Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#989881 - 12/08/13 12:32 PM Largest battery that fit  
Eric'sMonteSS Offline
Eric'sMonteSS  Offline

Abington,ma
the factory spot.. anything bigger than a group 75 fit.. without hacking..
thanks..

#989887 - 12/08/13 03:16 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
It's a really tight spot, why do you think you need a bigger battery?

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#989899 - 12/08/13 05:58 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: 86ttop]  
foggerSS87 Offline
foggerSS87  Offline

chicago Illinois
group 78

87ss. lq4, d1sc procharger, 4l80e 3600stall, 9" 3.70 gear
#989916 - 12/08/13 09:58 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
mikezss Offline
mikezss  Offline

Marion,SC
autozone duralast gold had 2 to last over 8 years each

#989945 - 12/09/13 03:21 AM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
86ttop Offline
20+ Year
86ttop  Offline
20+ Year

Brooksville, Fl
A 78 might not fit in the battery box.

Leo Paugh
It's not an attitude, it's just the way I am.
POW*MIA
You are not forgotten
If things improve with age, I must be approaching magnificent. thumbs
#989960 - 12/09/13 02:57 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
Bad86SS Offline
Bad86SS  Offline

Kentucky
I had a 78 before and it fit perfect

#989973 - 12/09/13 05:35 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
tall t-top Offline
tall t-top  Offline

San Antonio, Texas
a 34 fit my tray no mods

Andrew

86 MC SS t-top, 305 with port and polish, Edlebrock Performer Intake, Flowtech Afterburner headers, duals to Jeg's chambered mufflers, Jeep steering shaft, Turbo Eclipse seats (Weekend toy but a project at the moment)
91 C1500 extended cab, TBI 350, 2in suspension lift, Jeep steering shaft. (Daily driver)
2012 Mitsu Outlander Sport (wife's car)
#990101 - 12/11/13 03:07 AM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
Eric'sMonteSS Offline
Eric'sMonteSS  Offline

Abington,ma
thanks guys, I asked because I have my SS and my 71 c-10 that are being worked on.. well, the c-10 first and the SS after.. and both need batteries, having one that fit both so I can start and move as needed is the idea.. as buying 2 batteries is out at the moment.. and the truck will be the first one, back in use.. and the bigger the battery the better as I like my music and even without that the extra capacity is always a good thing..

Last edited by Eric'sMonteSS; 12/11/13 03:14 AM. Reason: typo's
#990151 - 12/11/13 10:51 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
78 group Optima Red Top all the way!

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#990173 - 12/12/13 03:49 AM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
Eric'sMonteSS Offline
Eric'sMonteSS  Offline

Abington,ma
sorry will not touch an optima.. after working in a parts store and the amount of returns under warranty

#990191 - 12/12/13 02:10 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
Eric'sMonteSS Offline
Eric'sMonteSS  Offline

Abington,ma
I found this on my audio/v forum and maybe it help others besides me..
advanced autoparts online battery order/store pickup(must order online and pick up in store)
promo.. 40 bucks off any battery over 100.oo

code is TRT41

NOTE YOU MUST REGISTER AN ACCOUNT.. (SET UP AN ONLINE ACCOUNT, REQUIRING BASIC INFO AND AN EMAIL ADDRESS..(no c/c info used) LIKE A FORUM.. ) I've has an online account for a few years and they don't spam you to death with emails.. or use a tepm email if you are so inclined..
if it helps someone fine.. if not.. at least it helped me smile

thanks for the info on the sizes.. big help..

Last edited by Eric'sMonteSS; 12/12/13 02:11 PM.
#990208 - 12/12/13 05:39 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
There's nothing wrong with Optima batteries. I too worked in a parts store andt the vast majority of battery returns were caused by circumstances other than the battery. For example....bigtime beats being supported by a stock 63 amp alternator and thinking an Optima battery will keep up....only to run it down time after time.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#990218 - 12/12/13 06:57 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
84 ZZ4 Offline
10+ Year
84 ZZ4  Offline
10+ Year

San Antonio, TX
I killed a 1 yr old Optima by having it sit around in the car too long.
I have another one that is now over 9 years old, and running strong in my pickup.

I replaced the dead Optima with a DieHard platinum (gel also) and it manages the long inactive periods.

[Linked Image]
#990219 - 12/12/13 07:07 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
SSLance Offline
10+ Year
SSLance  Offline
10+ Year

Peoria, AZ
Was Optima Jim ever a member on this board? I know I remember him signing up for a couple of boards that I frequent.

In his threads the reason for the death of so many Optima batteries was clearly explained as were the tips and tricks to keep that from happening.

I've got an Optima red top in my car that is 3 years old now and just keeps on cranking. I was able to get my car out of the garage about once a month during the whole last winter and never even had to put a charger on the battery.

