MonteCarloSS.com

Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay

Posted By: grwhite038

Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 03:52 AM

I have seen a couple ads on ebay for a intermediate shaft upgrade from a jeep, not sure what year? Eliminates the rag joint and the top sleeve. Does any one know what year these are from and are they any good. Do a search on ebay for g body and you will find them
Posted By: Minotaur15

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 06:58 AM

Not sure what you see on Ebay, but I went with a flaming river collapsable shaft with stainless u-joints on top and bottom. Never have to worry about a loose feel from the intermediate shaft again, thats for sure.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 01:22 PM

http://i17.ebayimg.com/02/i/000/d4/ed/9182_1.JPG

here it is

heres a video of the install

http://www.tuneyfish.com/video_player.php?vid=220

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 01:51 PM

all right guys if you want something done do it yourself here's the answer

"A steering shaft from a 1996 era Jeep Grand Cherokee will bolt into a G-body. The Jeep shaft has u-joints in the shaft rather than rag joints, which will reduce slop."
Posted By: Monte_ExpreSS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 02:29 PM

I also saw these on Ebay & was interested myself. Looks like a good upgrade, I'll have to see if there's any Jeeps at the local yard. Keep us updated if you get one & how it works out.
Posted By: Travis Jones

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 04:18 PM

eliminating the rag joint will probably give you all kinds of squirm in the wheel going down the road. not to mention the vibration

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 04:55 PM

any feedback from anyone running the flaming river setup

also found this on a blazer forum
So anyway. The shaft is a perfect fit. My steering wheel is the straightest it's ever been, and plenty of space between the manifolds and the shaft. I breathe a sigh of relief.

So Grappler and I take it out for a test drive and beat on it pretty hard. As I said, the steering wheel is straight, responsiveness and tightness is incredible (especially w/ my ZQ8 steering box). The truck practically drives itself now! I don't have to swing the steering wheel back and fourth to keep the damn thing straight anymore! YAY! Several miles and tons of turns and curves later, I'm quite happy.

On my way home, I start thinking. GM put the rag joint in, in part for vibration dampning. Hmmm. We really didn't run it through a test for that. What can I do? Well, this being Pennsylvania, the Pothole capital of the world, and being in Pittsburgh, the cobblestone capital of the world, I figured a little more testing was in order.

First I head down some side streets where I know there are some bad potholes. Pretty good, but very hard to tell if there is any vibration when your truck is rocking back and fourth on the pothole slolam (sic?) I needed something else. I head for Squirrel Hill. (Those of you who live around here know what that area is like) I drove 2 miles worth of cobblestone streets. Not one iota of vibration through the steering column. It was a very smooth (albeit noisy) ride. I'm happy...

But wait! There's more!

I figured a speed test was in order. A lot of vibration can happen at higher speeds. Had to do it. I hit I-279. It's me, the road, the truck and a Venti coffee w/ a shot. (I picked up Starbucks). 50, 60, 80, 96 MPH.....Smooth as glass! I finish my coffee and go home.

So in conclusion, for an average $25.00 or less and 2 hours of your time, you can have this mod and eliminate that damn steering slop causing rag joint and be happy! Just please be aware, this is a PERMANANT modification. Once you cut that stem off the steering shaft you are committed. It's not a hard mod. On a 1-10 difficulty level, I would rate it a 5. If you do do it, you will love it and wonder why you didn't do it sooner. If you decide not to do it, you can remain jealous of those that have and continue to complain about your steering slop.

and this update
Update
It's now 1-1/2 years later, no issues to date with the steering or handling.

you know what I think I talked myself into it. I'm in the process of rebuilding so once i get it all together and on the road i will let you all know.
Posted By: 84 ZZ4

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 06:27 PM

I would really be interested if with a set of lo-pro's it would work just as good.
Mine is in need of replacement; heat from the headers, oil spills, etc, has eaten away at it.
Good post! thumbs
Posted By: SS Ninja

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 09:39 PM

Hmm...so, is this steering shaft collapsible in case of an accident? I don't feel like getting speared through the chest.

If so, then this seems pretty cool!
Posted By: 84 ZZ4

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/30/08 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Minotaur15
Not sure what you see on Ebay, but I went with a flaming river collapsable shaft with stainless u-joints on top and bottom. Never have to worry about a loose feel from the intermediate shaft again, thats for sure.

Well, the one from Flaming River is collapsible, and the other one from the auction has the collapsible sleeve design too, so they both should work just the same.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/01/08 12:05 AM

zz4 is right if you watch the videa above it states that is collapsible
Posted By: mmc427ss

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/01/08 01:59 AM

TPI Monte SS, Steve, was telling me about the Jeep shaft swap several months ago. It sounds like a good swap especially if the price is right. All factory shafts are collaspable these days and it appears the Jeep shaft is no exception. My only isses with a used one is how many miles and how much water/heat has the donor seen. Sounds like it not a drop in swap because of the need to shorten the steering column shaft, which isn't hard to do but is a permanent modification.

My Astro van has a much shorter shaft which uses a u-joint at both ends. This setup is needed on the Astro because of the sharp angle necessary to go from the column down to the box. Driving this Astro for three years now I can say you don't miss the rag joint.

I rebuilt my stock intermediate shaft in 2000 using a new bottom 1/2 and R&R'ed upper 1/2. Wasn't aware of the Flaming River or Borgeson available u-joint shafts at the time. The only negative of these two company's shafts is you have to assemble them using the setscrews at the joints, they explicitly say no welding. The Jeep shaft is most likely a welded unit which I would prefer over the setscrews used by the aftermarket.

Next time I'm in the u-pull I'll find a Jeep and see how I like the construction of their shaft.
Bob
Posted By: TPI Monte SS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/01/08 02:35 AM

I know they said the ZJ ('93-'98) Grand Cherokees are a good donor for the shaft, but they share a lot of steering components with the smaller Cherokee (XJ). I'll measure the steering shaft on my '01 Cherokee Sport tomorrow if the weather cooperates and report back if it'll work as a donor. I also found this thread over on ROP - http://www.oldspower.com/vb/showthread.php?p=370166 with some good pics and info about doing the ZJ steering shaft swap too. There is no cutting or welding necessary, the only reason they mention cutting of the steering shaft in the link copied from the S-series forum is because the 2nd-gen S-truck ('94-up) has a longer piece coming out from the firewall and needs to be shortened to allow sufficient room for the shaft to collapse. It's not an issue with the G-body.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/01/08 12:11 PM

Originally Posted By: thepezking639
eliminating the rag joint will probably give you all kinds of squirm in the wheel going down the road. not to mention the vibration

I have to say, I could not be happier without a rag joint. Vibration? Not really, and though it was a long time between factory parts and my mods, I think there is about -zero- difference in vibration transmittance. Steering is rock solid and a pleasure!
Posted By: SickSpeedMonte

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/01/08 03:57 PM

Sweet, I'll have to get one of those shafts! My boot on the upper joint is all ripped up anyway.

BTW, the 2nd gen S10's are 94+

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/01/08 04:32 PM

Originally Posted By: SickSpeedMonte

Thanks Bernie, I updated my post to reflect that. smile I'm going to be on the hunt for one of those ZJ steering shafts as well!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/01/08 10:03 PM

Curious, any idea how these would hold up with a manual steering setup?
Posted By: 84supersport

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/02/08 07:28 PM

I think im going to have to grab one to try out next time im at the u-pull. Mine is all ate up.
Posted By: elcam84

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/03/08 03:09 AM

Looked at the one in a cherokee at the yard and it looks similar. Wasn't sure which one to look for. All the jeep terminology XJ ZJ JJ sounds like an episode of the jeffersons. Those letters mean nothing outside the Jeep community. It's either a cherokee or a grand cherokee etc for non jeep people.

I take it was are looking for the grand cherokee one. Jeeps are rare in the yards here and this was a 00 which is rare to see something that new in the yard...

Anyway eyeballing the cherokee one it looks pretty long. Will have to hope for a grand cherokee next trip.

As for the vibration issue. Why would it be an issue. FWD cars all use u-joints like that and astros do which use the same front suspension and the jeeps use them. Doesn't seem to be any vibration issues with them.
Posted By: SickSpeedMonte

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/03/08 11:50 AM

Originally Posted By: TPI Monte SS
Originally Posted By: SickSpeedMonte

Thanks Bernie, I updated my post to reflect that. smile I'm going to be on the hunt for one of those ZJ steering shafts as well!

