MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1049262 - 03/27/17 12:08 PM Oil Leak After Oil Change....  
longislandcamper Offline
longislandcamper  Offline

Port Jefferson Station, NY
So I've had the 85 Monte for just over a month now. About 3 weeks ago we did an oil/filter change. The car had not been started for about 4 years prior to the previous owner getting to ready to sell a few months ago. Knowing this, the very first thing we did was change the oil/filter since who knows when the last time that stuff was changed. We put in a fram filter and pennzoil 10w30. The oil filter was a huge PITA to get off. Very tough.

During the next few weeks of looking the car over we noticed some oil dripping from the drivers side valve cover. I really don't remember seeing it before the oil change but I'm not going to say that it DEFINITELY wasn't there.

The past few days I've noticed some oil on the ground which never happened before. This is a recent development. Even if the car only sits for an hour there will be a tiny oil spot left behind. When the car is running you can see some smoke, not a lot, coming up from around the drivers side spark plugs.

After I shut the engine off and take the air cleaner off, there will be a little bit of smoke coming from the carb if I open the choke.

I know the previous owner didn't clean up any oil leaks prior to selling it because there were some cobwebs all around that surely wouldn't have been there if they tried to hide to leak. I'm assuming that the leak was a result of the oil change.

The leak only seems to be from the drivers side valve cover and not the passenger side which seems to be a bigger PITA to work on. I'd eventually like to replace both valve covers but for now replacing the drivers side gasket should be a good enough fix. What type of gasket should I get? I've only only put about 60 miles on the car since the oil change but I do plan on doing another change in a week or two since I have no idea when the oil was changed prior to my purchase. I also might look into putting high mileage 10w30.

Last edited by longislandcamper; 03/27/17 12:11 PM.
#1049264 - 03/27/17 12:31 PM Re: Oil Leak After Oil Change.... [Re: longislandcamper]  
Jameson Offline
15+ Year
Jameson  Offline
15+ Year

Elizabeth City, NC
It's most likely since it sat for so long the cork gaskets of the valve covers have dried out from not running in so long.

When you shut the engine off and see light smoke in the carb is normal fyi.

1988 Monte Carlo SS Eaton 112 5.3/T56 swap, Way to many mods to list.
2015 GMC Sierra Denali

#1049270 - 03/27/17 04:33 PM Re: Oil Leak After Oil Change.... [Re: longislandcamper]  
LXXXIV SS Offline
LXXXIV SS  Offline

Lower Peninsula, Michigan
Before you remove the covers, beg, borrow, or steal a torque wrench that reads in "inch-pounds", and go around the valve cover an check that they are properly torqued. Someone here will let you know the correct torque setting. Only use a torque wrench because you do not want to over-tighten them.

#1049292 - 03/28/17 02:20 AM Re: Oil Leak After Oil Change.... [Re: longislandcamper]  
upflying Offline
20+ Year
upflying  Offline
20+ Year

Reno, NV
Don't forget to tap the valve cover bolt holes level with the surrounding tin. The holes usually deform from over tightening. Oil leaks also tend to begin when you put synthetic in the engine. Dino oil only for old school engines.

86 MCSS Notchback coupe, LS3, 4L65E, QP 9", Eaton Truetrac, 4 wheel disc, column shift, Dakota Digital, silver with maroon bench interior

#1049302 - 03/28/17 10:45 AM Re: Oil Leak After Oil Change.... [Re: upflying]  
LXXXIV SS Offline
LXXXIV SS  Offline

Lower Peninsula, Michigan
Originally Posted by upflying
Don't forget to tap the valve cover bolt holes level with the surrounding tin. The holes usually deform from over tightening. Oil leaks also tend to begin when you put synthetic in the engine. Dino oil only for old school engines.

+1 on that! I've learned the hard way over the years to never put synthetic in an older high mileage car.

#1049543 - 04/03/17 01:06 PM Re: Oil Leak After Oil Change.... [Re: longislandcamper]  
longislandcamper Offline
longislandcamper  Offline

Port Jefferson Station, NY
Luckily it's only the drivers side that appears to be leaking because the passenger side seems like a PITA to work on. I've had the car for about 6 weeks now and my initial oil change was about 5 weeks ago and that's when I noticed the leaking. I just used regular Pennzoil 10w30.

I've only put about 200 miles on the car since the oil change. Sometime at the end of the month I plan on putting a new cork gasket on the drivers side and attempt to clean up any leaked oil that's still there. After a week or so of driving I will do another oil change but this time refill with 10w30 high mileage.

#1049555 - 04/03/17 06:54 PM Re: Oil Leak After Oil Change.... [Re: longislandcamper]  
ChasUno Offline
ChasUno  Offline

Bradenton, FL
I would advise to not use cork gaskets. They compress and then don't seal well, especially if you intend to remove and refit the cover(s) and reuse the gaskets. Rubber gaskets are more flexible, and for my car they stopped all the leaks. Here's the set I bought:

http://www.autozone.com/external-engine/valve-cover-gasket/felpro-valve-cover-gasket/67136_0_11524

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]

Random Images
500/thumbs/twotone2.jpg
by MaverickMonte85
500/thumbs/IMG_2318s.jpg
by hitman85
500/thumbs/20150106_170100.jpg
by jaye
500/thumbs/Monte_Carlo2.jpg
by Chief Jimbo
523/thumbs/DSC_0635.jpg