MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

THE place for 4th Gen Monte Carlo SS info for over 24 years!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
Drove my monte and parked it about a week and ahalf ago. Then i left for work, Just got back home and now my car won't start at all.
Thought the Battery was maybe weak, so i tried jumping it with a friends vehicle, that didn't help. So i just went and bought a new battery, definitely sounds better when its attempting to start now at least lol.

Thought maybe it was low in gas but should have more then half a tank, so i dumped some more gas in, and even a bottle of this Gas line Anti freeze. Still no change.

Car just cranks and cranks and cranks, but won't catch and start. Doesn't sound like its even almost starting. Just crank and crank and that's it.

I am at a loss for what to check next. I have a very important appointment to get to in the morning, and i need this car to start, anyone have any idea's on what I can check?

The car has been parked on a minor incline in the drive way so not sure if that would have anything to do with it. Was thinking of rolling it down the driveway on to the flat road, but i can't see how that would affect anything hmm.

You could try isolating the possible cause by pouring a small amount of gas directly into the carburetor barrels (after removing the air cleaner), and then try cranking the engine. If there's no sign of any firing/ catching, it would almost certainly indicate an ignition problem rather that a fuel problem as you'd know for certain that there was fuel in the carb.

If the engine DOES start, it may run briefly, stall, then won't start again when you crank. This would indicate a fuel supply issue, maybe the fuel pump is fault?

It's very much a process of elimination, check fuel (as above), and then check for ignition. Keep checking each part of the ignition system and fuel system and soon you'll find the cause.

1986 Monte Carlo SS

[Linked Image]
10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
I tried pouring some gas into my Carb, no effect what so ever.
So i took the air cleaner assembly off the carb, and was poking and proding and wiggling this and that, not really to sure what i was doing lol but when i jumped back in to start it again, it almost wanted to fire up once, but then just went back to cranking and cranking.

Gonna try again in the morning.

Sounds like your ICM took a dump or your coil is shot.

Easy test is to see if you're getting spark.

Before i figured out to jiggle the choke I got it to start twice by holding the gas pedal down fully and cranking for about 20+ seconds. I also sprayed quite a bit of carb cleaner directly into the carb. Was tough to keep it running for first few minutes.

Check for spark, put a nail in the end of the cable and have someone crank it. If you can get a spark to jump to jump to the block or your hand you have spark.

Justin
1986 Black SS
Upgrades: 350 L05 - Hooker Longtubes - FlowMaster True Dual 2.5" - Electric Cutouts - Electric Fans - Transcooler - Proforged Steering Kit - Astro Shaft - AR62 OUTLAW II Wheels - Energy Suspension Bushings - Bitflipper Chip - 87 ECM - Moog Springs and Ball Joints - Bilstein Shocks - Bucket Seats
15+ Year
Online Content
15+ Year
To test a HEI ignition you need a special HEI spark tester. Failing HEI systems will give a false good reading with normal testing methods because of the system's higher energy over older ignition systems.

SBC powered 1987 Regal with TES headers, ZZ4 intake, ZZ4 PROM chip, mini starter, THM2004R, 2500 stall converter, 2040 cam, CCC system, and 3.73 posi rear.

2008 ex NPS P71 Crown Victoria, cop motor, cop shocks, cop brakes, and Jmod.

Never argue with an idiot.
They will just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
Well low and behold i towed it to my local garage, and 4 hours later, the car is running fine...

He said it was just flooded.. and the battery was completely dead.
which makes no Sense cause i just bought a brand new battery last night and put it in, and right before it was towed up onto the flat deck tow truck. I had on the key in the ignition, and the lights were still working and it was still cranking and cranking when i was messing with it an hour before i called the tow truck lol.

Yea i have no idea. if im being taken for a ride or if that's all that was wrong with it. I am still leaning towards the fact that it was parked on an incline for so long and that was some how preventing it from getting proper air/fuel mixture but i culd be out to lunch. either way thanks for the quick replies guy, that's a solid. its running for now.

I leave for work for another 2 weeks here tomorrow so i guess i will see if i have the same problem when i get back from work lol.
Sorry for making two threads. lol

C
15+ Year
15+ Year
C
Hi, not sure if it would matter, but, is the front of the car "up"on the incline, or is the rear up ?

10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
The Front of the Car is up.. and the back of the car is down on the incline...
I was thinking maybe gas wasn't getting forced UP the incline to the carb? if that makes sense.

What did you have in mind?

