MonteCarloSS.com

1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap

Posted By: jmireles

1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/09/14 11:22 PM

I hope this is in the correct section. I will be starting the tear down process. I'm not sure if the members here want to see those pics, since many here have done them multiple times.
Posted By: Monte_ExpreSS

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/09/14 11:55 PM

Yes, sir post away with lots of pics. Im sure it will also allow us to better help you if you have any questions along the way.
Posted By: D-TownAero

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/10/14 12:12 AM

Let's see them and good luck along the way!
Posted By: cj84ss

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/10/14 02:37 AM

Post away. Always like to see projects come along and see the progress and work.
Posted By: BADD87SS

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/10/14 05:55 PM

Post away. I'm sure I'll learn a thing or 2.:)

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/15/14 12:39 AM

I'm planning on starting tomorrow. Does anyone have a preference as where to start?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/16/14 03:48 AM

Well since no one chimed in with their opinion, I decided to start with draining the radiator.

The radiator out of the car...just 13 months ago, I replaced the radiator, water pump, fan belts and fan clutch.

About to separate the heater core hose from the water pump

Disconnected Accelerator cable and Power booster vacuum hose.

Lastly, unbolted the engine ground strap.

Posted By: D-TownAero

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/16/14 04:38 AM

I would remove the hood, fenders and nose piece so its out of the way and you have alot more access and you can clean up everything once engine is out. Good start though keep us posted.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/17/14 12:22 AM

I may yet remove those.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/17/14 07:44 AM

Here's a bit of an update:

I worked all day and just finished up today's work about half hour ago! I guess I work a bit slow, but at least I know everything is being done correctly. Plus, labeling all of the disconnected wires and hoses takes time. smile

Care for a sip? LOL!

Not looking forward to spending several hours underneath the car.

Decided to empty the engine oil and some of the tranny oil.

Separating the Cat from the rest of the system.

Dropping the Y-pipe

Headers are a pain the butt!!

Does anyone know what this tan color vacuum hose goes to? It T's into the Cruise control.

Are there replacement plastic "inserts" for the tranny shifter bracket? Also can this shifter bracket be used with the 4L60e?

Tranny wiring harness has seen better days!

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/gm-muscle/ElPaso-20140216-00084.jpg[/img]

Motor mount bolts look great.

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/gm-muscle/ElPaso-20140216-00085.jpg[/img]

Can't say the same for the motor mounts!

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/gm-muscle/ElPaso-20140216-00086.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/gm-muscle/ElPaso-20140216-00087.jpg[/img]

With any luck I'll have the engine/tranny out tomorrow....goodnight fellas I'm beat!
Posted By: SSLance

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/17/14 12:46 PM

Yes you can get replacement bushings for the shift linkage but someone else will have to chime in about using it with the new trans. Keep up the good work, looks like you are making nice progress.
Posted By: Ole Blue

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/17/14 08:23 PM

As far as the tan vac hose, without seeing the entire area under the hood, do you have a vacuum ball and are the hoses connected to it? Possibly goes there.
My Cruise vacuum lines do not have that tee there.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/21/14 01:51 AM

I haven't done too much these last few days. I've been layed up with a nasty cold. Today is the first day in about 5 days that I have felt good. Hoping to pull the motor this weekend.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/23/14 06:56 AM

An update:

I finally managed to pull the engine and tranny out. I took a few pics but when I tried to post them, MonteCarloSS.com kept logging off. I logged on several times but no luck...kept getting kicked out. I can however, post messages on my phone.

Maybe tomorrow I'll have better luck.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/23/14 09:44 PM

Here are a few pics that I took last night...

In 214K miles, the car only quit on me once...charred ignition coil wire. A bit blurry, sorry.

Lots of clean up ahead...

Now for your input.
1. I'm planning on rebuilding the front suspension.
2. New seals on the steering geer.
3. Buying a Grand National AC condenser.
4. Replacing evaporator and Resealing HVAC box.

What order should this be done?
How do I start sorting the harness? i.e. the wires I'll need to keep and clean up and the ones to separate.
Posted By: JAWSS

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/14/14 02:11 AM

Awesome build so far, I think you are doing it all in the right order. I would tear down the suspension, clean, degrease and paint the frame and firewall after the hvac box reseal. Then I would replace the motor mounts while the spring and shock is out of the way then re assemble it all. The nose, hood and fenders would come off for a thorough cleaning then I would black out the whole engine compartment, inner fenders included

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/15/14 04:32 PM

Thanks Jawss, I've starting the suspension tear down to ease in cleaning....not to mention replacing all of the suspension parts. MOOG is expensive! I already bought the control arm bushings but that's about it. I also purchased boneyard S10 blazer spindles, hub, calipers and rotors...al for $125!

Here's a few pics of yesterday's work:

About to drain the caliper and master cylinder.

Removed the sway bar stabilizer link. You can see the shock absorber on the ground as well.

Tie rod end separated...a couple of whacks with a tie rod end separator was all that I needed. The upper ball joint was a totally different story! Lol!

I used a wire brush, then a wire brush bit with my hand drill to remove the crud and expose the rivets. I used a punch to start drilling them out.

Originally, I was going to remove the coil spring before removing the ball joints but I just couldn't get in there. Plus, I found that I had to completely take the spring compression tool apart and then install within the coil...pain in the a$$!

Final look of the carnage....

I think I may have to remove the steering shaft to remove the upper control arm. As far as the lower control arm, I will call around to see how much it is to have the lower ball joint pressed out. I could go to Harbor Freight and purchase their 12 ton hydraulic press...only $130. I'm financially exhausted for this month! Lol!

Let me know what you guys think.
Posted By: Joe87monteSS

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/15/14 09:12 PM

You may be able to tap those upper control arm bolts out to remove the UCA. But if you don't already have one, get an upgraded steering shaft from MC87SS on this site. Located in the Rolling chassis parts for sale section.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/15/14 10:14 PM

Very nice progress, I second the steering shaft upgrade, the 86, 84 and 96 Roadmaster all got them. The road feel is amazing in comparison to the rag joint steering shaft.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/16/14 08:38 AM

Joe and Jawss,
Thanks for the steering shaft upgrade. I was looking into it today. What years is that Jeep steering shaft from?

Jawss, does that '96 Buick have the LT1 in it?
Posted By: RELL88SS

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/17/14 02:59 PM

I also used a 4l60 with my swap.

Used 1" setback adapter plates with CTS-V oil pan. Had issues getting the motor in with the frame pads bolted to the frame and trying to get the clam shells to rest over them, lifted the motor at plenty different angles and nothing worked well for me.

I ended up with the adapter plates bolted to the motor, then clam shells bolted to those, then placed the frame pads into the clam shells and dropped the moror down with everything together at once, was easier getting it in there without scratching the xxxx out of my firewall not to mention putting any more holes in my HVAC box.

I also could not use the old chain method to drop the motor in, there is like no room to bolt a chain to the back of the head when placing the motor in. Even if you got the motor in I would be curious how the hell people are removed the bolt and chain afterwards. I dented the firewall a little trying that method. I bought a LS1 valley cover lift plate to drop motor an tranny in, worked out great.

If you go with these 1" setback adapter plates notch the AC box if you did not already know.

Used fbody pacesetter headers like everyone else that uses 1" setback. They fit, but I had to do some mods for them to fit great or at least much better.

Far as the wiring goes, I'm using dakota digital VHX gauges so on the engine harness side for the firewall connector I de-pinned and removed all the wires except the two red power wires and the purple starter wire, everything else got removed and tossed in the trash.

Used a 4l60e G-force transmission crossmember, it did not line up with the trans mount or any of the frame mounting positions. I used the passenger sides farthest rear position, then driver side I had to drill new mounting holes to bolt it in.

You could use the factory crossmember but i suggest notching the driver side for exhaust, you will need to drill new mounting holes in the frame on both sides to reuse the original crossmember.

Drive shaft will need to be shortened, I still haven't taken that to get done so not sure yet how much will be removed.

Using a B&M 5ft shifter cable with the 4l60 and monte floor shifter. The detent plate on the factory shifter has a notch in it for every gear with the 4l60 except for 1st after playing around with adjusting it. I drilled a hole in the front of the shifter and used a threaded rod with 4 locking washers and 4 nuts to mount the cable to it.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/17/14 08:30 PM

Originally Posted By: jmireles
Joe and Jawss,
Thanks for the steering shaft upgrade. I was looking into it today. What years is that Jeep steering shaft from?

Jawss, does that '96 Buick have the LT1 in it?

Here's the info for the jeep shaft and yes my roadmaster does have the LT1 in it. It is a limited with the grand touring suspension, g80 posi rear from the factory and is an awesome color combo in my opinion.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/19/14 03:07 AM

Jawss,
I really like how that LT1 looks in the engine bay. I sold an LT1/4L60e out of a '95 Z28. I still need to sell the rest of the car! Lol! I was going to use that set up until I came across the LS2 deal....just too good to pass up.

RELL88SS,
I'm using 1" setback motor mounts from BRP. In addition to headers and Hummer LH8 oil pan. I'm also going with the G force tranny crossmember. It is not installed yet but I'm hoping things go smoothly.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/07/14 04:22 AM

I BENT THE DRIVER SIDE LOWER CONTROL ARM!! Not too bad but I think it is enough where things would be rubbing, where full range of motion is needed....DAMN!

I bought a 12 ton hydraulic press from Harbor Freight for the ball joints and control arm bushings. The upper ball joint rivets were drilled out and popped out with a separator and the lower ball joints came out easy enough with the press.

The lower control arm bushings are a little tricky as they do not lend themselves to be driven out easily. They're driven in from the outside of the control arm, so you need access to the inside. I saw several methods on you tube to removing them but I wanted to use the press....jackass! It is not too bad but still needs to be straightened out. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Has anyone ever had to straighten out C.A.'s? How'd you do it?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/07/14 05:29 AM

I have spare lower arms but that distance is a pain. Pm me if you are interested. I love the LT1 but this is just a beater car right now. I don't blame you for going with an LS2. I'm driving an LS3 camaro and I have gears turning in my head.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/07/14 08:37 PM

I'll let you know about that control arm....I'm going to attempt to straighten it. I drove a '96 Camaro with the LT1/T56 and tickled myself silly driving it. I wanted to have that fun in my Monte.
That being said, in 2006, I test drove a GTO with the LS2/T56 and WOW was that fun. So much power!! I was approved for credit but got cold feet as I was still paying off my Buick.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/07/14 11:55 PM

Sounds good. I do not blame you for having cold feet. I will try to always stay car payment free if I can. It cuts deep into the fun money account when it's time to upgrade the old cars. I would love to drop an LS3 into the 1984 SS someday. I have way too much to get done on the Chevelle though. The TPI will have to do for now.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/08/14 04:42 AM

Not that the TPI is a bad motor...just wish it breathed better beyond 4K RPM.
I have an L98 in my '89 Iroc-Z and it has some pretty impressive torque. I added Edelbrock TES headers and a Borla Exhaust cat back.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 05/11/14 05:55 AM

Originally Posted By: JAWSS
I have spare lower arms but that distance is a pain. Pm me if you are interested. I love the LT1 but this is just a beater car right now. I don't blame you for going with an LS2. I'm driving an LS3 camaro and I have gears turning in my head.

