read some say it's not bad, some say it's terrible. Some say it's too short, some say it's too long. What's your experience? Any tip(s)? I need to replace these, not I want to. Leak was bad enough for me to say "yup, time to replace".

Thanks for your advice and help.

1986 Silver MCSS - Poly bushing and Hotchkis spring w/Bilstein, Posi w/3.73, MSD 6-AL, E-Brock 600cfm, Aluminum 2-row radiator.
1986 Black MCSS - R.I.P............Finally.
#1070881 - 05/29/21 05:18 AM Re: Aftermarket door weatherstrip [Re: FinallySS]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
A little reading here about my trials and tribulations with door seals two years ago. Read the whole post if you have time.
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1059322&page=9

I would call Mike and see what he has to say about the current crop of seals available. Like everything else these days I'm sure availability and quality may be an issue.
The OEM are the best but gone, gone, gone. I see Fairchild shows a roof rail seal but i think it's a Softseal. Tried both Metro and Softseal roof rail seals. The Metro i found way to firm, removed and send back to Summit. Using Softseal currently.
For the door seals tried Metro on L side, ripped it off the doors after install and trashed them, WAY to firm.. Installed an OEM on the pass side I got from Mike. On the left side next did a dry fit with Softseal, not happy with the fit and firmness. Fairchild KG3142 is softer, but at that time was made to short on the front end of the door Ended up marrying two L Fairfield seals to make one the correct length.
https://fairchildindustries.com/pro...ter_model=monte-carlo&product-page=2

Call Mike, pick his brain on Fairchild to see if the length problem on the KG3142 has been fixed. They would be my choice for door seals over Softseal and Metro, hands down. Roof seals Softseal over Metro any day.But as we know the times have changed.
Bob

#1070900 - 05/31/21 08:10 AM Re: Aftermarket door weatherstrip [Re: FinallySS]  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
Thanks Bob. Will try mike like you said. But time difference is the big killer for me.

Let's hope they changed for the better.................

1986 Silver MCSS - Poly bushing and Hotchkis spring w/Bilstein, Posi w/3.73, MSD 6-AL, E-Brock 600cfm, Aluminum 2-row radiator.
#1070902 - 05/31/21 03:58 PM Re: Aftermarket door weatherstrip [Re: FinallySS]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
The main issue is that the OEM lower door seals had plastic plates molded into the end pads. Not sure if molded in washers is enough. The other issue is that the lower lower seal end pads are often an incorrect shape beside the lack of internal reinforcement.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#1070903 - 05/31/21 04:08 PM Re: Aftermarket door weatherstrip [Re: FinallySS]  
kevins88ss Offline
10+ Year
kevins88ss  Offline
10+ Year

Southern Maine
I've done doors and t-top seals. The t-top seals are ok - not great - and they started to split halfway down the side of the drivers window after just a couple of years. And my car stays inside 99% of the time. Expect them to leak unless you spend a stupid amount of time adjusting / fixing them to fit right.

The door seals I got were awful, seriously - they were awful. I had to shave off a bunch one the end by the door hinge side just to get my drivers door to close as it would spring back open unless slammed hard. Terrible aftermarket selection for seals for our cars. I got them from Mikes but don't remember if they were Metro or Softseal. Either way, I'm guessing he'll be happy to sell them to you. FWIW, I threw away the passenger side door seal.

Good luck as there's no great choice.

#1070905 - 05/31/21 06:16 PM Re: Aftermarket door weatherstrip [Re: FinallySS]  
MattsMonte Offline
10+ Year
MattsMonte  Offline
10+ Year

Johnston, Iowa
We did t-tops seals from gbodyparts.com. Their supplier is a former GM supplier. They don't have that same source for non-t-tops that I can see. Our T-top seals look like OEM.

https://gbodyparts.com/product_info.php?products_id=770

[Linked Image]

1988 MCSS T-Tops. Frame off restoration, 330HP 350 crate engine, 700R4 transmission.
#1070922 - 06/02/21 07:40 AM Re: Aftermarket door weatherstrip [Re: FinallySS]  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've noticed that we don't have many choice, and all seems pretty bad. I haven't call Mike yet, but leaning toward with his weatherstrip. Whatever seals I go with, I'll be sure to write a review about it. Let's hope things have change for the better.

Random Images
560/thumbs/IMG_4430.jpg
by STREET FIGHTER
500/thumbs/DSC02417.JPG
by Rodney
1126/thumbs/1986_2.jpg
by Rich S
527/thumbs/88SS_AL_drum.jpg
by TPI Monte SS
1188/thumbs/FB_IMG_1476663390413.JPG
by mclellan83
Help MonteCarloSS.com