Print Thread
#1070710 05/11/21 03:19 PM
M
markg Offline OP
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
M
do any of you have a good writeup for installing a single din stereo in place of the stock one with 2 posts?
i did this a long time ago on my 86 but i hear the 84 is different because of the stock post mounts.

86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.
20+ Year
Online Content
20+ Year
Back in 85 I ordered the SS with the radio delete option. Yes, I cut it (no idea how rare it would be now). There's nothing really to write up, I just situated the cage/sleeve where I wanted it, used masking tape to mark the outside edges and used a dremel to cut the hole for the sleeve. I intentionally cut it under sized and gradually increased the size of the hole until the sleeve barely fit. Then I used some homemade brackets to support the front of the sleeve - you could probably just trim up the stock metal plate for the sleeve to rest on. I also made a small bracket to hold the stud/bolt on the rear of the head unit.. It has worked well for many years.

I wish I had some pictures with the radio installed. - It's a nice clean "flush" fit. I never understood why no one made a 1 DIN face plate bezel for these cars. The later years came with the 1.5 DIN radio and many just converted to those and used the 1.5 DIN to 1 DIN installation kits.

[Linked Image]

Hmmmm, I'm sure you told me before but why did you order the radio delete? Didn't know that was a rare thing, of course ive never really thought about it.

20+ Year
Online Content
20+ Year
Originally Posted by 88ssBrent
Hmmmm, I'm sure you told me before but why did you order the radio delete? Didn't know that was a rare thing, of course ive never really thought about it.

I ordered the car and was big into car audio back then, still am to a degree. I just didn't want to pay for something I wasn't going to use. It still came with the antenna and all the wiring under the dash. They just slapped in a blank face plate on the assembly line as opposed to plugging up the connectors and installing the factory radio.

That center section where the radio sits was smooth gloss black and had chrome trim instead of the gray trim. I practiced on the back side until I found the right grit sand paper to match the brushed texture as best as I could. I color matched the stock gray trim ring using black and gray modeling paint. It's a really close match to the factory brushed finish, which is 85 model specific.

Seems like I tried to buy a "replacement" face plate and either I thought it was too expensive or it was going to take a long time to come in - that was so long ago that I just can't remember - lol,

M
markg Offline OP
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
M
thanks....so i have to cut the metal plate with the 2 holes in it right?
is thgere a certain type of mounting kit i should buy?
can i buy the plug adapters locally so i dont have to cut wires?

86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.
15+ Year
15+ Year
In the 84/85 you want to keep the metal plate that’s behind the plastic radio trim, the 2 lower side screws screw into the metal plate.
You will end up trimming most of the metal to make room for the DIN sized hole.
Since both trim plates align, cut the plastic trim first, then over cut slightly more on the metal plate.

I measured a dozen times the plastic cover and slightly undercut the DIN slot into my original plastic trim, then carefully filed until the radio cage met exactly.

My head unit was a Pioneer Pull-out, so the stereo cage met the plastic trim on all 4 sides and had 1 mm of lip, so I took my time.
Most non-removable have a sleeve style metal mount that is about 1” inside the DIN opening and the stereo has a clip-on trim to cover any gap.

[Linked Image]
15+ Year
15+ Year
Originally Posted by markg
thanks....so i have to cut the metal plate with the 2 holes in it right?
is thgere a certain type of mounting kit i should buy?
can i buy the plug adapters locally so i dont have to cut wires?

You can buy mounting kit and plug adapters sometimes from Walmart, they carry the Scosche (? Spelling), but you can also save some time and go online to Crutchfield.com or call them, they carry vehicle specific plug adapters, and their instructions are clear, and they pickup the phone if you call with any urgent tech problem installing..

[Linked Image]
M
markg Offline OP
15+ Year
OP Offline
15+ Year
M
thank you!

20+ Year
Online Content
20+ Year
All I have to add to what Dave already said is you'll want the bottom of the radio's metal cage to touch/rest on top of the trimmed metal trim plate. It's also very important to make sure you use a bracket to support the back of the radio (they have a stud in the back of the radio for that). I had a radio delete car, so I didn't have the metal plate up front and had to rig up some support brackets. So, if there is a gap between the aftermarket cage and that metal plate, you can split and use some vacuum hose/line as a "filler" for it to rest on. Point is even with the back supported you don't want the plastic bezel supporting the weight of the front of the radio.

I've used the Metro 70-1677-1 harness adapter that Crutchfield sells on a few cars ($5 off eBay). I like it better than the Scosche, which doesn't have the illumination wire that you might be able to use on some radios.
https://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/ImageBank/v20130905132000/Manuals/120/120701677.PDF

You didn't ask about a head unit, but the Kenwood Exelon line all have really good specs and base features. The least expensive one has the same specs and base features/function as their top of the line radio. You just pick what features you're willing to pay for. It wasn't long ago you could snag a feature rich new old stock one off eBay for $100 or so. Looks like they've reduced the line to only three units now and everything has gone up so much in the past year.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

CustomMonteSSParts.com
Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
GSI Interiors
HRpartsNstuff
Mikes Montes