Next Thread
Print Thread
#1067184 - 07/06/20 11:22 PM bad squeel from front tires on turns  
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year

nj
i put new front springs on my 84 non ss.the front sits up high now but i like it.
i have 235s i think cooper cobras on jegs wheels.
i never drove the car before this so i dont know if it squeeld before all of this.
its very annoying and yesterday in the heat it did it once so bad on a right hand turn that i was sure the tire was rubbing on something and was going to blow out.
i got it back to the shop and pulled it all apart and saw nowhere that anything had rubbed at all.the bearings seemed good too.
im guessing that the taller springs threw something off.
i have so many other things to do with it right now is there a way i can check and maybe remove or add some shims to get it in the ballpark?
everything else seems fine.the wheel is straight,it steers straight and it doesnt wander.

86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.
#1067185 - 07/07/20 12:06 AM Re: bad squeel from front tires on turns [Re: markg]  
AkronAero Offline
10+ Year
AkronAero  Offline
10+ Year

Akron OH
Are you still using the stock 15x7 wheels or have they been changed out and to what?
Bearings possible of course but that would be a grinding/rumble.
Most likely if not driven recently its rust on the rotors (goes away) or even a pad that's not retracting.
Does it sound like the brake is dragging and how does braking alter the noise?
The 235s on stock wheels should be no problem. We go bigger esp with some change to backspacing.
Chin up - you are just getting to know her...
Gordon

#1067186 - 07/07/20 12:55 AM Re: bad squeel from front tires on turns [Re: markg]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Changing ride height via springs can effect alignment especially if your spring change made a fairly large change in ride height

First check the toe of the front tires. Simple to check and not to difficult to adjust. You need a second set of hands, a tape measure and the car sitting at ride height. Pick a point on the tread pattern that is close to the center of the tire and can be used as a point of measurement both sides of the car. Toe should be measured at the spindle/wheel bearing shaft height, that can be difficult on our cars because the sway bar, wheel wells, trans, lots of things get in the way of measuring toe side to side. But get as high up on the the as possible, center of the wheel.

Using the tape measure across the rear of the tire, then move around to the front and measure, be as accurate as possible. Generally the front measurement should be a little less than the rear, 1/16" to 1/8" less, this is toed in, normal.

Adjustment is via the tie rod sleeves. Each side of the steering linkage has an adjustment. A clamp on each side of the sleeve get loosened, the exposed threads in the sleeve get generously sprayed with a rust solvent to free it up so it can be turned. There is a L and R hand thread on the tie rods, they are a 3/4-16 thread. Turning the sleeve will shorten or lengthen that side of the rods. A pitch of 16 means it take 16 turns to move 1". Each rod move 1/16" with one turn causing a 1/8" change on that side. The other side is identical.

Is the steering wheel level when driving straight ahead, this is a toe setting fix. When setting toe only adjusting on one side will effect the steering wheel level.

When adjusting if you would make one full turn on only one side, say longer, that would add 1/8" length to that rod section, which would move that tire front outboard, but not the 1/8", more, because the point of measurement on the tire tread has moved almost 1/4". AND, at the same time the back of the tire measurement has decreased by 1/4". Now measuring toe you find it has changed by 1/2", 1/4" out front and 1/4" in at the rear.
Point is a small adjustment of the sleeves can be a large change in toe.

If you jack the car up to make a toe change at the sleeve you need to insure when the car is back on the ground and it's settled back to ride height.
If you make a toe change roll the car back and forth a couple times with the car stopped while moving forward, this gets the steering linkage settled out in the forward driving direction and tires toe where they are comfortable. Get another toe measurement. A little toe IN is what you hope to achieve.

Could be several other things, camber could be now way off with spring change. Simply sitting on the floor 20 feet in front of the car and using your calibrated eyeball can sometimes detect the tire is leaning in or out excessively. Someone holding a 2' level in the plumb position can even add clarity. Putting a level on the sidewall of the tire is very inaccurate, bulge of the sidewall as it sits on the ground can skew the reading. A straight edge on the bead of the wheel with a digital angle gauge is very accurate way to check caster.

Caster may have changed a little with springs, but not a wear angle, a drastic caster change would effect tire clearance, but.

Are you sure the tire isn't rubbing the sway bar up front, or the frame in the rear side?
Bob

#1067189 - 07/07/20 10:27 AM Re: bad squeel from front tires on turns [Re: markg]  
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year

nj
thanks for the replies.
the wheels are jegs mags 15 x 7.
i have the identical setup on my 86 monte withno issues at all.
these springs brought the front up quite a bit ,even higher than my 86.
the tires are definately not contacting anything and they squeel as soon as they start to turn way before full lock.
when i jacked one side up the other day i saw the driver tire slide outward at the bottom as it came off the pavement as if it was way off on the camber.

86 ss 86 cl,330hp GM vortec cratemotor-700-r trans worked,ford 9.5 inch rear with 3-50s,custom 3 inch exhaust with flowmasters.
#1067203 - 07/07/20 09:59 PM Re: bad squeel from front tires on turns [Re: markg]  
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year

nj
thanks for the replies guys.
i must be getting old!
i just had a friend stand in the parking lot and observe while i went in circles.
its not the front at all but the rear driver side that the tire is contacting the frame.
i can see where its touching the sidewall .
its got less than 1/8 just sitting there so i guess ill need to run a thin spacer.

#1067236 - 07/11/20 06:34 PM Re: bad squeel from front tires on turns [Re: markg]  
markg Offline
15+ Year
markg  Offline
15+ Year

nj
i put longer studs in and ran a .300 thk spacer to be safe.
all good now!

Random Images
500/thumbs/IMG_0398s.jpg
by Turbo5
500/thumbs/0051.JPG
by SSPARKY
1101/thumbs/87_Monte_Carlo_SS1.jpg
by Duster
500/thumbs/door_panel_1_.jpg
by Rodney
500/thumbs/th_ss004-1.jpg
by sstwotimer
Help MonteCarloSS.com