C
15+ Year
15+ Year
C
I know nothing compared to most on this board, but I "thought" if the front was down, and it was flooded, maybe some check valve, float ect failed and added to the problem, but, that's not the case,

10+ Year
OP Offline
10+ Year
Ya its weird cause i mentioned to the garage that i was toying with the carb and almost got it started.. and its parked on an incline and i think its a carb problem ect ect.. all he says battery was dead and it was flooded. Yea i dunno. Weird.. its been very warm here like +5 the last day or so, as opposed to the -30 it was the last 2 weeks. I am just glad i don't need to drive it that often in the winter.

G
G
Just my opinion:
:garage says it was flooded -maybe you flooded it with pouring gas into carb
:dead battery could mean that it was, lets say 10V, which would be too low to start engine( I hope the shop charged instead of replacing the battery)

I suspect there is still a problem. When was the last tune up? How old is the gas filter? Make sure the choke functions correctly because flooding can happen with multiple failed starts.
Let us know how it works out next time.

10+ Year
10+ Year
Originally Posted By: confusion101
Well low and behold i towed it to my local garage, and 4 hours later, the car is running fine...

He said it was just flooded.. and the battery was completely dead.
which makes no Sense cause i just bought a brand new battery last night and put it in, and right before it was towed up onto the flat deck tow truck. I had on the key in the ignition, and the lights were still working and it was still cranking and cranking when i was messing with it an hour before i called the tow truck lol.

Yea i have no idea. if im being taken for a ride or if that's all that was wrong with it. I am still leaning towards the fact that it was parked on an incline for so long and that was some how preventing it from getting proper air/fuel mixture but

I got bad taste in my mouth. Brand new battery, like a day old and it's dead? It doesn't take 4 hours to clear a flooded engine. Pull the plugs, spin it over and install new plugs and make sure you have spark.
If your timing chain had jumped that's a whole different ball game but it didn't because it runs.
You parking on an incline has no bearing on the A/F ratio. If the fuel pump is good it would deliver fuel to the carb, just like you driving up a hill.

83 SC, 355 w/TPI
15+ Year
15+ Year
I realize you now have it running but reading this made me think of in the past if I had problems starting I did the following.
Remember this, if you have compression, fuel and spark this is what you really need in order to run (not always run well but it will run or attempt to run if you have these).
I always, pull a plug and plug it back in, lay it on a metal part of the motor for a ground and crank it over. It should be bright blue not orange or yellow.
If the spark is good I usually put my finger over the plug hole and crank it (watch out you are far away from the plug wire!) it should push your finger off if it has good compression.
If this is okay, spray a little starting fluid or better yet fill up the float bowl through the carb vent let it set a few and pump the accelerator listening and feeling for the accelerator pump to squirt fuel into the intake.
Put the plug in and you now know you have everything needed to start. If it doesn't start, make a mark (or line up a portion of the distributor base with something) loosen the distributor and move it one way or the other' if it blows out the carb you may want to make sure you are in the ballpark with ignition timing. Do this by pulling number 1 plug out (front right looking at front of motor) put your finger over the hole and crank it till you feel it trying to push your finger off from the compression, take a flashlight and look into the hole (this isn't really all that important but it helps you understand where the piston is) you should see the top of the piston. Look at the timing marks and make sure the pointer is a Top Dead Center (TDC) now trace the number 1 plug wire back to the distributor (I usually pull it off so I know which one it is) now remove the distributor cap and make sure the rotor is pointing to the number 1 wire in the distributor.
I have seen them 180 degrees off, etc. turn the distributor till the rotor line up with the No 1 wire, slightly snug the distributor up, replace the cap, plug and wire and it should start!
Try this and I am sure it will run, readjust the timing and you should be good to go.
Here is a little trick I learned years ago if I didn't have a timing light (in fact I use it instead of a light) when it is running take it out (after warming it up) and floor it, if it doesn't ping, advance it slightly, keep doing this till it pings then back it off a little bit. Of course if it pings from the start, retard it and do the same thing.
It might sound crude but it works, if you have any questions just ask.
-Phil

PS: As you can see, my posts are very short.

1987 Monte Carlo SS, '78 406, Speed Density TPI, Herbert Hyd Roller Cam, Trick-Flow "Twisted Wedge" 1st gen alum. heads, 11.0:1 compression, Sealed-Power pistons w/gapless rings, Mallory CD ignition, 30 lb Accel injectors, Edelbrock headers, Bosch external fuel pump, 36 lb Centerforce flywheel, 1993 T-56 6-speed,Hurst shifter and stock 3:73 Posi.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 102 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mavbeacon, rjanders, ThatBlue84SS, Socortes, jessenb
16,025 Registered Users
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
88ssBrent
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors