Next Thread
Print Thread
#1042067 - 08/03/16 10:21 PM D154 Calipers  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
I see lots of aluminum oversized metric D154 calipers, are these direct bolt in for our cars?

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
#1042069 - 08/04/16 03:48 AM Re: D154 Calipers [Re: Travis Jones]  
malibudave78 Offline
10+ Year
malibudave78  Offline
10+ Year

Houston, TX
There are no aluminum, oversized, metric calipers, but there are dual piston, aluminum metric calipers that will bolt in. Even thought the calipers have multiple pistons and spread the piston contact area over the length of the brake pad, the total piston area is less than a stock 2.5" diameter metric caliper which means less clamping force with the same master cylinder.

I am not sure what you want to do with your brakes, but if your stock calipers are working fine, then the next best upgrade will be brake pads suited to the driving you are doing.

If you are set on the aluminum calipers, it is best to go with the Wilwood single 2.5" diameter caliper over the Wilwood twin piston bolt in calipers because the single has more piston area which equals MORE clamping force. You will notice a reduction in braking performance with the twin piston Wilwood bolt in calipers.

If you want a replacement caliper, AFCO has NEW stock replacement calipers. All of the other stock replacement calipers that you will find are rebuilt units.

The only caliper upgrade that would be increase braking performance is the Wilwood 2.75" diameter piston caliper. These are pretty nice calipers and are lighter than the stock calipers and just as, or more rigid than a stock calipers. AFCO has a 2.75" diameter piston caliper also, but I have never used it, so I cannot comment on them. The Wilwood and the AFCO are the only true 2.75" diameter piston calipers that I have experience with. I have used the CPP Big Bore calipers, but the piston diameter was smaller than the advertised 2.75" diameter (around 2.57"diameter). Depending on the master cylinder you are using, you may need to change to a master cylinder with a larger bore size to supply the additional volume of fluid needed for the larger calipers.

#1042077 - 08/04/16 01:21 PM Re: D154 Calipers [Re: Travis Jones]  
Travis Jones Offline
10+ Year
Travis Jones  Offline
10+ Year

Ferndale, MI
Thanks for the info!

Yeah, actually doing the math and looking at the piston area + pad area on a lot of 6 piston kits shows they dont have as much force as a single piston oversized caliper. Lots of snake oil salesmen out there i would assume.

86 SS 6.2l LS3, Ilmor intake, Summit Stage 4 Cam, Stainless long tube headers, Stainless 3in exhaust, Tremec T-56 Magnum 6 speed, Eaton Truetrac 8.8 LSD, UMI Cornermax Front Suspension, 3-link Rear suspension w/ UMI Control Arms, UMI Front & Rear Braces, Brembo Brakes
#1042083 - 08/04/16 01:47 PM Re: D154 Calipers [Re: Travis Jones]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
I've been preaching that song for years to those making fun of the Miata brakes I run on my car...

My brake pedal travel did increase significantly with my upgrade to the 2.75" calipers but it didn't take too long to get used to.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#1042090 - 08/04/16 09:08 PM Re: D154 Calipers [Re: Travis Jones]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
I wouldn't call them "snake oil salemen", just companies trying to compete in a market where sometimes pretty and upgrading aren't used in the same paragraph.

The name of the game is to put together a brake package that does what you want it to do and fits your desired end result.

My take on brake upgrades is if it's only about having red calipers, sometimes a can of paint will do. If it's about repetitive hard braking over an extended period of time then you need to spend cash on all four corners, usually lots of cash. Most people fall into the need to do something to fix the lousy stock brakes category.

For what you would spend for the D154 caliper I would just install better pads, make sure the rotors and rest of the system is up to par and save up for a bigger brake package up front. Several front options available today, not to expensive to very expensive.

Many moons ago did the B spindle swap, drove it for 10 years before better, reasonable packages came along. Kinda stuck with that B swap until 5K falls from the sky, wheels/tires, spindles brakes, adds up quickly. But can say adding the brakes system engineered for a 4400 lb car into a 3500 lb sure slowed things down a tad quicker.

Recently freshened up the 17 year old 12" setup, replaced everything, 1LE slotted rotors, Wilwood D52 calipers, HP pads, can't be happier, other than the pads dust a little more than I care for.
The Wilwood D52 calipers have twin 2" pistons, only 3% smaller than the stock cast iron B caliper at 2 7/8" bore. For me it was the unsprung weight saving at each corner, almost 6 lb each corner. Surprisingly 2 1/2 of that was in the rotor mass.

There's another active post about rear disc, later on that topic.

Don't spend money for a compromise, spend money for an upgrade.
Bob

#1042091 - 08/04/16 09:46 PM Re: D154 Calipers [Re: Travis Jones]  
MC96 Offline
MC96  Offline

St. Johns MI
I wonder what the D52 (caprice etc) bore is? In addition its a bigger rotor so there is more "leverage" when clamping on the rotor.
You gained a bit more of the same advantage with the dual piston, as that moves the piston(s) area out even further on the rotor.

I know Ive said this before, but I think with some adjustable steering parts you can get rid of the bump steer issues caused by the b body swap, Ill let somebody else do the greasy work!

86 SS
400SBC, 4l80e, MSD Atomic injection/trans controller, Tilt glass clip, all tubular arms, corvette brakes, 9" rear
In progress
#1042092 - 08/05/16 01:18 AM Re: D154 Calipers [Re: Travis Jones]  
tomh115 Offline
tomh115  Offline

Russellville, AR
My 2 cents: sometimes it's not about the size of the piston but of the overall clamping capacity. 6 pistons will clamp a larger section of the disc (not surface area, but overall circumference). The area between the pistons will also have some residual compression forces as well. Not snake oil. All that said I'm running stock parts but considering the corvette upgrade when I play with the suspension and spindles.

[Linked Image]
1987 Monte Carlo SS Aerocoupe
Objects in mirror are losing
https://www.flickr.com/gp/34317731@N08/3xk4xk
#1042103 - 08/05/16 05:16 AM Re: D154 Calipers [Re: Travis Jones]  
mmc427ss Online content
20+ Year
mmc427ss  Online Content
20+ Year

Pottstown, Pa
The stock B caliber that uses the D52 pad has a 2 15/16" piston, 6.77 area, the new Wilwood D52 caliper is 6.28, 6% smaller. Previous post stated 3% smaller, was using 2 7/8" bore, should have been 2 15/16", me bad.

Agreed, a twin piston can apply the force more evenly over the pad than a single, less pad deflection at the outer edges, should make up for the loss of piston area.

Several years ago got tired of the excessive bumpsteer using the B spindle. Using a laser pointer plotted the bump curve from full compression to full droop. Modified a new stock centerlink by lowering the inner tie rod location and achieved about a 60% improvement in droop bump. So outrageous bump went to tolerable bump in droop with only a small negative change at full compression.
Bob

Random Images
500/thumbs/DSC02786.JPG
by Joe87monteSS
500/thumbs/Blown400starter.jpg
by MY FYN 79
500/thumbs/moto_0058.jpg
by dw329
500/thumbs/NewRotorsCaliper.JPG
by 1NJIMID8TOR
500/thumbs/Mighty13w7.jpg
by bumpn1ohm