Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#968265 - 04/10/13 01:47 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
406monte Offline
10+ Year
406monte  Offline
10+ Year

Hubert, NC
Sorry to hear that the second set didn't fare any better. Snap some pics and maybe a sound bite of the new exhaust.

84 Monte Carlo SC 406 SBC
78 Monte Carlo 305 sbc SOLD
78 Monte Carlo Landua 350 sbc SOLD
81 Malibu Classic 350 sbc SOLD
84 Monte Carlo LS 350 sbc SOLD
84 Buick Regal 229 v6 SOLD

#968266 - 04/10/13 02:51 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Clutch_Grabwell Offline
15+ Year
Clutch_Grabwell  Offline
15+ Year

Millbury, MA
Using their Street Pro mufflers, Pypes' 'quietest' set. The GN tail pipes would probably be easier to fit but that's just so un-SS.
No pics either. I got the pipes half-assed under the car on Friday and haven't seen it since. I need either access to a lift or some professional help (particularly on the hangers) to finish this. Not really looking forward to jacking it up on stands and crawling underneath again.

1986 MCSS, T-tops, TPI 350, T56, 8.5" 3.42:1 Posi, cruise, A/C, ZQ8 brakes
All power: Windows, locks, mirrors, 8-way GTO seats
Concert Sound II, seven speakers, two amps
As seen in Hemmings Muscle Machines Aug. 2010
[Linked Image]
http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/2010/08/01/hmn_feature6.html
#968306 - 04/10/13 10:49 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Aeroaddict Offline
15+ Year
Aeroaddict  Offline
15+ Year

Fairfield County ,CT
Sounds like you just need the passenger tailpipe, other companies make aftermarket monte pipes, I had a set of Dynomax tailpipes that fit fine.

87 Monte SS Aerocoupe- Street / Strip

www.ctgbody.com

CT G-body Facebook
#968308 - 04/10/13 10:53 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Onebadbowtie86 Offline
10+ Year
Onebadbowtie86  Offline
10+ Year

Traverse City Michigan
Cant the exhaust shop bend the pipe down where its bent to far instead of cutting/welding?

'86 Monte carlo ss-Frame off resto-mod.
Ls2/t56/8.5"
#968351 - 04/11/13 10:14 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Joe b. Offline
Joe b.  Offline

west haven ct.
Finally got mine to not hit the tires, but am unhappy with the fit. I give up i have tried to adjust it 5 different times.time to bring it to a professional.The problem is finding one in this area.

custom paint 383 stroker 450hp 700r4 trans posi rear
#968448 - 04/12/13 01:56 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Ninja85SS Offline
10+ Year
Ninja85SS  Offline
10+ Year

California, MD
Do you still have your cat(s)?

Problem I had was they wouldn't touch mine beacuse I took cats off and wasn't legal.

1985 Monte Carlo SS 383MT Forced Induction
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2228046
2004 Dale Earnhardt Jr. Supercharged Monte Carlo SS
#968451 - 04/12/13 02:14 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Sixtoes1313 Offline
Sixtoes1313  Offline

Abingdon, Maryland
I got mine on after alot of trial and error and still wasn't happy with the fit. Between the lack of a good rear hanger for the end of the pipe (being and LS I didn't even have SS provisions ) and my apparently wrong mufflers ( offset offset) I had a heck of a time getting it to fit right. I eventually got it, but was so annoyed with working around the pipe while doing my suspension upgrades I cut the tails off and welded on dumps. I'm using hooker aerochambers as I love the sound and flow, but they just dont seem to fit well with the kit. What offset muffler are you supposed to use with the kit? (as in what do they give you when you buy it complete?) I think I'm going to remove the exhaust completely/ strip all the hangers I welded on ect and try again. This time I wanna install flanges after the mufflers so I can easily remove the tail pipes when I need to. Orrrr just pay a known good local shop to do what I just said for a few hundred dollars. But then I'll feel like I've been beaten...and it will eat at me.

LsX: DO IT~ 11.32 @120mph
#968490 - 04/12/13 10:04 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Joe b. Offline
Joe b.  Offline

west haven ct.
No cats 25 years old

#969664 - 04/24/13 09:24 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Clutch_Grabwell Offline
15+ Year
Clutch_Grabwell  Offline
15+ Year

Millbury, MA
I made a call last week to Pypes' tech support and had a discussion about the lousy fit of my cat-back. They asked for photos which were sent today. Assuming the Pypes set will need some tweaking, I reinstalled the remains of the old exhaust to keep the car drivable. Not too far though, the tailpipes are still off.

Here are the Pypes. Blew it on the focus...