A bit of an update:

Jawss, I was able to straighten the C.A. I also stripped both control arms down to the bare metal and painted them both. I've begun installing the lower ball joint and bushings. I'll try and post some pics tomorrow...maybe, since it's mother's day! lol

Earlier today, I ordered brake hoses, brake pads and tie rod adjuster sleeves. The Moog ball joints and tie rods came in about a week ago.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/24/14 02:12 AM

Another update....

I got some more work done but it has been slow in coming. smirk

I've recently had more incentive to do so, thanks to a nosy neighbor and a strict city ordinance. Even though my car is in a car port, I was warned by the city to not have it in a "junked state". Boy that pissed me off! Anyway I talked to the inspector who filed the report and was given a week more to get it finished....yeah that hasn't happened.
What I have done is the following:

Replaced the bushings and ball joints with MOOG products. I also stripped all 4 control arms to bare metal, cleaned them up and painted them. I was only going to clean up the frame but I noticed a fair amount of surface rust, so that needed to be dealt with as well.

It was not without incident though...

I smashed the crap out of my finger driving in the C.A. bushings!
Posted By: 84 ZZ4

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/24/14 08:57 PM

Damn! That looks like it hurt, and there was a whole lot of cussing and tool throwing going on.
At least you can be proud that the job got done right, and the restoration on the frame looks great! You do good work!
beer
Posted By: Onebadbowtie86

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/24/14 10:48 PM

Looking good!

Did you get your throttle body, harness and ECM from psi then? Sounds like this is the route I'm going to go with my ls2 swap also. Do you have any ideas on what your going to use for a throttle cable?

How much was everything from psi?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/25/14 01:07 AM

84 ZZ4,
The initial impact hurt like hell but shortly after that, I was worried I might have broken my finger. As a matter of fact, my finger went completely numb! I finally had feeling in it about 3 days after it happened. laugh
Thanks for the compliment...I'm doing things semi-correctly. The inner fenders will be coming out soon, however I needed to finish up the suspension part as soon as possible to get the city off my back. I'm going to work on installing the motor mounts and cleaning up the firewall. I also want to clean up the HVAC. I'm not sure if I will be taking the evaporator to get flushed professionally or do it myself. As soon as money allows, I'm buying a condenser for a '87 Grand National, as they have the ports on the passenger side.

Onebadbowtie86,
Yes, throttle body, LS1 PCM and harness were from PSI. They also did the tune (Removed VATS, rear 02 sensors, programmed PCM for drive by cable, Lowered fan temps., programmed for 3.70 rear gears and 26" tire). I can keep the stock wheels or go with some 16" wheels from a '92 Z28; they'd both be 26" tall. I still need to order a PCM bracket...theirs mount on the inside of the vehicle; either under the dash or in the kick-panel.
As for the throttle cable, they do sell them but I have a throttle cable from a '95 Z28 with an LT1. I'm going to see if I can't get it to work. If not, then I'll go with the one they have. Everything came out to around $1,100.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/25/14 01:12 AM

Thanks! Any idea if the ls1 computer will fit in the factory position in the passenger side kick panel, also where's the fuse block mount at, inside the car as well?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/25/14 01:50 AM

I'm going to attempt to mount the PCM in the stock location but that it still some time away. You need to remove the driver side inner fender and remove the old harness and computer, obviously. Also, you need to drill a 2" hole for the new harness to go through. The new harness comes with a rubber grommet for the firewall. I believe the fuse block is supposed to mount in the engine compartment.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/14 05:35 PM

Very nice progress Jose!!

That finger looks like it hurt a good bit, I have scars that are very similar to that type of injury. I am glad it wasn't broken, that slows down progress greatly. The suspension and frame looks amazing!! I really need to detail out the under carriage on one of the rides soon. I like the plan on shifting all of the HVAC over. If need be, a condenser from a cutlass works just as well on the passenger side. Great progress and it sucks to have the "man" breathing down your back while finishing your project.

J
Posted By: ls1_monte

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/14 08:44 PM

Could you put a temporary front on your car port so it is not visable?

Maybe those B-hole neighbors will leave you be

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/14 11:19 PM

When I spoke to the inspector who filed the report, he said that all four tires had to be on the car and it could not be supported by jack stands. I've got one side done and put together but I am currently working on the other side.

I've just about stripped the frame (firewall forward) down to the metal. I should have it put back together early next week. I have it dummied up to where it looks like its on all four!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/30/14 07:01 AM

I thought I'd share some of the work I did today:

The chassis paint seems to bond better when I use primer.

I'll be removing those fuel lines soon enough.

And this is what's going in pretty soon...not soon enough!!

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/gm-muscle/ElPaso-20130921-00277.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/gm-muscle/ElPaso-20130921-00278.jpg[/img]
Posted By: 406monte

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/30/14 03:34 PM

Ah me likely the shiney motor. beer Looks like the frame is coming along. I did the same when I Chassis Blacked my frame.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/30/14 06:53 PM

I'm just about done and about to start assembling the passenger side suspension and steering. I've also removed one of the inner fenders but need to do the other. I wanted to clean them up and put 'em back in but I need to figure out what to do with the wiring.

I have to be honest here, I am somewhat in the dark when it comes to wiring and electronics.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/01/14 01:29 AM

Looks good, I've been doing the same and it can seem never ending.

Keep up the good work

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/02/14 11:39 PM

I finally finished up and got the car on all four tires. I'm going to finish the breaks tomorrow and get to the tie rod ends too. I'll see if can squeeze cleaning up underneath the car before I leave to Canada for two weeks. laugh

I should probably get to the wiring next....now I'm not sure as to how to approach it. smirk

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/29/14 12:47 AM

Well, I got back from Canada last Wednesday...had a great time! Within three days of coming back I caught a stomach bug from one of my nephews. Not a fun two days.

So aside from being broke until the end of the week (Canada is expensive!) and trying to get my guts to be happy, I'll try and get some work done.

By the way, I'll need to post some pics I took at a car museum of sorts in Murdo, SD. It was pretty cool!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 08/05/14 04:16 AM

Today I loosely installed motor mounts (Chassis) as recommended by BRP hotrods. I also ordered a GNX style back seat brace, 4 wheel disk brake proportioning valve. With any luck, I'll be installing those this weekend. I am also looking into ordering body mount bushings and a front brace, tying together the frame rails.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 08/29/14 04:25 AM

Well, after about 3 weeks, I ordered body bushings and that front brace. I'll be working on that in the next couple of weeks...in addition to an upgraded steering shaft. I'll post pics when I begin the work.

Suggestions on the work ahead?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/14/14 03:28 AM

What is this connecting the two harnesses? It is from the harness that goes to the computer. Can I separate these two so I can completely remove the computer harness?

From the kick panel inside: It seems that the top group of wires goes to the instrument panel. Where should I cut...I intend to use the check engine light with the new motor/computer.

Thanks guys for your help.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/28/14 10:37 PM

Another update:

Not much of an update...Lol! I've been pretty busy with work lately, which has really limited time with the car. Anyway, here are a couple of pics of the motor mounts and steering shaft upgrade.

By the way fellas, I still have a few questions that I posted a couple of weeks ago that have gone unanswered.

Help is needed and appreciated!

Thanks

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/29/14 12:16 AM

That connector I'm not 100% about off the top of my head but, plenty have pulled the complete computer harness out of their cars.

YOu should be able to trace it back on one side or the other to find what it is for sure. Get yourself a electronic service manual supplement, they are invaluable for ANY wiring/vacuum jobs.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/29/14 12:28 AM

I completely forgot I had the supplement...sure enough, I do. I will take a look right now. Thanks

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/05/14 03:54 AM

I looked through the supplement manual and I have a bit more insight but it still a grey area...as I said before, I find electrical work daunting!

Another update:
Yesterday, I received the TANKS Inc. installation kit. Soon enough I'll take the fuel tank down and install it.

Things left to purchase are:
1)Buick/Olds style a/c condenser
2)Electric Fans, shroud, relays, and electrical harness.
3)Transmission slip yoke and driveshaft.
4)Cat-back exhaust system with dual cats.

There are of course, many other smaller items that will surely arise! LOL

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/25/14 05:11 AM

An update:

I've already received the Buick style AC condenser, Electrical harness for the fans and the cooling fans. Haven't been able to afford the driveshaft and yoke or the Cat-back system. I've got the Monte on wooden blocks, raising it about 10 inches off of the ground...plenty of room for me to get underneath and start on those body bushings.
I'm also going to finish cleaning up the underside to paint. I'll post some pics tomorrow.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/25/14 05:40 AM

Whats the tank Inc parts do? are you putting that assembly in your stock tank instead of using a baffled tank?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/25/14 07:04 AM

It is using your existing stock tank and inserting everything necessary to convert to fuel injection, including the baffle.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/26/14 01:45 AM

So it comes with a sending unit,fuel pump and regulator and you don't need to modify the tank? How much did that cost?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/26/14 04:32 AM

Not the sending unit...you use your existing one. The regulator is also the filter. It is an early LS1 '97-03 Corvette style. When mine needs to be replaced, I was told to purchase one from a '99.
You do need to modify the tank. You need to drill a 4" hole at the top to insert the baffle and pump, then you need to drill holes at the top to go along with the holes on the top plate where you either bolt or rivet to the tank. You also can order some of the fittings you see in the picture above. I think I paid about $340 with shipping.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/26/14 01:41 PM

That is a really interesting way to convert to an electric fuel pump...

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/27/14 06:49 AM

Here are a few pics of yesterday's and today's work. I realized today, that I detest removing grease and dirt from the body/frame! I'm just about done with the underside of the car...soon enough, I'll paint. I didn't get any photos of the work done to the floor pans but I have these to share:

Removed the bumper to prevent damage....also those speed nuts make it a pain in the butt!

Dropped the fuel tank to have easier access to the differential and also to clean up the chassis. Not to mention to get started on the conversion to fuel injection.

Is getting impatient waiting for its new home!

I also wanted to add that I had no problems taking the bushing bolts out...I did soak them with PB Blaster for three days before starting to wrench on them. I hope the driver's side goes as easily.
Posted By: Hunter79764

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/06/14 07:36 PM

That gives me hope that mine won't be rusted out like a lot of these other guys in other states. (mine spent the first 23 years in Odessa with less rain in that time than some of you guys get in a year)

Good progress!
Posted By: Glynn

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/09/14 05:14 PM

I've only been on MCSS forum for a few days, but this is some inspiration right here. I have been thinking about installing an LS and 4L60e at some point in mine, but so many people have been negative toward the 4L60e and getting the electronics and fitment working I have been second guessing. Can't wait to see this setup go in. A lot of the threads on this stuff are ancient as well. Happy to see you doing it up right and right now! It looks great so far as well. Keep us updated for sure.
Posted By: 345HP87SSAC

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/09/14 07:33 PM

Looking good Jmireles. Keep it up. Keep the posts coming.

