MonteCarloSS.com

Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood

Posted By: jac1599

Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 10/12/07 01:57 AM

I'm willing to bet that the majority of you guys have faded door panels. Well, if everything but the color of yours is in good shape, it seems kind of dumb to shell out $150+ for a replacement set. Here are the steps I took to restore mine:

Dyeing Door Panels

Materials Needed:
1. "Wine" color RiT fabric dye - Wal-Mart
2. Old wash cloth
3. Faded door panelso
Picture - Materials:

Instructions
1. Clean door panels. Don't want to trap any dust or other trash.
2. Fold the wash rag into fourths and using your index and middle finger put the rag over the dye and tilt upside down for a split second so that a little bit of dye stays on the rag. The spot of dye should be about the size of a quarter.
3. Using the same two fingers begin to apply the dye to the very top of the door panel (right at the window felt). Use a circular motion so that the dye is applied to all sides of the material. This amount of dye is good for about 3-4 columns (in between stitching).
Picture - application:

4. After you've applied dye to the top, move down about an inch and use the same circular motion. DO NOT REAPPLY DYE unless the fading is so severe that it goes down further. In this step we are blending the dye because it is not a 100% perfect match.
Picture - progress comparison:

5. Continue to work slowly, blending as you go.
6. Be sure to wipe off any dye that gets on the trim piece for the window felt.

Results:
Before:

After:

As it dries it lightens up and blends much more evenly.
Posted By: jrdrag

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 09/11/08 12:40 AM

Just a heads up, that dye is not permanent. I just tried this on my door panels and after drying two days it wiped right off with a damp cloth. I can only imagine how my GF would react if that was her good white shirt. It did look 1000x better but be careful, it does come off.
Posted By: gwssmonte

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 06/07/10 06:10 PM

Has anybody else tryed this dye ??? Also do you think it can be used on the top of my rear seats????? Thanks for your input ahead of time....
Posted By: under-aged boss

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 06/08/10 05:25 AM

has anybody tried dying maroon panels to black?
Posted By: jrdrag

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 06/16/10 12:47 AM

I put this stuff on the door panels and the tops of the back seats. Looked Great. Problem is it never dries. I wiped mine off before anyone got it on their clothes.

Caleb
Posted By: Snowboi

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 06/16/10 09:54 PM

Just paint them, the paint will dry. You can use the dye on stuff like the rear package tray, or you can put it on anytrhing, you just cant touch it after you dye the parts.

I guess you can consider dying parts if you plan on entering a car show for a prize, and you dont want to buy new parts.
Posted By: Beachbum

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 09/20/11 09:24 PM

Has anyone tried taking off the seat upholstry covers and dyeing them in the washing machine like you would with clothing? Just curious!!
Posted By: elcaminobill

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 11/19/11 04:13 PM

I think what makes this dye permanent is very hot water. What I thought of doing was to mix up a batch with near boiling water and spraying it through a paint gun. Of course you would want to remove whatever you dye and be careful not to get it too wet.
Posted By: redfaced88

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 02/08/12 07:01 AM

There is an upholstery dye called simply spray. Rustoleum also makes one. Both specifically for these types of applications
Posted By: toastedoats

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 04/01/13 07:52 PM

I used Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating which I picked up at AutoZone http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

I am quite impressed with the results, the seats and door panels look brand new aside from a couple spots where you can see some wear in the fabric. The only prep work I did was vacuuming all of the loose crap off of the seats and scraping off a couple crusty spots then went to town taping and spraying. Incredible results for 2 hours and $12 investment.

Before (Right) and After (Left)

Both Seats done. The left only looks lighter because it is in the sun, they are really a perfect match

Got the 2 front seats done and the upper door panels before I ran out of paint

Posted By: dw329

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 05/02/13 02:03 AM

looks good
Posted By: monte_man_2020

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 07/22/13 12:10 AM

I've used the spray paint on nearly ALL interior pieces and either chipped off the plastic parts or 'dusts' of the fabric. Did I do something wrong toastedoats? On the plastic, was it that I should have used wax/tar remover first?
Posted By: stickyfingers

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 07/26/13 12:19 AM

That dye paint worked mint for me 2.

