Next Thread
Print Thread
#1067495 - 08/02/20 09:35 PM Best Bang for the Buck Front End Upgrades  
BladeOfAnduril27 Online content
15+ Year
BladeOfAnduril27  Online Content
15+ Year

Doylestown, PA
Hey all. I'm trying really hard not to get the while-I'm-at-it-I-might-as-wells too bad. My car has really sloppy steering, even with the Jeep steering shaft. Basically the front end is pretty well worn out. Suspension and steering is completely stock except for Jeep shaft, Blazer spindles/brakes and Moog tie rods (the stock ends were flopping around like a rag doll). While I'd love to drop $$$ on a UMI kit, I don't have the $$$ for that. So, I'm left with essentially rebuilding the steering and front end with stock parts since the primary goal is getting the car back on the road without going overboard. Given that, are there any high ROI things I can do that are still relatively inexpensive? Poly bushings instead of rubber? Taller than stock ball joints? Thanks.

~ Matt H.

1988 Monte Carlo SS w/ T-tops, White with gray int, 350, Summit cam, World Torquer S/R heads, Holley St. Dominator intake, Edelbrock 600cfm carb, Champion 3-row alum radiator, ramchargers, 200-r4 with CK Shift Kit, billet servo, 2200 stall, Afterburner headers, Pypes 2.5" with x-pipe, Violator mufflers (stock exit), S10 front brake swap.
#1067499 - 08/03/20 12:41 AM Re: Best Bang for the Buck Front End Upgrades [Re: BladeOfAnduril27]  
86ttop Online grandpa
20+ Year
86ttop  Online Grandpa
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
www.p-s-t.com I have used several of their stock rebuild kits with great results!!

Last edited by 86ttop; 08/03/20 12:42 AM.

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1067500 - 08/03/20 02:04 AM Re: Best Bang for the Buck Front End Upgrades [Re: BladeOfAnduril27]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
I think that the UMI front brace makes a huge difference in Steering feel. I'm a big fan of it.
It's not exactly cheap, but It will stay on the car for any other upgrades you do
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...H8z4XZfmgw1h6j0flvoVBPkcddkaAgqoEALw_wcB

The next thing is properly adjust your steering gear box. The gears wear over time and need to be adjusted. You can find this information online
https://bangshift.com/general-news/...ring-box-in-five-minutes-with-two-tools/
https://www.stovebolt.com/techtips/saginaw.htm

Finally a good front end alignment goes a long way.

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
#1067502 - 08/03/20 03:43 AM Re: Best Bang for the Buck Front End Upgrades [Re: BladeOfAnduril27]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Exam the steering linkage before you spend money. With someone sitting in the driver's seat, engine off, ride height, you laying under the front end, Turning the steering wheel firmly left then right, back and forth usually with show a loose steering joint. They all will get sloppy over time, idle, centerlink, inners, outers, little in each adds up quick.
Check the bushings in the upper and lower control arms, old, aged, dry, cracked, oiled. all can contribute to play if in poor condition.
Ball joints the same thing, old, worn, rusty, junk.
Alignment, could be way out. Especially after outer tie rod replacement. Toe is not hard to check, get close.

Start with the mechanical's, they need to be the solid base to then throw performance parts at.
Moog Problem Solver parts was the best you could buy for years, may still be made here.

Although the triangulated front brace is a huge plus make the car a good driver first.
Travis, agreed, every G-body should have one. But my next one will be alum.
Bob

Random Images
500/thumbs/montedecaled_001.JPG
by Monster
523/thumbs/DSC_0656.jpg
by Z65_Paul
644/thumbs/MonteSS_1stDay2sm.jpg
by Dad's SS
1164/thumbs/IMGP6649small.jpg
by Witman69
523/thumbs/DSC_0633.jpg
by Z65_Paul