MonteCarloSS.com

Headlight assembly

Posted By: SickSpeedMonte

Headlight assembly - 01/10/18 01:01 PM

I need to replace the plastic piece that holds both headlights on the driver's side. The adjustment screws clip into it, but I don't know what to call it. I was thinking 'headlight bucket', but I think that's the stamped metal piece that the sealed beam sits in.

Is this the same for LS's, SS's, CL's, etc? Or do the 1-piece LS headlights use a different one?
Posted By: PB86SS/87LS

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/10/18 02:15 PM

Hmm, picture?

There is the fiberglass "headlight bucket" that holds everything in, unless it's something smaller that's inside of it.
Posted By: Hunter79764

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/10/18 03:05 PM

I might call it "Headlight trim ring", but I don't know if that helps. Maybe Bezel?
Posted By: Monte_ExpreSS

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/10/18 05:04 PM

http://www.mikesmontes.com/Fiberglass-Headlight-Housing-Set_p_491.html

This? If so, those are SS specific.
IIRC lauren engineering makes replacements for celebrity headlight conversions

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/11/18 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by Monte_ExpreSS
http://www.mikesmontes.com/Fiberglass-Headlight-Housing-Set_p_491.html

This? If so, those are SS specific.
IIRC lauren engineering makes replacements for celebrity headlight conversions

That's it, thanks, Hoping I can find a fender and headlight housing locally used. Good to know that it must be from an SS. Hit a damn deer in the '86

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/11/18 07:11 PM

Pro tip(always wanted to say that): the Monte SS headlight buckets are simply 3rd gen Camaro ones cut by GM(there's are one piece, middle section cut out for the MCSS), if you find one of those and cheap enough it could work as a replacement. This is what I've seen/heard from reputable sources anyway not first hand experience, yet.
Posted By: Monte_ExpreSS

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/11/18 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by PB86SS/87LS
Pro tip(always wanted to say that): the Monte SS headlight buckets are simply 3rd gen Camaro ones cut by GM(there's are one piece, middle section cut out for the MCSS), if you find one of those and cheap enough it could work as a replacement. This is what I've seen/heard from reputable sources anyway not first hand experience, yet.

Realt? Never heard that before, Im going to have a look next time Im at the local yard. I know theres two 3rd gens sitting up there.

Originally Posted by SickSpeedMonte

That's it, thanks, Hoping I can find a fender and headlight housing locally used. Good to know that it must be from an SS. Hit a damn deer in the '86

That sucks. Good luck with the repairs
Posted By: upflying

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/11/18 08:00 PM

How is the deer?
Posted By: 84ss355*4spd

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/18/18 03:38 AM

Im going to look on my 85 z and see if its that simple .deer is probably road kill lol.i would make sausage

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/25/18 12:23 PM

Interesting about the F-body. Aren't ours one piece too though? Or do you mean one piece for both sides?

I found a fender and picked it up last week. It's in pretty good shape. I also have doors and some quarter panel patches that need to go on, so I think I will do all of that and repaint the whole car in the spring.

The deer went down for the count. It ran from the other side of the road, I hit the brakes when he was on the far shoulder and started to ease toward my shoulder. I locked up the rear brakes and by the time I could pedal it, I hit it in the shoulder. It went down and spun around 2-3 times, coming to rest in the oncoming traffic side. There weren't any other cars on the road at that point. By the time I could get pulled over and got out of the car, another car came the other way and ran straight over it and kept on going. I couldn't believe that... they must not have been paying attention. It must have tore up their car because you could hear plastic crunching. I was debating whether or not to try to put the thing in my trunk or call a buddy with a truck and my wife (behind me in the SUV) called the non-emergency number and reported it. They told us to head home, so we did. I've since learned that there probably wasn't much good meat to save anyway after all that trauma. I'm not a hunter, but I know a lot of guys who are.

Posted By: 84ss355*4spd

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/25/18 02:07 PM

Ya i wouldnt eat it lmao. I was just messin around .basically saying i would eat it for wrecking my baby lol. Tje headlight buckets are individual .i just fixed the 86 i just got in summer .some one had a minor femder bender amd i r3placed the airbox amd one headlight bucket off another ss .

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/25/18 02:14 PM

The Camaro headlights are a one peice setup, a bar or brace connects both sides. Looking at pictures in addition to what I have heard, the SS headlight bucket itself is the same, just with the middle part cut out, possible a little trimming on the ends too, but you can clearly tell GM just took from that part and made it work when designing the SS when looking at both.
Posted By: mmc427ss

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/25/18 03:59 PM

Bernie, sorry to hear about the deer hit. In the 86 I came around a corner one night and a deer came running across in front of me, stood on the brakes, smelled rubber, and hit it in the left front. The deer bounced off the corner of the car, then stood there looking at me for a few seconds and ran off into the woods. The damage was another 20 spider cracks in the nose of the car. Lucky that was all the damage there was. I credit the upgraded brakes on the car for the minimal damage done. Also the reaction time when I was younger helped.

You know that here in PA we are close to the top of the list state wise for deer hits.There's a bad diner laying on the side of most every busy highway here.
Bob
Posted By: MC96

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/26/18 07:51 PM

I have both headlight buckets with the headlights still in them. I know one has a tear in the bottom of it, I can check which one later tonight when I get home.

I want rid of all of it, just taking up space. $20 plus freight? If youre still needing it that is...

Re: Headlight assembly - 01/27/18 12:18 PM

I didnt stand a chance missing this one, it all happened very quickly. I went over in my head what I could have done better, but I think I minimized the damage. Trying to go behind it probably would have resulted in hitting it square and it coming up on the hood into the windsield. Oh well, the damage isnt terrible.

Originally Posted by MC96
I have both headlight buckets with the headlights still in them. I know one has a tear in the bottom of it, I can check which one later tonight when I get home.

I want rid of all of it, just taking up space. $20 plus freight? If youre still needing it that is...

Deal! I’ll send you a PM
© 2022 MonteCarloSS.com Message Board