And the old mufflers back on. Note much better alignment. And focus.

[Linked Image]
#971955 - 05/17/13 11:33 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Clutch_Grabwell]  
Clutch_Grabwell Offline
15+ Year
Clutch_Grabwell  Offline
15+ Year

Millbury, MA
In response to a PM received earlier today.

Originally Posted By: Pypes

On Apr 30, 2013, at 5:08 PM, "Tech @ Pypes Exhaust" <tech@pypesexhaust.com> wrote:

> Judging from the pictures, the passenger side tailpipe is about right. It needs to be tweaked a little more to get it off of the bumper and exiting a little more parallel. Loosen the passenger side muffler and tailpipe, put a spacer under the tailpipe at the end of the bumper, re-adjust the tailpipe and then torque down the clamps. Just so you know, the tailpipes do not exit the car on the same exact plain(sic). They are slightly off but not really noticeable.

Bullpucky.
Here's the driver's side:
There's no hanger at this point but you get the picture. I can live with this.

And the passenger's side. This isn't acceptable and there has been no reply since sending these pictures to Pypes.

[Linked Image]
#971964 - 05/18/13 02:11 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Clutch_Grabwell]  
Duster Offline
Duster  Offline

Orland Park.Illinois
I have the DynoMax cat-back on my 87 SS.

No problems with installation and they fit perfectly.

1987 SS Silver/Gray
#971970 - 05/18/13 04:02 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
TriumphoverU Offline
TriumphoverU  Offline

St. Johns, MI
Clutch, thanks for the update. All of this because they will not admit they have the right side tail pipe bent wrong!

Is there any way to bend stainless ex. pipe? Can you heat it with a torch and get it to bend? Or will the pipe split open? I've never dealt with stainless, so I'm not sure if it would react like normal steel. I wonder if once its bent too far, could a shop with a mandrel bending machine "unbend" or straighten it out at all?

Last edited by TriumphoverU; 05/18/13 04:17 AM.
#971974 - 05/18/13 04:36 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
Clutch_Grabwell Offline
15+ Year
Clutch_Grabwell  Offline
15+ Year

Millbury, MA
Duster, I'm not sure that Dynomax still makes a cat back for our cars. How old is your system? There were few choices available currently.

As far as getting this set to fit better, I brought the car to an exhaust shop yesterday for an opinion. I got the impression that cutting and welding will be involved. And more $$. They mentioned that getting Pypes systems to fit has been good for business.

[Linked Image]
#971975 - 05/18/13 04:44 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
FatBoyFresh Offline
FatBoyFresh  Offline

Frederick, MD
This is why I have an exhaust shop locally that I deal with. It took me a while to find but they have done a couple vehicles for me and I have never been dissapointed with price or quality. Im sorry to hear that your kit is giving your problems. Its frustrating because I have been in that situation. I hope that Pypes finds out some way to take care of you on this issue.

#972094 - 05/19/13 04:22 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
TriumphoverU Offline
TriumphoverU  Offline

St. Johns, MI
First off please excuse my dirty under carriage. Now on to the problem. Here you will see I am having the same exact problems as Clutch is.

The first picture shows how the system will not lay flat on the right side.

This picture shows where I believe the bending error to be in the right side tail pipe. The right side pipe (closest) should not be bent up, it should lay flat like the left side.

This is the tail pipes installed correctly and exiting properly beneath the frame rails and out from under the rear bumper.

Attempted to connect the x-pipe to the mufflers...(I knew it would not fit when it was on the ground but pypes told me that they needed pictures of it installed on the car.) When trying to actually connect the x-pipe, the "x" hit the drive shaft long before I was able to connect it to the muffler. And it looked goofy, because the x-pipe was tipped up so high on the right side in attempt to connect the muffler.

For this picture I installed the intermediate pipes into the mufflers to illustrate how far off that bending error makes when you make it to the front of the muffler. Yeah I know that's not where those intermediate pipes belong....just there to show the screwed up angles.

And just for the record, everything else fits great, the left side tail, left side muffler, and the x-pipe. Its just the right side tail that's messed up. Oh yeah, and the Jegster crossmember came out and the factory piece was modified and reinstalled. The "humps" in the Jegster are too narrow for the 355 Chevy with hooker headers.

I called pypes, they asked for pictures, I e-mailed them as requested (over a week ago), and am still awaiting their response. I am getting frustrated, and all because of one tail pipe. Hopefully they get that bend fixed and send me a new tail pipe so I can finish my installation and that so no one else ends up with this problem.

