Print Thread
#1069468 - 02/05/21 05:52 AM White smoke from tail pipe  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
Aloha Guys. It's been a while.

Anyway, need help as I just got the car back on the road and haven't had time to diagnose anything yet. Have to use the car to work tomorrow and since my SS will drive for now, diagnosing will be little later as my DD Lincoln LS needs rear wheel bearing badly (has a grinding noise and I had to drive the car as is for about 3 weeks and getting worse everyday).

My SS have white smoke coming out from left bank of the engine. My SS have true dual exhaust, so I can narrow it down to which bank. Reason for my SS been sideline was that I had a small oil leak from back of the intake because I didn't lay enough silicone while back, when I rebuilded my engine.Oil leak wasn't big, but enough to drip down the block, on to the headers and smoke. While I'm fixing the intake oil leak which require to remove the intake, took both head off to change the valve spring and retainer (from stock old spring and oil shield/exhaust rotator to Summit kit). Aside from usual things that needs replacement, such as gaskets, only thing that was changed was the springs and retainers, which I really doubt have any effect on my problem.

Now, I don't know if I had this smoke from before or it just happened. If it had it from before, must been small enough that I didn't notice it, even on acceleration. But now, I can see the smoke even when I'm idling at stoplight.

Any idea what could it be? I can confirm it's a white smoke as I looked several times, making sure it's not light blue smoke as that will indicate oil from somewhere.

1986 Silver MCSS - Poly bushing and Hotchkis spring w/Bilstein, Posi w/3.73, MSD 6-AL, E-Brock 600cfm, Aluminum 2-row radiator.
1986 Black MCSS - R.I.P............Finally.
#1069470 - 02/05/21 02:17 PM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
kevins88ss Offline
10+ Year
kevins88ss  Offline
10+ Year

Southern Maine
Generally, white smoke is anti-freeze leaking into a cylinder and burning off along with combustion. Does it have a sweet smell? At any rate, maybe the head gasket change on that side didn't seat well. Also could check for bubbling in the radiator while its running (do this with the engine cold!), since compression may push into the water jacket and force air into it.

#1069471 - 02/05/21 03:46 PM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
Most likely the head gasket on that side didn't seal, hopefully there isn't a crack. Until you fix it, do not drive the SS anymore as antifreeze will destroy crank bearings. If you continue to drive the SS as is, you will ruin the engine in short time. You could try retorquing the heads while the engine is hot to see if that stops the leak before tearingbit down.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#1069472 - 02/05/21 06:21 PM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: kevins88ss]  
BadSS Offline
20+ Year
BadSS  Offline
20+ Year

Pearl, MS, 39208
Originally Posted by kevins88ss
Generally, white smoke is anti-freeze leaking into a cylinder and burning off along with combustion. Does it have a sweet smell? At any rate, maybe the head gasket change on that side didn't seat well. Also could check for bubbling in the radiator while its running (do this with the engine cold!), since compression may push into the water jacket and force air into it.

Yes as above. Most of the time you can pull the radiator cap when it is cold to see if it’s low and watch for bubbles. If none pull the plugs on that side to see which cylinder and to make sure it’s not oil. If it’s oil you could have damaged or moved a valve seal up too far or knocked loose a posi-lock seal if that’s what you have. Also could be oil pulling in from the intake. That’s pretty common if the heads have been milled.

Anyway if no bubbles,,, I’d pull the plugs on that side and if oil, pop off the valve covers before getting too worried.

#1069473 - 02/05/21 06:45 PM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Yes as above. Thanks Kevin.

If smoke is that bad the spark plug check will tell you which cyl and whether oil or antifreeze. Pull all 4 and compare them. Could be several causes. Usually it takes several miles to show up after the heads and intake are off.
Head gaskets maybe, a head bolt more likely if coolant. Heads weren't surfaced? Replaced bolts?
Intake seal, could be but good gaskets and uncut heads should be good seal. An oily plug is usually either a valve guide/seal or sucking oil from the valley at the bottom of the port.

When you did springs would assume you did guide seals also. The seals are still the o-ring? Not the best setup but works OK as long as the guides are not worn out.
Bob

#1069475 - 02/06/21 02:11 AM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Did you replace the valve stem seals?? Maybe you damaged one of them, does it smoke all the time while you were driving it??

