MonteCarloSS.com
MonteCarloSS.com

CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#96590 - 05/09/06 02:35 PM so ive been doing some contemplating..  
realsurfer88 Offline
realsurfer88  Offline

Tallahassee
ive been going over in my mind how i want to go with the ss. Ive realized that i want to do a beige or black interior conversion, and remove the striping on the sides and the badging and paint two thick racing stripes that go from the narrower part of the nose next to the emblem, on either side, and go straight back slowly thickening until it gets to the correct width for the trunk. I want to paint it a gm color, im not sure what it is called my father had a 2001 camaro painted this color. its a tealish green with a hint of purple. its like a mild cameleon color. But the major part of the car ive been thinking about is drift competition. has anyone built an ss for drift comps? i know it needs high hp and GREAT suspension but i thought it would be neat to do a sort of one of a kind drift comp ss. i want to do a gn swap so the hp would be there, i just would like to see what you guys have to think about it im still in the planning stages, any help would be great and maybe some photoshop renderings would be helpful. im working on one at the moment to try and show how i plan the exterior. thanks guys
maxwell

Super....scr3wduh at the moment..gah
#96591 - 05/09/06 02:46 PM Re: so ive been doing some contemplating..  
realsurfer88 Offline
realsurfer88  Offline

Tallahassee
thats the color but its not the greatest picture. the website i got that from said it was a blue green pearl

#96592 - 05/09/06 03:09 PM Re: so ive been doing some contemplating..  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
There is a guy registered here (although I dont believe he posts anymore) whom has an El Camino that he drifts. Thats the only G-body that I have ever seen do that.

A GN swap would be cool for the "wow factor" but thats about it IMO. Maybe there might be a slight advantage in the weight distribution department. There are much cheaper/easier ways to make the power of a GN however.

#96593 - 05/09/06 04:04 PM Re: so ive been doing some contemplating..  
realsurfer88 Offline
realsurfer88  Offline

Tallahassee
how is the price ratio between building a v8 up for high power to building up a gn motor? im just trying to get a baseline. el camino drift sounds like a good idea a 231 v6 non turbo could light up tires around a curve in that puppy haha
maxwell

#96594 - 05/09/06 07:24 PM Re: so ive been doing some contemplating..  
SickSpeedMonte Offline
15+ Year
SickSpeedMonte  Offline
15+ Year

MD
i honestly dont know what the price ratio is. I would think the big price problem would be the initial cost of the GN motor. They are stupid easy to make fast... like I think you can buy a down pipe, chip, and intake and get them into the 12's, but the initial cost of the engine and turbo would get you.

#96595 - 05/09/06 07:34 PM Re: so ive been doing some contemplating..  
realsurfer88 Offline
realsurfer88  Offline

Tallahassee
ive been looking around for a gn motor online and im having a hard time locating anything about the gn motor itself. i was curious though if the regular v6 buick 231 is the same build and clearances etc as the turbo motor? when i had my old turbo volvo i added a home made boost controller and ran 17 psi for under 10$..hah...i do miss the boost like crazy but the v8 is fun too. i guess money is my enemy at the moment...maybe a stroked 305 even though that is expensive too but it would be fun to drift against some ricers,vipers etc with a 305...

#96596 - 05/09/06 07:53 PM Re: so ive been doing some contemplating..  
SmokinSuperSport Offline
SmokinSuperSport  Offline

The North Shore, Suffolk, L.I....
Yes the blocks and rotating assembly are different. The GN built stronger to handle the stresses of boost. A GN drivetrain wouldn't be good for drifting even though they make alot of power in a little package. Drifting you don't have a constant flow of air hitting the front on the car (always sideways or doing donuts in freestyle) So with a GN motor constantly getting tacked up without a good flow of air into the intercooler and the radiator it will overheat and probably eat the turbo if not the motor first. I could also see the constant coming off and on of boost being damaging.
For drifting a nice destroked 350 would be great becasue you can tack it real high and not have to worry if you build a strong motor. Also a manual tranny like a t-5 or t56 would be best for drfting.

86 Monte SS- Black/Grey (Factory Defect Black)-155k-Full Poly-Graphite Front End Kit, Eibach ProKit Drop Springs, Bilsteins, No Emissions, Open Element, Gutted Cat and Borlas.
Oh You Drive A Mustang, My Car Loves Horse Meat!
88 Pontiac Trans Am GTA- White/ Grey Interior L98 350 worked 700r4 120k Austrialian 9 bolt rear, 3" Flowmaster exhaust

Random Images
500/thumbs/TOMS_SHOW_CAR_85_MCSS_engine_2.jpg
by 84casper ss
500/thumbs/2011_09200009_the_Boss.jpg
by 06mcss
500/thumbs/montewis.jpg
by fanta
500/thumbs/mcsusp.jpg
by javi05
500/thumbs/monte_ss_007_640x480_.jpg
by luke84monte
Help MonteCarloSS.com