MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1067753 - 08/25/20 04:21 AM How do I protect new OE Dash from cracks?  
Supa.Slo.SS Offline
Supa.Slo.SS  Offline

Rancho Cucamonga CA
Hello everyone, as you all know the G-Body dashes are prone to crack BAD. That being said I was able to pick up an original dash (different color) with almost zero cracks, from what I found only a small hair line crack on one corner of the speaker. I need to paint it to match my interior color but just curious if there is anything I can do to it to prevent it from cracking in the future? Special paint? Light layer of fiber glass, bondo, rhino liner (dont laugh ). I just would really hate for this dash to crack after going through all that trouble of painting and switching out. Obviously, a dash cover would probably help but would like to not have to go that route if possible. Thanks in advance.

#1067757 - 08/25/20 02:01 PM Re: How do I protect new OE Dash from cracks? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
IMO, it is the sun and ozone that kills the dash.
Keep it in a garage as much as possible and cover the dash with a white bath towel when it is parked in the sun.

Last edited by upflying; 08/25/20 02:01 PM.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1067759 - 08/25/20 03:28 PM Re: How do I protect new OE Dash from cracks? [Re: upflying]  
Supa.Slo.SS Offline
Supa.Slo.SS  Offline

Rancho Cucamonga CA
Thanks Upflying.. that is it what most recommend, dash cover and windshield cover when parked. But still hopeful there is something out there to help prevent it.

#1067769 - 08/26/20 01:34 AM Re: How do I protect new OE Dash from cracks? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
I would try the leather treatment products on the market, they'll work on vinyl too!!

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1067775 - 08/26/20 01:17 PM Re: How do I protect new OE Dash from cracks? [Re: 86ttop]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
Originally Posted by 86ttop
I would try the leather treatment products on the market, they'll work on vinyl too!!

That's the thing, what type of plastic is a dash made from and is there a preservative that is safe and compatible with the chemical compounds in the plastic?
Back in the day, there was only one to choose from, Armorall. I think that stuff destroyed dashes, but lots of us used it. Awful stuff.
Here is a list of plastics and their uses, I assume a MCSS OEM dash is injection molded urethane, beyond that IDK. Are there any chemical engineers on the forum?
Beyond a wipe down with a damp cloth, I would not apply anything to a dash.
https://www.polyvance.com/identify.php

Last edited by upflying; 08/26/20 01:20 PM.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1067818 - 08/30/20 01:49 PM Re: How do I protect new OE Dash from cracks? [Re: upflying]  
mrengineer Offline
10+ Year
mrengineer  Offline
10+ Year

The D, MI
I would not use anything on the dash, anything you use will likely accelerate the material property breakdown with normal use (i.e., sun). 80's material technologies coupled w/21 century current car care products probably not the best combination.

Never used or liked ArmorAll products and thankful I never did. As far as the sun and UV rays, lets just say that even in my garage I keep a towel over the glass that gets sun exposure or the cover is on. IP material properties have come a long way, but unfortunately we have to deal with what we have. Even though I have an excellent condition dash today, I know one day I will be faced with having to address it with a sub standard replacement part, but thats another story.

Mr. Engineer
#1067819 - 08/30/20 03:03 PM Re: How do I protect new OE Dash from cracks? [Re: Supa.Slo.SS]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
I agree, never use that ArmorAll crap on a dash. And never use it on any clear plastics like the cluster lens. It ruined the lens on a friend's truck after his wife thought she was doing him a favor by cleaning and making the dash pretty with ArmorAll.

As said the plastic, synthetic, materials used in these antique vehicles was never thought to need to last 30- 40 years. Most all the plastic interior trim is ABS, UV and ozone will kill it. Not sure what the top covering is on the dash but it's the same problem, longevity.
Protect it from exposure, if it needs to sit in the sun cover it, keep it dust free.

My car has 170K on it now and was a daily for my wife for 10 years, never treated. The last 20 years it spends most of it's time inside, when out I minimize frontal sun exposure. One very small crack at the corner of the right speaker grille, a common crack area. The only treatment I do to the dash is when the glass is cleaned with Sprayway and a microfiber wipe the dash is then dusted with the same clean slightly damp with Sprayway wipe as a final to windshield cleaning.

I'm sure there are possibly good products out there for the dash, some say the 303 stuff, every company selling waxes has a dash product. The bad thing about all those products is you are stuck with the finish they put on until it wears off a year later.
I put RainX for the windshield in that same category, once applied the windshield is stuck with it for years, it's in all the nicks, scratches forever. Many years ago used it on my work van, great for rain at 50+ mph drives. But you could see the wiper blade trails on the glass forever, long after I stopped using it. On a short haul daily driver or toy car I would never use RainX again.

On a different note, tire protectant. Just ran out of the Paradise Road, which was a Surf City Garage product (ex CFO of Meguiar), it's was a very good product that lasted for a year, very low luster, and keeps tire looking the new tire look as apposed to the just got out of the silicone bathtub wet look. Spent time at the three different walk in car parts stores searching for a tire care product in Satin, fruitless. So now for a replacement, thinking Zaino Perfect Tire, guess I need to email Crusher. My wife 02 SS is black leather, may try the Zaino leather too.
Bob

Random Images
500/thumbs/Monty_ps.JPG
by 85RESTOSS
528/thumbs/ForceGeometry.jpg
by SickSpeedMonte
500/thumbs/CCC_Dwell_Fixed_over_50.jpg
by Ritttzz
957/thumbs/DSC00003_1_1.JPG
by SSLANE
500/thumbs/143.JPG
by CashMoneyMotorsports