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1069505 - 02/08/21 12:38 AM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
Thanks for all the info guys. Still haven't check the engine, and haven't drove but started couple times just to see if it's still smoking.

As for the engine, nothing has been milled. valve stem seals were replaced when I did the head job, but does not have that much miles on it. My best guess will be less then 1000 miles on it. I believe it's Viton seals. Seals were included with the kit I bought from Summit racing. This is the kit I bought. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-174000 When I took the stock springs off, I double checked the seals but could not detect any flaw in then. I just check by looking at it, so it's possible it has a tear someplace. But I can confirm it's a white smoke. Not blue or light blue smoke.

I checked radiator as I needed to add some coolant but didn't see any bubbling. I will check again soon as it should be full by now (coolant draw from reservoir as I had to add little to the tank). And yes, I need to retorque the bolts as it went through several heat cycle. I do have one more intake gasket on hand (I usually buy several gaskets at time to save on shipping. There's hardly any free shipping to where I live, except few like Amazon), so if get any bad or does not stop, I may pull the intake just to see nothing is leaking under it.

Anyway, thanks again for all the input guys.

Back to my DD repair.......................

1986 Silver MCSS - Poly bushing and Hotchkis spring w/Bilstein, Posi w/3.73, MSD 6-AL, E-Brock 600cfm, Aluminum 2-row radiator.
#1069509 - 02/08/21 05:45 AM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
The old seals on your heads were O-ring or the like the blue seals in the link ? I doubt the 305 heads were machined to use that blue stem seal.
Usually there is a clear plastic sleeve that goes over the top of the valve steam to protect the seal when you install that type of seal. The keeper grooves in the stem of the valve can cut the inner lip of the seal.
Bob

#1069518 - 02/09/21 02:33 AM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: mmc427ss]  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
Originally Posted by mmc427ss
The old seals on your heads were O-ring or the like the blue seals in the link ? I doubt the 305 heads were machined to use that blue stem seal.
Usually there is a clear plastic sleeve that goes over the top of the valve steam to protect the seal when you install that type of seal. The keeper grooves in the stem of the valve can cut the inner lip of the seal.
Bob

Yup. It's the blue seals. I had both head out for head job before my last rebuild, which included the installation of the seal. And yes. It did come with clear plastic tube to protect the seals, but if the machine shop used it or not is another story. Also, my right bank/head uses the same seal, but does not smoke, and the left bank/head in question did not smoke as much, if any, before my last installation. So I'm pretty sure the seals are OK, but I haven't taken the covers off to confirm this.

For now, I'm watching everything, from coolant to oil/dipstick, but so far so good. No trace of coolant. My commute to and from work this week is less than 6 miles, so I'm crossing finger at this time.

#1069531 - 02/10/21 02:06 AM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
6 miles isn't really enough to get the engine up to operating temp!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
#1069584 - 02/17/21 02:32 AM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: 86ttop]  
FinallySS Offline
10+ Year
FinallySS  Offline
10+ Year

Nice Sunny Hawaii
Originally Posted by 86ttop
6 miles isn't really enough to get the engine up to operating temp!

Leo, you need to come to Hawaii and drive in the morning traffic. We don't get below 70's (if it does, we'll be freezing our azzes off :>) and it's a very nice mid to upper 80's nowadays (although today was kinda muggy and hot...............). Believe me, 6 miles is more than enough to get the temp up!

Jokes aside, for now, white smoke stopped. I have no idea why because I didn't do anything. Maybe I had little water in the cylinder(s) when I took off the head. But I swear I stuffed enough of those blue shop towels and rags to keep the rubbish out of the cylinders. Drove it for couple days now, but so far no smoke.

Crossing my finger as SS drives really nice now!

#1069590 - 02/18/21 02:01 AM Re: White smoke from tail pipe [Re: FinallySS]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
You might've gotten some coolant in the exhaust system and it finally boiled out. It takes 160* for the computer(if you still have that working) to get into closed loop. It is probably hotter there now than here in Florida, but it still takes more that 6 minutes to get up to operating temp.

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten

Random Images
500/thumbs/IMG_0697.JPG
by 565bbchevy
500/thumbs/69512_10200670094823223_2081817456_n.jpg
by JAWSS
1083/thumbs/0221111610.jpg
by PIMPC3692
500/thumbs/seat_001.JPG
by montec_ss85