Hey man, no problem thumbs

I've got one and the damn thing is driving me up a wall.
Posted By: robs 85ss

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/03/08 06:29 PM

Ok guys Im going to have to put the warning stamp on this upgrade. I just got back from the yard and brought home a shaft from a 96 grand cherokee. The splines fit fine but the upper U joint does not fit. It seems too small. Also I noticed while I was at the yard that some jeeps all from 92-98 have different shafts. The one I picked up has a 7/16 bolt for the splines just like the monte has now some of the other jeeps had a 13mm bolt at both ends. The splines "looked" different I can not say for sure, but I went with what the video posted above said and went with the 7/16 bolt shaft and it does not "bolt right in" kinda pissed off I just spent 2 hours a 1/4 tank of gas $23 and I still dont have a friggin shaft!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/03/08 07:09 PM

Rob, I know this probably won't work for your situation, but there is always www.flamingriver.com wink

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/03/08 08:46 PM

Rob, I'm sorry you were the guinea pig. Did the shaft have 7/16 at the bottom and 9/16th or 5/8th up top also would it work up side down?? I would of beat you to this but had to play dad today instead of a mechanic (shady tree)

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 12:51 AM

Ok guys now that ive had some time to look at it the top U joint just might work, it is a VERY tight fit at least in my case. Tomorrow morning I will hopefully get it in. The top bolt was a 7/16ths head also. Ill take pics tomorrow and report back.

If all else fails I just might be calling up the guys at flaming river and opening up my wallet haha.

Rob

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 12:56 AM

Please do keep us informed.
I just bought one off ebay. Is it possible you just need to open(pry) out the clamp a little?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 01:10 AM

It is possible Ill let you know tomorrow. Just a fyi the new shaft does not have a bolt through the center like the original did for the top joint instead it uses a clamp similar to the one on the bottom joint.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 01:52 AM

Keep us posted Rob, hopefully you'll have good news for us tomorrow. smile
Posted By: Beemer

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 07:09 AM

Yes indeed =) My boot is cracked almost all the way now and I'd rather have this cheap upgrade than have to replace the boot and it still be sloppy lol.

Good luck!!!

- Brandon

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 04:26 PM

Alright guys I have news that you will be happy to hear. I got the shaft in this morning. One thing to make the install easier, drive a flat head screwdriver into the gap of the upper U joint (where the bolt squeezes) and lube up the inside of the coupling and it will slip on much easier. Everything else is pretty much plug and play (dont forget locktite) smile The steering is VERY responsive and will take some getting used to especially if you had a really sloppy rag joint like I did. I like it a lot and would definitely recommend it. I am not sure if it would be almost overly sensitive if you were running large wheels and low profile tires, with my 15" wheels and tall sidewall tires it has just enough "play" Also one thing to mention is I swapped out my steering box for one I bought here a few years ago and apparently its a low effort box, which I really dont care for with the steering shaft upgrade. I think with the correct medium effort box (I havent looked up the part numbers yet) the car would drive great. Hope this helps! Any info on the correct box to look for would be appreciated also.

Edit: Make sure if you are getting on from a junk yard that the bottom bolt for the U joint is 7/16ths and not 13mm. I am not 100%positive but the spline looked different. I saw both shafts is 92-99 cherokees and grand cherokees so just be on the lookout.

Rob

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 04:46 PM

Great news Rob, I was feeling kind of like a heel for bringing this up and then not having it work. Actually went to pick and pull today w/ little G and couldnt get in hes only 3 will try again later.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 06:58 PM

Woohoo, thanks for the update Rob! I'm gonna try to get out to the 'yard one day this week and grab one up. Nice, now we can pilfer parts from other makes besides GM now! smile
Posted By: Beemer

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 08:13 PM

Haha sweet!!! So just a recap because I saw way too many years.

What year Cherokees and Grands do you need to look through.

And it's a 7/16" bolt NOT the 13mm bolt.

I wanna try this lol.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 08:56 PM

Cool. Thanks for letting us know.
Posted By: RocknSS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/04/08 09:02 PM

Great news and thanks for the info!!! This just made my to do list!
Posted By: Scr00ge

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/05/08 09:37 PM

I went to the junk yard today and looked through about 30 Grand Cherokee's and regular Cherokee's. They all had the 13mm bolt at the bottom joint except for one of them which was a 89.
The 89 had the 7/16 bolt and looked the same as the one in the video so I thought I would grab it. Got the bolts out of the top and bottom but could not get the shaft out, it wouldn't collaps like it was supposed to. I pried on it, hit it with a bfh and it wouldn't come off. So does anyone know if the ones with the 13mm bolt will work or not?

Thanks,
Ron

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/06/08 03:10 AM

ScrOOge the one I found was the same way I just unbolted the steering box (3 5/8th bolts on the frame) and was able to slide the steering box down enough to get the shaft out, then at home you just have to unstick the shaft. (clamp, hammer, wd40 ect)

Rob

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/06/08 07:17 PM

I went back and disconnected the steering box and got the shaft. Now another problem. They moved the Cherokee from where it was yesterday and when I took the 7/16" bolts out I set them on top of the grill and left them there. I could only find one of them after they moved it. My local NAPA doesn't have one and neither does Ace Hardware. Called the dealership and they said they can't get it either. Does anyone have any ideas on where to get one or have one that can be sent to me? Out of all the Cherokee's I looked at in 2 different junk yards that 89 was the only one that had the 7/16" bolt.

Ron

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/06/08 09:14 PM

Would the 13mm bolt fit in the 7/16 bolt hole?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/06/08 11:31 PM

Don't know, I guess I should have grabbed one to see while I was there. Didn't really think of that.

Ron
Posted By: 357SS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/06/08 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: 84supersport
Would the 13mm bolt fit in the 7/16 bolt hole?

No the the collar is threaded for a 7/16th headed bolt not for the 13mm headed bolt

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/07/08 04:01 AM

Oh, thought it might be a nut and bolt kind of deal. Ace didnt have a bolt of the approximate length in a 7/16? I've never not been able to find something at Ace.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/07/08 05:23 AM

Pics of the bolt I found laying on the ground where the Cherokee was sitting the day before they moved it, couldn't find the other one. It has a 10.9 on the head which I thought means it is metric but takes a 7/16" socket. Couldn't find one the same length at Ace. I don't know if it matters if the whole bolt is threaded or not. If not I could probally find one at Home Depot.

Ron

Posted By: Gruvin

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/07/08 11:48 AM

should not matter if the whole length is threaded or not... most longer bolts are not as to reduce machining costs

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/07/08 01:58 PM

I dont think you are going to find that exact bolt anywhere... I just checked it out and it does have a 7/16 head on it ,but the threads are metric.... Best bet would be to go back to the junk yard and get one from an 80s gm car/s10. Also I saved one of the 13mm bolts from the other jeep steering shaft and it has smaller threads than the 7/16 headed bolt.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/08/08 03:56 AM

Based on my online research at www.jeepforum.com and some of the various parts sites, I ~think~ you can get the intermediate shaft from any '93-'98 Grand Cherokee, and it'll have the same spline count on the intermediate shaft side as the G-body. I looked up steering boxes for a '97 Grand Cherokee and an '87 Monte Carlo over at www.autozone.com, and it actually lists the same part number for both vehicles. I'm going to check with my friend at the local auto parts store tomorrow to confirm the spline count at the steering shaft on a few different boxes ('93 GC, '98 GC, and '87 Monte) but I suspect they will be the same. I'll keep you posted!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/08/08 08:21 PM

OK, I have some good news! I stopped by the local parts store today, and the guys were kind enough to pull out rebuilt steering boxes for an '87 Monte, a '93 Grand Cherokee, and a '98 Grand Cherokee. They ALL have 26-splines, plus the flat side where the clamp goes. So, any '93-'98 Grand Cherokee steering shaft ~should~ work, regardless of whether it has a 13mm or 7/16" bolt. I'll be the guinea pig for the 13mm bolt, unless someone else gets to it first. I have to try and locate one in a yard around here first!
Posted By: pazzo1969

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/08/08 11:22 PM

well guys, you've sparked an interest in this shaft change over. i got home this afternoon and took the shaft off of my wife's 97 grand cherokee and let me say, it fits my monte just fine. just opened the end a tad and bingo. mine has the 13 mm bolt.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/08/08 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: pazzo1969
well guys, you've sparked an interest in this shaft change over. i got home this afternoon and took the shaft off of my wife's 97 grand cherokee and let me say, it fits my monte just fine. just opened the end a tad and bingo. mine has the 13 mm bolt.

