CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1040738 - 06/25/16 12:42 AM G body steering shaft upgrade Astro question  
WESTWOODSS Offline
WESTWOODSS  Offline

WESTWOOD MA
I ordered the Astro chef oh my G body my 85 SS, I'm wondering if there is a link to a video or illustrated pictures on how to install the shaft

#1040740 - 06/25/16 01:09 AM Re: G body steering shaft upgrade Astro question [Re: WESTWOODSS]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
I've never seen a video for installation of the Astro shaft but it installs just like the stock shaft with two exceptions. The shaft I bought was modified, by a member on this forum, to have a small screw to tighten any slop in the shaft sliding mechanism. Slide the steering box end of the shaft onto the steering box stub. Loosen the small/tiny screw in the shaft (if it has one) and extend the shaft. Slide the shaft onto the steering column, you might have to spread the clam shell to get it to engage the steering column. Slide the clam shell as far as it will go, you should get at least an inch of engagement. Take a small marker and stick it in the bolt hole and mark the location of the bolt hole onto the steering column shaft. Remove the astro shaft. Looking at the mark on the steering column shaft, use a round file or half round file and make a half moon groove in the steering column shaft to allow clearance for the screw. Clean up all shavings. Reinstall the astro shaft, install and tighten the screw to secure the steering box end and slide the clam shell onto the steering column and install the screw and tighten. Use some locktite on the screw. Tighten the small/tiny screw (if installed) in the astro shaft.

Last edited by Fred SS; 06/25/16 01:14 AM.

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9.
#1040763 - 06/25/16 12:35 PM Re: G body steering shaft upgrade Astro question [Re: WESTWOODSS]  
WESTWOODSS Offline
WESTWOODSS  Offline

WESTWOOD MA
Great thank you!!!!

#1040796 - 06/26/16 12:59 PM Re: G body steering shaft upgrade Astro question [Re: WESTWOODSS]  
WESTWOODSS Offline
WESTWOODSS  Offline

WESTWOOD MA
I installed my astro shaft yesterday.
After some swearing etc. Also had to replace my steering hose.
The steering wheel is a little off. Ken said he clocked the shaft at 90 so it is not that. Someone told me to get the car aligned and they will straiten it out. It does drift to the right some so I was going to anyway.
I will say that is a HUGE improvement in handling!

Random Images
500/thumbs/dual_a1.jpg
by Tony K.
933/thumbs/On_the_Trailer4.JPG
by Sherdep
835/thumbs/DSCF00251.JPG
by timw
500/thumbs/sig2.jpg
by 1984Monte
651/thumbs/C6.JPG
by 84supersport
Help MonteCarloSS.com