Glynn do not be afraid of the LS swap. There are so many quality parts including wiring all you have to do is pop open the check book. haha. I have been running a LY6 and $l85E for several years now. I had some glitches at first but that was because of the install. Since then my only hiccup is air co seals on the compressor/pressure line. I even am running the drive by wire love the swap.

I can even pull out over 20mpg and I made decent HP/TQ numbers.
Posted By: White_Wizard

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/13/14 12:04 AM

Things looking good i am really interested on the fuel pump mod as i am installing a powerjection unit on a 383 sbc. I have been looking at a few different options, using a GN fuel pump sending unit or modifiying a 99 camaro fuel module in the tank, would like to see some pics and the finished product when you are done.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/14/14 07:18 PM

Yes, I'll post some pics of my fuel tank...I need to get back under the car to finish removing the rest of the dirt and crud. As mentioned before, I get very lazy when it comes to that work! Lol! Anyway, soon enough. I'm also replacing the piston and gaskets to an air compressor, so we'll see how much time that eats up.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/21/14 12:38 AM

Well, the other side's body bushing bolts came out came out fairly easy. I also removed the #6 and #7 bushings...I'll get to the rest tomorrow. Let's see how much I can get done in the next two weeks.
Posted By: somcamaross

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/24/14 01:33 AM

Originally Posted By: Glynn
I've only been on MCSS forum for a few days, but this is some inspiration right here. I have been thinking about installing an LS and 4L60e at some point in mine, but so many people have been negative toward the 4L60e and getting the electronics and fitment working I have been second guessing. Can't wait to see this setup go in. A lot of the threads on this stuff are ancient as well. Happy to see you doing it up right and right now! It looks great so far as well. Keep us updated for sure.

Dont even think twice about it. I pulled my supercharged SBC out and put a 300k mile 5.3 in and I would do it over again in a heartbeat. Sold my SBC for $4500 and bought the LS (and all the items required to swap) for about $1400 total. Did a cam swap a month ago that took me two (Yes 2!) hours to complete. Use a PSI conversions harness that I had plugged in and running an hour after receiving it in the mail.

Do the swap and never look back!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/25/14 11:44 PM

Just wanted to share some of the work that I've done before I go stuff my face some more! Lol Merry Christmas, Boys!

A couple of shots of the floor pans...stripped of crud.

The dreaded #2 bushing that always seems to be rotted out. The first two pics are just after I removed the bushing.

As you can see, there is some rust and it is pitted but by no means is the metal thin or compromised. The next few pics are what it looks like after taking the Dremel to it, priming and painting.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/31/14 05:10 PM

So yesterday was a weird day of set backs and triumph...

I should have guessed things would frustrate me when the oil filter I bought was not for the LH8 oil pan. I bought a PF46 for an '06 GTO but the other uses a PF 48! D.amn!

The alternator recommended to by PSI Conversion was that from an Fbody LS1 because the stock GTO alternator would hit the steering gear. I was able to get the alternator mounted but I had to remove the plastic cover! It wouldn't clear the rear bracket and the rear bracket wouldn't line up with the alternator!!

I proceeded forward nonetheless with getting the engine/tranny in there. I had to unbolt the AC compressor in order to bolt in the leveling device...I feel it is way safer than using a chain.

Finally in and resting in its new home!

The next few pics are of the motor mounts...in one of the other pics, you can notice I had to remove the alternator to clear the steering gear. I should be able to install and replace from below.
I didn't think there was that much of a weight difference between an iron 305 and an aluminum LS2....but there is. Take a look at stance!

Help, suggestions and advice are needed and appreciated.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/31/14 06:08 PM

Looking good! Did you install the engine and tyranny at the same time ?

You need the rear alternator mount from an. Ls1 car. There only. $15-$20 on ebay.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/31/14 08:03 PM

Yes, they both went in at the same time. It was a little tricky since the boom on the lift is a bit short and I didn't want to remove the front clip.I had help and made sure we didn't bang up the car or put holes in the HVAC.

Oh, thanks by the way on the bracket tip. I'll take care of that today. I'll be on the lookout to see which hoses work best for the swap (Radiator/power steering)

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/03/15 02:17 AM

Today I made some progress but much of the day went to running back and forth, getting parts. I tracked down that rear alternator bracket locally from a kid who sold it for $5. I haven't snugged down the bracket to the block because I still need to get a bolt for the rear of the alternator.

From this picture, it looks as though the pulley is hitting the steering gear but in truth it clears.....BARELY! We're talking, maybe 1mm!

Here's a better pic showing the slight space.

There definitely is no room to put the belt on; not without loosening up everything. That includes the alt bracket.

Also, I should note that to install the alternator, you must do it from underneath the car. This is only if you're using the stock GTO accessory brackets. You must also turn the steering wheel hard over counter-clockwise to get the pitman arm out of the way and provide a small clearing. Lastly, I had to loosen the bolt that holds it to the block (without there being the two bolts that go through the alternator, through the bracket and into the block).

I may still slightly grind down the steering gear to clear a little space for the belt to go on without having to loosen the alt. bracket and assembly.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/03/15 02:33 AM

how far of set backs are those mounts?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/03/15 06:41 AM

1" set back. Look at BRP Hot Rods.

http://www.brphotrods.com/products/78-87%20G%20body%20products/index.html

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/11/15 04:55 AM

I may have hit a snag in getting this project together. It may be that the long tube Husler headers by Hedman will interfere with the column linkage to the tranny. I haven't confirmed this but in my conversation with BRP, they said most have had issues while a few had none. I'll just have to do some test fitting. I hope I don't have to sell off the headers in order to keep things simple. I was thinking about LS3 Camaro manifolds in that event.

Anyway, here is some of the progress made recently:

I installed the throttle cable bracket needed for an LS2 that was originally drive by wire. I also received the throttle cable from a non-traction controlled 2002 Trans Am.

Olds radiator top plate arrived as well.

Here's the Buick Grand National (Regal) style AC condenser and finally installed.

I wasn't able to finish installing the radiator since the top plate did not come with the rubber insulators to keep it in place. I called the big three...Autozone, O'Reilly and the Boys but none of them had them! I later looked in Autozones website and found them but not what OEM looks like. I found some on eBay...we'll see.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/19/15 06:43 PM

I had already done some wiring to the motor but DUH!!!, I should have read the instructions. There was no way I was getting the LS1 PCM connectors, fuse block and DLC through the stock 2" hole. So I had to disconnect everything and feed the harness from the inside out....how come there isn't any donkey emoticon Hee-Hawing? Lol

Pushing the new harness through.

I had to cut some wires from the old computer harness, since they seem to go under the dash. I assume its going to the dash board...low oil light, choke, check engine, etc.

Old harness...

New harness coming through.

I know I should have waited to connect the harness after installing the engine but I thought it would be easier to do it out of the car, so I paid a small price! I had to call PSI and order another alternator connector...Dumb-xxxx party of one, drive through! Lol

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/19/15 06:55 PM

Now for my problems. Here is where I need help, gentlemen!
I have a harness that has LS1 style knock sensor connectors but I have an LS2 with those 2 pin sensors.

I called PSI and told them of this. They said to simply install LS1 knock sensors into the LS2 locations. Will it simply thread on?

Also to get things even more confusing, the O2 sensor connectors look like the LS2 style, in other words 4 pins in a row. The LS1 style uses 4 pins but they're paired 2 on top and two on the bottom. smirk I need to find out which sensors to purchase.

Thanks guys.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/19/15 07:03 PM

Why didnt you just get a harness that worked with the gto sensors/throttle body and ecm? Just curious.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/19/15 07:52 PM

I wanted drive by cable, since I am not comfortable with electrical work, at all. I wanted it simpler, I guess. I ordered their HAR-1058 harness, which is the one recommended to me by them. This uses an LS1 PCM. They said LS1 PCM's are easier (more plentiful) to tune than are the LS2.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/19/15 07:56 PM

The dbw pedal and throttle body are only one connection? I was just curious since it was pretty economical to re-use all the stock stuff. A friend of mine is going to tune my car and said it wouldn't be a problem tuning the e40ecm with hp tuners.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/26/15 03:28 AM

So here's what I have done:

I wanted to test fit the Husler headers, just to see what I might run in to. Particularly on the driver's side, with long tube header interference and transmission linkage. Once I placed the Monte linkage bracket on the tranny gear selector shaft, I knew I had another issue.

The selector shaft is simply too long and when you install the bracket, you have interference with the floor! As a matter of fact, I could only shift the tranny from Park to Neutral. It would make contact with the floor when going to overdrive...forget even attempting D3,2, or 1.

Here it is in Neutral...

Here it is in Overdrive...

So after doing some research on LS1tech, I found out that some trannies have their safety neutral switch mounted to the gear selector shaft. Naturally, it needs to be longer. The solution is to install the selector shaft from a 98-'02 Fbody. I went to my local transmission supply shop and picked up what I needed.

Next, I dropped the oil pan and looked for the nut keeping the shaft in place.

Sure does look Purdy in there! Lol!!

Here's what it looked like after swapping out...

Lastly, I installed the oil pan and torqued down the bolts to spec (100 in lbs). So here it is with the bracket back on and in Park.

In D1 with plenty of clearance.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/26/15 03:30 AM

Unfortunately, I ran out of time and needed to tend to my truck's tailgate and replace a few worn parts. I'll try and get back to the header issue next week.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/08/15 01:30 AM

Now for an update:

Before I started working on headers I wanted to install the stock Monte oil sender. First, I drilled the LS1 oil cooler block off plate with an 11/32 bit.

I then used a 1/8 NPT tap.

Next was to remove the LS2 block off plate bolt the other on...

Hopefully it is tucked away enough to clear the header. Here are a few pics of the harness adapter I ordered from TPI Parts. It allows you to use an LS style water temp. sending unit but you are still able to connect to the Monte's stock water temp gauge. The sending unit used is from a '98 Fbody.

Here it is installed...

Now, I just need to splice the two wires together.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/08/15 06:55 PM

Will the ls water sender work with the montes stock gauge? I just used an adapter and put the temp sender for the gauge in the passenger side head.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/09/15 02:44 AM

I hope so!! Lol
I was told on LS1tech.com that it should work.

It appears as though the column shifter rod may clear the headers after all! I may have to slightly bend it for clearance but looking promising, nonetheless.