Nice!

So uh...Any plans on putting it back before she finds out it's gone? poke
Posted By: Clutch_Grabwell

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/09/08 01:44 AM

For what it's worth, I installed a '98 Grand Cherokee steering shaft today. Both ends used 8mm x 1.5 pinch bolts with 13mm heads. The bolts supplied were fully threaded unlike those pictured, but I've got no way of knowing if they were original to the shaft (it passed though a middleman before arriving).
Installation was a breeze except for filing a small groove in the column stub to allow some room for the upper pinch bolt. Haven't had a chance to drive anywhere yet due to the car being unregistered all year. It needs an alignment badly following a ZQ8 spindle and AGR steering box swap but it seems nice and tight now. The last few years with a different set of spindles was not a lot of fun.
Posted By: Houlie

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/09/08 01:44 AM

Hmmmmm, maybe I'll change mine over too................not, LOL

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/09/08 03:04 AM

actually the jeep is getting some work on the front end, so she won't miss it. unless i forget about putting it back on this weekend and monday she gets in it and the steering wheel just goes round and round, crap that would be funny as hell

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/09/08 03:52 AM

put your monte one in there!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/09/08 08:27 PM

Deffinately going to get one since it'll help the slop. I guess the only thing left would be the steering box after that.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/12/08 10:00 PM

So I went back to the yard today for the 3rd time and I still don't have one that will work. Today I got two with the 13mm bolts, one for me and one for a friend. Got the old one off the Monte and compared it with the one I got from the 97 Cherokee today with the 13mm bolt. The end that goes to the steering box will work, but the end that goes to the steering wheel will not work. It is way to small.
Look at the pics.

The one on the right is out of the Monte. Look how big the opening is. The one in the middle is out of the 97 Cherokee. Look how small the opening is. The one on the left is out of a 89 Cherokee with the 7/16" bolts. The opening is the same as the Monte's but the shaft is frozen and I can't get it to collaps.

By looking at these pictures, you should know as soon as you look at them in the junk yard if it will work for your g-body or not. The one on the top WILL NOT work, the one on the bottom WILL work. The other end is the same on all of them and is not a problem.
Hope this helps anyone that is going to do this upgrade.

Ron
Posted By: ss4ever

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 12:11 AM

I worked on a 89 Jeep last week and was surprised that it had a GM style column which is probably why the shafts will work.

Originally Posted By: pazzo1969
actually the jeep is getting some work on the front end, so she won't miss it. unless i forget about putting it back on this weekend and monday she gets in it and the steering wheel just goes round and round, crap that would be funny as hell

Don't let that happen please, on these newer cars/trucks there is a piece in the column called a Clock Spring, they are designed so that you can have power to the airbag at any position which sounds great but the manufacturers only allow the clock spring to turn so many revolutions. If you get in there and spin the steering wheel too many revolutions either way you will most likely ruin the Clock Spring which will NOT be cheap to replace and most likely will turn on your Airbag light and your horn and cruise will prolly stop working as well.
Posted By: carloss

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 12:40 AM

The ones that will fit are 93-98 GRAND Cherokee. Was the 97 a Grand or regular Cherokee?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 02:26 AM

oh i put the shaft back on, i was kidding about the steering thing. it's a grand cherokee. i wouldn't have done that to her, i play enough tricks on her as it is...lol

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 03:12 AM

The 97 was a grand cherokee lorado or something like that.
Posted By: fivetodrive

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 09:55 PM

It was nice to see that you guys were able to use my video to make these work for you! They are a great fix for that lousy rag joint. I have quite a few of them ready to go if you guys want them!

Hey Scr00ge those are great pictures that really help these guys out! If you are tired of running to the junkyard just buy mine off ebay or contact me directly if you want them cheaper. I have already collapsed the shaft, expanded the end joint and painted them!

Thanks again for posting about my video!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 10:09 PM

Hey Aaron! good to see you did join the site. My shaft hasn't reached yet, but I'll let all the guys know how it works out when it gets here.
Posted By: ireman

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 10:30 PM

PM sent to FIVETODRIVE.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 10:32 PM

if I wasn't getting another one already I would be in line for yours!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/13/08 10:43 PM

fivetodrive, have you got any tips to share when looking for one? Like someone said the one they got off a Laredo wouldnt work. How much do yours run?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/14/08 03:21 AM

If you are a junkyarder like me you can find them in the early boxy cherokee's Some are better than others and it usually takes me a few to find good ones. The Jeep Grand Cherokee also has a good shaft in them but they are a little harder to get out. On some g-body's it is easier to install if you take a grinder to the shaft for a second and it makes it even easier to get on. Here is a short clip that shows the trick.

http://s151.photobucket.com/albums/s131/fivetodrive/?action=view&current=g-body.flv

Once you pick up a shaft they can also be stuck like the one that Scr00ge picked up. A lot of this is due to the amount of rust in certain parts of the country. I am in a very dry part of Colorado and hardly anything rusts out here so I am able to get some very nice ones...

I dont want to get in trouble for trying to sell on here but I wanted to give you guys the info you need and a discount if I could!

I sell the intermediate steering shaft for $50 including free shipping anywhere in the USA! I can sell them for less than I do on ebay because the fees are getting crazy!

I am using the profits that I make to help me rebuild my Syclone after it caught fire on my birthday... Here are pictures if you are not squeamish...

http://www.syty.net/forums/showthread.php?t=58117

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/15/08 04:14 AM

Another PM sent to fivetodrive
Posted By: kevlar04778

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/15/08 01:49 PM

Hi guys,

Looks like a nice upgrade... I didn't see anyone mention using a setup from Borgeson. I did see flaming river, though.

I'm running a borgeson setup in my 85 monte. It uses a collapsable double "d" shaft and machine grade U-joints on either end of the shaft. The U-joint that mates with the AGR 12:1 steering box has an integrated vibration damper. It was really easy to install, just had to cut the double "d" to length and attach the u-joints on both ends. It was rather expensive but I think it will work well.

I have not driven the car yet with this setup, but I'll report the results when I do. I'll also post some pics when I figure out how to insert them in these posts.

lars
Posted By: wurx406

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/15/08 06:34 PM

Well fellow members the intermediate shaft that I pulled was from a 96 Grand Cherokee and it fit just about perfect and made a major difference in the feel of my steering and since this car see's alot of drag time as well as street time i can honestly say it was a worthy investment of $16.00 bucks and ten minutes of my time @ LKQ orlando. LKQ has about 15 or 20 of these jeeps and most of them have the proper shafts for our cars so if your having trouble tracking one down let me know and I will go pull one for you, and will send it to you with the reciept, but pay the shipping and parts price plus $10.00 for my time and gas

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/15/08 10:09 PM

PM sent to wurx406

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/17/08 09:29 PM

Sorry about not getting back to this sooner I screwed up on my password and I wanted to clear this with PaulC. He gave me the go ahead. I just wanted to be ok with the moderator before offering these.

The steering shafts that I pull are the same. I take the time to compress them, clean them and paint them and verify that the joints are in good shape. Some of them will not compress and are all covered with junk. That is why I charge a little more. Just trying to fix my truck!

Thanks!

Aaron

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/18/08 12:31 AM

Hey Aaron, I just got the shaft today & got it installed. Much better general feel to the steering for sure. It's tighter & more responsive.
For anyone thinking about doing this upgrade, STOP thinking & do it!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/20/08 09:07 PM

Thanks! It made a huge difference on my Syclone. But that is a truck so I bet it really helps on a Monte! I have a few other shafts ready for you guys! Just let me know and I will get one out to you!