#972254 - 05/20/13 06:08 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
71350SS Offline
71350SS  Offline

northern new jersey
If pypes doesn't fix the problem or its too far out of returning the R/S tailpipe,the tailpipe can be fixed with 1 simple bend.If you know a muffler shop with a pipe bender and the knowledge to use it bring them the tailpipe.
Lay the tailpipe on a flat table or the ground,then make a mark on the pipe about 3-4 inches above the 1st bend but on the opposite side of the 1st bend.Right about here :
http://www.montecarloss.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7391&title=pypes-exhaust&cat=970
have the bender operator put about a 3 degree bend (approx- may need 5 degree) on the opposite side of the tailpipe's 1st bend.Pull the pipe out of the machine and lay it on the ground and check the work.This will bring the pipe inlet down in relation to the rest of the pipe.The front of the pipe should be on the same relative plane as the rear of the pipe now.
I worked at a muffler shop for about 3 yrs when I was starting out as a mechanic.This is the method we used when a pipe was bent wrong from the factory.Nocutting or welding is required and it should take about 15-30 minutes total.If you lay the left side tailpipe on the ground you should be able to describe it to the bender operater so he understands what is needed.

John
#972288 - 05/20/13 11:42 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: 71350SS]  
TriumphoverU Offline
TriumphoverU  Offline

St. Johns, MI
Originally Posted By: 71350SS
If pypes doesn't fix the problem or its too far out of returning the R/S tailpipe,the tailpipe can be fixed with 1 simple bend.If you know a muffler shop with a pipe bender and the knowledge to use it bring them the tailpipe.
Lay the tailpipe on a flat table or the ground,then make a mark on the pipe about 3-4 inches above the 1st bend but on the opposite side of the 1st bend.Right about here :
http://www.montecarloss.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=7391&title=pypes-exhaust&cat=970
have the bender operator put about a 3 degree bend (approx- may need 5 degree) on the opposite side of the tailpipe's 1st bend.Pull the pipe out of the machine and lay it on the ground and check the work.This will bring the pipe inlet down in relation to the rest of the pipe.The front of the pipe should be on the same relative plane as the rear of the pipe now.
I worked at a muffler shop for about 3 yrs when I was starting out as a mechanic.This is the method we used when a pipe was bent wrong from the factory.Nocutting or welding is required and it should take about 15-30 minutes total.If you lay the left side tailpipe on the ground you should be able to describe it to the bender operater so he understands what is needed.

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Hopefully pypes just sends me another pipe that is bent correctly since I paid for a system that fits properly. I'd rather not have to spend more money on this than I already have. But I definatly will take it to the local shop if pypes doesn't stand behind their product!

#972289 - 05/20/13 11:50 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
TriumphoverU Offline
TriumphoverU  Offline

St. Johns, MI
Just so I'm on the same page as you is this the location and the direction of bend you are talking about?

#972435 - 05/21/13 11:13 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Onebadbowtie86]  
Jameson Offline
15+ Year
Jameson  Offline
15+ Year

Elizabeth City, NC
Originally Posted By: Onebadbowtie86
What mufflers did you go with? any final pics? I wonder if the gn style exit would fit better?

I bought the GN style exit one from Pypes... 2.5in... Its at the shop right now being installed, and I stopped in and looked at the car tonight and they had the exhaust all installed and were building the downtubes from my midlength headers. But everything tucks nicely, tail pipes exit nice and even. I will post pics when I get the car out of the shop.

1988 Monte Carlo SS Eaton 112 5.3/T56 swap, Way to many mods to list.
2015 GMC Sierra Denali

#972444 - 05/22/13 12:01 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Clutch_Grabwell]  
Joe b. Offline
Joe b.  Offline

west haven ct.
Im having the same problem one sits good the passenger one hangs down
Originally Posted By: Clutch_Grabwell
In response to a PM received earlier today.

Originally Posted By: Pypes

On Apr 30, 2013, at 5:08 PM, "Tech @ Pypes Exhaust" <tech@pypesexhaust.com> wrote:

> Judging from the pictures, the passenger side tailpipe is about right. It needs to be tweaked a little more to get it off of the bumper and exiting a little more parallel. Loosen the passenger side muffler and tailpipe, put a spacer under the tailpipe at the end of the bumper, re-adjust the tailpipe and then torque down the clamps. Just so you know, the tailpipes do not exit the car on the same exact plain(sic). They are slightly off but not really noticeable.

Bullpucky.
Here's the driver's side:
There's no hanger at this point but you get the picture. I can live with this.

And the passenger's side. This isn't acceptable and there has been no reply since sending these pictures to Pypes.