It's a good thing those Hedman headers come apart, otherwise I don't know if it would have gone in. I still need to clean up the rod, and insert the header gasket. Also, I'll take the collectors to a good budy of mine that is a master at welding to get those o2 bungs in.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/09/15 03:08 AM

I had to do my hedmans in3 pieces. Drivers side both went in from the bottom, passenger both in from top what engine mounts are you using, and how low do your headers hang?.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/09/15 05:11 AM

I was able to get the front half of the driver's side in from the top but the rear half had to go in from underneath. I haven't attempted the passenger side yet, since I was just looking to see if I would be able to use the column shifter rod.

I'm using BRP mounts but I'm not sure how low they hang...but they appear to be a little lower than the engine cradle. My Monte will be riding a little higher than stock, so clearance shouldn't be a problem.

What are you using?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/09/15 05:18 AM

Im using the ebay 1" setback plates and stock clam shells. Everything clears great but my headers are pretty low, look lower then yours. I might raise my engine up a bit to see if it helps my ground clearance.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/10/15 07:32 PM

What are you planning on using to raise the engine a little higher? Do you think it'll throw off your pinion angle?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/10/15 09:09 PM

Ya it would, I don't think I'm going to raid it for that reason. My trannys at 3* right now

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/23/15 02:35 AM

I haven't really done much lately. Lots going on at work and my brother came in from out of town to visit. I did manage to install the headers on both sides with gasket and torqued down. I haven't been able to get a hold of the guy who is going to weld the o2 bungs in to the collectors but I'll give him a bit longer before I take it to someone else. On a side note, it's been 1 year and two weeks since I started this mess!! LOL!

Getting the crank sensor connected isn't going to be any fun. I may just drop the starter.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/23/15 03:00 AM

Consider welding the 02 bung into the exhaust pipe after the header, so you dont damage the coating. Thats what I did.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/23/15 05:30 AM

Yeah, my stepdad kept telling me that, which is probably what I'll end up doing. I ordered o2 and knock sensors yesterday, so I'll find out soon if the PSI harness has enough slack in it to reach the o2 sensors after the headers or I'll need to order extensions.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/23/15 05:50 AM

It should. My harness from bp automotive had a ton of length for the 02 sensors.
Posted By: RenoReno2

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/24/15 12:34 AM

Jmireles-

Curious how that bracket is fitting and clearing? Mine is hitting the headers in the 1st position. All others clear, I haven't tried it with the rod to the column installed yet though

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/24/15 06:40 AM

The tranny gear selector bracket, right? The actual bracket clears just fine but once you attach the rod, I can't get passed drive without the rod making contact with the header. I have to look at it some more and possibly bend the rod some to see if it'll clear.
Posted By: 93lt1s10

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/24/15 05:59 PM

I need to get my rod installed. it's more than just a lockout so you cannot put the shifter into any gear at any time, right? Right now , I do not have it installed and would like to for st least the shifter not going into any gears
Posted By: RenoReno2

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/25/15 03:11 AM

Yes, I did call BRP about this and they told me the headers were designed to not use the rod to the column. Just trying to figure out what people were doing as I really want this to work.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/02/15 04:18 AM

Not much of an update but what the heck, why not?

I never would have thought I could get a better deal on AC Delco parts going through Amazon. Better deal than eBay or even Rockauto. $140 shipped....minus the angle finder.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/16/15 05:45 AM

I did quite a bit of work this last week! Getting the rear end out and cleaning underneath is a messy business. Lol! This is what was left after removing the differential:

Doesn't look too bad for having 214K miles on it.

After a few hours of scraping and using the angle grinder with a brush wheel, I was then able to clean things and prepare for primer and paint.

Too bad no one is really gonna look underneath to appreciate all of my hard work! Lol!!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/16/15 06:05 AM

Now on to the control arms and bushings...what a pain those bushings are! Anyhow, I stripped the control arms down to the bare metal just as I did with the frame. I then added primer and painted, again, not too many will notice the detail.

Next order of business was to install the QP 9", then add axles and disk brake kit.

A few more hours and the rear end was back together again.

Rear disk brakes!

There are still a few things I need to square away...
I need to get new lug nuts, as the stock nuts wont even clear the new studs. The sway bar seems to be making contact with the differential. I may need to buy an aftermarket replacement meant for a 9". The parking brake cables attach differently than do the stock drum brakes...I will need to modify the cable slightly.

Any suggestions?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/01/15 03:09 AM

I've made quite a bit of progress during the course of this swap, but it seems I have a whole crap load left to go!! I was making a list yesterday (ala Roadkill!)of all the things left to do on my project and have to admit to becoming a bit disillusioned. Oh well...

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/20/15 09:39 PM

I hate it when you have to tear apart something that took you a long time to put together because of a screw up!! Well, this last weekend, my stepfather and removed both axles off of the 9" to install a seal. Better that than to have gear oil all over the place....just a waste of time.

As a side note, there is a "ring spacer" that goes between the axle bearing and the plate that bolts everything together. Trying to get this ring in the slot when the E-brake assembly is together is kinda of a pain in the butt. It is sooo much easier to do without the E-brake pads, springs, etc. getting in the way. The problem with that is you can't instal all of that without pulling the damned axles!! What a P.ISS-POOR design!! After about 3 hrs, we figured everything out.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 05/14/15 06:17 PM

I haven't done a whole lot in the last 3 weeks or so but I have ordered more parts.I've had to do some maintenance on my truck, which has been neglected because of the Monte. Lol!

I will be working on the fuel lines soon, so this brings up this question:
How many of you have used the stock metal fuel line? I called Inline Tube and they said the line can handle something like 3,000 psi. Why do so many go with steel-braided, rubber hose?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 05/14/15 11:46 PM

I just have 3/8" metal line from the tank up to the firewall then fuel injection rubber line to the fuel rail. I double clamped everything with fuel injection hose clamps. Works and looks good to me.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 05/16/15 04:08 AM

Thanks for the info. I'm going to use the stock 3/8 steel feed line and then go rubber as well. I haven't kept up with your progress...I'll have to check that out!
Posted By: wrongway

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 05/20/15 11:16 AM

Hi jmireles,

I am enjoying reading your tread! It is helping me alot! I have a 87 monte ss and bought a ls2 from a rearended 2005 vette. I am most excited to get started. I hope your tread continues as I am learning alot

Thanks,
Darrell

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 05/21/15 03:33 AM

Thanks Darrell.

I've slowed down significantly in the last month because of life, work, etc. getting in the way. I hope to make some more progress in the next week or two. Also, there has been very little $ to use on my project...Lol!

Did you buy the wrecked 'Vette? Having the donor vehicle can make the swap much easier. I am looking forward to reading about your car.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/17/15 01:15 AM

Are there any guys here running a stock sway bar with a 9"? Lol! It does not clear and when it flexes, I'll probably hear/feel it in the car. I really don't want to get an aftermarket sway bar. I called Quick Performance and they said many guys don't use the sway bar at all with a 9" since it is much sturdier than the 7.5 unit. They also said that UMI Suspension has a bracket kit that drops the control bar down so that it clears the diff. That option requires welding.
One last thing they said I could do is fabricate a metal plate that bolts to the LCA's and drops the bar about 1.5".

Help, fellas.

A couple of pics...

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/20/15 08:09 PM

I'd still like to know if anyone is using their stock sway bar and a 9" diff.

I made just a little more progress today. I installed a front rail brace like the Turbo Buick guys use. The problem is that it bolts to the same exact place where the current braces are bolted. Those then also bolt to the center of the K-member under the oil pan.

Would there be any harm or benefit to drilling a hole to bolt down the original brace? I'd like to use both sets of bracing.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/15 05:54 AM

I must have cooties because I have asked several questions only to go unanswered. Oh well. At this point I am pretty much just posting as a means to organize myself and archive the work I've done.

Today I installed some of the parts that showed up. Those being the tranny dipstick tube, dipstick and seal. I've also got a tranny slip yoke on the way, so that I may get a precise measurement for the driveshaft I need. Anyway, here a few pics of today's work:

I ordered a dipstick tube for an '06 GTO. I was a little worried that it would not fit well but as you'll see, everything worked out perfectly!

This bolt securing the tube to the head is a PIA to install since you can barely get your hand back there!

Here it is when its all said and done...

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/15 12:13 PM

My 9" has a drain plug on the bottom and the stock sway bar wouldn't fit at all. I ran without one for a couple of years then later added the 1" hotchkiss bar which I still run today. It's just about the perfect rear bar for my setup anyway.

Regarding the front braces, I don't see any problem with stacking them if you can get everything to line up. I have the Gran prix bar under my radiator as well as the stock F41 jounce bars in the same holes on the frame...stacked on a few washers to keep the jounce bar off the sway bar and it all works fine. Just do what you have to do to get them mounted solid.

Keep up the good work, there are a few of us left that still view and post to the updates on here.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/15 01:37 PM

Thank you sir!!

I guess I'll be looking into getting a sway bar that'll fit the stock LCA's and clear the diff. I also want to get the UMI rear shock tower brace.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/15 04:23 PM

The hotchkiss 1" had works great and is pretty cheap too. I like my UMI control arms a lot as well

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/27/15 06:35 PM

This just came in...Racetronix fuel pump harness. There are still a few things I need to do the fuel tank before bolting it in and wiring everything.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/29/15 05:06 AM

So since the wiring harness is for an LS1 and the engine is an LS2, I can't use the stock knock sensor or the stock location. LS1 knock sensors have a bolt which is thicker than the LS2 bolt. Rather than to drill and tap the existing boss, I decided to use one of the motor mount bosses. [/color] Will I be ok using these alternate locations?

[color:#000000]

In this pic (driver's side), you can see the relocated knock sensor and the bolt where the original LS2 knock sensor was. I am somewhat worried as the header is real close to the sensor...I may have to use thermal wrap on the wiring.

Here are a few pics of the passenger side. This one shows the previous location, right next to the starter and oil dipstick tube.

Here's the place I decided to bolt in the new sensor. Its further front than on the other side but it is easier to get to and doesn't interfere with the headers.

What does interfere with the header is the starter solenoid. Even if I bend the terminal slightly, it is still alarmingly close!I haven't tried installing the heat shield yet but just as the other side, I may have to thermal wrap all wiring.

Is the thermal wrap enough?

Lastly, a pic of the LS2 knock sensors.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/29/15 07:24 PM

I contacted PSI about the location of the knock sensors and they said so long as they're bolted to the block, so its all good. I ended up ordering Oxygen sensor harness extensions. They'd be plenty long if they were shorty headers but no chance for long tube headers.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/30/15 02:14 AM

I hate headers...

I swear...if and I mean IF...I ever swap an LS into my car, it's getting the cast iron manifolds it came from the factory with.

Good luck, keep us updated on the progress.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 06/30/15 04:53 AM

Lol! I thought about selling the headers and getting LS3 Camaro exhaust manifolds. The only headers I haven't had trouble with were the Edelbrock TES on my Monte and IROC. Actually, installing the passenger side header on the Z28 was a nightmare. Lol!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/15/15 05:43 AM

Although I have not posted in about two weeks, I have been busy working on the car. Retrofitting the original fuel tank for EFI has been somewhat difficult and time consuming. I'll post some pics of that tomorrow or the day after.