Aaron

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/20/08 09:28 PM

Alright. The one I grabbed Saturday was from a 97 Grand Cherokee. Top is too small. Glad I got the warranty so I can just go and exchange it. For those junkyarding their own. You need one with a ~1x3/4" top piece. I measured my factory one while it was off, which was fun putting back on.
Posted By: rmodys

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/20/08 09:39 PM

So what year is it from... a 1996 Grand Cherokee, right?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/21/08 03:30 AM

I'll find out next time I go. They have lots of Jeeps. I'll look around and see what years have what. I knew this one was too easy. Some had already pulled the whole front but the fenders, motor, and front axle.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/23/08 04:22 AM

You can also pull one from the earlier boxy jeeps. Just make sure they are larger on the top end like the picture posted above!
Posted By: 345HP87SSAC

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/02/08 11:12 PM

PM Sent tp 5todrive

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/03/08 12:22 AM

ditto but no response
Posted By: toms84ss

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/10/08 01:37 AM

Anyone here from this guy lately?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/10/08 01:59 AM

Being I'm not big on putting foreign car parts on my GM, last week I did an intermediate shaft upgrade using Borgeson stainless u-joints and their telescoping shaft. Many years ago I bought a new lower 1/2, rag joint side, and rebuilt the pot joint and installed a fresh boot. Recently I noticed the rag joint was getting sloppy again and after being inspired by the Jeep intermediate shaft swap I knew it was time to replace mine. Thanks for the inspiration.
Bob

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/11/08 06:35 PM

I'm guessing others have bought from this guy. He got a M.O. from me 10 days ago and I cant get a hold of him. Anyone know how to contact this guy. He wont answer emails or PM's.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/11/08 08:37 PM

Hmm, I bought my shaft from Aaron & it got here just fine. His cummnication left something to be desired though. He also sells these on Ebay & the Sy/Ty forum, maybe you guys will have better luck contacting him through one of those methods.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/12/08 09:54 PM

Got the parts today. Along with an email. First time I heard from the guy in almost two weeks. Anyway, everything is fine, guess I'm just paranoid anymore.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/12/08 11:03 PM

Sorry guys I fell a little behind getting this many cleaned painted and compressed takes a while. You guys have helped me completely clean out one junkyard and pull half of the ones in the other yard. Luckily there are 4 yards that are close to me so I still have plenty of them.

I will have more shafts by this weekend. I have sent 20 out in the last 2 weeks... That is why I have not been quick on responding. Sorry... Been BUSY with these things!!!! I will post my phone # for anyone that wants them.

The IT department also started tracking everything we did on the internet so I have not been able to check my email at work. I am sorry for the lack of communication. I was not expecting to sell 20 in two weeks when I normally only sell 5 a month.

My phone # is 3 0 3 807 17 35 and that is the best way to get ahold of me. Sorry for the spaces but I hate the phone messages from the company offering to extend the warranty on my 17 year old truck!!! LOL

They are $50 shipped in the USA!!!

My paypal address is aaronptimm @ yahoo.com (Remove the spaces)

I offer a money back guarantee as well. If you don't like it let me know and I will refund your $$$

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/13/08 02:24 AM

Put one in mine about two weeks ago. The one I got from a Grand Cherokee would not work but the one from a normal Cherokee did. Works great. Took 75% of the slop out of my steering. Rest has to be in the original steering box. Need to find that thing on tightening it.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/18/08 10:45 PM

Grwhite038 your shaft is on its way. You should have it before the weekend! Thanks for the business. Thanks to you guys I have the replacement wiring harness for my transmission!

Well I finally have plenty of these shafts! I cleaned out another Junkyard!!! These will be cleaned, painted, compressed, and lubricated so that they will compress for easy installation! Here is proof!

Thanks guys!

Aaron
Posted By: maverick

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/24/08 12:33 AM

Great thread! I haven't driven my SS in a while, but you can bet I will be checking the condition of the rag joint next chance I get. Sounds like a solid upgrade!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/25/08 10:26 PM

Got mine in this past weekend. Took more play out then I thought it would. I had replaced my rag joint last year, but this shaft took alot of twitchyness out of the steering on less then smooth roads. Nice upgrade for not much money or work.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/25/08 10:46 PM

got it thanks five
Posted By: PB86SS/87LS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/26/08 02:42 PM

Sounds like a great upgrade, I might try to look for my own but if all else fails, I know where to get some laugh . I've been wanting to upgrade the shafts in my Montes for awhile.

Sorry to see your Syclone fivetodrive, yikes! Glad its being rebuilt though.

So for us Jeep newbies, the basic difference between a Grand Cherokee and Cherokee are that the Cherokee is a little more boxy? I looked up some pictures, it seems thats how I can tell them apart. My uncle has a mid to late 90's Cherokee, maybe this Thanksgiving I'll spend some time in his garage tongue .
Posted By: gbodybilly

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/26/08 03:19 PM

Additionally, the Cherokee is body on frame whereas the Grand Cherokee is not, IIRC.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/26/08 04:56 PM

Originally Posted By: gbodybilly
Additionally, the Cherokee is body on frame whereas the Grand Cherokee is not, IIRC.

The "little" Cherokee ('84-'01, box on wheels) is also a unibody with a leaf-spring rear axle. The '93-'98 Grand Cherokee is boxy-looking, but a little bit larger than the standard Cherokee. It has a 4-link rear, so if there was any question about whether you were looking at a Grand or a regular Cherokee, take a look at the rear axle. There was a full-size Cherokee that was a full-frame truck, but that thing is huge compared to the Cherokee.

Hope that helps!
Posted By: GuysMonteSS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/27/08 07:45 PM

I just ordered one from Aaron,this should fix my sloppy steering.This summer I adjusted the steering box,had a new tie rod end installed,had the front end aligned,and new tires too,but the steering was still a bit loose.I guess that I'll find out next summer !!!
Guy
Posted By: 87MCSSTPI

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/29/08 07:07 PM

Not to take any steam away from fivetodrive, but I just got one of these from a junkyard and installed it. Pulled one out of a 93-98 Grand Cherokee just had to make sure it had the larger hole for the steering column. My bolts where the 13 MM ones but I installed them without a hitch. I am just curious do they sell new u joints so you can rebuild those shafts? I searched on a couple auto parts sites and even on moparpartsamerica.com and didn't find anything. Great upgrade my rag joint was in bad shape and it took boatloads of slop out of my steering wheel.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/08/08 09:03 PM

Dont worry about posting what they come out of. Go to the yard and get one. If you have a good yard close go and get one! But some will compress and others will not. I also try to make sure that the ones I pull have good u-joints. But with as little torque as these things get I cannot imagine that the ujoints would really wear out. Plus they are pressed in so I am not sure how you would replace them anyways.

I am just trying to pay for my time and make a little bit of $ to help rebuild my truck. So there is no taking of any steam! I just try to help you guys out!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/09/08 01:04 PM

While it may be easy for some to pull one of these shafts at a junk yard,it is somewhat harder for others,like myself.This is a very cheap alternative to peicing together an aftermarket shaft.I wont find out for sure until next summer exactly how much difference it will make,but I will be sure to post on it.
Guy
Posted By: Mikey340

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/15/08 07:28 AM

Great something else to look for in the boneyard:-)
Mike

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/17/08 12:54 AM

I went to the junkyard today, they had a fair share of Jeep Cherokees, pulled one shaft and the upper part is too small, walked over to where a couple Montes were and theres no way it would fit. Looked at all the Jeeps, a couple we're missing shafts but the ones remaining looked to be the same as the first.

Is there any rhyme or reason to which ones have the larger upper hole that will fit our cars?
Posted By: rmodys

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/17/08 01:49 AM

We scored a super clean shaft out of an S10 at a swap meet last month... man the car's a ton of fun to drive now! There's still a little bit of slop left from the steering box but that has to wait until after the TPI swap is finished.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/17/08 03:45 AM

I noticed the grand cherokees have the smaller upper portion while the normal xjs had the larger upper portion.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/17/08 03:58 AM

Originally Posted By: 84supersport
I noticed the grand cherokees have the smaller upper portion while the normal xjs had the larger upper portion.

Alright, now I'm confused...

I thought the Grand Cherokee had the correct larger upper portion, while the Cherokee had the smaller upper end that wouldn't work? think
Posted By: sawmillman

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/17/08 05:14 AM

GOning to the yard next week so which is it grand or regular cherokee

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/17/08 12:38 PM

My shaft just arrived yesterday,thanks Aaron !!!
Guy

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/17/08 08:37 PM

The first one I grabbed was out of a grand cherokee. Paid two dollars extra for the warranty incase it didnt fit. Well it didnt, went back and got one from a normal cherokee and it fit. Checked other grand cherokees and regular cherokees and they were all the same way.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/21/08 11:16 AM

I dont remember the year change for the Grand Cherokee change. The earlier Grand Cherokee's have the larger uppper portion. There was an additional change with the very latest boxy cherokee as well. So for you other junkyard hunters be sure to look at the upper portion before you pull it.

