CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1058826 - 08/28/18 02:51 PM Gear set up question  
Warriorridge Offline
Warriorridge  Offline

Petersburg PA
Hey everyone. I am working on putting together the rear end for my car. I think I got the gear pattern pretty good, but it's my first time setting up gears, so I'd like a second opinion. Here's the coast side
[img]https://flic.kr/p/NpoNgL[/img]
I'm having a hard time getting a very distinct mark, so I don't know how well it shows in the pictures, but it's pretty well centered in the middle of the tooth, and seems to be making good contact.
Here's the drive side
[img]https://flic.kr/p/29roxBE[/img]
The mark is off to the side a little, but it doesn't go off the tooth at all, and it seems to be centered up and down fairly well. The guide I have says to concentrate mostly on the coast side when setting up used gears. I tried a few different thickness of shims for pinion depth, there didn't seem to be a dramatic difference between them, but this one seemed to be the best overall. It looks ok to me, but like I said, it's my first time, and I'd hate for it to lock up the first time I drive the car or something like that.

#1058827 - 08/28/18 02:52 PM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
Warriorridge Offline
Warriorridge  Offline

Petersburg PA
Sorry, I don't know why the pictures aren't working. If you click the link they should show up

#1058834 - 08/29/18 02:29 AM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
ChasUno Offline
ChasUno  Offline

Bradenton, FL
Can't help regarding gear set up, but the pics not showing up might be because Flickr doesn't allow hot linking, or you haven't used the correct link option. Some picture hosting sites give you a list of options for sharing your pictures elsewhere. When you load the picture in your Flickr account, see if it offers this link option:

"BBCode (message boards & forums)"

That's the option I use with my account on IMGUR, and the pictures then display in here.

This is an example:

[Linked Image]

And this is what the link looks like (I modified the [img] bookends to (IMG) so you can see the link without it displaying the picture).

(IMG)https://i.imgur.com/MbaMDiR.jpg(/IMG)

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]
#1058835 - 08/29/18 05:02 AM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
mmc427ss Offline
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Offline
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
I assume this is the 9" for the car. No rebuild/setup experience doing the 9", just mostly Spicers, so how you adjust for the end results are a little different from rear to rear but in the end it's pattern, backlash and preload. It's been a little while since the last rear but from the pics I's say the pattern needs to move a little higher in the tooth and a farther back, favor the heel side. Trying not to give bad info just hard to remember set up adjustments.
Did you check pattern at three places. And is the backlash the same at three different places.

For someone not doing rear often, myself included, it's frustrating looking for the right pattern on both drive and coast sides, all the while the correct carrier preload and backlash in range. Be patient the first rear is the hardest.
The last couple rears I did a pinion depth gauge made things a little easier, borrowed from a friend. You need to get the pinion depth dialed in first. If not using the R&P that came with the center section you're guessing at the depth without a gauge. You're clever and can fab something to check the depth without that expensive gauge. Even after dialing the depth with the gauge tweaking depth a few thousands can effect pattern. A standard nut, not locknut for the pinion make thing a little easier when doing depth setup, save locknut for the final install.
Pinion preload on a Spicer is a crush sleeve, a went instead with a solid sleeve last time. A PITA it was because of a chamfer on the pinion not allowing the sleeve to seat,but got past that and would use one again. Without looking not sure how the 9" does pinion preload, just a couple pointers on preload.

Excessive heat, wear and noise are the bad things that can happen. A correct setup usually is a happy setup. Aftermarket gears today are all over the place, not much of guarantee they will all setup easily. Bought a Moser R&P, the spline on the pinion was not straight, yoke wouldn't go on without a BFH. Sent them back and bought Yukon, happy with them, setup went very well.
Bob

#1058839 - 08/29/18 05:20 PM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
My Yukon gear sets said to only focus on the depth of the pattern, from root to tip. That is controlled by pinion depth with shims, so you take a pinion bearing (the old one if you can get it off intact) and open it up with a flapper wheel so it slips on. Then you can change shims easily. Don't use a crush sleeve until you are ready to button it up for good. It looks like your shims are a touch too thick. See the harsh line on the root side? The goal is to have the pattern feather in towards the root and the tip, especially on the ends of the pattern (nearest the toe and heel). In other words, the pattern should look more like an oval. Yours looks more like a D on it's back. Each time you change shims, re-adjust your backlash to within spec and then pattern it. I found that pinion bearing preload had no effect on the pattern on the GM rears I've done. So after I get a good pattern, I install the new pinion bearing with the press, install the pinion with a crush sleeve, set the pinion bearing preload, and then pattern one final time for sanity. It's always looked good.