Here are some pics of the driveshaft:

So I ordered a nice chromoly Tranny slip yoke from Hinson Motor Sports. When it came in, I measured from the center of where the u-joints go on the slip yoke and did the same on the pinion yoke. I got 51" and that's with the tranny slip yoke pulled out 1".

I then took the yoke and measurements to a local place and had them build my driveshaft.

After installing the driveshaft, I measured the pinion angle and came up with around 4 degrees.

So that's what I've got so far. I've also been messin' with the cooling fans and wiring. I've got to take photos of that too.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/15/15 10:53 PM

Would it be any help if you took off the bracket for the stock a/c compressor and will those bolt hole work for your sensors?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/15/15 11:31 PM

Thanks for the suggestion but I've already bolted the o2 sensors to the block. Not too far away from the originals.
Posted By: mmc427ss

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/16/15 01:38 AM

Speaking of driveline angles. Here's the best piece of info I've found, straight from the horse's mouth, Spicer.
http://www2.dana.com/pdf/J3311-1-HVTSS.PDF

Pinion angle is one thing but it's driveline angles that it's all about. At ride height measure engine angle, pinion angle and driveshaft angle. I'd have to go back to my records to see exactly what I run currently. But you should have about 1 degree less on the pinion than the engine. so if engine is 3 down, pinion should be about 2 up. The pinion will rise on acceleration. Depending on what arms, bushings, springs, shocks you use will determine how much, four links with hard bushings deflect less, solid bushings much less.

What works for pinion angle can vary from car to car, sometimes you need to tune the pinion angle to what works best on your car.

I've always been curious to what the engine angle on an LS swap is. Would think it may vary depending on which mounts are used, some are setback. Also getting the trans tailhousing up in the tunnel as high as possible will reduce the angle. What is your engine/trans angle? A stock SS engine sits somewhere in the 3 to 3 1/2 degree area. The variable is how the car sits at ride height, the rack being the variable.
Bob
Posted By: steve40

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/16/15 01:47 AM

Originally Posted By: SSLance
I hate headers...

I swear...if and I mean IF...I ever swap an LS into my car, it's getting the cast iron manifolds it came from the factory with.

Good luck, keep us updated on the progress.

Or get the hooker mounts and headers

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/16/15 01:57 AM

What did you end up using for a pump and sending unit? I ordered one from racetronix and have been waiting and waiting.

Also for pinion angle, tremec has an app to check it. I set the motor/trans at 4 degrees down to the rail under the floor.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/16/15 03:27 AM

Thanks Bob. I really hadn't thought about checking all those angles that closely but I will definitely do that. I'm going with stock suspension and all new MOOG rubber. The car is currently on all four tires...there might be some weight missing from the front but not more than 150 lbs. (Hood, battery, passenger inner fender, cooling fans, fluid in radiator. etc)

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/16/15 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: steve40
What did you end up using for a pump and sending unit? I ordered one from racetronix and have been waiting and waiting.

Also for pinion angle, tremec has an app to check it. I set the motor/trans at 4 degrees down to the rail under the floor.

I used the conversion kit from TANKS Inc. Mine is the PA4, which uses the Walbro 255 pump. I ordered the wiring harness for the fuel pump from Racetronix but haven't installed it yet. I'm working on the fuel tank currently. What a PIA!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/16/15 12:08 PM

For what it's worth I just run my factory carb tank with an efi sender and s Walbro 255 and have not had an issue. I always keep more then 1/4 tank though.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/17/15 01:03 AM

Had I known it would be this big of a pain, I would have done the same as you.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 07/29/15 02:30 AM

So I've just about finished the fuel system. Adapting my stock tank to EFI has been a pain to say the least! Lol! Here are pics of the work done recently.

I took over the kitchen table...my wife wasn't too pleased. The rolled up harness on the right is the one from Racetronix. The rest of the mess is wiring and a weather pack connector kit I bought to make a couple of other harnesses.

It took me a bit but I finally figured out how to make them...pretty easy, actually.

This is the wiring to activate the relay. I'll wire it to the fuse box...the computer will activate the pump.

Here's the mess of spaghetti on the tank. I also made a short pigtail harness that plugs at the tank.

Back of the alternator. This is where the fuel pump will get power.

Measured for the correct length of hose needed, added -6 AN fittings and bolted them to the tank. Of the original hanger, I'll only be using the vent line. The other two will be capped off.

Connected them to the Corvette-style filter/regulator, then on to the hard line.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 08/17/15 03:27 AM

I have been getting quite a bit of work done on the Monte but it seems as though the more work I do, the more replaces what I've done! Lol
I organized and loomed the Monte's ignition wires...I also added a thermal barrier since it lays very closely to the headers. Due to header interference, I had to drop the starter in order to get to some of the wiring. Its a tight squeeze out too! Once out of the way, I was able to connect crank sensor and bolt in the ignition wiring, plus the PSI power supply.

Room is a commodity by the firewall on the passenger side...I call it Grand Central Station! Lol There's just so much crap going on back there! I also managed to complete my fuel lines, including a fuel pressure gauge at the rail. If I ran the tranny cooling lines in their stock location it would effectively box in the starter, thus requiring disconnecting the tranny lines to drop the starter! I decided to reroute the cooling lines instead.
I also replaced the 4L65e line fittings to what a Monte 200R4 would have...they were a major PIA to remove and install.

I'm in the middle of installing this...

I finished plumbing in the rear brake hoses to the calipers. Since I have a QP 9", the caliper kit I ordered is off a '97 Explorer. I bolted in the caliper hoses, which screwed in perfectly with the stock Monte metal lines. I also used a stock replacement distribution block to bolt to the differential. I had to drill and tap for this mod.

The brake lines look like backyard hackery but it'll have to do until I get this car rolling. This project is waaaaay over budget!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 08/17/15 03:33 AM

I should add that I'm real close to firing this thing up! I need to figure out where I'm going to mount the PCM, get the rest of the wiring routed and secured then its start up time! Yeah!!
There is very little room for the PCM. The setup I have, has it mounted inside of the car. I was thinking of the possibility of mounting it under the passenger side seat. I definitely have the wire slack. I want to avoid using the glove box since I have a bench seat...nowhere to store paperwork.

Suggestions please.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 08/19/15 04:04 AM

It turns out there isn't enough slack in the harness to allow for installing under the passenger seat. The PCM is way too big for the kick panel and it looks goofy on the tranny tunnel. As mentioned earlier, I do not have a center console, so will not use the glove box.
That leaves the toe board...I pulled back the carpeting and insulation to find the best location. I finally settled on just left of the kick panel. I will mount the fuse box in the kick panel, where it should remain out of sight.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/01/15 02:38 AM

I've been real busy with work lately but I did manage to make more progress. I cleaned up the heater valve and replaced the heater hoses.

I also adjusted the throttle cable with an adjustable cable stop. Now I can get the throttle blade at WOT with the pedal on the floor. When I tried getting the serp. belt on, I ran in to a problem....too long of a belt. Lol! Not sure how that happened. It was about an inch too long.

After paying better attention to the instructions, I got the right part.

Unfortunately, there is another problem. I ordered the wrong bracket kit from Kwik Performance, so the tensioner, idler and compressor pulleys don't line up with the other accessory pulleys. The belt would simply come off when I turned the motor by hand. I'm glad I didn't try to fire the engine with this problem!
They guys at KP are great! They said to simply remove the relocation bracket (minus the tensioner) and send it back for an exchange. I should be set after that.

Let me know what you guys think.
Posted By: Montague

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/03/15 01:24 AM

Come join the ranks of the converted. My neighbors hate me lol.
My girl has already roared nice and loud. Next stop? AWD, Twin turbo, rack and pinion conversion. Not to mention a lot of paint and body.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/03/15 01:31 AM

Looking good and getting close! Is that the gto a/c compressor or aftermarket? Are you installing a new condenser and accumulator?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/03/15 04:37 AM

Montague,

My neighbor and I don't get along as it is...on page 2 (I think) I talk about her complaining to the city. I then had to explain the situation to a inspection agent. The old bat knows I'm close to finishing.

Onebadbowtie,
Thanks, I wish I was able to move as quickly as you in finishing this project.
I am using an aftermarket sanden compressor with new Regal accumulator,condenser and orifice tube. I plan to flush out the evaporator.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/21/15 05:24 AM

I received and installed the correct A/C bracket. I also had to buy a new tensioner so that everything lined up correctly...mostly correctly. Lol! It seems that the compressor is about 1/8" too far back! Man oh man, what next?! A quick solution to this is taking the compressor to a machine shop and have them grind off 1/8" from the rear mounting flange. I can then add a couple of washers up front to compensate but this will move it slightly forward. Here's a pic of what it looks like now(not modified yet):

Notice how the belt twists slightly.

I should have that done sometime this week. My exhaust system and cats showed up this week and this showed up last week:

This is supposed to be better than the Abbot Cable-X...I hope so. The other is a tach interface from Dakota Digital as well.

Anyone want to help me install all of this sh....I mean stuff?! Lol!
Posted By: MC96

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/21/15 06:52 PM

Definitely keep us updated on the install of the Dakota piece.

Where do you plan to install it?
Posted By: MAP

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/22/15 06:48 PM

Going back some posts/photos, I thought I saw clear Si-based RTV sealant used to plug some lines and make a gasket: doesn't gasoline turn this material into jelly? (Just trying to be helpful.)

Best,
MAP
Posted By: Motor City Monte

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/22/15 08:18 PM

wow nice job. but it seemes like all the LS swaps have so many hang ups. i love them tho and have went through all of them. i have learned a lot from them and a lot of you guys not going to like this but when i do mine my mechanic who i use when im being lazy will do mine with me as a watcher and miner helper.
Posted By: dns87ss

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/22/15 11:48 PM

Not sure how your a/c brackets are made but couldn't you shim or machine the spacers between the brackets or between the bracket and engine? Not sure if these brackets are all welded together or just stack on with long bolts. Thinking if you machine the compressor then if it ever fails you'll have to machine the new one too. Would be easier (maybe?) to modify the bracket just once.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/23/15 04:38 AM

MC96,
I haven't decided yet but it does suggest the driver's side inner fender or under the dash.

MAP,
So will the fumes turn the silicone to jelly?

Motor City,
Thanks. There have been many hurdles and obstacles to overcome but I am glad I decided to go through with it. That is not saying I never had moments like "What in the world did I get myself into". Lol! I'm not quite done but I'd do it again...probably will have a better outcome next time.

dns87ss,
I don't want to mess with the bracket, since it pretty much lines up. The problem is in the compressor pulley. When I spoke with Wayne at KWik Performance, he said the brackets were designed with the 7 rib compressor pulley in mind (the instructions clearly state that. You then mount the 6 rib belt on the forward 6 ribs of the compressor pulley...the one I have has 6 ribs. There isn't any way around it, short of replacing the compressor pulley or having it machined. When the time comes to replace the compressor, I'll just make sure to have to longer pulley, thus not needing to mod. the compressor.