Here is where scr00ge compares them:
Originally Posted By: Scr00ge
So I went back to the yard today for the 3rd time and I still don't have one that will work. Today I got two with the 13mm bolts, one for me and one for a friend. Got the old one off the Monte and compared it with the one I got from the 97 Cherokee today with the 13mm bolt. The end that goes to the steering box will work, but the end that goes to the steering wheel will not work. It is way to small.
Look at the pics.

The one on the right is out of the Monte. Look how big the opening is. The one in the middle is out of the 97 Cherokee. Look how small the opening is. The one on the left is out of a 89 Cherokee with the 7/16" bolts. The opening is the same as the Monte's but the shaft is frozen and I can't get it to collaps.

By looking at these pictures, you should know as soon as you look at them in the junk yard if it will work for your g-body or not. The one on the top WILL NOT work, the one on the bottom WILL work. The other end is the same on all of them and is not a problem.
Hope this helps anyone that is going to do this upgrade.

Ron
Posted By: Mikey340

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 12/31/08 01:09 AM

Got one out of a Cherokee Sport not sure of year.
Installed it yesterday works great.
One tip it would not collapse so out came the torch.
There's some plastic on the shaft that slides into the uppper part, heated it up enough to melt it and shaft finally moved. YIPPPEEE.
Thanks to whoever found out about this mod.
It's a definite improvement over the stock rag-joint.
Mike
Posted By: elcam84

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 01/26/09 05:30 PM

91 Cherokee works. There is one a year or so off that will not work. Bolts are 11mm head. Same bolt as the lower one on the g-bod but different size head.

It WILL NOT COMPRESS ON THE CAR. You will have to either pull the steering column loose or remove the steering gear to get enough play to get it out. Trrying to compress it on the car will damage the rubber isolator in it.

When you get it home fold the u-joints over and place it vertically on a board on concrete. Then hold another board the same on top. Then have some one hit it with a sledge. It took half a dozen hard hits with a 3lb sledge to get mine to compress with a helper holding the shaft and board.

The ends will not easily slide on. So... Place a piece of steel in the gap and put a sarcificial bolt in the joint backwards. Tighten the bolt against the steel plate(washer) until the collar spreads open. Give it a couple good cranks on the rachet. Then remove the bolts and washers and install.

The lower end is the same as the old one. The upper is a little different. The OE shaft had a bolt going through the shaft while the new one is a pinch bolt. The shaft is ground flat on the side of the bolt but not enough to clear the bolt.
So you can either measure and grind a slight groove for the bolt to fit into or you can just force the boltt to thread into the edge of the shaft then it'll go the rest of the way and be very tight.

Do not force the upper part of the shaft on by heavy hammering as that can damage the steering column bearings which are very fragile. Make sure the collar is spread enough to slide it most of the way. A few light taps are OK but don't try installing the shaft without spreading it first.
Posted By: 85_SS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 01/28/09 10:15 PM

I just got mine in the mail today and one of them has a lot of weather cracks on the rubber boot. Anyone think it's worth worrying about? I assume it's just to keep dirt/dust/grease out of the collapsing part of the shaft?
Posted By: MaverickMonte85

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 01/28/09 11:41 PM

I wouldn't worry about it just keep the shaft lubed every ounce in a while and you shouldn't have any trouble but if you want peace of mind you could always use a shock boot off one of these newer mountain bikes.
Posted By: MattsMonte

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/03/09 03:48 AM

Hey I have left a couple of PM's for Aaron. I don't think he has been on lately. Can someone contact him and let him know there are PM's for him, please?

Thanks.

Larry

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/03/09 12:30 PM

Heres his phone #; 1-303-807-1735
Guy

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/03/09 05:10 PM

His email is aaronptimm AT yahoo.com

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/03/09 05:28 PM

Thanks guys.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/03/09 07:03 PM

I just contacted Aaron by email. He still has four left if anyone is interested.

Larry
Posted By: sslover85

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/04/09 02:03 AM

I went to the local yard today after just finding this thread yesterday. After reading over and over I went looking for a shaft with a large upper area. after looking at a couple of jeeps I found one. Both bolts were 13mm. It collapsed easy and I must say I have never had my car steer the way it does now. And just to add I checked my car yesterday and found out I needed a rag joint. I went to the auto store, went to the help section and got what I needed. I changed my mind and came home and got on my favorite website. That's when I found this upgrade. I recommend this to everyone!!!
Posted By: sslover85

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/04/09 02:07 AM

Oh yeah I have 20's too.
Posted By: redlineSS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/05/09 07:33 PM

Someone mentioned S-10 shafts a few posts back. I was wondering what years S-10 shafts would work? Or is it just Jeep shafts that work for this upgrade?..............Anyone???
Posted By: 88SS-357

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/05/09 08:34 PM

I'm on the hunt for one of these shafts...will one from a 1990 Cherokee work? I believe it has the large top joint.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/05/09 09:01 PM

Originally Posted By: redlineSS
Someone mentioned S-10 shafts a few posts back. I was wondering what years S-10 shafts would work? Or is it just Jeep shafts that work for this upgrade?..............Anyone???

The S-10 guys swap these shafts in as well - I think that may be where the confusion lies. The guy selling them on here and ebay has a Typhoon or Cyclone.
Posted By: Monte4ever

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/05/09 09:37 PM

PM sent to wurx406

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/06/09 05:32 PM

Thanks guys for posting my info! As said above I dont check this site a lot and appreciate the referrals! I always have at least 2 or 3 shafts ready to go.

It seems like there are a lot of canadian guys one here so I wanted to post that I can fit up to 5 shafts in a USPS flat rate box that only costs about $25 to send. Luckily here in Colorado there are plenty of Jeeps so I can always find more shafts in a couple of days!

Thanks again and my contact info is:
aaronptimm @ yahoo . com (remove the spaces)
or home 720-933-7635 or cell 303-807-1735

Take care and thank you ELCAM84 for the good explanation above! I think that there is also a new (GM PART) upgraded bearing for the lower end of the steering column. I will try to find the post on SYTY.net that talks about it. It is actually for the s-10 but it may be applicable for you guys as well!

Aaron

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/09/09 07:05 PM

Payment sent to 5todrive.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/12/09 07:16 PM

Does anyone know if the size hole on the column side of the shaft is made from aluminum or steel? I found a couple cheaper units on ebay but there isn't a picture available of the end according to the seller as they are boxed up already. He did state though there are kinds with aluminum and some with steel, just thinking that might correlate with the difference in size opening.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/12/09 07:44 PM

Mine is all steel - not sure if the ones with the smaller holes are aluminum or not.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/13/09 12:32 AM

Originally Posted By: 85_SS
Mine is all steel - not sure if the ones with the smaller holes are aluminum or not.

X2, the one I put in my car was all steel, and so was the one I sent down to Jeremy (Gruvin). They had the right size collar to fit the column end.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/14/09 12:43 AM

Grabbed a couple today that are the right size, 1-2 more left in the local yard but I was running behind so I didn't grab them all. Both of the ones I grabbed do not compress easily, I'll have to use the sledge/torch method to loosen it up. I can't imagine its really frozen just needs a little persuasion...anyone ever run into a completely stuck one? When I first went a couple months ago looking I pulled out two of the wrong size shafts at the column end, those collapsed fine on their own, of course.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/21/09 03:16 AM

Still waiting on mine from 5todrive.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/21/09 03:30 AM

Still waiting on mine from 5todrive

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/21/09 07:07 PM

Is this a pattern?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/21/09 07:21 PM

Have you tried emailing him? I got mine, so I'm sure yours are on the way smile

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/21/09 09:03 PM

I tried email a couple of times. I think he is just slow (I hope). I am going to call him sometime this weekend.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/21/09 10:07 PM

I had no trouble getting mine,phoning Aaron is better than emailing him.
Guy

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/24/09 12:14 AM

Got mt shaft today. It came nice and claen with a fresh coat of paint. Thanks 5todrive.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/24/09 01:48 AM

Got an email from Aaron. He shipped my part over the weekend. He does get the parts for us--he just gets busy.

