MonteCarloSS.com

MSD Ignition setup pictures

Posted By: Black Rocket

MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 04:18 PM

i just got a full MSD ignition put in yesterday but we just temporarily mounted it under the hood for now just to see what the dyno numbers were. now that i know im keeping it i want to wire it up to make it look nice under the hood. does anyone have any pictures of how or where they mounted their MSD box and blaster coil?
Posted By: ProTourAero

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 04:26 PM

These are not the best pictures, the core support is not in, but I mounted my ignition box (I have a Crane) on the pass side front core support on a custom made alum bracket. It is away from the engine compartment heat, and harm.

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 04:32 PM

did you have a blaster coil also? i dont know how far away from the distributer the coil can be, otherwise i could mount it right next to the box in the front core also
Posted By: Z65_Paul

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 06:46 PM

I mounted my MSD 6AL on the driver's side fender:
Posted By: Aeroaddict

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 07:35 PM

You dont nessesarly have to mount the box/coil under the hood.
I hid everything under the dash and ran the wires through the firewall. Its much cleaner and it keeps everything away from engine heat.

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 07:41 PM

Z65_Paul: i like how you have that set up..i'll take a look at mine to see if i can do the same.

aeroaddict: where exactly did you mount your stuff under the dash - i have a hard enough time keeping all the other wiring down there hidden and neat
Posted By: Bri86SS

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 10:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Z65_Paul
I mounted my MSD 6AL on the driver's side fender:

Exactly where I put mine at.

Brian
Posted By: Aeroaddict

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/24/07 11:06 PM

I installed the box and coil againts the inside firewall on the trans hump. I did rip out all the HVAC ducting which help find some room.
I mounted the coil through the firewall and Im running the wiring through the wall as well to the distributor.

I have pics somewheres, email me, and I will send some to you.
Posted By: QuikZilver

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 03/26/07 04:38 PM

My box is the same place as Paul's. Coil is mounted on the firewall, near distributor, between valve cover and brake booster on driver side.
Posted By: Joe87monteSS

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/02/07 04:34 PM

Currently I'm using the stock ZZ4 HEI coil. But I will add an MSD coil later.

Posted By: Blackened

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/04/07 01:07 AM

I've never actually hooked up an ignition box. How do you go about it...what does it hook up to?? Is it something you need to do if removing the computer??

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/04/07 01:17 AM

hard to explain it in a post but if you want to do some reading here is the instructions for the MSD ignition box i have (PDF file about 2.2Mb) MSD 6 Series Ignition Box Installation
Posted By: mysteriouSS88

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/04/07 02:11 AM

I mounted mine on a bracket that I made on the driver fender. it;s an L shaped bracket but when it's mounted the box looks like it's floating. all the wires wrap underneath the the box and go into the fender and then are all ran through there into the firewall. i'll post some pics tomorrow when i get them out

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/04/07 02:13 AM

you can kind of see it in the corner of this pic here i'll find one of a close up tomorrow

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/04/07 02:19 AM

that is one great looking engine bay mysteriouSS88! wow

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/04/07 10:45 PM

ok i finally got the pic of my MSD all mounted sorry for the blurry pic. Blackrocket, thanks for the comments. unfortunately all of that is getting ripped out and getting redone...again but a lot better.
Posted By: 1fastmonte

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/05/07 02:36 AM

I would not put the box out ther they hate heat. heat is evey electric componets nightmare. the #1 reason for electronics to fail if heat
Posted By: ssmnt408

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/05/07 03:35 PM

I mounted mine to the back of my glove box, I can't seem to get the pic to upload to my computer..
Posted By: Big3

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 12:16 PM

My MSD6al is mounted exactly where the factory computer was .... under the pass. kick panel
Posted By: Crusher

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 01:24 PM

I mounted mine in the same place as Paul. You can see the top of the box in the picture...
Posted By: Blackened

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Black Rocket
hard to explain it in a post but if you want to do some reading here is the instructions for the MSD ignition box i have (PDF file about 2.2Mb) MSD 6 Series Ignition Box Installation

Thank you for the link
Posted By: dns87ss

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 03:24 PM

I made a bracket and mounted mine in the fender behind the battery.

Here's a pic when I was installing my rpm heads. You can see the msd box in the top corner.

[img]C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents[/img]

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 03:25 PM

sorry no pic...it's been a while since I did this...trying to figure it out

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 03:36 PM

[img][/img]

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 03:36 PM

There we go...just a bit slow..lol

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/06/07 04:35 PM

thanks for the pictures everyone. i mounted mine exactly where crusher and Bri86SS mounted their's on the drivers side fender. keep the pictures coming, im curious to see other custom set-ups.

Bigthreefan: do you have any pictures of the way the 6AL is mounted where the factory computer is?
Posted By: 1984Monte

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/07/07 10:33 PM

I like to place all my electronics inside the car where Heat and Water can't reach them. The passenger kick panel is a perfect spot to put an igntion box. The glove box is another good place to put other small electronic boxes (two-step, window switch, ect) in case you don't have the new digital box.

Posted By: Pyroguy

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/11/07 02:16 AM

Guys,

Great looking installs! However, a word of caution.

Awhile back I was using a Mallory ignition box which was mounted on the driver's side fender in the vertical position (like several have done in a couple of previous posts). One evening it rained and water ended up seeping into the box and caused the main internal capacitor to short out.

I have since installed a MSD 6AL unit but I mounted in on the driver's side inner fender well with the top pointing upwards instead of mounting it on it side against the metal fender. I have not had a single problem.

Please keep in mind that, for some unknown reason, neither Mallory nor MSD thought it prudent to completely seal off the bottom plate of their ignition boxes. Therefore, in order to minimize the possibility of a wet failure they should always be mounted with their labels pointing upwards.

(Just my $0.02)

- Jesse
Posted By: Monte88

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 04/16/07 05:19 PM

I put my Mallory Box in the driver's footwell mounted to the back of my A/C block-off plate.
Posted By: markg

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 09/05/20 08:06 PM

where did everyone get the hot wire to tie into?was there somethging under the hood?
Posted By: 86ttop

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 09/06/20 01:07 AM

OK, I'll be the devil's advocate here. Unless you're participating in competitions(racing), all that MSD and other aftermarket stuff is a waste of money. You're Factory HEI ignition is fine and will do all you need/want(yes, the CCC will work fine too, even for built engines to a point), but it's your money!! Most of those parts are made in Mexico or China now!

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 09/20/21 09:20 PM

im hoping to finally do this in a few days.
where did you get the keyed 12 volt source from for the box?

Re: MSD Ignition setup pictures - 09/21/21 10:22 PM

there is a hotwire that works off of the key that goes to the power side of the hei coil but dont you still need that one for the coil?where can i grab a second one from?
© 2021 MonteCarloSS.com Message Board