Thanks for all of the feedback, fellas. Keep it comin'.
Posted By: MAP

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/23/15 08:04 PM

Hi Jmireles,

About gas fumes and turning Si-based RTV to jelly: I think so, but it's been a gazillion years since I experienced this, so I'm not sure about that claim. If I were you, for plugging hoses, I'd use a brass plug with some kind of spring clamp over the hose to maintain good compression over service life.

For the gasket, I suppose I'd start with the Permatex gasket-making series and see whether anything they have is OK'd for long-term immersion in gasoline.

Best,
MAP

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/13/15 06:01 AM

It's been a while since I posted last but I really haven't had much time to work on the Monte. After contemplating a bit to take the compressor to a machine shop and have them mill the 1/8" needed, we decided to do it ourselves. My stepdad came over and made careful measurements, scribed the flange and took the angle grinder to it. It is soft aluminum, so it made short work of it.

Here he is doing the final touches with a flat file.

Once that was done, we mounted the compressor back on the bracket, added a couple of washers and everything lined up as it should! I verified this by turning the engine over by hand several times. I'll keep a close eye on it when it fires, nonetheless. I'll be keeping a close eye on a crap-load of things now that I think about it! Lol!!

The following two pics are of the reducers and cats mounted to the headers. I used lap joint straps to secure everything. I have to admit, I am impressed with the way it came together. Not too much to report, though.....I have all the electrical ahead of me. I am going to be working on the electrical fans, relays and wiring next. Hope to have something better to view next week.

If anyone can help me out on the electrical install, I'd greatly appreciate it!! Kinda trailblazin'

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/19/15 03:25 AM

I have some questions about bleeding the brakes....

So today my stepdad and I were bleeding the rear brakes. We did manage to get some air out but there was very little fluid every time we open the bleeder screw. The pedal would not travel to the floor when the screw was turned, as the front brakes did....weird. I do have a proportioning valve for 4 wheel disk brakes, which was ordered from Inline Tube. I did make sure the reservoir had enough fluid.
I need help, gentleman. Suggestions?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/19/15 04:39 PM

Did you bench bleed the master cylinder?

Typically you bleed the longest lines first too

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/20/15 03:45 AM

No I didn't, but there still was fluid in the master cylinder. I also read several posts where some mentioned bleeding the shortest line first, while others said the opposite.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/21/15 12:48 AM

i'd try re-bleeding the master and go from there.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/21/15 02:51 AM

I just may have to...

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/27/15 04:51 AM

While I was waiting on some wiring to show up to finally get the motor fired up, I wanted to square away the parking brake situation. I have a Ford 9" from Quick Performance with disk brakes. I was told when I needed replacement parts to use those from a late '90's Explorer. I bought some parking brake cables from a local boneyard for $7, so that I could see and possible adapt those cables to my Monte. I thought everything would be easy...
So just when you think everything is going your way, out comes the modification monster...rearing its ugly head! Lol
This is what the stock Monte cables look like.

Here's what I need...

I need to retain this bracket so that I can use the Monte E-brake cables.

So basically I need stock Monte cables and bracket with Ford ends. I found a company that does custom as well as direct application brake cables...Their name is Bruin Brake Cables. I'm going to send in the stock Monte cables and the Explorer cables, along with these measurements my stepdad drew up:

They assured me this is no problem for them and could do the work. I wanted to have the car done by the end of this month, since my registration expires. In Texas, you now have to take your vehicle to inspection before you can renew your registration. This will not happen by the end of the week. frown

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/27/15 11:09 AM

Thats good to know about bruin, let us know how the cable turn out as putting the camaro ends on a set of monte cables would work for the guys with "ls1" rear brakes.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/28/15 02:48 PM

I will. I haven't removed the brake cables from the Monte yet, as I've been swamped at work. I should be able to get them off today and ship 'em tomorrow.

I spoke with Rick from Bruin Brake Cables and he said they can make any cable for any set up. They have a diagram you can download and print from their website that asks for specific measurements. You can also do what I am doing...send in both cables and talk to Rick! Lol.

It's pricey though. frown
Posted By: 303steve

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/20/15 03:03 AM

Your build looks great! I'm doing a similar build. I have the same rear that you do, but just a stock 6.0 for now. Also a 76mm turbo. It's all going to pay off in the end. Good luck.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/20/15 07:59 AM

Steve,

Welcome to MCSS. Thanks for the compliment. When you have a chance, engine section of this forum and look up at the very top for LS swap sticky. There is a lot of good information there. Also, LS1Tech is the place to be for LS swapping.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/20/15 08:27 AM

I wasn't going to update until a bit later but I might as well. So my modified brake cables came in a few days ago and today they were installed.

These cables have the Ford ends, springs and tang fittings but maintain original GM fittings on the other end.

They also supplied new hardware...

Here's a view with the tire installed. Notice the cable with about 2.5" separation from the tire when mounted. I had to let the guys at Bruin Brake Cables know to shorten the overall cable length by 1"...outer cover and inner cable.

With any luck, I'll fire up the car this weekend!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/20/15 01:28 PM

Looking back through your posts I noticed something that I also had to deal with...and I have a hint for you.

When I first ran my QP 9 with the Ford Explorer brakes mounted the same way you have yours mounted, the top caliper mounting bolt kept smacking the frame and bending it. I finally ended up rotating the brake backing plate and calipers 180* (and swapping them from side to side) which put the caliper on the front side of the axle and angled down. This has kept the mounting bolt from hitting the frame since.

The bummer with this is the E-brake cables have to attach from the rear side which means your new (and cool as hell) cables have to be made longer. I used Lokar's custom e-brake cable kit and had to buy new cables for it to extend them after the swap around.

Keep up the good work, love the progress you are making.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/20/15 04:44 PM

Thanks Lance. How was it that was hitting the frame? I know that it is a tight fit for that bolt when it is coming back out.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/24/15 03:28 AM

Well, I finished up all of the wiring necessary for the car to run. The only thing slowing me down was not finding my multimeter. So after about an hour of searching, I called my stepfather and asked him if he had seen it. It turned out he noticed it on the floor of my Trans Am (have been trying to hunt down a short in the circuit that the cigarette lighter is on. This meant an hour round trip!

I first went after the TCC wire. Originally I thought it was the blue connector but after checking for voltage with the key on, I noticed it was the connector on top of the brake switch, with the cruise control vacuum line next to it. The pink and black wire has 12v when the key is on and the same for the purple wire but when you push on the brake pedal, the purple wire goes to 0volts. THAT'S MY WIRE!!

I then snipped the purple wire and crimped/heat shrunk it to the purple PSI harness wire.

Next, I did the same to the fan 1/fan 2 relay wires. The computer will ground those wires for the fans to come on. I ran fused wire from the fuse panel and connected to an empty IGN slot.

I next searched for switched run/crank 12v source to connect the ignition relay wire. I took my multimeter and found a that wire in the connector that used to go to the stock Monte ECM. I used a spade connector instead of crimping, in case I want to disconnect the two. After connecting, I wrapped it in electrical tape to avoid grounding under the dash.

I now have all the essentials needed to fire it up!! Before doing so, I made sure the fuel pump pressurized...well it did but I had two leaks to deal with. I took care of one but the other will have to wait until tomorrow. Tomorrow I will attempt to fire her up!!

I am super pumped right now and can't hardly wait!!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/24/15 11:42 PM

Success!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://vid1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb321/gm-muscle/Mobile%20Uploads/20151124_145124_1.mp4

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/25/15 01:07 AM

you da man!! Congrats that HAS to feel good. thumbs thumbs

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/25/15 02:16 AM

Good job!! Wait until you get to drive it, then youll be really smiling
Posted By: gmachinz

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/25/15 02:40 AM

Awesome! Glad you got the wiring sorted out! Question-do you simply piggyback off the external coil to get the factory tach to work? Have you verified that the ecm triggers both fan grounds for low and medium speed? Remember that you can use the integrated jumper pair to get low/high, then once you have the AC working again you can run the fan relay bank as a 3-speed setup with the ecm grounding for low and medium speed then either the AC pressure switch cycling can give ya high-speed OR, plumb in a trinary so high fan speed only comes on if the liquid side hits approx. 230 psi. PM me with any questions about your cooling fan system, I can walk you through any mods you may need to make. Your LS will like running around 205-210F and that's exactly where my setup should keep you!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/25/15 03:01 PM

Thanks guys.

It sure was a great feeling to hear it roar for the first time. In fact, it scared my nephew silly, not expecting it to be that loud! Lol! I had my wife standing by with a fire extinguisher in case the worst happened. I'll be installing a transmission linkage rod I mentioned several posts ago, then it's off to the exhaust shop and alignment.
Jabin, I ran the car for a bit but it didn't get hot enough for the fans to come on. As for the tach, I have something from Dakota Digital and also for the speedometer. Thanks for you knowledge a ND support.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/26/15 12:29 AM

congrats!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/26/15 08:08 PM

how to you like the brake cables? are they pricey? i have ls1 rear brakes on my car, the f-body cables are shorter than the g-body cables, i'm between looking for a custom made cable, or just make an extension to take up the difference between the two lengths

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/27/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: jmireles
Thanks Lance. How was it that was hitting the frame? I know that it is a tight fit for that bolt when it is coming back out.

Depends on your ride height I guess. I had DSE 2" drop springs in the back at the time, the fender lip over the rear axle was around 25.5" high. I kept putting custom bump stops on the axle to keep the caliper bolt off the frame, but that made it handle poorly when it hit the bump stop when cornering.

Rotating the brake backing pads 180* and swapping the calipers side to side got the caliper lower and to the front which gave them the room they needed to stay off the frame.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/27/15 03:50 PM

Steve,
The cables came out great...I paid $125 with shipping. Pricey. I believe Lance used Lokar. I take it you're coming up short at the caliper? Mine mount up front.

Lance,
Where did you get your custom bump stops from? At this point I'm not looking for handling, so I'd like them on. I was even thinking about having new ones welded on.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/27/15 03:55 PM

I cut the stock bump stop brackets off my old 7.5" axle and welded them in the same place to my 9". I then later made some bump stop extensions to bolt to those that held the stock bump stops higher.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/27/15 04:25 PM

well short between the front cable and cable on the rear end. i was trying to use the f-body ones. i searched around last night and found some clevis lokar make, ordered up a set to try them. i still have the g-body cables new sitting here too.
Posted By: gmachinz

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/27/15 05:37 PM

Another company offers the same services a www.controlcables.com -I've dealt with them on a lot of my rear disc brake conversions.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/28/15 02:33 PM

So yesterday I finished installing the Vari Angle Shift Arm from Kugel Komponents (tranny linkage). It comes as a straight rod which for Montes, you'll have to bend and shorten. I used the stock linkage for reference. Everything you need for the installation comes in their kit.