Larry
Posted By: Stg1Regal

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/25/09 01:35 AM

Off advice from you guys on a different thread, I ordered mine.

Called once to see what was up,Aaron was cool and apologized for not get mine and others out.

Well got home today , there it sat.... nice and shiny..

Thanks Aaron.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/26/09 01:35 PM

Still waiting....

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/27/09 02:31 AM

talked to Aaron tonight. There was just a mixup.

Larry

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/27/09 06:04 PM

It's coming Mat.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/07/09 04:59 AM

Got mine from Aaron today. UPSP mess up before. Part looks very nice.

Larry

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/07/09 12:37 PM

Larry Im glad to hear that your shaft finally arrived.
Guy

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/07/09 03:18 PM

Thanks Guy,

Aaron is a very nice guy. Post Office lost the first part. There was a tracking number. He is busy and works on them in batches. I told him not to worry about timing since we were in no rush.

Larry
Posted By: kruzer

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/11/09 05:11 PM

Hello from wisc. how much do you grt for one of those jeep steering shafts? I may be interested in buying one Thanks

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/11/09 05:42 PM

I paid $50 including shipping. Might be a bit of a wait, but a good upgrade.

Larry

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/17/09 01:54 AM

kruzer, you live close to Al's Salvage yard, there are a few Jeeps with the correct shaft still in the yard most likely. I grabbed a couple, they charged $20 apeice. Still need to get one for my SS too so perhaps we'll race each other and SSScottSS to get there laugh .

Has anyone installed one with Hooker 2050 headers? I just put the one in my LS Sunday, it fits fine but is very close to the #5 primary tube on the headers. Not sure with engine movement if it will hit or cause any problems. I don't think so but don't remember any being so close to the tubes that I've seen pictured.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/24/09 03:05 AM

Picked one of these up the other day from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayIS...T&viewitem=

Ended up costing me ~$60 shipped as I had a paypal coupon for $15% off and I made him an offer slightly less than his asking price.

I paid for it on the 19th and received it in the mail today, so this guy is definitely fast with shipping, and it seems to be in perfect condition.

I realize that I could have gone to a junkyard nearby and picked up one for cheaper, but it probably would have been pretty nasty from the NE winters, so it was worth the extra couple of bucks to get one in better condition.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/24/09 04:04 AM

Aaron grinds them off and repaints them. Good shape when they come.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 03:37 AM

Finally got around to installing mine this weekend.

Question for you guys that already have done this:

Were you able to use the top bolt to tighten the top of the steering shaft? With the bolt loosely threaded, I wasn't able to get it on the bottom tip of the steering column (Or whatever it's really called), and I was only able to get it on there with the bolt off and some persuasion from some love-taps with a hammer. It's on there very snug right now, but I wasn't sure if this was normal.

Also, I had to turn my steering wheel a little less than 45 degrees to the right to get it to line up with the shaft. My tires are straight right now, but the steering wheel is off. An alignment could fix this, right? It'd really bug me to be driving straight with my wheel crooked off to the right.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 03:42 AM

Yes, they fit tight on the upper part of the column, & you have to catch the bolt after you get it on. Also, the threads of the upper bolt will just catch on the column part, but that should help it stay tight. Remember to use some loctite too

Not sure why you had the issue with the steering wheel being off? If you started with the steering wheel & wheels straight, you shouldn't have a issue.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 03:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Monte_ExpreSS

Not sure why you had the issue with the steering wheel being off? If you started with the steering wheel & wheels straight, you shouldn't have a issue.

Yeah, that was a little bizarre to me. The best I can explain it is that on the steering box there's a flat spot, which is how you align the bottom part of the shaft, as the rest is all splined.

Once that's on, the top part of the shaft will only fit the steering column if I move the wheel, as the steering shaft can't rotate seeing as it's now attached to the steering box.

Both the wheels and the steering wheel were straight when I pulled the Monte shaft off.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 12:00 PM

Dave, did ya try poppin off the steering wheel and recentering it, to align the way you want it??...........That may cure your problem?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 12:41 PM

Originally Posted By: redlineSS
Dave, did ya try poppin off the steering wheel and recentering it, to align the way you want it??...........That may cure your problem?

I'll probably have to do that.

I've never popped the steering wheel off before; Is there that much leeway in terms of orientation when putting the wheel back on?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 01:11 PM

Top end is splined on shaft, just re-orient steering wheel and center it. Go over to Steves, and practice on old stuff!

You will need a puller and a lock plate compressor. Not too hard to do!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 02:00 PM

I ran into the same issue with my upper bolt, so I used a long one that was a bit smaller in diameter, and put lockwashers and double-nutted the end so it wouldn't loosen up. Besides, that thing is so tight when going on over the column, I can't believe it would go anywhere. I had to pound that sucker on!
Posted By: Crusher

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 02:52 PM

I ran into the same issue with my upper bolt, so I used a long one that was a bit smaller in diameter, and put lockwashers and double-nutted the end so it wouldn't loosen up. Besides, that thing is so tight when going on over the column, I can't believe it would go anywhere. I had to pound that sucker on!

Hey, get off the net and go to work on that addition.....

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 02:55 PM

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, Steve. Wouldn't happen to know the size of the bolt/nut that you used by any chance, would you?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/09 06:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Crusher

Hey, get off the net and go to work on that addition.....

LOL! We're waiting for the electricians to come back to hook everything up, then we have to wait for our final inspections. Won't be too much longer now!

Originally Posted By: SS Ninja

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing, Steve. Wouldn't happen to know the size of the bolt/nut that you used by any chance, would you?

Not offhand. IIRC, I took the one that came with the Jeep shaft and went to the hardware store and got one that was just undersized, so it would fit through the original hole without catching any threads.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/22/09 08:32 PM

I just thought I would add a note to say that it might be easier and safer to take a dremel or grinder and grind a little notch on the upper column instead of using the smaller bolt. It would then help lock the shaft in place since it is a pinch bolt vs a pass through...

And also a thank you to the guys that commented on how nice the shafts I sell look. I try to make then look good before sending them out...

Thanks

Aaron

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/22/09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted By: fivetodrive
I just thought I would add a note to say that it might be easier and safer to take a dremel or grinder and grind a little notch on the upper column instead of using the smaller bolt. It would then help lock the shaft in place since it is a pinch bolt vs a pass through...

And also a thank you to the guys that commented on how nice the shafts I sell look. I try to make then look good before sending them out...

Thanks

Aaron
Aaron, do you know the bolt size on these? I got one but it had no bolts. I think I am going to retap the threads too but I need to know what size to chase with and bolts to buy... If not, I will just take the shaft with me to the hardware store...
Posted By: madmax74

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/23/09 11:45 AM

I need to replace the boot over the upper joint of the intermidate shaft on my monte. Has anyone replaced thiers, if so were did you get the boot from? I have looked and can not find one.
Posted By: 87ChooChoo

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/24/09 12:06 AM

Mike's Montes has them - $12.99
http://mikesmontes.com/products.asp?cat=2681.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/24/09 03:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Gruvin84SS
Aaron, do you know the bolt size on these? I got one but it had no bolts. I think I am going to retap the threads too but I need to know what size to chase with and bolts to buy... If not, I will just take the shaft with me to the hardware store...

Send me your address (or call me with it (720) 933 7635)and I will send you both of the bolts! Just let me know which shaft you have. There are two types (This one) It takes the 7/16th's bolts

or this one? (it has a bigger gap and uses the 13mm bolts)

As I said earlier calling me on my phone is best followed by the yahoo mail address.

Thanks!

Aaron
Posted By: onecool86

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/25/09 02:18 AM

pm sent to fivetodrive
Posted By: PLANT PROTECTION

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/27/09 05:36 PM

Just installed my shaft today. Pulled it from a 94 Grand Cherokee. This particular shaft required zero modifications, a true bolt on. I run Hooker 2150s and have about 1/4" clearance between the #5 primary and the shaft. Not a bad mod for $15.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 05/01/09 12:05 PM

The first thing I did after getting my Monte home yesterday was to yank the old shaft off and put on the shaft I got from Aaron.It sure made a difference,the steering is much tighter,and it also looks much cleaner under the hood.It didnt take too long,maybe an hour all together,and was a bolt on.
Guy

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 05/01/09 08:24 PM

That is great to hear! Glad it worked out so great for you!

