CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1063838 - 10/21/19 12:05 PM New Headliner Installation Tips Needed  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
I have recovered and replaced the headliner in my 1986 MCSS 20 years ago, and reinstallation was straightforward. Now I am replacing a complete headliner assembly with a new ABS backing.

I am looking for tips from people who have installed the ABS-backed headliner, for example:
  • how to find the screw holes for the coat hooks and visors
  • how to install the included adhesive velcro strips (seems tricky as the headliner needs to be precisely located, first)

Marc

#1063846 - 10/21/19 03:42 PM Re: New Headliner Installation Tips Needed [Re: T5montecarlo]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
Remove the front seats and lower both windows to make the install easier., I would make a mixture of Vaseline and powdered chalk or food coloring. Use a Q-Tip to place a dab of the mixture on the screw holes and then lift the ABS backing into place. Bump the screw holes with your hand and lower the backing. The dabs should leave a trace where the holes need to go.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1063849 - 10/21/19 05:19 PM Re: New Headliner Installation Tips Needed [Re: upflying]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
Thank Robert; your tip for the holes sounds logical.

Marc

#1063873 - 10/23/19 06:24 PM Re: New Headliner Installation Tips Needed [Re: T5montecarlo]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
I just discovered the new headliner is already cut out for visors and coat hooks.

If anyone has installed one of these ABS headliners, I would like to know their experience with the adhesive velcro. I have read that the ABS headlines will droop if the velcro is not installed.

I suppose I could snug up the visors and then drop the headliner down a bit and install the adhesive strips, then press against the roof braces so the adhesive sticks to the braces?

Only 3 feet of adhesive velcro are provided.

Marc

#1063983 - 11/03/19 12:21 AM Re: New Headliner Installation Tips Needed [Re: T5montecarlo]  
Slackerzinc Offline
10+ Year
Slackerzinc  Offline
10+ Year

Saint John, New Brunswick
I installed a abs headliner, never came with any Velcro thou. As for ease of install, I had the seats out and it was pretty straightforward putting it in.

#1063993 - 11/03/19 12:51 PM Re: New Headliner Installation Tips Needed [Re: T5montecarlo]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
Thank Andrew.

The interior is already completely out.

My Lessons Learned:
  • The ABS headliner is substantially heavier than the original foam headliner. I did have to overcome some issues.
  • Although the ABS board was precut with holes for the visor, dome lamp, and coat hooks, all the holes didn't align with the holes in the car.
    • Visors: The center hole was in the right place, but the 3 screw holes were clocked differently. I used 1 screw hole as a reference and had to make 2 new screw holes in the headliner to align with the holes already in the car. The screws are not self drilling screws, so the holes must have already been punched in the brace before assembly.
    • Dome Lamp: I have the map light assembly, not the round lamp. The hole may have been precut in the right place. I had to make 1 screw hole about 1/4 inch forward of the precut hole to align with a screw hole in the car. The map lamp assembly has 2 bulges in its base (for the bulbs) that nest nicely in the foam headliner because it is compressible. However, the left/right edges of the lamp are now raised away from the ABS headliner because it is not compressible.
    • Coat Hooks: I had to drill new holes in the plate where the coat hooks mount. The new holes were about 3/8-1/2 inch forward of the original holes. I don't have the original foam board anymore, so I am thinking that the original hooks were placed and drilled on the assembly line, since the screws are self drilling. The foam board is compressible, so there was no likely need to precut a hole for the hook frame. The plate welded to the car is quite large, so there is a lot of room for variances in the location of the coot hooks. I thought about not cutting the headliner material for the hooks and not installing the hooks, but discovered the hooks support the rear of the headliner, so I drilled holes and mounted them.
  • Velcro: The kit came with 3 feet of Velcro. The headliner didn't fit snugly against the front and rear braces of the roof, so I installed Velcro pieces at the front and rear to reduce the stress on the front and rear metal trim. I put another piece near the dome lamp, but I could hear the Velcro separate when I stopped pressing up on the headliner. The map dome lamp mounts to a cantilevered piece of metal rather than directly to the roof brace...a very strange design.

Marc

#1064000 - 11/03/19 07:16 PM Re: New Headliner Installation Tips Needed [Re: T5montecarlo]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
Marc, did you make it to Vargo yesterday?
Bob

#1064007 - 11/03/19 09:33 PM Re: New Headliner Installation Tips Needed [Re: T5montecarlo]  
T5montecarlo Offline
T5montecarlo  Offline

Lederach, PA
Yes, as a spectator parking in the mud; I got there just after 9am and stayed until about 11:30am.
I saw your car, but never saw anyone hanging around it. I haven't seen you in over 10 years, so I don't know whether I saw you or not.

Random Images
500/thumbs/resize12.jpg
by JMonte7892
500/thumbs/door_panel1.jpg
by Rodney
531/thumbs/blue_convert.jpg
by tonys57chevy
527/thumbs/88SS_ChopFive.jpg
by TPI Monte SS
500/thumbs/1983_Monte_Carlo_SS.jpg
by OneCleanMonte
Help MonteCarloSS.com