Trick is, you can't let them run down below 10 volts...and if you do, there is a trick to get them charged back up again with a regular car battery charger. A lot of people don't do either and just blame the battery itself.

Lance
1985 Monte Carlo SS Street Car
#990221 - 12/12/13 07:22 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
PB86SS/87LS Offline
Administrator
20+ Year
PB86SS/87LS  Offline
Administrator
20+ Year

New Berlin, WI
"Optima Jim" or Jim McIlvaine, former Marquette Warrior beer, was or is a member. I remember a thread which he replied and I sent him a PM too, at the time I was about to buy a battery tender for my Optima's.

-86'SS 383 CCC QJet- BRF 2004r-8.5" 3.42
-87'LS 350 MAF/SD TPI- CRF 2004r-7.5" 3.42
-81'Grand LeMans Safari Wagon 350 CCC Q-Jet/CZF 2004-r/8.5" 3.73
-07'TBSS Stockish daily driver
[Linked Image]
#990225 - 12/12/13 08:26 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: SSLance]  
Eric'sMonteSS Offline
Eric'sMonteSS  Offline

Abington,ma
Originally Posted By: SSLance
Was Optima Jim ever a member on this board? I know I remember him signing up for a couple of boards that I frequent.

In his threads the reason for the death of so many Optima batteries was clearly explained as were the tips and tricks to keep that from happening.

I've got an Optima red top in my car that is 3 years old now and just keeps on cranking. I was able to get my car out of the garage about once a month during the whole last winter and never even had to put a charger on the battery.

Trick is, you can't let them run down below 10 volts...and if you do, there is a trick to get them charged back up again with a regular car battery charger. A lot of people don't do either and just blame the battery itself.

not fer nothing, but a battery getting lower than 10 volts, isn't an odd thing.. and maybe optima, should have that info listed on the battery, just say'n.. KNOWNFACT if you run it down then start the vehicle and let the cars own system recharge it, it charges to fast and kills it.(these batterys will draw every amp the system can give it.. and why they now sell an insainly priced battery tender) this is nothing new.. thanks I'll pass on them.. seen tomany come back in cars with 100+ amp alts.
and no "beats" as one poster put it.. having a vehicles charging system kill them. just because it dropped to 10 volts. by the time the engine caught.. isn't a selling point.

Last edited by Eric'sMonteSS; 12/12/13 08:28 PM.
#990230 - 12/12/13 09:31 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
Well I would agree a lot of that makes sense. For me, its a given to disconnect any battery if the vehicle sits for a good length of time. And, I've always used Optimas and never had an issue with one. Heck, my mom has one in her 99 Blazer and that RedTop is going on 10 years now with no issues. I've spent a lot of time working with electrical systems and modifying charging systems over the years, and I guess I just don't see how they are by the description somehow an inferior design. For example, a lot of people claim (and most uninformed parts store employees) that a GOLD series you-name-it brand has more cranking power so its the best, right? Well, I might buy that argument IF the battery was physically larger but they are not-a group 75 cheap, silver or gold series battery are the same size....the only difference is the weight. What gives? Well, additional lead plates gives more charging surface area so that is where the capacity increase comes from. Well, if there are more plates, then the gap between them gets ever smaller. This can become a problem in cold climates where they can expand, also they are less likely to take shocks or being jostled before a charge plate arcs to another one. And any car guy should know you can't fast charge any dry cell battery. And yes, I've also brought a few back from the dead also.

A Johnson Controls rep (who manufactures most of the world's basic batteries) informed me as far as lead batteries go, a "silver" series battery is the best choice all around for a battery-not a Gold version of whoever-but, parts stores sure like the sales of them though. I'll go out out on a limb here...I don't buy the Optima myth....lol let the rants begin.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#990231 - 12/12/13 09:40 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
I will only add if indeed the Optima issue relates to whether it kills itself after having to charge after dropping to 10V or less, then the only issue I see is an issue of neglect....."letting" a vehicle sit draining the battery or an inadequate charging system or a total charging system where the vehicles charging capacity isn't high enough to maintain the "trickle charge" on the dry cell battery all qualify. I only chose a dry cell battery way back when because it handled extreme cold weather starting far better than a lead plate battery as far as my experience shows. Aside from that, do they require some occasional monitoring? Maybe, but then again it comes down to maintennance and that is the opposite of neglect. So I still don't buy the myth. Lets see some examples of clearly bad Optima batteries free of neglect issues.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#990232 - 12/12/13 10:00 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
http://www.nastyz28.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-241279.html

After reading this upon my research, I have to admit I would not suggest an Optima since they are not US manufactured. I hate when US companies get bought out and they go overseas to exploit cheap local labor-quality control exponetionally drop as a result. Damn.....I was not aware of that-my current Optimas are still US made.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#990261 - 12/13/13 06:17 AM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
Eric'sMonteSS Offline
Eric'sMonteSS  Offline

Abington,ma
if people have good luck with them, good for them. the battery that died in monte was from the factory.(and I'll save this) the truck one was from 2003, neither owed me anything..