Thanks again for the business!

Aaron

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 05/01/09 08:51 PM

It was a pleasure doing business with you Aaron,thanks for all your help !!!
Guy

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 05/06/09 01:23 PM

Heres my new shaft installed.Looks much cleaner than the old one.
Guy
Posted By: MCSS84WHITE

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 05/06/09 09:56 PM

Talked to Aaron yesterday and ordered one. Can't wait! Looks real good Guy!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 07/30/09 12:57 AM

Originally Posted By: fivetodrive

I think that there is also a new (GM PART) upgraded bearing for the lower end of the steering column. I will try to find the post on SYTY.net that talks about it. It is actually for the s-10 but it may be applicable for you guys as well!

Aaron

Did ya ever find that post, I am interested in replacing that lower steering column bearing when I do the Jeep upgrade???

Post the GM part # when you find it please!...........Thanks
Posted By: Snowboi

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 07/30/09 01:54 AM

I plan to get one soon, what year and model to get the shaft from, I know its from a Jeep Cherokee, but I've heard from some people that it doesnt fit correctly all the time. Are there anything I may need after getting the Jeep shaft? Nothing from the Jeep or buy any new parts? I just want to make sure before I get it.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 07/30/09 01:49 PM

Richard, a 94 GRAND cherokee shaft will work. I picked one up yesterday. Compared it to my Monte shaft....WILL WORK!

Aaron, I found those part numbers for the steering column bearing upgrade. The improved bearing requires you to press in the new bearing onto the plastic holder, then R&R the original bearing at the bottom of the shaft. Going up tomorrow to order the parts!

Plastic adapter: GM#780-5822
Bearing GM#780-5700

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 07/30/09 01:54 PM

Dave, I just regreased my lower bearing and it is smooth now, never thought about a full replacement, lol

When I installed my shaft, I didn't get bolts so I took the shaft to the farm store and got bolts that were slightly larger(SAE instead of the stock metric) and re-tapped the holes to fit the new bolts. I did have to grind a slight depression where the bolt passes across the steering shaft but it was simple and went on flawlessly after that... This is a great upgrade!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 07/30/09 02:15 PM

I will try that FIRST, good Idea, Jeremy! I replaced the rag joint shaft last year with a Yard find, but it too is showing its age, so the Jeep shaft is the way to go!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 08/03/09 06:45 PM

Ground a groove in the shaft as suggested for the top bolt. Cleaned up the surrounding shaft and used a chisel to open up the clamp joint on the top of the jeep shaft. Greased it and it went on like clockworks!! Musta got a good shaft as it moved up and down freely to install.

This is another Monte MUST HAVE mod if ya ask me!!

Did get the "off center" steering wheel curse the same as Davy Ninja, but I will correct that by repositioning it on the splines next week!

GREAT upgrade!............Thanks Guys!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 08/09/09 02:26 PM

make sure to see that you have proper turning capability with you turn signals... they won't work/return properly if you have the starting point too far in one direction... this is corrected with tie rod length side to side, it may also correct the wheel placement. if not then pull it and turn it.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 08/10/09 06:42 AM

So, I went to a salvage yard about a week or two ago, couldnt get near the shaft in to the 94 Grand Cherokee's, man, I was so madd. Then a guy came up to me asking why I want that one so bad, I said I needed it for a project, he claimed the salvage yard I was at would sell it for $50. for a used one, I didnt have that kinda money really, so I just got some small stuff. But that just got me mad that it would be that much and that hard to get that one part. I'll try to find one on ebay or seomthing cheaper.
Posted By: Tunedss86

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 08/30/09 12:23 PM

Anyone heard from fivetodrive recently? I want one of these shafts too, but can't find one in the bone yard & can't get ahold of the guy selling them.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 08/30/09 01:34 PM

Heres Aaron's phone # 1 303 807 1735,give him a call.
Guy
Posted By: spacemanspif

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 08/30/09 07:26 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330351202746&viewitem=&_trkparms=tab%3DWatching

can anyone tell if this shaft is one that will work on out cars?

Mike

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/11/09 03:47 PM

Yes, that looks like the one, cant beleive nobody answered.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 09/28/09 11:58 PM

94 grand cherokee works, had mine on 2 months now!!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/07/09 10:44 PM

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Jeep-Gran...=item5ad3a8241c

Is this link one as well?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/08/09 02:42 PM

Originally Posted By: onecool86

Yes it is.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/08/09 03:30 PM

TPI Monte
thanks for the help.
Posted By: LSJM1

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/16/09 04:16 PM

I have a few of these ready to ship out I free up the slip joint {I use heat not a hammer!],make sure the u-joints move freely with no play,clean and paint them.I also only get the later model ones with the 1/2" bolts they clamp down better on the steering box side.The price is $45 shipped if there is still enough interest I have access to plenty more I don't want to buy them all and be stuck with them
Posted By: jaywos

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/16/09 05:18 PM

Originally Posted By: LSJM1
I have a few of these ready to ship out I free up the slip joint {I use heat not a hammer!],make sure the u-joints move freely with no play,clean and paint them.I also only get the later model ones with the 1/2" bolts they clamp down better on the steering box side.The price is $45 shipped if there is still enough interest I have access to plenty more I don't want to buy them all and be stuck with them

post them in the for sale section, i might be interested, pics would be nice!!!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/16/09 06:45 PM

I have a nice pic showing the joints but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to post it why can't it be as easy as over at turbo buicks?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/17/09 12:31 AM

You need a photobucket account, upload the picture, copy the "img" code and paste here. When you put your mouse over the image on photobucket the image code pops up.

I think you can upload pictures here, just not sure how.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/17/09 12:28 PM

OK thanks I'll do that later whem I get a chance
Posted By: TURBO

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/17/09 09:05 PM

I want one. PM me, please.
Posted By: Z65_Paul

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/18/09 03:46 AM

Jeff,
Is the newer 1/2" version the one with the larger gap between the clamp? What years did those come on?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/19/09 11:16 PM

89 through 96 are the best ones with the 1/2" bolts.I'm going to get some more good ones tommorrow

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/22/09 12:00 AM

Got it today. Looks great. Thanks

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/23/09 09:23 PM

Received and installed today, very satisfied, Thanks Jeff. Removing the shaft required a hammer to get the top joint off, but bottom half with splines slide right off. Installing the shaft was easy, just the top bolt that required some hammering. Once it got to the threads I was able to tighten it no problem.

Steering is super responsive in a good way, no slop... Now I feel like there is way too much body roll, time to work on suspension!!!
Posted By: shuend

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/26/09 06:04 PM

I would like to order one too. Who should I contact?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/27/09 05:24 PM

I have another 4 of these ready to ship again the price is $45 shipped my paypal is jtklmars@bellsouth.net thanks
Posted By: Duts87SS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/30/09 07:46 PM

My Ebay "93-98 Grand Cherokee Steering Shaft" came in this week. I used a die grinder to open it up at the firewall end, made a notch in the in the steering column shaft with the Dremel, and she bolted up like a charm. Total install, including fab, was probably two hours. The bolt threads in both ends of this particular shaft were 3/8-16 (I thought for sure they would be metric).

Comparing the Jeep shaft to the stock Monte shaft.

Modified and being installed. That's Anti-Seize in the opening; used it for lube as it was in arms reach.

Ready for the first test drive.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/30/09 10:58 PM

Did you have to do any modification like some of the others

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 01:25 AM

Only the ones I mentioned.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 11:56 AM

How much did you have to open up the steering shaft end with a grinder I usually get 91-96 regular cherokee shafts they don't need any grinding exept for the notch in the steering column shaft for bolt clearance also does the slip joint need to be freed up

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 01:14 PM

At least half of the ones in the yard I came across were the kind with the smaller shaft opening, I would just move along to find one that has the correct opening size for our cars but I suppose grinding it larger can work too.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 02:32 PM

Originally Posted By: PB86SS/87LS
At least half of the ones in the yard I came across were the kind with the smaller shaft opening, I would just move along to find one that has the correct opening size for our cars but I suppose grinding it larger can work too.
yea, it is nice to know that we could use either of the shafts with some mods...