#972453 - 05/22/13 01:32 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
TriumphoverU Offline
TriumphoverU  Offline

St. Johns, MI
Joe,

Sounds like all three of us are having the same problem. The passenger side tail pipe. I have been waiting for over a week now for a response from Brandon at pypes. You would think with at least 3 of us having the same problem, they would finally admit that there is a problem.

Bottom line is that pypes is not standing behind their products.

#972513 - 05/22/13 07:23 PM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
406monte Offline
10+ Year
406monte  Offline
10+ Year

Hubert, NC
Well, I was thinking about a set for my car, but after seeing and hearing about this I will stay clear of them. Good Luck Fellas.

84 Monte Carlo SC 406 SBC
78 Monte Carlo 305 sbc SOLD
78 Monte Carlo Landua 350 sbc SOLD
81 Malibu Classic 350 sbc SOLD
84 Monte Carlo LS 350 sbc SOLD
84 Buick Regal 229 v6 SOLD

#972849 - 05/26/13 02:20 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Joe b.]  
TriumphoverU Offline
TriumphoverU  Offline

St. Johns, MI
Well I finally got my pypes system installed. After 45 minutes with a torch and a helper, I straightened out the bend I showed earlier. I heated up the bend all the way around and about a total of 6 inches of length of the pipe. I slowly bent the pipe down until I was able to get the tail pipe to lay flat when assembling the system on the ground.

I only have one picture of the exhaust for now, I'll try to get more maybe tomorrow. I was able to get the tail pipes to follow the frame rails nicely. The only thing I still need to do is cut the left tail pipe for length. It sticks out about 2" beyond the rear bumper. That will be an easy job with the reciprocating saw.

And I am kind of regretting the race pro mufflers. They are extremely quiet. But they will do just fine. I am used to the flowmaster 40 series. I wonder how much louder the violators would have been.

If you buy this system, plan on making it fit. Pypes has not returned my e-mail in over 2 weeks now. I called them first, and was told to e-mail pictures, which I did, and that someone would CALL me back. Well, they never called, they just replied to my e-mail I sent with pictures. I then took more pictures of the system installation attempt on the car as they requested and sent them back in an e-mail. And now that I fixed their screw up, I still haven't heard back from them! Their customer service sucks! Their tech help is worthless, I was simply trying to get this system to fit properly, and also help pypes out so they could figure out what is wrong so future orders aren't screwed up like mine was.

Last edited by TriumphoverU; 05/26/13 05:22 AM.
#972851 - 05/26/13 02:31 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: TriumphoverU]  
Fred SS Offline
10+ Year
Fred SS  Offline
10+ Year

Glassboro, NJ
I was also considering purchasing a Pypes system. After reading this thread, I will stay away from them.

87 SS, Harwood cowl induction hood, UMI trailing arms. Hooker 2050 Headers (Jet Hot Coated). Hooker Cat-Back Exhaust, Goodwrench 350, Ported TPI, Trick Flow 56cc alum heads, SLP runners, Comp Cams 260AH-12 cam, Trick Flow 1.5 roller rockers, TCI 2400 stall converter, Denny's 3.5" Driveshaft, GBodyParts GNX Replica Wheels 18x8 & 18x9.
#972854 - 05/26/13 03:02 AM Re: pypes exhaust problem [Re: Fred SS]  
Jameson Offline
15+ Year
Jameson  Offline
15+ Year

Elizabeth City, NC
Originally Posted By: TriumphoverU

And I am kind of regretting the race pro mufflers. They are extremely quiet. But they will do just fine. I am used to the flowmaster 40 series. I wonder how much louder the violators would have been.

Im kind of in the same boat... I bought the race pro's and looking at them I figured they would be louder, Granted now I have 200 miles through them and they are getting louder and sound mean as hell at WOT with the LS motor and really scream. In the long run its nice to have the flow and no headache after going for a ride as Ive had in the past.

I may pick up the Violators and swap them out to see how they sound but I don't want drone or unbearable stupid loud.

Originally Posted By: Fred SS
I was also considering purchasing a Pypes system. After reading this thread, I will stay away from them.

Honestly me and the exhaust shop that installed mine is very happy with my GN style exits system, the fit appears to be much nicer then the stock style tail pipes and im pleased with the rest of the fit.

1988 Monte Carlo SS Eaton 112 5.3/T56 swap, Way to many mods to list.
2015 GMC Sierra Denali

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Random Images
500/thumbs/IMG_20121207_130339.jpg
by atorres5
500/thumbs/the_monte_now1.jpg
by montesleeper83
961/thumbs/shifter_console_cutout.jpg
by jrz126
560/thumbs/MM_04_19.jpg
by NYmonteSS
500/thumbs/67.JPG