1) Remove the nut from the gear selector shaft and install splined gear and elongated nut.

2) Install gear selector arm onto splined gear. Make sure the tranny is in Park (fully counter-clockwise) and position arm to between the 8 and 9 o'clock postion. Once in place, insert bolt and nut to lock the arm in position. The instructions show the bolt and nut 180* from where I installed them but I found it to work better when tightening.

3) Install nut on both ends of the threaded rod. Next, screw on vari-angle head, tighten and also tighten the nut against the head, thus locking it in position. The head has a pivot which allows about 25* movement in any direction. They supply a new rubber grommet for the shift arm on the steering shaft but mine is in great condition and left well enough alone.

4) I made most of the adjustments by cutting off about 3" of the threaded end mounting at the trans. Bust out the Dremel!

5) Screw on the other vari angle head but do not tighten until placed in desired location. I found it easiest to install while in the Neutral or Overdrive position, so you'll have to take the column shifter out of Park. In my application, I couldn't tighten down with the head all the way at the end of the arm (furthest from center) because it would hit the headers by the time you shift in to Drive 3. I moved mine slightly more towards center and I was able do get all the way to Drive 1.

I have mixed feeling about the product overall. In fit and fuction I give it an A but due to the thin rod and tendency to deflect once bent, I give it a C-. Even with the gear selector in Park, you can reach under the car and move the tranny in to Reverse!! Yikes! Although it might snap back to Park. Lol
That definitely would not happen with the original linkage.

There is a member on Trans Am Country that adjusted his original linkage rod and made it work with long-tube headers. Maybe I can do mine as well. It'll do for now. Currently, the car is at the exhaust shop and will get aligned as well.

The throttle is very responsive....not expecting the power, it snapped my head back a couple of times on my way to the shop! Lol I had the biggest dam.n grin on my face.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/22/15 05:11 PM

Well time for an update...

I had the exhaust system installed and front end alignment done. It is a blast to drive, even though I haven't had much time to do so. Next on the agenda is to figure out why I'm getting a P0343 code and to have a crankshaft position sensor variance relearn done to the car.
I may have to take it in to a shop because some of the diagnostic work requires tech II scanner. I was told by PSI Performance to double check all grounds, so I need to check that out first.

Does Anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/22/15 06:54 PM

The crank relearn is a common issue, just have a tuner turn it off, not worth the hassle to go through with it. Only a few of the tech ll scanner tools can get the ecm to accept a relearn, and at least around here only the $$tealership can do it

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/23/15 02:45 AM

Will turning it off have any ill effects?

After having checked the wiring to the cam sensor for continuity and everything checked out. It basically comes down to the PCM or the sensor. Well it turned out to be the sensor, so after having cleared the codes, P1336 was the only left. Tomorrow I'll see if I can bribe a GM technician to perform the relearn! Lol

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/23/15 03:24 AM

You can do a relearn with efi live, I think hp tuners can do it too
Posted By: somcamaross

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/23/15 05:09 PM

Correct, you can do a relearn with HPT. The relearn is in the VCMscanner and you will need to get it up to operating temp, hit the "Crank relearn" button and follow the instructions (Rev to 2k, Rev to 3k, etc..) Try that before turning it off.

I need to get you hooked up with my brother in El Paso who has a 5.3/4l60 swapped 78 Cevy Luv. He says there arent many good gearheads in the area to hang out with.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/24/15 10:03 AM

Originally Posted By: somcamaross

I need to get you hooked up with my brother in El Paso who has a 5.3/4l60 swapped 78 Cevy Luv. He says there arent many good gearheads in the area to hang out with.

That'd be great. There aren't a lot of guys doing LS swaps in their own garage, here in EP. Most of the swaps I've seen were done by one of 4 shops.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/03/16 05:23 AM

The cam position sensor may not have been faulty after all. It turns out that the PSI wiring harness had a fault in it. There is a 25" harness extension for the Cam sensor. Somehow, the 12V wire and signal wire were in the wrong position!! I found out through some investigating of my own and help from PSI's tech support.
Once I switched the two wires on the connector, the P0343 code went away. I still need to have the Crankshaft position sensor variation relearn done to the PCM. It turns out of my neighbors is a GM tech. and has a tech II.

My wife and I took the Monte on a road trip which included the Grand Canyon. The car performed beautifully!! So with 3.70 gears, climbing in through mountainous terrain, driving at 80 MPH with an almost steady 30 MPH headwind, we managed to still get about 19.5 MPG. I am pleased.

I'll post some pics of our trip in the Lounge.
Posted By: upflying

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/04/16 12:09 AM

I thoroughly enjoyed your thread, I will be going through the same headache in the coming days, weeks, months and hopefully not, years.
Much of what you did and learned is exactly what I needed.
Perhaps one of the mods/PaulC can make this a sticky so it doesn't get lost.
I will be asking questions as the situation occurs.
I am currently at the gas tank phase, I am using a Spectra GM307C tank and a FG156a sender with a Walbro 255lph pump.
My LS3 and 4l65E should be arriving next week.
The sender is at a welder to have some -6AN bungs attached to the fuel lines.
So much more to do.
What kind of problems did you have on the drive to the Grand canyon?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/04/16 03:12 AM

Thanks for the compliment, Upflying.

Mechanically, there were no issues but there were a few with the Dakota Digital electronic cable drive. Power to the ECD-100 would cut in and out. I'm not sure if the 12v wire was properly connected. In all, there are about 100 miles that aren't accounted for. After playing with the connection a bit, it worked flawlessly from the Grand Canyon back home.
I also had a problem with the fuel gauge...it still isn't reading correctly. An issue I haven't resolved yet.

Let me know if there is anything I can help you with.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/09/16 07:13 PM

what are your plans for ac lines....with the hooker conversion mounts i'll have to mount the compressor up high on the passenger side....i did the same thing and swapped over to the regal condenser too.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/10/16 03:31 PM

I'll probably take it to an A/C shop and see if they'll make some custom lines. That will have to wait at least 3 months, since my wallet took a beating just getting the thing driving! Lol

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/11/16 09:21 PM

lol....i hear you on that.....i think my wallet is going to hurt now that the cold weather came, more time to shop for car parts.

my buddy has a set of 3rd gen f body lines, i heard they work, gonna try them out before he needs them back. i wanted to try to get a list of all the parts i needed for the ac, see what the cost is over something from vintage air, my guess they get close.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/13/16 07:20 PM

It's been a while since I updated this thread but I've had a bit of a roller coaster with this Monte. I had to drop the fuel tank to reseal where I used silicone....
MAP, if you read this, I should have listened to you. The silicone swelled up and worked its way out. I used non-hardening thread sealer on the connections and used a fuel resistant sealer for the tank. Well, upon dropping the tank I broke a wire going to the fuel pump and didn't notice it! After long hours of troubleshooting, I finally figured it out and repaired the fault.
Two weeks later the car stranded me as one of the fusible links blew!! Again, it was my own studpid fault for not taping the distributor wire and securing it better. It slid down the inner fender and grounded against the brake lines.

For the last two weeks, no problems or issues...thank goodness! I have been trying to drive the car "normally" to see what kind of gas mileage I can achieve but I can't seem to keep my foot from mashing the gas pedal...Lol This car is a blast to drive and highly encourage anyone contemplating an LS swap to do so.

I also must admit to spanking several riced out Hondas and Mustangs! wink
Posted By: Number1

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/14/16 03:52 AM

Congrats on getting the car back up and running. I'm also doing an ls swap and wanted to know what wires did you use off the cars existing wiring to run for your ls swap? Thanks in advance and love the car it's awesome.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/14/16 04:34 AM

Thank you, Number1.

I used the same stock wiring going to the starter for power distribution and ignition. That was in addition to the wiring PSI provided for their computer. I believe if you look at the last couple of pages, you can see what I did. I bought my fan harness and relays from a member here (gmachinz).
Let me know if you how I can help you further.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/04/16 09:51 PM

Unless I missed it, what did you use for a cold air intake and radiator cooling fans?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/11/16 08:53 PM

Sorry, I just barely saw your question. I'm not sure where I posted that information but here's basically what I did:

Cooling fans:
'95 Camaro Z28 cooling fans (any LT1 cooling fans really). I was told they flow better than the LS fans do. I think I paid $25 at a yard. The harness and relays were purchased from Jabin.

Cold air intake:
I used the stock GTO air intake with a Spectra air filter. There were some pvc inserts I had to use to make the thing work correctly.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/20/16 02:58 AM

http://s1200.photobucket.com/user/gm-muscle/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20151127_101322.jpg.html Does all Monte Carlos have this shift arm on the column? My car is an ss with floor shift.
Posted By: MC96

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/20/16 03:57 AM

Its for your gear indicator in the dash

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/21/16 01:34 AM

Ok. So there would be no need for it since I'm running dakota guages and switching to 5.3 ls with 4l60.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/22/16 01:58 AM

I'd still use it so that you have use of your back up lights, safety neutral switch and functional gear indicator. Do you absolutely need it to make the car run? No.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/22/16 03:03 AM

Any suggestions on how I could adapt it to use it with my floor shifter?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 04/22/16 03:20 AM

You won't need to use it if you're not going to use headers. Headers gets in the way of the reverse lockout linkage.
Posted By: ftms

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 08/28/16 05:43 AM

this has been a really great and informative thread as I am doing pretty much similar project with my 84 elco. I am curious to know how much the front end raised with lighter engine?
Posted By: MrGbody88

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 08/28/16 08:24 PM

very detailed and useful thread,i will be doing this swap in my 88 soon.very nice work throughout

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/13/20 01:10 PM

It has been quite sometime since I have updated this restoration thread...although there has been a few things that were quite important and worthy of documenting. So I'm having stalling issues that maybe someone here can help me out with.

A bit of a recap:
I have an '87 Monte SS with a LS2/4L65 out of a '06 GTO. The car has a PCM and wiring harness from PSI Conversions. I converted to a cable operated throttle body, so the PCM is from an '02 Silverado 2500. The power supply to the PCM comes from the starter and the ignition relay power comes from the old Monte ECM power supply, under the dash on the passenger side.
So around February, the car would stall occasionally when turning right. I would notice it a little more when braking and turning right. It led me to believe that perhaps the source of the stalling was caused by the ignition switch in the steering column. There is slop in the steering column. Normally, I would place the car in neutral and restart the car, I wouldn't even have to stop to do so. Then I began to notice the car took longer to restart. If I cycled the key once, I could hear the fuel pump pressurize and the MIL light would come on in the dash. Then one day it stalled when I was backing out of my driveway. I could not get the car to fire, it would just crank endlessly. The fuel pump would not pressurize and the MIL would not longer turn on.