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 03:11 PM

looks to me that 97 and newer on a regular cherokee went to the smaller top shaft but on the grand cherokee it seems hit or miss regardless of the year I usually leave the grand cherokee alone also because it takes longer to take one off,less room to work if it's got a v8 I'm going to have to get one to compare it to the ones I get because it looks different
Posted By: Z65_Paul

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 06:14 PM

Another tip.. the price at the yard may change depending on what you call it. Went to my local Pick-Your-Part. They have pre-set prices in their computer. First time around the guy didn't know what to call it so selected a "steering bracket". They cost me $14 each. Next time around, different guy.. selected "Steering Coupler" and I got the shaft for a wopping $6.50. You know what I'm going to call it next time when I approach the window!

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 06:40 PM

Paul, an honest man like you, I'm sure next time you make sure they look it up correctly. poke

LSJM1, there is quite a bit of difference in the size of the openings; had to remove about 1/2" total from side-side and top-bottom. If you have a vice, grinder/drill, and bits it's no big deal at all. I would have gotten the correct shaft to begin with, but didn't do enough research before I placed my bid on Ebay (advertised as 93-98 Grand Cherokee shaft). I paid ~$30 TTD, and now believe it was completely worth it.

The shaft fits nice and snug now, and it's amazing how much different the car is to drive with it.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 10/31/09 08:16 PM

Picked one up at the Pick and Pull off a '96 Cherokee. Walked over to the area where the G-body's sit, and found one that had the shaft removed, so I could do a trial fit. $10 was a good deal.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/01/09 03:46 PM

I wonder if the shaft would fit on a 3rd gen f-body

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/01/09 04:15 PM

3rd gen F shaft is a few inches longer than a G, I doubt it would fit.
Bob

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/06/09 01:50 PM

First off wanted to say thanks to FiveToDrive, for getting one to me.

I wanted to put my input in after the install of one of those Jeep steering shafts and driving with one for a while.

I put one in my 82 Buick Regal, on my YA GN steering box, I also have headers on my Buick 455 thats under the hood.

Awesome, lots of clearance!

Driving? well let me say I took my Regal down to TN back in Sept, to hang with the Guys from PRO-TOURING.COM and their anual "RUN THRU the HILLS" event.

Didn't do in any auto-crossing in it, but did do the TAIL of the Dragon, a 11 mile road with 318 turns, It performed flawlessly, nice n tight , no slop, and more road feel.

I really enjoyed actually driving my car for the first time, down and back, 6 hrs each way, and during the event.

Now I will point out I had to change steering boxes, before the event, my orginal GN box had a dead spot at center that I couldn't adjust out, so a low milage used one went in, thanks to the host of the event, BILL HOWELL from MUSCLERIDES.COM and the use of his awesome garage called the "TOY BOX".

So for those of you still sitting on the fence about it, go ahead and do it.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/06/09 11:48 PM

I just got mine back from the mechanic. I will say, a great improvement. I just put a rebuilt steering box on a while back, so everything is very tight.Thanks LSJM1 fast shipping and clean unit

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/07/09 12:52 PM

I have a s-10 manual box on my drag-street cutlass and the jeep shaft made a huge improvement it was almost unbearable to drive around before.I have 4 more shafts cleaned up and ready to ship
Posted By: BladeOfAnduril27

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/07/09 08:40 PM

I found one of these in the yard last week, and its frozen. I've been spraying it with PB blaster and beating it with a hammer and it's not coming loose. Any suggestions?

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/07/09 08:51 PM

I heated the outside of the larger of the two pipe sections with a propane tourch, about 60-90 seconds. That started it sliding, and a little lithium grease finished the job.

HTH

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/19/09 05:32 AM

Originally Posted By: Stg1Regal
First off wanted to say thanks to FiveToDrive, for getting one to me.

No problem! Sorry I was gone for so long. Life got in the way but I now have a few of these if you guys want them...

Originally Posted By: BladeOfAnduril27
I found one of these in the yard last week, and its frozen. I've been spraying it with PB blaster and beating it with a hammer and it's not coming loose. Any suggestions?

Heat it up with a propane torch like said above then turn the upper part of the shaft 90 degrees and take a piece of 2x4 and hit it with the hammer. It will loosen up and you will then be able to compress it. While it is still hot move it in and out about 20 or 30 times and lube it up with grease. Then you will be set!

Thanks and remember to call me if you want one. Aaron 720-933-7635
Posted By: whitess

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 11/21/09 06:18 PM

I just picked mine up from Aaron / fivetodrive. Very cool can't wait to put it in. smile
Larry.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/18/10 09:32 PM

With these steering shafts, I heard it's best to notch our steering coloumn shafts so the clamp bolt fits better?

Noticed when mine is being tightened down it wants to slip down the coloumn shaft abit, little to close to the edge for my tastes. ( but seems to hold well?)

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/18/10 09:54 PM

The reason for the above question is this from TurboBuick.com

Quote:
The shaft is a direct fit the only grinding is for the top bolt which slightly touches the steering column shaft most peeps tap the bolt in with a hammer and get it started with no grinding I found it easier to slide tha shaft up and mark it where the bolt hits slide it back off and grind-it takes about 30 seconds of grinding with a die grinder then you can put the top bolt in and get it threaded by hand not a big deal either way 84-96 shafts on regular cherokee all work early ones have 7/16 bolts later ones have 1/2 bolts
Grand cherokee most of them have smaller opening for the upper shaft and will not fit without a lot of grinding.This is a cheap mod that you can feel the difference even if the jeep shaft has a small amount of play in the joints or shaft where they slide together

at this thread
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/brakes-...ring-shaft.html

thanks

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 02/19/10 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Stg1Regal
With these steering shafts, I heard it's best to notch our steering coloumn shafts so the clamp bolt fits better?

Noticed when mine is being tightened down it wants to slip down the coloumn shaft abit, little to close to the edge for my tastes. ( but seems to hold well?)
make sure your shaft is extended all the way up, may need to smooth the inside of the connector a bit so it stays fully extended while tightening
Posted By: jeff83sssc

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/30/10 03:56 PM

Originally Posted By: Duts87SS
Paul, an honest man like you, I'm sure next time you make sure they look it up correctly. poke

LSJM1, there is quite a bit of difference in the size of the openings; had to remove about 1/2" total from side-side and top-bottom. If you have a vice, grinder/drill, and bits it's no big deal at all. I would have gotten the correct shaft to begin with, but didn't do enough research before I placed my bid on Ebay (advertised as 93-98 Grand Cherokee shaft). I paid ~$30 TTD, and now believe it was completely worth it.

The shaft fits nice and snug now, and it's amazing how much different the car is to drive with it.

This same thing happened before to me, I've got the same shaft and gonna finish opening it up tonight.
Posted By: oemtech

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 03/31/10 04:14 AM

Be aware that the shafts are "staked" and makes them difficult to move in/out by hand.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/15/10 10:27 PM

93-94 grand cherokee shafts are the best they have a better rubber joint
Posted By: syclonesuper

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/11/11 05:44 AM

i just did my monte and syclone also wow what a difference thanks for the post
Posted By: LS-WITH-AN-LS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 04/11/11 08:48 AM

who has one for sale
Posted By: Tunedss86

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 05/20/12 12:51 PM

I picked up one yesterday and both ends fit on the Monte fine, but I can't get the thing the compress. Any suggestions?
Posted By: LM7monteSS

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 05/20/12 01:25 PM

Shop press. Do not use a hammer. Once it breaks free you usually can move it by hand.
Posted By: 84ss355*4spd

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 01/14/13 05:23 PM

I picked one up from my local yard. it was from the box style jeep grand cherokee limited. the column end fits snug. have not tried to hook to splines yet but im sure it will bolt right up. man those jeeps are tight to work on glad i have my ss. the shaft has a 4889 stamped on it if tjat helps anyone.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 01/17/13 10:14 PM

trying a press at work to unstick the shaft

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 01/18/13 06:23 AM

Thanks to all who helped. i finally got the shaft to compress thanks alot!!! i will install it in the next day or two let ya know how it ends up thanks mat.

Re: Intermediate shaft upgrade on flea bay - 01/19/13 08:29 PM

installed the shaft without a hitch. now i want to adjust steering box. the shaft moves left and right from centre but doesnt move box till it gets to a certain point . basically if that makes sense its loose on centre i guess i should say. which adjustment fixes this? i heard from mc aero that there are two that can be done on a gm steerimg box
© 2021 MonteCarloSS.com Message Board