CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1054470 - 11/17/17 07:24 PM Good speed shops in Orlando area  
flyingvee Offline
flyingvee  Offline

Orlando, FL
Hi everyone, been away for a while since my 86 SS has been parked in the garage the last two years. I was having some q-jet problems, took it to a shop some guy recommended called Pinto's so they could fix it, at least they said the guy worked on SS's before, long story short he took out the Q-Jet in favor of a Holley. When I got the car back it was knocking like nuts. He never swapped out the distributor. Ditto for no lock up in 4th gear, he said he wired it but he didn't. ON top ,of that, the engine had been built over the years and was running really strong, headers, cat-gutted, MSD ignition etc etc, and never leaked oil. About two weeks of driving it, I had less power and was burning a lot ore gas I found I was down 2 quarts of oil. Just have a suspicion that these guys ruined my engine.

Which is why I'm asking if anyone knows of a good speed shop in the Orlando area that can work on it. Most shops do ricers and programming. Or maybe something around central Florida. I first need to see if my engine is shot. If not I need someone to tune it. I knew how to do the Q-Jet and ECM distributor but not the Holley and vacuum distributor. Or if the engine is shot I might go for a 350 HO engine swap. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Andrew

#1054476 - 11/17/17 10:50 PM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
I'd start with having Pinto's complete the work they didn't finish. A bad running car isn't acceptable.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1054477 - 11/17/17 11:58 PM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Do you still have the original Qjet??

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#1054491 - 11/19/17 06:47 AM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
ChasUno Offline
ChasUno  Offline

Bradenton, FL
I agree with upflying, the shop that did the work needs to complete the job properly. Saying that, it sounds that they haven't a clue what they are doing, as swapping out the Q-Jet for a Holley and not changing the distributor as well it's no wonder the engine runs like a bag of nails. Without the TPS sensor of the Q-Jet, the ECM will never receive the signals to run correctly. And did Pintos put a TV cable bracket on the Holley? If not, the trans will run terribly as well. If your SES light is still working, I am almost certain that it is permanently on now. Maybe best you take it to someone who actually knows what they are doing...

As per Leo above - do you still have the Q-Jet? Your best bet might be to get it all back to standard, as the much misunderstood Q-Jet and CCC system is actually very good IF it's set up correctly and not messed around with by people who don't know what they are doing. Or if people start changing out one part of the system (i.e. slapping on a Holley) without changing everything else that is relevant. The CCC system is an all or nothing system, it won't run correctly if a major part such as the Q-Jet is missing.

I can recommend a company near me in Bradenton, though it's a fair distance from you in Orlanda (120 miles). I've used them a couple of times for very minor work on my car, but I have heard lots of good reports about them locally and among nearby classic car enthusiasts. The father of Eric, who mans the shop counter, has a G-Body Monte Carlo SS drag car (road legal), and it's often parked out front. They always have a good selection of classic cars out front too, showing that many of the local classic car enthusiasts choose H3 Automotive to take their cars to for work needed.

Here's their website:

https://www.h3auto.com/

Last edited by ChasUno; 11/19/17 06:52 AM.

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]
#1054501 - 11/20/17 03:02 AM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
Dalt10 Offline
20+ Year
Dalt10  Offline
20+ Year

Orlando,FL
Sent you a private message. Maybe I can help you out.

"Make the rules up as you go"
US Army 1977- 1981
101st Airborne 31st Field Artillary FT Campbell, KY
1/1 Cav 280th ORD Schwabach, Germany
#1054520 - 11/22/17 02:01 AM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
Buick Runner Offline
10+ Year
Buick Runner  Offline
10+ Year

Dharma station 1 the Hydra
The fact the shop suggested and performed an illegal carb swap, especially a halfbutt one indicates they had no idea what they are doing and should not have touched your car. Sadly these days most modern professionals are pretty clueless about working on old cars, especially pre obd2 efi. Generally with older machines, you have to teach yourself how to repair it yourself, as their is a small dying market for carb tuners these days, few new guys want to even bother to learn how carbs work. Surprised they didn't talk you into a halfbutt LS swap.

Last edited by Buick Runner; 11/22/17 04:54 AM.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
#1054532 - 11/23/17 12:53 PM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
axld Offline
axld  Offline

lakeland,fl
Carb swap, 1 wire HEI . BMI lock up kit. ( swap out to a better intake).unless you are trying to stay all original.

86 SS . Custom Paint. Built 6.0 with LS3 Top End .TSP Custom grind cam. FITECH ecu and harness.TKO 600 5 spd. Quick 9'' / 3.70 Gearing. ZQ8 Spindles. KORE3 12.8'' frt Brake Kit. UMI Rear Adjustable UCA. Rear LCA. UMI Front Chassis Bar. UMI rear shock tower brace. BMR Coil Springs. BMR Rear Sway Bar. N90 17'' Wheels . . SO FAR..............lol.
#1065451 - 03/15/20 12:54 PM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
flyingvee Offline
flyingvee  Offline

Orlando, FL
Sorry guys, have had the car sitting for all this time in the garage and couldn't log into here till today.

To recp, I still have the q-jet and it's 3701 Edelbrock intake still with me along with the distributor. THe Q-jet probably simply needed the tps swapped out and I would have been fine. How I let this guy talk me into that holly swap is beyond me, too late now. Plus with the car sitting so long I'm starting to see a slight oil leak on the floor after I start it up. Plus I still need to see if the engine was damaged from driving it home from the shop and it knocking the way it did. So once again, any good place in the Orlando area where someone can at least look at it and tell me where I stand? I dont' know how much other stuff this shop removed wiring wise. I had a msd ignition inline that he bypassed, would hope to find that wiring. I just might just have to sell it off, as the cost of restoring would be too great. Would sucj as I have had it since 86. Any thoughts.

Thanks

#1065458 - 03/15/20 04:22 PM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
Richie Cat Offline
10+ Year
Richie Cat  Offline
10+ Year

Lake Ronkonkoma, N.Y.
My advice
Get out of your nightmare.
You are not a car person. You really don't know what you are looking at.
Sell it and you can now have piece of mind when you sleep.

83 SC, 355 w/TPI
#1065476 - 03/16/20 01:09 AM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Drew, You have a PM!!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
#1065600 - 03/21/20 01:09 AM Re: Good speed shops in Orlando area [Re: flyingvee]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
Well, I PMed you serveral days ago about coming over to check your car out this Saturday(tomorrow) and got no response, I guess you don't need any help!!

Leo Paugh
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten

Random Images
500/thumbs/Monte_11-08_3_small.jpg
by nickg
760/thumbs/tn_monte_carlo_002.jpg
by bug
500/thumbs/oil1.jpg
by johnz138
500/thumbs/DCFN0037.JPG
by chevelle502