CELEBRATING 20 YEARS!

Thread Like Summary
BadSS, FrankOC, LilSam86
Original Post (Thread Starter)
#1075426 10/19/2022 5:45 PM
by LilSam86
LilSam86
Hi all!

I'm new here so forgive me if this thread belongs in another section. I've had my 86 SS for over a year and a half now that I got at auction. I bought it sight unseen but got lucky as it looks and runs great. It has a few mods that I know of, but being I participated remotely in the auction, I didn't have the opportunity to ask the seller about it. The thing I wanted to find out is if anyone can tell me whether they think it has an aftermarket cam (I have video). Aside from taking the engine apart, which I don't have the knowledge, facilities, or physical capabilities to do so, can anyone tell by listening to the idle whether its stock or not?

[video:youtube]https://youtube.com/shorts/4j6ZzOSRlQI?feature=share[/video]

(Edited to add video link)
Liked Replies
#1075432 Oct 20th a 01:09 AM
by 1 Slow SS
1 Slow SS
That's a very familiar sound. the cam is stock along with the engine I think. They were 9.5:1 compression which had a little bit of a throaty idle.
1 member likes this
#1075430 Oct 20th a 01:05 AM
by 86ttop
86ttop
From the sound of the exhaust at idle,I'd say it's the stock cam. Enjoy your MCSS!!
1 member likes this
#1075447 Oct 21st a 08:20 PM
by BadSS
BadSS
Originally Posted by LilSam86
ECU disconnected (I'm assuming due to there being no check engine light on with the exhaust). Aftermarket
Since this is an old OBD1 computer, it’s possible you wouldn’t get a code with just exhaust work - so that doesn’t necessarily mean it’s disconnected. I’d guess it isn’t disconnected as good as it seems to be idling. If you pop the hood and hear the carb clicking you’re probably good.
1 member likes this
#1075529 Oct 28th a 02:27 AM
by mmc427ss
mmc427ss
I quess I rebuilt to many of those CCC carbs. The Qjet small spare carb parts Sucret's case had 8 plugs in it. It's a way old Sucret case, saw one of that vintage in the antique store for a couple bucks, empty.
If you want a plug just PM me with an address.
Bob
1 member likes this
Help MonteCarloSS.com

Recent Contributors
86BlackSuperSport
Authorized Vendors
Tell them you saw it
on MonteCarloSS.com!

Dixie Monte Carlo Depot
Mikes Montes