#1058843 - 08/29/18 11:53 PM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
Warriorridge Offline
Warriorridge  Offline

Petersburg PA
Ok, thanks guys. It's a Ford 9 inch rear, so pinion preload and pinion depth are two separate adjustments. Basically you set the preload when you assemble the pinion carrier, pinion depth is controlled by shims between the pinion carrier and the case. So it is actually pretty easy to adjust the pinion depth, I don't have to worry about changing the preload or pressing bearings off and on everytime I want to make an adjustment. Backlash isn't that hard either, there are threaded adjusters on either side of the differential assembly. So I can easily adjust things so more if I need to, my problem is I'm just not quite sure what I'm looking for. But it's sounds like maybe I'm not quite there yet, I'll try messing with it some more and see if I can get it any better. Thanks for the advice.

#1058846 - 08/30/18 11:20 AM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
This is what I like to see. Notice how you don't have a straight line across the top or the bottom, but the root and tip feather in at the heel and toe. I add a little gear oil to my marking compound to get a clearer pattern, and drag the ring gear with the heel of your hand to add some contact pressure between the teeth.

[Linked Image]

#1058894 - 09/01/18 05:15 PM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
tedgley Offline
tedgley  Offline

Covington, KY
The first thing I noticed about your pics is the straight line near the bottom of the pattern on both coast and drive sides. This tells me that the pinion is a little too deep. Need to add maybe .005 or .010 more shim under the pinion support to bring it out and get it more like the near-perfect pattern that SickSpeedMonte is showing.

I have set up a lot of 9-inch gears for circle track and we actually don't mind the pattern being a little deep like yours is. But if you want it more perfect, you probably need to shim the pinion away from the axle center a little bit more. Then adjust your ring side to side to get .007-.010 backlash.

Last edited by tedgley; 09/01/18 05:16 PM.
#1059158 - 09/21/18 02:38 PM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
I can't edit the post, but I misspoke in my first post. tedgley is right, the shims are too thin, making the pinion too deep.

#1059168 - 09/21/18 06:27 PM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Warriorridge]  
Witness86SS Offline
Witness86SS  Offline

Hatfield, PA
Originally Posted by Warriorridge
Sorry, I don't know why the pictures aren't working. If you click the link they should show up

I'm a little late on this one, but it won't act as an image unless the link ends in .jpg or .png or some kind of image file extension.

That's why Chas's link works. it ends in .jpg

Justin
1986 Black SS
Upgrades: 350 L05 - Hooker Longtubes - FlowMaster True Dual 2.5" - Electric Cutouts - Electric Fans - Transcooler - Proforged Steering Kit - Astro Shaft - AR62 OUTLAW II Wheels - Energy Suspension Bushings - Bitflipper Chip - 87 ECM - Moog Springs and Ball Joints - Bilstein Shocks - Bucket Seats
#1059223 - 09/25/18 07:53 PM Re: Gear set up question [Re: Witness86SS]  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
Originally Posted by Witness86SS
Originally Posted by Warriorridge

I'm a little late on this one, but it won't act as an image unless the link ends in .jpg or .png or some kind of image file extension.

That's why Chas's link works. it ends in .jpg

On flikr, hit share image (the swoopy arrow to the right) and then copy the BB Code

Code
[url=https://flic.kr/p/NpoNgL][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1865/30457138858_667e87701c_z.jpg[/img][/url][url=https://flic.kr/p/NpoNgL]IMG_20180828_102646[/url] by [url=https://www.flickr.com/photos/142776692@N08/]Justin Yoder[/url], on Flickr

[Linked Image]IMG_20180828_102646 by Justin Yoder

You could delete everything after the first [/url] closing tag if you don't want the link to show up after every picture.

Last edited by SickSpeedMonte; 09/25/18 07:54 PM.

Random Images
664/thumbs/top_plate_cover_201175838_std.jpg
by tomkat
500/thumbs/car_134.JPG
by monte_ss_freak
500/thumbs/Resized952019091395172641.jpg
by markg
500/thumbs/Bare_Interior.JPG
by ga86aero
716/thumbs/Cap_and_gown_2.png
by
Help MonteCarloSS.com