Thx 4 the tip.
Posted By: SKIDMARK

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 07/28/13 11:06 AM

To get the paint to stick 1st clean the plastic parts with dish derergent (DAWN) rinse and let it dry. 2nd use a degreaser spray to make sure all the little crevaces have no old oil residue (armor all) 3rd spray with a quality adhesion promoter 4th apply several light coats of your color of choice. You may need more coats if your changing the color. Try not to handle the parts for about one day.
I have not tried fabric paint but Im sure that if you follow the manufactures instructions it will work out just fine.
Posted By: Skillsz87ss

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 11/28/13 06:41 AM

Originally Posted By: toastedoats
I used Dupli-Color Vinyl and Fabric Coating which I picked up at AutoZone http://www.duplicolor.com/products/vinylFabricCoating/

I am quite impressed with the results, the seats and door panels look brand new aside from a couple spots where you can see some wear in the fabric. The only prep work I did was vacuuming all of the loose crap off of the seats and scraping off a couple crusty spots then went to town taping and spraying. Incredible results for 2 hours and $12 investment.

Before (Right) and After (Left)

Both Seats done. The left only looks lighter because it is in the sun, they are really a perfect match

Got the 2 front seats done and the upper door panels before I ran out of paint

"looks nice have you ran into any problems with it since im thinking of doing this to my 87 but in black.."
Posted By: Bad86SS

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 11/28/13 03:04 PM

SEM 15063 is a great spray for us. Damn near perfect
Posted By: Amp

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 01/17/14 04:41 AM

pm sent , seats look good
Posted By: Amp

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 01/17/14 04:58 AM

how many coats did u put on the seats and
Posted By: sswalt

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 01/19/14 02:36 PM

Always used SEM interior paint with great results
Posted By: JMonte7892

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 01/19/14 05:02 PM

How does black look?
Posted By: darriuSS

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 03/30/14 02:19 PM

What color is it that toasted oats used?
Posted By: GotGrunt

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 03/06/16 05:20 PM

The burgundy interiors look amazing but it's crazy how bad they fade if left in the sun. The spray looks like an easy way to bring it back.
Posted By: Lostcause87

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 04/24/16 03:38 AM

How well do you think this would work to turn a grey part oxblood?
Posted By: Smokin88

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 05/02/17 03:33 AM

I dyed my upper door panels answer they turned out great and the dye dried. Now I'm not saying that the dye will come off if it gets wet from a little rain or something. Just need to be careful around the chrome pinstripe on the panel as mine discolored and wanted to peel.
Posted By: monte_man_2020

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 05/27/18 09:27 AM

Thanks Skidmark. After all these years, I never got back to it. I did trade up (some may disagree) to the 87 aerocoupe. I will be freshening up the oxblood interior and follow your instructions. Interior is all orginal and going to keep it that way this time 😁
Posted By: 86ttop

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 06/07/18 03:58 AM

Plasti-kote Ultra Fabric Kote #518 Burgundy is what I used on my Seats, upper door panels, lower panels where the rug looking part is and the rear package/speaker tray. I vacuumed and shampooed all the cloth parts and let them dry for a day and sprayed three coats of color on them and let them dry for a couple of days and they looked like new and the color never ran or transferred to anything. good luck!!
Posted By: 86ttop

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 07/05/18 01:38 AM

one thing I forgot, after the spray dye as dried, rub the areas you dyed with a terry cloth towel, the velour will be stiff from the dye drying, good luck!!
Posted By: Ubowl

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 01/25/20 11:03 PM

What was the color you used on your seats
Posted By: Monte SS Aero-LT-1

Re: Dyeing Door Panels - Oxblood - 02/17/20 10:04 PM

Mike's Montes has the "Correct" color for these interiors. I have been doing these for over 20 years and all the other products are either too Red or too Purple.
Of course you have to clean the upholstery first. Wax and grease remover, adhesion promoter spray, light coats of color, use a small stiff bristle brush and brush back and forth in between coats.
Let dry a day or 2. Then brush lightly again.
© 2020 MonteCarloSS.com Message Board