I replaced the ignition switch but the car would still not fire. I next checked the power supply to the ignition relay and it check out...12 volts with the key on. The fuel pump relay is triggered by the PCM its power supply comes from the back of the alternator (Racetronix GN harness). It finally led to me removing the passenger front tire to give me better access to the wiring harness. I asked my wife to place the ignition on the run position and I wiggled the harness...the Fuel pump engaged and the MIL light turned on. I next fired up the engine. I checked the bolt at the starter to see if it was loose. I did give it a 1/4 turn, easily. Still, I feel it was not the source of my problems.
The car now will stall when idling in Park or Neutral. Another strange development is that after it stalls, the fuel pump and MIL won't work when I cycle the key and place it in the Run position. If I turn the key to crank the engine, the MIL will come on somewhere between Run and Start.The car fires up and runs...weird. I replaced the battery a month ago and I have checked the grounds (back of the head, battery to fender, battery to block, block to chassis, chassis to body).

I'm not sure what to do. If I were to go out now and place the key in the run position, the MIL and fuel pump will work but not after it stalls. I have no stored trouble codes and do not appear to have a vacuum leak. Can the PCM be bad? How do I check that out?

Sorry for the long post, I just want to give you guys as much info as possible. I posted this on LS1Tech.com as well.
Thanks,

Jose

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/15/20 01:13 PM

That's where I would start, replace the PCM with another one. Sounds like the PCM is commanding the stalls.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/19/20 04:44 PM

Thanks Upflying, I may just have to replace it. A bit of an update:

During the week, I placed the key on the run position to power on the fuel pump but it would not. The MIL light wouldn't turn on either, so I left the key on and went to the wiring by the starter. I moved the wires some and just like that, the fuel pump engages. My problem may still be with the PCM but I am just going to have to crawl under, remove the starter, remove the wire loom and inspect each wire carefully. That is also what PSI Conversions suggested.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 09/23/20 02:15 PM

I'm a little late, but I'd say it sounds like a broken/loose wire more than a PCM failure, although it could still be that. I'd see about running a new PCM power wire. Maybe just run a temporary wire to a known hot point (battery with a simple switch if you have it available?) and see if it all goes away. You might even go so far as to get a different power wire entirely, with a different pin, and plug it into the PCM to rule out the entire wire and not have a bad pin connection give you grief and lead you on the wrong path.
I'd try that before swapping out PCM's, unless you have a secondary one that you know works and won't give you VATS trouble etc. It sounds a lot like an issue I had with mine that ended up being a loose ground wire on the back of the head. Different wire, but similar symptoms of intermittent stall and hard to troubleshoot, especially when you talk about vehicle movement affecting it.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/14/20 07:57 PM

Well I removed the starter and closely inspected all of the wiring. I couldn't find any faults...no frayed wiring, no melted insulation and couldn't detect any broken wires. I put all the wires back in the plastic loom and back into the thermal loom. I mounted the starter but fought some with that plastic cover. The car fired right up. I shut it off, placed the key on the run position and everything functioned as it should. I next let the car idle for about a half hour but this time it did not shut off. I also did some "spirited" driving (this is where I normally had the shut off issue) for another half hour. Again, no problems. I'm not sure what the problem is/was but I'll report back if anything changes.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 10/26/20 05:39 AM

Today I started the car and when trying to put it in reverse, the car stalled but fired back up when I restarted. Just like before, no MIL light or fuel pump priming but will do just as you're turning the key to the start position...weird. Shutting down when shifting into Reverse has happened on a few other occasions, that's why I thought it might have something to do with the Ignition switch or there being slop in the steering column.

I'm stumped!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 11/08/20 05:44 AM

I've experienced a couple more engine cut out issues. Once while driving and once just placing the transmission in reverse. As mentioned before, there is slop in the steering column so I've decided to remove the column and send it in to be rebuilt. It may not solve my issues but it is possible it will...it needs to be done regardless.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 12/24/20 07:23 AM

Well it didn't resolve my problem but everything dealing with the steering column works great! One difference I have seen is that now it will not shut off when shifting into reverse.
So last week I used my scan tool when the car shut off and would not start back up. There was no communication between the scan tool and the PCM. I then wiggled the wires at the starter and just like that, the fuel pump pressurized, check engine light came on and the scan tool linked with the PCM. The problem is in the PCM power supply wires!
Chipping away a little at a time...

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/04/21 09:56 PM

Baby steps, baby steps... Troubleshooting is always fun. Good luck on getting it nailed down and fixed.
I forgot another issue I had, where the screw terminal on the aftermarket fuse block was loose. It killed the fuel pump power and I think another circuit, might have been a feed to the ECM too. Might take a look there as well, depending on how your system is wired and routed. Don't forget wires that might be bumped by the steering shaft, or by the engine torquing differently when in reverse than in drive. Basically, anything that moves when you go to reverse. Even though that isn't causing it to stall, it used to and you still have the same problem with a different cause.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/16/21 07:30 AM

Thanks for helping Shawn. I want to get a GoPro camera to see and hear what goes on in that suspect area when it shuts down.
I decided to do some maintenance while I have the car up on wooden blocks, a little over a foot in the air. I fixed a small tranny oil leak, replaced the parking light housings, topped off the differential oil, cleaned the whole underside with 4 cans of brake cleaner (because of the oil leak), tightened one of the front sway bar end links and am currently in the process of replacing the transmission cooler lines with braided hose and AN fittings to the cooler.
Next on the list is replacing the way too long LS1 Trans Am accelerator cable with one from an '02 Silverado with a 6.0.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 01/19/21 02:17 PM

Go-Pro's are awesome. You might look into a magnetic base for it. We use them for work, and built a handful of bases with some strong neodymium magnets and a 1/4"-20 screw stud for the mount to screw onto (with a locknut). We put a couple layers of tape on the magnet to make it easier to remove and easier to clean. On flat steel, it was almost impossible to budge. We launched them on barges dropping into the water, some of them getting hit full force with jets of water, others getting jolted 10g's and barely moving at all, but no drilling or gluing required to mount them. Tie a string on it just in case if you want an added layer of protection against losing it.

I was about ready to buy a knock-off GoPro before we bought a handful of them for work that I can use when needed... Anyway, sounds like a plan. Good luck.

https://smile.amazon.com/Mutuactor-Powerful-Neodymium-Threaded-Pull-Force/dp/B07JKWCVTX/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=magnet+stud+1%2F4-20&qid=1611065852&sr=8-5

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/14/21 02:42 AM

I think I my have found a solution to the intermittent power supply problem. I'm going to run a wire from the battery directly to the PSI fuse box, bypassing the starter. I ordered a Fuse box/ECM cable for a '97 Silverado, as it bolts directly to the battery. It was supposed to have arrived yesterday but I wasn't in as of today.

I then decided to replace the throttle cable because the one I installed with the swap was too long and tended to bind slightly, causing a jolt on initial acceleration. It can be a bit scary when driving in tight spaces. The cable I used was from a 2002 Trans Am without Traction Control. I also bought a cable bracket for an LS1 Fbody to mount on the intake manifold since I converted from DBW to DBC.
I read several times where other guys that had LS swapped their Montes (or some other G body) used the Throttle cable from a 5.3 or 6.0 Silverado. It seems as though the cable has come up a bit short. Maybe the routing is wrong...maybe I need another cable bracket.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

[Linked Image]Throttle Cable Bracket 1 by Jose Mireles, on Flickr

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/17/21 04:18 PM

I think I'd be looking at cable routing first. Is there a way to get that extra ~1 1/2"? Or is there a way to reroute the old (long) cable to loop a little more and not bind? Maybe just lube it with some white lithium or dry moly? I haven't ever tried to take one of these apart, might be easier said than done, but even if you can't get the cable out of the sleeve, sometimes you can make a slurry of rubbing alcohol and lube and it will get into tight places, then the alcohol evaporates and you have a lubed component.

I haven't measured the distance between the cable bracket and the TB, but I would think GM would keep that consistent between models such that an LS1 bracket with a truck cable shouldn't be a problem so I wouldn't get too far on the bracket path. I used a rigged up cable extension on mine (trying to keep factory kickdown function on the TH350 as well as give a mounting point for cruise), otherwise I'd tell you what worked for me smile

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/19/21 12:34 PM

Shawn,

I lubed the cable with a little transmission oil. But that was 5 years ago. I ruined the cable by trying to remove it. eek
The Fbody cable bracket is different from the truck bracket too...I can make it work but not if it doesn't reach. I tried a couple of routing configurations, so perhaps I need to keep trying to find the correct way. I didn't get a whole lot of time to work on Saturday as we were preparing for last week's deep freeze.

How did you fair this week?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/23/21 04:54 PM

Not too bad in the scheme of it. Lost power for 24 hours, its an old house so it cooled off quick but with gas burners and a fireplace we kept it in the upper 40's. Froze my water heater (tankless outside), still waiting on replacement parts due last week. And sprung a leak in my RV fresh water tank, as well as in the pump. Looks like everything is going to come in this weekend to fix it all before I have to go out of town again Monday.
A few others in our area had no power for 2-3 days, water either cut off or on boil notice, and a few friends had bad water damage from busted pipes. One family was volunteering at a warming center when power came on at their place and thawed a busted pipe, flooded entire downstairs for hours before they got home. Thankfully we had nothing like that.

How did you guys do?

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 02/25/21 05:51 AM

We were spared the brunt of the cold weather. We got plenty of snow on Sunday and some on Monday. We had plenty of pine to burn. The lows did drop into the mid teens and high temps in the 30's but none of that pipe splitting cold weather that east and central Texas got. Although that did remind me of the polar vortex blast we got 10 years ago...our lows hovered around 0* with highs in the teens. I had two busted pipes. Luckily I was home to shut off the main line.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/22/21 05:08 AM

I figured out solutions to both of my dilemmas.
1) The power supply to the PCM:
I removed the two PSI wires that bolted to the starter, ran them up top over the intake manifold and extended the wires directly to the battery. I noticed that the last six inches of wiring felt flimsy somehow...even had a different color of insulation, so those last 6 inches is what I cut off. Luckily, my battery has both side and top posts. The only thing needed to be finished is adding wire loom to make it look neatly and protect the wiring.

2) The accelerator cable:
I ended up using a cable from a '98-'04 Chevy Blazer with the 4.3 V6.th only modification was trimming the plastic clip that secures to the accelerator bracket...that was it! Its almost as if though it was made for my swap!

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/22/21 01:20 PM

Very nice! Maybe those wires just got a little burnt under there? Either way, I hope that takes care of it permanently.

Re: 1987 MC SS LS2/4L60e swap - 03/27/21 04:58 PM

Thanks Shawn. It has been three weeks since I modified the power supply to the PCM and even so much as a hiccup. I'm cautiously optimistic that this dilemma is solved permanently.

I need to return to a former project that was put on hold due to the electrical problem...
1) see why the new pivot arm won't rotate in the HVAC case and get all that mess put back together so I can control the temperature in the car. I also want to get the A/C going...its already climbing into the low 80's here.
2) extend the differential vent line so it doesn't puke and coat everything back there in rear gear lube.
© 2022 MonteCarloSS.com Message Board