#990284 - 12/13/13 09:04 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
It just irritates me....I'm not going to go political here on it but I do everything I can to NOT buy non US made products where performance is concerned.....heck, I even read my fruit labels for US grown produce.....sad but that's what it has come to-self education and awareness.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
#990342 - 12/14/13 05:53 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: gmachinz]  
Ole Blue Offline
Ole Blue  Offline

Lugoff, SC
Originally Posted By: gmachinz
It just irritates me....I'm not going to go political here on it but I do everything I can to NOT buy non US made products where performance is concerned.....heck, I even read my fruit labels for US grown produce.....sad but that's what it has come to-self education and awareness.
Congrats! We neeed more of this in this country to help us all prosper, or sadly to say just to get by. I don't do it just for performance items but try to do it for everything I can. By reading your post I'm sure you do too.
I know this is off topic, but I just had to reply.

#990351 - 12/14/13 07:11 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
PhilnDad Offline
10+ Year
PhilnDad  Offline
10+ Year

Avon, OH
The Optima Battery on my trailer that runs the winch is over 10 years old. That being said if you don't like Optima products, Oddissy just came out with an AGM battery. I haven't tried it but I've used there race batteries and I'm very impressed with them.

#990521 - 12/16/13 08:36 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
OptimaJim Offline
OptimaJim  Offline

Racine, Wisconsin
Hey guys, I am a member here. I usually don't post anywhere unless I'm needed for something battery-specific though. Eric, gmachinz is absolutely right about the real cause of many issues attributed to batteries. If you like your music, you should really make sure your alternator and wiring are not the weak links in your electrical chain. If you do make a habit of deeply-discharging your battery while listening to music, you should fully-recharge it with a battery charger and not rely on your alternator to do that. I would also suggest a battery designed for deep-cycle use in an application like that (not our RedTop).

Using an alternator to recover a deeply-discharged battery typically doesn't result in the battery ever reaching a full-state of charge, but rather a cycle of dead batteries and jump-starts, until either the battery or alternator fails. Discharging a battery below 10 volts is definitely not considered normal use and definitely not a situation where anyone should use an alternator in an attempt to recover the battery. That's not the purpose of an alternator.

Many of the “bad” batteries returned to us now are just deeply-discharged and work fine, when properly-recharged. The parallel charging technique SSLance described is also explained in this YouTube video. We get so many “discharge-only” returns from some of our retail partners, that we are now the title sponsor of the ChumpCar World Series and have outfitted entire fields of race cars with someone else's “dead” Optima batteries.

gmachinz, I will post the same thing here that I did on NastyZ28.com- human hands rarely touch our batteries until they are assembled. If someone wants to draw a patriotic line in the sand at (and oftentimes around) their car battery or criticize us or our products, because we have a global presence rather than only in the USA, they are certainly welcome to do so. We choose to focus on product performance, application issues and service based on fact, not opinion. While Optima was not always owned by a US-based corporation, it is now and has been since Johnson Controls acquired the brand in 2000.

The reality is that most large, successful consumer product manufacturers either contain internationally-sourced components or have international manufacturing capability. This is vital for Optima because we distribute a significant volume of batteries outside the USA. The decision to place a manufacturing facility in a certain location is based on many factors. For automotive batteries, component and product distribution plays a much larger role in total cost than labor.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

#990526 - 12/16/13 09:14 PM Re: Largest battery that fit [Re: Eric'sMonteSS]  
gmachinz Offline
10+ Year
gmachinz  Offline
10+ Year

Des Moines, Iowa
Jim, I don't doubt your evaluations of the most common reasons for battery failure ultimately fall into the category of end customer mis-use and the fact that bad news travels faster than good.

I would take exception however to the claim about global components playing a major part in distribution. I know it all boils down to the exploitation of local labor be it in Indonesia (Nike) or China (damn near everything) and the cost of living allows for manufacturers to make a huge profit by controlling their total labor cost. Material cost is less significant than labor as evidenced by the large number of US companies moving outside the US. I wasn't aware their is a large market in the automotive industry in China for manufacturing Optima batteries there. Maybe its the same reason Indonesia has a huge shoe buying populace....but I think not.
At any rate, yes I support US produced parts because I'd rather support a nation of manufacturers-not just consumers. I still think Optima batteries are given a bad rap as with most performance batteries. But, just like the quality of Alpine has gone downhill since going to China, we'll see how well Optima holds up.

gbodyparts1234@yahoo.com

HARNESSWORX
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Random Images
500/thumbs/Lamp_Bulb_Data.jpg
by Ole Blue
500/thumbs/Photo0183.jpg
by 1BadMonte
500/thumbs/IMG_1234_small.jpg
by mattvintage69
500/thumbs/justwashedfront.jpg
by amendez86